Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Priority Target for High Tier German DD?

15 comments in this topic

[W-P-E]
Members
486 posts

I found out that Priority Target is useless in Gearing, Shimakaze or Fletcher. If you are discovered, everyone shoots at you literally at the same time.

I am wondering what the situation is for German High Tier DD since I only reached tier 7 but I have to re-assign skills for a 14pt captain.

[TNG]
Members
303 posts
15,730 battles

Yep- don’t use it, if your detected I assume everyone is targeting you.  I don’t need more stress showing 7 ships targeting.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

I've found it pretty useful on my Khab and Udaloi. 

In those boats, someone is ALWAYS targeting you, because you're always firing. I do need to know when that count is getting too high. WASD hax only go so far. 

Still the point is valid for non-gunboats. 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,109 posts
8,510 battles

PT is life or death for most captains as you've hardly time to see who's aiming at you when detected.

Besides, when you pull flanking attacks or pop MB vs. a red shooting someone else, guess what, PT is necessary to warn if someone's aiming at you while tunnel-visioned.

Besides, PM is meh at best for protecting your torp tubes unless running the torp mod 3, as I understand it.

[BOTES]
Members
1,933 posts
6,675 battles

I never take PT on anything. PM master race.

Plus I usually do 1/4/6/8 builds so I can't afford to take two 1 pointers.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,831 posts
8,796 battles

I use PT on Akizuki and Germain DD just because i know i'll often use my guns in them so it always help knowing how many ship are targetting you. 

[DAKI]
Members
2,115 posts
8,427 battles

At least IMO PT is a must have on any DD. Your point is valid “just assume everyone is targeting you” but if I only had one ship aiming at me I’d be like “ehh ok I can dodge a few shots” vs 7 and in that case I’ll pop smoke and flee. It can be the difference between life and death, and IDK if its me or not but PM seems like a bit of a waste. I run it on the Khab but I see very little difference between a Khab with and without PM. Might just be me here

Edited by FireAndHEspam

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

I use PT on all my cruisers because cruisers are usually spotted any time they're engaging and there's a huge difference when someone targets you back, but for concealment-oriented DD's, it's usually just safe to assume that every competent player with clear line of sight to you is targeting you whenever you are detected, so the skill is unnecessary.  It is useful on the Russian gunboats for the same reason it's useful on cruisers, because the Russian gunboats are basically cruisers.

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,457 battles
On 11/9/2017 at 10:48 AM, shoy07 said:

Yep- don’t use it, if your detected I assume everyone is targeting you.  I don’t need more stress showing 7 ships targeting.

I find a hair bit useful in that it lets me know how long i can harass somebody before becoming an item of interest.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I really like PT - and use it on all my ships - from low tier DDs to high tier BBs.

Knowing when I can push in, when to angle hard, when to wiggle, and when to go dark - all that for the cost of a single point?

For me its an obvious choice - even on my DDs, I don't find I lose guns or torps often enough to justify trading that access to information for a 30% decrease in the chance of losing those modules.

I do have PM on my 19pt KMS BB Skipper - but only because I was left with a single spare point after a full secondary/concealment build - and PM seemed the obvious choice for that last single point (took PT for the first single point),

On cruisers, I'm far more likely to take EL as a second level one skill - but only in conjunction with PT.

Everyone's mileage will vary on the first skill level "must have" - but thats what works best for me.

[SYN]
Members
4,585 posts
11,469 battles

Unless you're playing a battleship or carrier, just saying "If I'm detected I just assume everyone is aiming at me" is overly simplistic.  Situations tend to be more complicated than this.  There's a big difference between knowing that you're seen, and knowing that someone (and how many) is actually targeting you, especially early in the match.  PT is a great aid for risk-management.  It is a crucial piece of information that affects how you approach certain situations.

In particular, during 1 vs 1 engagements with an unseen destroyer, PT is very effective helping you frustrate his attempts at sending torpedoes your way.  Those of you who do this know what I'm talking about.  PT pops up for a moment, then goes away, you change course.  Moments later you see one or two detected torpedoes steaming harmlessly by to one side...  Even if PT stays on, you know to keep WASD'ing periodically.

PT is more than just "someone is aiming at you".  It is a requirement on every DD and Cruiser I play, no matter what the tier or nationality.  Kind of a no-brainer, really.  Again, it's not as important for BBs and CVs.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
303 posts
15,730 battles
3 hours ago, Mulletproof said:

I find a hair bit useful in that it lets me know how long i can harass somebody before becoming an item of interest.

Map, Cap, and enemy awareness negates this in my opinion.  I’d rather use the points on something else. My 2 cents 

[TNG]
Members
303 posts
15,730 battles

Z52- I use PM, AR, LS, Vigilance, torp reload, RPF, and Concealment 

im a experienced DD player, I find RPF useful on DDs that have fast reloads useful because I can send torps in that general direction and early hoping to hit or at least slow down others dds coming to cap.  By the time I’m spotted, torps will be ready to fire again. 

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,457 battles
4 hours ago, shoy07 said:

Map, Cap, and enemy awareness negates this in my opinion.  I’d rather use the points on something else. My 2 cents 

Dont read too much into what i said-- i did mention only a hair useful. Its certainly not my first point to spend and likely only my last if its the only point left

Actually, kuckoo explained its usefulness in much more depth than i did.

Sign in to follow this