Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: USS Kidd

281 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,720
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles

Third game.  Saipan thought he was going to camp fighters over my smoke cloud while I was capping.  I think this ship will appeal to people who like gunboats, and aren't too worried about the loss of torpedoes.  It's a mini-USN cruiser.

shot-17.11.10_09.15.42-0394.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,720
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
3 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Saw her in a match playing this little guy.

 

If you don't mind my asking, LWM, why the heck didn't you take up my offer to run my Shokaku or Taiho with Kidd? From your review, it doesn't sound you paid too much attention whether a Kidd in full AA can reliably fight off a CV sortie. The AA Fletcher/Gearing I've had misfortune to face generally shredded my planes 2/3 as fast as a dratted AA cruiser, and Kidd's a Fletcher cousin.

The two games I have seen CV's in, Kidd has done fairly well.  In the first game, the Lexington finally managed to catch me in between DF and got me with DBers.  The attempts cost him 22 birds.  The second game with CVs was a saipan.  He came near me twice:  The first time he tried to make a DB run on our Mo.  I shot down two, the mo shot down a few more before the Saipan was able to pull the surviving three back.  The second time he came near me, I was smoked, and blew all three of his fighters out of the sky.

I'm not running a full AA build; I'm using my Fletcher/Sims captain with no AFT, no manual AA.  All I have is BFT and the AA module on the ship.  \

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,380
[SIM]
Members
4,339 posts
7,347 battles
27 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Let me ease your choice.  2nd game, first one where I remembered my premium consumables.  Some teams refuse to be carried.

shot-17.11.10_08.56.54-0574.jpg

:Smile_honoring: Well, one game isn’t a trend, but it is good to see that Kidd is capable of these kind of numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,720
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

:Smile_honoring: Well, one game isn’t a trend, but it is good to see that Kidd is capable of these kind of numbers. 

I look at it kind of the same way I look at Scharnhorst:  A DD for cruiser mains.

EDIT:  Pound for pound, I think Lo Yang is probably the better ship; the hydro is quite devastating.  Right now Lo Yang doesn't have access to my 19 point USN DD captain though.  Most DD players like their torps too much to enjoy Kidd.  For us cruiser guys though who don't rely on our torps as much though, Kidd is a very good ship.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,452 battles

Do I need another USN DD? No..

Do I want another USN DD! Yes..

I can't afforded it and I don't need it... yet I am debating getting it anyways. Lol

Great review as always Mouse +1

 

the above statement sums it up, yet the truth is I cannot afford $41.00 USD.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,105
[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,836 posts
9,171 battles
12 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Third game.  Saipan thought he was going to camp fighters over my smoke cloud while I was capping.  I think this ship will appeal to people who like gunboats, and aren't too worried about the loss of torpedoes.  It's a mini-USN cruiser.

shot-17.11.10_09.15.42-0394.jpg

WG was expected to remove stealth aa from smoke at one point, we will see in the future. Enjoy the ability while you can, anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166
[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

IMO the best review yet. Very informative, well laid out, and funny to boot. I appreciate the time and effort that went into this write-up. The charts were especially helpful to see where the Kidd sits in comparison with other DDs. The screenshots are always well done, and well captioned, Solid Up-Vote for this one.

 

In the mid 1990's there was a first person tactical shooter, Terra Nova. It was one of the first games to incorporate "stealth" missions into a game, where the  object was to accomplish a task without being spotted. The missions were taut, and suspenseful, and I loved that aspect of the game. 

 

When I came to WoWs the DDs I enjoyed the most were the IJN "stealth-botes". The ability to be unseen, while scouting forward gave me the same type of thrill that I had in Terra Nova. The only problem was that they were at a disadvantage when it they had to contest a Cap. Slow turrets, and low number of barrels meant a fight with a US DD was often to be avoided. The Kidd combines the stealth aspect, with very serviceable close range guns for contesting Caps. That is right up my alley.

 

I'll be picking up the USS Kidd, and take however long it requires me to wring out her full potential. I have never tried to Rank out, but this boat needs to have a Jolly Roger flying from the mainmast (a corgi version will have to suffice for now). 

 

Again thanks for the splendid review, of an interesting ship. :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,586 battles

Not that I'm much of a DD player, but I'm having a hard time seeing an upside to this ship. A gunboat DD in an environment that punishes DDs for firing their guns. I feel that Atlanta would be a better choice here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,720
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
1 minute ago, nuttybiscuit said:

WG was expected to remove stealth aa from smoke at one point, we will see in the future. Enjoy the ability while you can, anyhow.

He was trying to spot me for his team.  Shooting the fighters down was a bonus.  I only brought it up to highlight the ability to kill t9 fighters.  He tried to pull them back, and they died before he could do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,586 battles
9 hours ago, ksix said:

Looks like a good gunboat. Don't know how many they'll sell at ~$50 though, seems more like a $30-$35 ship. Going to take way more work in this to earn the same as pretty much any tier 6, 7, 8 premium BB

Given that Sims is one tier lower and half the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
576
[-GPS-]
Members
2,883 posts
32,529 battles

Great review!  Thank you. 

Do I need another USN DD?  No.

Do I need another Tier 8 DD?  Definitely no.  Benson, Lo Yang, Z-23, Akizuki, Harekaze, Kagero, Ognevoi, and Kiev already in harbor. 

Will I get the Kidd?  Of course silly!  

The biggest problem will be figuring out which captain works best. I don’t think I’ll play her much when alone. However, picture a North Carolina and Mogami (155) in division with the Kidd. Or team up with an Akizuki and a Chapayev. Or an Edinburgh which needs a spotter to excel. Or a Shokaku to make sure my Atlanta captain gets fed enough planes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,114 posts
6,094 battles

I'd like to know why it was given less agility given it's the same hull as the Fletcher.

 

For a ship that relies on scouting that means getting hit more and completely negates the heal if you take 2 extra hits every time you're spotted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,720
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
1 minute ago, Ajax_the_Great1 said:

I'd like to know why it was given less agility given it's the same hull as the Fletcher.

 

For a ship that relies on scouting that means getting hit more and completely negates the heal if you take 2 extra hits every time you're spotted.

That's actually the one complaint I have about the ship, she feels very sluggish, even with rudder mod 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,642
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,715 posts
16,681 battles
1 hour ago, Skarp_AGW said:

(a corgi version will have to suffice for now).

That's the superior one anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,392
[NG-NL]
Members
6,035 posts
9,663 battles
2 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

The two games I have seen CV's in, Kidd has done fairly well.  In the first game, the Lexington finally managed to catch me in between DF and got me with DBers.  The attempts cost him 22 birds.  The second game with CVs was a saipan.  He came near me twice:  The first time he tried to make a DB run on our Mo.  I shot down two, the mo shot down a few more before the Saipan was able to pull the surviving three back.  The second time he came near me, I was smoked, and blew all three of his fighters out of the sky.

I'm not running a full AA build; I'm using my Fletcher/Sims captain with no AFT, no manual AA.  All I have is BFT and the AA module on the ship.  \

But after DF runs out, it's vulnerable.

 

Cause I'm wondering if WG really plans to roll out CV rework after yet another indirect nerf to the class. All DDs had to do to survive a CV sortie is stay within 4km of friendly AA for most part--it seems the campfest meta separates those smart DDs from the rest that simply try for caps at start then cry about CV coming after them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
164
[GLF]
Members
911 posts
14,572 battles

7am *Wakes up* 

7:05am *pays for kidd*

7:06am  *reads this review to see how good or bad the boat is now that its sitting in port*

 

Thanks for reviewing this and filling in the graphed blanks you teased us with in the other thread :)    Can't wait to try this AA! 

 

WG: I have fulfilled my obligation when i said I would buy this the moment it came out.   Now on to requesting a T5 Premium USN DD :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,720
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
1 minute ago, Reymu said:

But after DF runs out, it's vulnerable.

 

Cause I'm wondering if WG really plans to roll out CV rework after yet another indirect nerf to the class. All DDs had to do to survive a CV sortie is stay within 4km of friendly AA for most part--it seems the campfest meta separates those smart DDs from the rest that simply try for caps at start then cry about CV coming after them.

I can download Aslains so I can get install the training room mod, and we can test it out after I get some lunch if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,392
[NG-NL]
Members
6,035 posts
9,663 battles
3 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I can download Aslains so I can get install the training room mod, and we can test it out after I get some lunch if you want.

Great idea--I was planning to be on tonight anyway since close to Tashkent and wanted to resume grind to Yamato (currently 179K or so ship XP on her). Just send me a message in port, probably will forget since college homework today and dinner w/ fam and possibility of adopting a cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
650 posts
1,842 battles

I had high hopes for this and I was almost ready to buy it just to have the later-style Fletcher bridge... but if it's only good at two things, and one of them the game doesn't reward and the other is irrelevant in a large share of matches, then there are better uses for my $40.

 

If 5"/38 guns ever got the buff they deserved, or if it had one set of Fletcher torps instead of one set of Benson torps, or even if it had one set of Benson torps with a fast reload, that would be different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,720
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
19 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Great idea--I was planning to be on tonight anyway since close to Tashkent and wanted to resume grind to Yamato (currently 179K or so ship XP on her). Just send me a message in port, probably will forget since college homework today and dinner w/ fam and possibility of adopting a cat.

OK sounds good, going to hit up firehouse and then I'll be back.  I don't have a full AA spec captain, but my Pensacola has both BFT and AFT, I will use that skipper to maximize the AA as much as I can for the test.  With the P-cola captain, Kidd has an AA rating of 72.

Edited by crzyhawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127
[DARTH]
Members
553 posts
13,644 battles

Hmm ...  Want ... don't want ... don't need ... but want.

To DD or not to DD, that is the question.

whether 'tis nobler on the seas to suffer

the shells and pedoes of outrageous fortune

or to take Arms against a sea of BBs

and by torpedoes end them: to sink; to sail

no more...

Wait, what?

At least it's payday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,944
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,294 posts
9,279 battles
3 hours ago, Reymu said:

Saw her in a match playing this little guy.

 

If you don't mind my asking, LWM, why the heck didn't you take up my offer to run my Shokaku or Taiho with Kidd? From your review, it doesn't sound you paid too much attention whether a Kidd in full AA can reliably fight off a CV sortie. The AA Fletcher/Gearing I've had misfortune to face generally shredded my planes 2/3 as fast as a dratted AA cruiser, and Kidd's a Fletcher cousin.

I don't mind you asking at all.  I don't division with premiums while testing for a couple of reasons.

  1. Sometimes I'm not allowed to division while testing premium ships.  It depends on the permissions available at the time.
     
  2. I spend a lot of time writing while playtesting.  This makes me a very poor division-mate as I go AFK for twenty minutes or up to an hour as a collate the data and experiences of the matches into my review.  At any given moment when I'm in the midst of my review process, I have at least two to three reference articles open, the world of warships wiki, gamemodels3d, navweapons, a graph making program, notepad, YouTube and a conversation or three going on in Discord about the ships performance with other testers.  While I may sometimes binge a set of games, it's not uncommon that when inspiration or a point of fascination strikes that my attention is dragged away from the client to record my thoughts.

    While some people say they might not mind being lost and forgotten, when I realize that I've left someone hanging, I feel bad, so I generally make it a rule to fly solo.

As for Kidd's ability to fight off CVs -- she can easily bully a tier VI and most tier VII squadrons that threaten her airspace with her Defensive Fire.   Even tier VIII planes have to respect her when she's blowing her whistle.  However, her Defensive Fire doesn't last very long and savvy CVs will bait and wait it out.  Without it, you're not more threatening that a Tirpitz at best, even with all the fixing strapped to your commander and ship.  No tier VIII IX or X CV is going to balk at taking a run against a Tirpitz and Kidd without her whistle is no different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×