Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wtfovr

Happy Birthday Marines

29 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,964 battles

Happy 242d Birthday Marines!

From a squid....

It never ceased to amaze me, that anytime we celebrated the Marine Corps birthday, no matter where, there was always cake, and even in my small detachment of 5 0861 Marines, the oldest Marine always had more time in the Marine Corps than the youngest Marine had in his entire existence.

• Cool 4

Members
1,296 posts
867 battles

Kill.

Now, USMC flag? I mean, the Coasties got their's, so it's only fair right?

Edited by DeliciousFart
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles

I'm Canadian, but I've known a number of Marines, including a buddy (also Canadian) who served as a Marine in Viet Nam. 

You folks have my respect for your service over the centuries.

But - have US Marines ever taken part in boarding actions?  Just curious.

Members
1,296 posts
867 battles
4 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

I'm Canadian, but I've known a number of Marines, including a buddy (also Canadian) who served as a Marine in Viet Nam. 

In the traditional sense? Probably way back in the Revolutionary War or Barbary Wars.

[WOLFG]
Members
26,774 posts
6,791 battles
10 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

I'm Canadian....

As well as respect for our common ability to do what we do with limited budgets.... :Smile_teethhappy:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts
23 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

The oldest Marine always had more time in the Marine Corps than the youngest Marine had in his entire existence.

One of dad's students, who sort of thinks of him as her foster dad, has a girl who is on her first deployment with the Marines in Korea. I hear you though about the age of some of those lifers. When I was a private, we had a command sergeant major who was retiring after 35 years in. He had served twice as long as I had been alive and had fought in three wars.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
20 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

In the traditional sense? Probably way back in the Revolutionary War or Barbary Wars.

Barbary war. I believe those were Marines that boarded The Philadelphia and burned her cause the dang pirates had captured her. Someone will know this for sure. "To the shores of Tripoli!"

Also thru the years the Marines have boarded a lotta ladies in various ports around the world....according to a couple of ex-Marine buddies I know. :Smile_glasses:

Edited by dmckay

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles

My entire ship board time in the USN was in the Gator Navy, so I work along side with these brave men and women. We got drunk together, ate together, fought each other, fought with each and picked on each other .

I would proudly stand side by side with them at anytime.:Smile_honoring:

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,499 battles
39 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Did so in the Revolution, Barbary Wars, War of 1812 and a few small engagements after the civil war.

Members
610 posts
8,438 battles

Thank you Mr. Squid, best damn sea goin taxi service on the globe. :Smile_honoring:

My father was a Navy lifer, so I grew up in the Navy and served in my Marine Corps.

Semper Fidelis Marines, Happy Birthday.

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,964 battles
52 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Marines did do ship takedowns in the Arabian Gulf on blockade runners in the 90s.   We did a take down on a container ship that failed to stop for inspection.

I was with BLT 2/5 when we put the SEALs in the water and the Marines did an aerial insertion fast roping in two infantry platoons to secure the ship while the SEALs boarded from the side.   Cobras and Huey gunships covered the boarding.  

Since I was the squid.  My job was to take charge of driving and navigating the ship back to a location where we’d turned the ship over to a Navy prize crew to bring it into port.

• Cool 1

[V1LIN]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
606 posts
7,573 battles

Happy birthday Devil Dogs. 242 years strong and still charging forward. Ole' Chesty is smirking from up high for such a long heritage.

Semper fidelis.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,499 battles
19 minutes ago, injunmick said:

Thank you Mr. Squid, best damn sea goin taxi service on the globe. :Smile_honoring:

My father was a Navy lifer, so I grew up in the Navy and served in my Marine Corps.

Semper Fidelis Marines, Happy Birthday.

e-navy-veterans-come-first-kinda-like-ub

Thank you from a Radio Battalion Marine. 

KYVQmFaX.png

• Cool 1

[KIA-A]
[KIA-A]
Members
666 posts
9,189 battles

crazy one of the youngest countries in the world created such a hellborn group of individuals that can bring such fear into the enemies, happy birthday.

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
885 posts
9,976 battles

Happy Birthday to the Marines, I'm sure every jarhead is happy today!  Enjoy your day, Semper Fi from a sailor!  :Smile_honoring:

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,277 posts
19,110 battles
1 hour ago, IronWolfV said:

e-navy-veterans-come-first-kinda-like-ub

Thank you from a Radio Battalion Marine. 

KYVQmFaX.png

Exactly this ^

Wannabees always try to say the USMC is just a department in the US Navy. They forget that we are the men's department of the Navy...

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday Marines!

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

As a dirty colonizer civvie from across the pond, Happy Birthday all the same :).

Members
4,277 posts
16,559 battles
9 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Wannabees always try to say the USMC is just a department in the US Navy.

My Dad was a Combat Engineer in the 11th Airborne Division in WWII (127th A/B Engineer Battalion, Baker Company) and fought in the Leyte and Luzon Campaigns. During the occupation of Japan just after the war ended, he said the 11tth A/B had a lot of contact with Marines and they discovered that telling Marines that they were a part of the Navy got some very intense responses. He said "damn those guys were tough!" and grinned. :Smile_great:

Those must've been some hellacious brawls with Marines vs Paratroopers. :Smile_ohmy:

[O_S_D]
Members
119 posts
4,822 battles

3 hours ago, wtfovr said:

It never ceased to amaze me, that anytime we celebrated the Marine Corps birthday, no matter where, there was always cake

Let's get them a cake, then! 

Uv7eB7S.jpg

Sign in to follow this