You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

US cruiser split: what happens if I'm grinding the Baltimore?

14 comments in this topic

Members
595 posts

I'm currently grinding the Baltimore, and was wondering what will happen when WG drops the Baltimore to Tier 8 from Tier 9. Specifically, will I be given a Buffalo (Tier 9) for free? Will this mean that I start with no ship XP on this new ship, or will they credit me whatever I had earned with the Baltimore (perhaps as free XP)? I'm considering free XPing to the Des Moines to avoid potentially having to start the Tier 9 grind all over, but wanted to know if anyone has heard anything about what WG may do. I wasn't around when the DD splits happened, and am not sure how WG handled that.

[QQ7]
Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
Just now, guns_at_last_light said:

I'm currently grinding the Baltimore, and was wondering what will happen when WG drops the Baltimore to Tier 8 from Tier 9. Specifically, will I be given a Buffalo (Tier 9) for free? Will this mean that I start with no ship XP on this new ship, or will they credit me whatever I had earned with the Baltimore (perhaps as free XP)? I'm considering free XPing to the Des Moines to avoid potentially having to start the Tier 9 grind all over, but wanted to know if anyone has heard anything about what WG may do. I wasn't around when the DD splits happened, and am not sure how WG handled that.

You will get the new T9 Buffalo in your port, and you will keep the Baltimore as well at T8. 

Last time they adjusted the trees, I believe you got all of the ship XP converted to free XP, if you were still grinding it, but I could be mistaken.  You will get a base hull Buffalo with no XP for sure.

Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

You won't have to start the grind all over, that's for certain. What will happen is the same as what has happened with the Russian and Japanese destroyer line splits, but if that isn't enough to reassure you, (which is understandable), then know that Wargaming will be letting us know well in advance.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,185 posts
3,443 battles

I'll be on the Balty to (grinding the last 10K XP on NO today). I'm not sure how it will work, but WG has been pretty good about compensating everyone on past line splits, so I'm not too worried. I have the Cleveland, looking forward to that upgrade. I hope they discount the commander respec, because the desired points may change.

But, the split is quite a ways down the road (spring at the earliest I'd guess), though still ahead of where I would have guessed. So plenty of time before it happens.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,922 posts
1,736 battles
11 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

If I've got until spring 2018 I should just complete the Baltimore grind and use the free XP on something else. Thanks for the feedback, all.

Pretty much.  Just grind it and then if you still have a little bit left before the split happens, free XP the last bit just to be safe.

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
39 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

You won't have to start the grind all over, that's for certain. What will happen is the same as what has happened with the Russian and Japanese destroyer line splits, but if that isn't enough to reassure you, (which is understandable), then know that Wargaming will SOON be letting us know well in advance.

Had to add the trademark 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,663 posts
24,352 battles

If you have the Baltimore you will end up with the new T9 CA which inherited the XP and captain from the Baltimore. If you still have the other ships you get the downtiered version, the Dallas, the Helena and the Cleveland plus 3 port slots and some 6-8 points captains. The Cleveland will be stock.

Members
848 posts
5,505 battles

The first ever tech tree split I faced in a Wargaming product was in WoT, waaay back when the T30 was the tier X heavy tank instead of the tier IX tank destroyer. I've been playing a long time.

What normally happens is that you keep the ship you have as it moves across tiers, and you get its tech tree replacement. So you'll get the tier 9 replacement, and keep the Baltimore. The Baltimore's xp will probably be moved to the tier 9.

Members
4,251 posts
16,405 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

But, the split is quite a ways down the road (spring at the earliest I'd guess), though still ahead of where I would have guessed. So plenty of time before it happens.

I sure hope that it's a lot sooner than that. I cant see WG announcing something that many players have been waiting for, for a long time, half a year before it's released.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,185 posts
3,443 battles
18 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I sure hope that it's a lot sooner than that. I cant see WG announcing something that many players have been waiting for, for a long time, half a year before it's released.

Let's look at their past history.

RN BBs

Remember, WG doesn't operate on normal logic.

• Cool 2