You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Blinded by the star - famous player effect

37 comments in this topic

sbcptnitro    490

Lol..."famous player" 

Almost an oxymoron.

i guess the word "famous" is not only relative, but subjective as well.

Snargfargle    680
8 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I figure folks like Notser can better justify spending their time creating content on YT and elsewhere as opposed to posting in the forums. If you add them to your contact list at least you can see if they're playing. Creepy, eh? 

I've never been overly concerned about who is who or where in Internetland. I mainly watch historical and "how to" videos on YouTube, do a bit of tech support on a couple of tech forums and post a bit in the forum associated with the game I'm currently playing. I've never had a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account. I did once have personal website where I posted lecture notes when I was teaching but that's long gone.

That said, I do get a kick out of it when a fairly big YouTuber with hundreds of thousands of subscribers responds to a comment I've made. From looking at most of the comments they receive they probably are happy when they get one that's not a flame post or a troll. It's amazing the amount of ire some popular YouTubers will get for posting something as simple as changing a tractor tire or building a bookcase. Heck, there's a girl who raises foster kittens and gets maybe a thousand views a day, but even she gets hate posts. A person must have to have a lot of anger bottled up to find something to hate about a girl and her kittens. 

Edited by Snargfargle

saw zoup driving the name of a ship I didn't recognize - I backed up from behind the island I was setting up behind to take a look and proceeded to get detonated by him.  at least I made the video he shot!  

Pope_Shizzle    3,537

Not that I’m famous but I had a guy in a game last week who said hello to me in all chat at the start of the match. I didn’t recognize him but when game started he charged across the map to try and snipe my Montana in his Bismarck.  Spent a full 5 minutes shooting at me from 20k while blissfully igniting broadside cruisers at 10km and the yolo DD who derp torped him.  It’s weird sometimes. 

PrairiePlayer    112

Since many players do not regularly visit the forums, famous names don't always get a reaction.  When I recognize someone I will tell my team to focus down on so-and-so because he is a good player.  You would be surprised how often the response is "Why, who is he"?  

• Cool 1

Megrim3    75

Just last night I had the reds focusing me at 22km out when there were at least 4 ships closer to them. 

I asked them why they they were not shooting at anyone else, the response was "you're too dangerous to be kept alive". I just sailed to the back of the team and they lost both games.

Then I promptly said that focusing the better players will make you lose if you're not careful. 

I'm really not that popular, not even close to a streamer, but it's s mistake to do this regardless. 

Edited by Megrim3

DiddleDum    70

I had two matches this week, where I was on a team with well-known clans, in their three-man divisions.

Well hell!   This one's a slam dunk.   I could literally go AFK and it's a guaranteed win!    Don't worry - I sailed along with them, focusing fire, and trying not to derp in their unicum presence.

And our team got ROFL-stomped in both instances.

Herr_Reitz    1,274
3 hours ago, DiddleDum said:

I had two matches this week, where I was on a team with well-known clans, in their three-man divisions.

Well hell!   This one's a slam dunk.   I could literally go AFK and it's a guaranteed win!    Don't worry - I sailed along with them, focusing fire, and trying not to derp in their unicum presence.

And our team got ROFL-stomped in both instances.

My dad always told me trouble comes in odd numbers... most of the three man divisions I've encountered on my team have met with the same success as your teammates. If you think about that it is true, to an extent... Take three guys for example... two can believe one way the other doesn't... majority wins they say but what usually happens is the two pressure/convince the third to go along. 

Snargfargle    680
43 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

My dad always told me trouble comes in odd numbers...

Last week my 7-month-old great niece crawled into the living room, making a beeline for the cat. Her great grandpa said "Uh oh, here comes trouble."

Edited by Snargfargle

BlindAF    29
4 hours ago, Megrim3 said:

Just last night I had the reds focusing me at 22km out when there were at least 4 ships closer to them.

I get that all the time when MM throws my Hipper into a T10 match-up. Don't need to be famous to receive all the attention.