You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thatGcat

IJN Cruisers are not battleships?

4 comments in this topic

[EREKT]
Members
23 posts
985 battles

I was digging deep on the forums into the basics of strategy/how to use BB's and learned a good bit about German BB's (thx for all the help!). now that I feel comfortable using my Konig I m trying to learn the ins and outs of IJN cruisers. I get the sense that since she is begging to be hit in her exposed cit and she has 203mm guns with good AP and decent HE I figured she likes to play in close range with her guns and 6km torps. I have had reasonable success hitting destroyers at 5 km (torpedo beats to boot). Despite this, y teams still lose and I'm not really doing anything impactful. in most games, all the cruisers who lead the charge get sunk and then I get surrounded and focus fired. is it right for me to be playing Furutaka so conservatively? and how can I make more of an impact? is there something I'm missing? love to hear thoughts!

Edited by thatGcat

Members
4,928 posts
5,713 battles

Heavy cruisers are meant to be played conservatively. Your RoF doesn't suit close range encounters, as you'll be out DPM'd if you do get in close, especially to a CL. Kite at range and try to not make yourself a target. Play the second line. Use your potent HE and higher shell velocity to accurately strike targets from range where it's harder for them to retaliate effectively(dispersion). Set a target on fire then switch to another, or reset the fire if they burn DCP. Repeat this until all ships in range have fires burning, then you can swap to AP for some extra damage to the superstructure of ships. Use AP on broadside cruisers at almost any range, your guns are big enough to get into the citadel. And if you're being charged close range by a CL, load AP and citadel him through the bow. 203mm AP is strong enough to overmatch the bows of most, if not all, low-mid tier cruisers.

And lastly: Torpedoes are a secondary weapon! You'll live a lot longer if you treat them as such. Torpedoes on IJN CAs should almost exclusively be used defensively(and the T6+ cruisers enforce this even more so with the rear facing torpedo arcs). The only time you should really use them offensively is if you find yourself caught off guard and CQC to another ship(DDs can be surprised too if they're not expecting torps from you), though you can also use them effectively in an ambush situation.

• Cool 1

[EREKT]
Members
23 posts
985 battles

it's good to know that I'm not a coward or doing it wrong if I'm not being aggressive in a heavy cruiser but what's kiteing? or does it just mean tail a friendly BB

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,488 battles

Kiting is basically getting the enemy to chase you while you spray fire on them