You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guinness77

Montana or Yamato

19 comments in this topic

guinness77    30

Hi guys,

I'm kind struggling with a direction to go in my next ship purchase and would like your input.

I enjoy cruisers and battleships.  I tend to push in hard, but I know better than to charge a cruiser towards any BB (or sail broadside to one).   I have been known to duck behind an island, but only to heal.  Than I charge back.  IN short, I'm conservatively aggressive. (No... I don't know how to say it better).

I'm debating between the Montana and the Yamato.  Some folks say they eat Yamatos for lunch in the Montana.  Others say it's the other way around.  (That's what I read from people during game play chit-chat.)  What do you think?

Thanks.

Chobittsu    1,828

Honestly you can kill a Montana with a Yamato just as easily as you can kill a Yamato with a Montana. There's no "I Win" ship, only one what compliments your playstyle or has a layout you are comfortable with
As a Yamato captain with a secondary build, I have plenty of fun.   It's really up to you though, do you want to have stars-and-stripes or a hinomaru?

1nv4d3rZ1m    3,420
6 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

I'm not sure what those 2 things are. hinomaru???

That was just a reference to which flag you prefer to have flying on your ship. 

To answer your question, both ships are good and neither one is incredibly tough. The Yamato has slow turrets and a raised citadel which make close range engagements less favorable, it also has a unique armor layout which makes any kind of angling impossible except bow on. So like the rest of the IJN BB line its better played farther in the back where in classic IJN style you rely on the accuracy and power of your guns. 

The Yamato is more of a sniper and the GK is more of a brawler with the Montana somewhere in between. So depending on how you want to play you can pick the one that fits the best. 

LancerUlysses    147

I have them both, they have a different flavor. Montana is better as far as maneuverability and the reliability of damage per salvo (12 vs 9 guns), but the Yamato doesn't care about angled targets. If yammie can see you, he can put the hurt on pretty hard. 

I found the grind for the Monty significantly easier psychologically, because there was always at least some aspect of the US line that improved each tier, even if it was only incremental. Yamato has that great dirty ugly that is Izumo, like a troll that sits on you if you try to get past him to reach the taco truck or ice cream parlor, or whatever is your analogy of a worthwhile anything. Amagi was great, Izumo sucked green whiffy eggs, and Yamato is a hella good ride. 

Those are my thoughts, again I have them both. Full disclosure, I am currently at 46% win rate with Yammie, and 66% win rate with Monty. I have fewer games in the Monty, but it feels like the US line prepared me better for it than for Yammie.  I still start my morning with a random in each of my T 10 BBs, and I am happy either way. 

• Cool 1

Soshi_Sone    1,063
3 hours ago, guinness77 said:

Thanks guys.... I think the Grober Kerfurst is looking better & better

Yamato:  The mid range hammer.  Alpha strike extraordinaire.  I used to brawl in the Yamato...but no more.  When I brawled I did a lot of early damage and got lots of secondary kills.  But my win rate was poor.  Now that I've completely respec'd for the mid range game, I'm doing much better.  Yamato is just too slow and cumbersome in the current meta for the close fight..except possibly the end game...but even then you gotta be careful depending on enemy.

Montana:  The mid range attrition king.  Just wear them down.  The good AA is nice too since top tier CVs can really be a pain. 

Grober:  I'm a brawler and for some reason, I just can't make this guy work.  I do better in my Gross (even in T10 games) than I do in the Grober.  It might just be the learning curve; I haven't figured it out yet.

Panzerlin    77
24 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Yamato:  The mid range hammer.  Alpha strike extraordinaire.  I used to brawl in the Yamato...but no more.  When I brawled I did a lot of early damage and got lots of secondary kills.  But my win rate was poor.  Now that I've completely respec'd for the mid range game, I'm doing much better.  Yamato is just too slow and cumbersome in the current meta for the close fight..except possibly the end game...but even then you gotta be careful depending on enemy.

Montana:  The mid range attrition king.  Just wear them down.  The good AA is nice too since top tier CVs can really be a pain. 

Grober:  I'm a brawler and for some reason, I just can't make this guy work.  I do better in my Gross (even in T10 games) than I do in the Grober.  It might just be the learning curve; I haven't figured it out yet.

Pretty accurate assessment of the three.  Since the lowering of Montana's citadel she has been quite a fun ship to go out with.  Unlike the Iowa sisters in my port, I opted for the ROF upgrade instead of the dispersion one and I like her gameplay.  GK has the doom aura (secondaries) but also handles the worst.  Rocking the 420mms on her just to make her more distinct from Montana.  Yamato was my first 10 and while the overmatch mechanics occasionally generate lol-nosepens, its not advisable to close the range regardless of having the biggest sticks.  Depending on opposition, you may have a DM+Zao combo raining 203mm annoyance at you all match or you might be given a free hand to nuke people with alpha.

All have their charms.

godzilla5549    959

I would vote for Montana any day of the week. Such a good ship and you can definitely work some wonders with her.

Yamato has around the same power level, but she is more uncomfortable and no where near as easy to play.

HazeGrayUnderway    2,488
On 11/7/2017 at 4:44 PM, guinness77 said:

Hi guys,

I'm kind struggling with a direction to go in my next ship purchase and would like your input.

I enjoy cruisers and battleships.  I tend to push in hard, but I know better than to charge a cruiser towards any BB (or sail broadside to one).   I have been known to duck behind an island, but only to heal.  Than I charge back.  IN short, I'm conservatively aggressive. (No... I don't know how to say it better).

I'm debating between the Montana and the Yamato.  Some folks say they eat Yamatos for lunch in the Montana.  Others say it's the other way around.  (That's what I read from people during game play chit-chat.)  What do you think?

Thanks.

Montana was my first Tier X BB, Yamato my second.  I had a lot of trial and error with these two.

A while back I put down some thoughts on Yamato, here.  Things that worked for me, things that didn't.  I'm not saying if you got Yamato, you'd have the same experience I did and will end up preferring the same things.  The 460mm guns are quite strong and will citadel most ships through the bow easily... Even Montana.

Montana?  Very solid BB at Tier X, very consistent gunnery, and the most safe USN BB in the game.  Also, the best Tier X BB AA in the game, hands down.  The reason for this is simple:  The Upgrade System for Slot 2 and Slot 3.

Slot 2:  I slot AAGM2 to improve my AA.

Slot 3:  I slot APRM2 to improve my Main Battery Dispersion by 11%.  This turns Montana into a very dangerous BB at range, only Yamato can be more precise.  The advantage Monty has is she can sling 12 shells down range compared to the larger, more powerful 9 of Yamato.

When a CV shows up, other Non-High Tier USN BBs are worried.  That Secondary Build, that Main Battery Build, that Survivability Build on IJN, German, RN Battleships are meaningless to CVs, because these builds do not buff AA capability.  USN BBs in these tiers incorporate AA easily without steep cost to their build the way it does other BB Lines.  The key is what Upgrade Slots 2 & 3 do, as I already mentioned.

GK is a solid choice, stupidly forgiving ship and the most powerful Secondaries in the game.  The only catch is "Broken German Optics" with some unreliable gunnery at range.  However, unlike Tier VII-IX Tech Tree German BBs, GK at least has 12 guns instead of 6-8.  I felt that the ship needed to get to Brawling range to really shine, but that can be problematic in High Tier matches because games tend to be very stand-off-ish for a long while.  You have to be patient, preserve the ship until it's time to commit and push hard.

Honestly, any of the Tier X BBs are fabulous.  They're pretty distinct in style and they're good in what they do.

Personally, even after owning all the Tier X BBs, I grew to prefer Montana for general purposes.  The more I played her, the more comfortable she felt.  Yes, even over my Conqueror.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Ulthwey    340
On 11/7/2017 at 7:44 PM, guinness77 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Montana is more competative of the two ever since they lowered its citadel.

Yami is just far too RNG dependent to be consistant. Even with 2.0 sigma, the accuracy of the guns is pretty bad, and EVEN when they hit they usually either overpen or bounce. A very disappointing ship, especially lately. The shell ballistics really need to be reworked on this thing. How the f*ck does an 18" shell bounce off of a New Orleans when its BROADSIDE!?!?!??!!

Edited by Ulthwey

Shadeylark    227
32 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Personally, even after owning all the Tier X BBs, I grew to prefer Montana for general purposes.  The more I played her, the more comfortable she felt.  Yes, even over my Conqueror.

Still at T9 for the brit line, but I agree.

The gk was my first t10 BB, and she's great when you can close and brawl.  But that generally requires a coordinated team which is hard to find in Randoms.

Yammy is very situational; it's only real advantage is in its ability to overmatch bow on bbs.  Outsde of that it's the weakest t10 BB imho (due to only 9 guns and a weird armor scheme)

The Monty is the Jack of all trades, master of none.  It can do everything but it can't dominate brawling like a gk or bow on campers like a yammy.  But because it isn't reliant on your enemy doing exactly what your specialized to counter, the Monty can handle a battle better overall.

HazeGrayUnderway    2,488
1 minute ago, Shadeylark said:

Still at T9 for the brit line, but I agree.

The gk was my first t10 BB, and she's great when you can close and brawl.  But that generally requires a coordinated team which is hard to find in Randoms.

Yammy is very situational; it's only real advantage is in its ability to overmatch bow on bbs.  Outsde of that it's the weakest t10 BB imho (due to only 9 guns and a weird armor scheme)

The Monty is the Jack of all trades, master of none.  It can do everything but it can't dominate brawling like a gk or bow on campers like a yammy.  But because it isn't reliant on your enemy doing exactly what your specialized to counter, the Monty can handle a battle better overall.

Consistent Gunnery on a Battleship that doesn't get easily deleted.  It's all you can ask for.

Shadeylark    227
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Consistent Gunnery on a Battleship that doesn't get easily deleted.  It's all you can ask for.

It's not just accuracy.  The armor scheme (especially since the citadel rework), and having more guns, better aa, better maneuverability... it all adds up.

The Monty can handle all situations equally well, but it won't dominate in any particular situation.  Vice-versa, it won't be particularly weak in any situations, like the gk is at range or the yammy is versus anyone not bow camping.

Yammy and gk are good boats but they trade away too much in exchange for being particularly good at certain things.

Edited by Shadeylark

Pope_Shizzle    3,556

Yamato has a higher skill floor.  Montana has a higher skill ceiling.  In other words, its easier to do well with a Yamato, but Montana has higher potential.

Misfit87    24

Since Montana had it citadel lowered I think it's the better ship. Yes Yamato can still over match any armor in the game, it still has a raised citadel and slow turret travers. At close range a Montana is going to be able to take out a Yamato 90% of the time. Plus Montana has fantastic AA where as Yamato does not and it's concealment at it's tier is second only to the British. I think with the power creep starting with the German line and continuing in to the British line and the citadel rework to US high tier BB's it's lost its title of best BB at tire 10. 

Sweetsie    212

The key for me is premiums. Do you have any US premiums? Mizzou, Alabama, Texas, Arizona? With IJN, do you have the KII, Mutsu or Ichy? There are more premiums on the way, but I like to maximize captain use when grinding a line, especially on 200% weekends....sucks to be only able to get that 200% once per day per captain.

Soshi_Sone    1,063
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The 460mm guns are quite strong and will citadel most ships through the bow easily... Even Montana.

Montana vs Yamato tip:  Note that the Yamato citadel is angled at the bow, making it FLAT to pens off about 45 degrees.  If you can get this angle and hit that sweet spot, Yamato is very vulnerable.  Ironically,  angling can actually exacerbate this vulnerability.  Another reason to keep Yamato at mid range unless there is only one enemy and you can keep them bow on.  Not bow on angled....but true bow on.