You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Buzzardsluck

1pm to 5pm worse players ever. EST

24 comments in this topic

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
8,689 battles

This has to be the worse group of players in this game, in this time slot. After 5pm the game changes. During this time it is one steam roll after another, no close games. Anyone else experience this or is there another time period that sucks. Plus Friday to the weekend is a double whammy. 

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,358 posts
10,527 battles

Cluck like a chicken, must be a chicken? 

Members
2,229 posts
11,347 battles
4 minutes ago, Buzzardsluck said:

This has to be the worse group of players in this game, in this time slot. After 5pm the game changes. During this time it is one steam roll after another, no close games. Anyone else experience this or is there another time period that sucks. Plus Friday to the weekend is a double whammy. 

Steamrolls have happened far more frequently but at all times of the day. Two big reasons are clan feature being implemented which increased the teamwork effect. Second is the widening of the skill gap between intelligent and try hard players vs. unintelligent and casual players. Unintelligent try hards and intelligent casual players hang around average in performance. But all it takes is a division of three unicums or a division of three potatoes to cause a steamroll. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF4]
Members
218 posts
7,326 battles

Lack of playing/holding objectives. Everyone wants to shoot from sidelines and not get hit back. Drop a point in Priority Target and get in there [team] lol

[YETI]
Beta Testers
2,904 posts
23,922 battles

Blow-out happens at all times of the day and night and especially during the week-ends 

[CK5]
Members
1,212 posts
12,105 battles

After several tries playing during that time slot I finally gave up and only play in the evenings.  I don't know if it is due to the low server population, but matches seemed to end in blow-outs all too frequently.  

Members
2,255 posts

I tried all times of day... 2-5 pm seems to be the best time. I've been racking up wins left and right. Though, I've been playing T5 only for the past week... That has something to do with it. T8-10 is the worst by far for teams. I see way more blow outs at those tiers. I lost about 1% win rate in from September to October. Since November I've been playing lower tier and getting better games. I got about 0.5% of my win rate back.

[WOLFG]
Members
26,644 posts
6,721 battles
4 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

You are equally all bad in my eyes.

....said the prostitute with bad aim who wouldn't wear glasses.

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
634 posts
25,835 battles
3 hours ago, Kevik70 said:

You are equally all bad in my eyes.

I must Agree no matter what time of day I play unless I'm playing ranked all of you pretty much suck. When I am playing ranked It cuts that number in half. That is all. 

Members
31 posts
4,452 battles

I think I must be one of the unintelligent "try hards." I do try, very hard. But generally end up being pretty average in terms of results. It's usually a yo yo graph--suck badly for five games and then kick [edited]on two.

As for the OP, I play at the tail end of your time span, from around 4:30 to 6:30 EST. I don't really notice a shift in quality of game play during that time. You might think there would be, with the after-school crowd being called in for dinner and all. But do families even have a dinner hour any more? And are the kids the issue? Some of them are probably way better than I will ever be, both as ship killers and team players.

I started out with a point to make, what was it? Oh, yes, one of the "tipping point" features that I've seen moving from game to game is the presence of clanning or divisioning in a team. This was mentioned earlier as the one thing that can have a big effect on performance. Makes sense: if people can communicate with each other by voice (as opposed to the very inefficient chat box) then they're going to be much more in synch with each other, if not the rest of the team. Even having two or three people working together makes a difference.  Personally, I've not been responding to division invites because I tend to hop on and off the game during my two hours of play ie. play a match then go do something else, then come back for another later on. It might be that you get better teams, then, when you have more organized groups on. Do clans, or groups of friends who division up, tend to play more in the evening? I don't know as I'm generally not on then. Do these "groups" avoid the weekends, or play later in the evening then? Would be interesting to find out. Perhaps I should give it a go and see if things are different say after 9  PM. (if I can stay awake that long).

One other meandering thought: I rather like the unpredictability of the game ie. never knowing quite where the roulette wheel will land. If you knew every time you started a game that your team would be strong and work together, wouldn't that get rather boring after awhile? Odd as it may seem, one of my favourite parts of the game is often the first few minutes when everyone's jockeying for position and the outcome is very much up in the balance. I just get a kick out of the strategic elements, watching the little red and green pixels move around on the mini-map, trying to get a read on what's going on and what might happen 3 or 4 minutes hence. Even when my fellow green potatoes all go charging off in one direction, I rather enjoy being the one left behind watching the map and ocean, trying to work out how I can stay alive and take out a few red ships (even knowing that we'll probably be steamrolled in the end, with me as a thin tinfoil smear under that wheel). 

Sorry for the ramble, Buzzard. You've raised a good question though: when is the best time to play if you want some real team work? And a related one: how does the quality of the game play change depending on the day and/or the time. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts
23 hours ago, VGLance said:

Steamrolls have happened far more frequently but at all times of the day. Two big reasons are clan feature being implemented which increased the teamwork effect. Second is the widening of the skill gap between intelligent and try hard players vs. unintelligent and casual players. Unintelligent try hards and intelligent casual players hang around average in performance. But all it takes is a division of three unicums or a division of three potatoes to cause a steamroll. 

hes-right-you-know.jpg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,493 battles
On 11/10/2017 at 0:10 PM, Buzzardsluck said:

Play at 2 am.

Members
4,251 posts
16,405 battles
24 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Play at 2 am.

There ya go! All the 'lil kiddies have been put to bed in their jammy-jams by then. :Smile_teethhappy:

Seriously folks, we're going to see screwball players at every tier and every hour of the day and nothing's going to change that. Just hope that there'll be more spuds on the Red team than there are on yours.

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
8,689 battles

3 hours ago, bigsnit said:

I think I must be one of the unintelligent "try hards." I do try, very hard. But generally end up being pretty average in terms of results. It's usually a yo yo graph--suck badly for five games and then kick [edited]on two.

As for the OP, I play at the tail end of your time span, from around 4:30 to 6:30 EST. I don't really notice a shift in quality of game play during that time. You might think there would be, with the after-school crowd being called in for dinner and all. But do families even have a dinner hour any more? And are the kids the issue? Some of them are probably way better than I will ever be, both as ship killers and team players.

I started out with a point to make, what was it? Oh, yes, one of the "tipping point" features that I've seen moving from game to game is the presence of clanning or divisioning in a team. This was mentioned earlier as the one thing that can have a big effect on performance. Makes sense: if people can communicate with each other by voice (as opposed to the very inefficient chat box) then they're going to be much more in synch with each other, if not the rest of the team. Even having two or three people working together makes a difference.  Personally, I've not been responding to division invites because I tend to hop on and off the game during my two hours of play ie. play a match then go do something else, then come back for another later on. It might be that you get better teams, then, when you have more organized groups on. Do clans, or groups of friends who division up, tend to play more in the evening? I don't know as I'm generally not on then. Do these "groups" avoid the weekends, or play later in the evening then? Would be interesting to find out. Perhaps I should give it a go and see if things are different say after 9  PM. (if I can stay awake that long).

One other meandering thought: I rather like the unpredictability of the game ie. never knowing quite where the roulette wheel will land. If you knew every time you started a game that your team would be strong and work together, wouldn't that get rather boring after awhile? Odd as it may seem, one of my favourite parts of the game is often the first few minutes when everyone's jockeying for position and the outcome is very much up in the balance. I just get a kick out of the strategic elements, watching the little red and green pixels move around on the mini-map, trying to get a read on what's going on and what might happen 3 or 4 minutes hence. Even when my fellow green potatoes all go charging off in one direction, I rather enjoy being the one left behind watching the map and ocean, trying to work out how I can stay alive and take out a few red ships (even knowing that we'll probably be steamrolled in the end, with me as a thin tinfoil smear under that wheel). 

Sorry for the ramble, Buzzard. You've raised a good question though: when is the best time to play if you want some real team work? And a related one: how does the quality of the game play change depending on the day and/or the time. 

The window I can play really is from about 11am to 9pm. On Mondays I play at 9-12am and I think the gameplay is good then too. After about 6pm I find the game gets better working to 9pm when I get off line. You can get a good idea where the game is going from the start. Watch the DDs. If you get a DD that is lines up in front of a cap and he goes for the cap 2 over . That is an bad sign. I play a DD now and I always go to spot or scout the cap in front of me and work to the edge of the map and back in trying to keep enemy spotted. Divisions that do not comm with rest of team and go their own way. Another bad sign. Team calls out AB and the Div goes C and says nothing.

I am also a pretty much average player but to test your skills really, you must try Ranked play. Pick your best ship and play that. I played my Arizona and had a 52% win. I also played the Warspite which was bad, that is why I say pick your best ship and stay with that.  I am also ranting, but I guess my biggest [edited] in this game is teams that do not comm and play together. GL HF.

[NBNG]
Members
403 posts
8,689 battles
23 hours ago, MorbidGamer said:

I tried all times of day... 2-5 pm seems to be the best time. I've been racking up wins left and right. Though, I've been playing T5 only for the past week... That has something to do with it. T8-10 is the worst by far for teams. I see way more blow outs at those tiers. I lost about 1% win rate in from September to October. Since November I've been playing lower tier and getting better games. I got about 0.5% of my win rate back.

Maybe that is it then. Play my teir 5 Texas then. 

[SYN]
Members
300 posts
11,891 battles

Steamrolls = poor programing in matchmaker algorithm....  - intentional programming parameters set by author (WG)

Edited by chopshop64
  • Cool 1

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles
On 11/10/2017 at 2:10 PM, Buzzardsluck said:

GitGud.gif

As others have said, all it takes is a three man division of unicums are a three man division of potatoes on either team to cause a steamroll. The trick is to be in the division of unicums. My WR usually increases a fair amount especially during weekends for this reason.