XXRed_DawnXX

Out of Curiosity... How many of you visited a museum ship?

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Have you ever been on a museum ship?   116 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been aboard a museum ship?

• Yes
    • No (I wish I could though)
  2. 2. If you have, How many?

• Sigh... only 1
    • Been on a couple
    • Been on a few (3-9)
    • 10+
    • Been on so many that I lost count

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

84 posts in this topic

Has anyone in the forum ever visited a museum ship? I know I have, and for each one, it was an interesting/awesome experience.

If you have, feel free to tell us which ship(s) you visited, and what was your experience like in the comments.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ships I visited:

B-39 (submarine): San Diego, CA.                                      USS Midway [CV-41](carrier): San Diego, CA. 

Star of India (1863 built sailing ship): San Diego, CA.        Berkeley (1898 built ferryboat): San Diego, CA.

USS Iowa [BB-61](battleship): San Pedro, CA.                  SS Lane Victory (victory ship): San Pedro, CA.                 

B-427 (submarine)[CLOSED}: Long Beach, CA.                RMS Queen Mary (ocean liner): Long Beach, CA.

SS Jeremiah O'Brien (liberty ship): San Francisco, CA.     USS Pampanito [SS-383](submarine): San Francisco, CA.   

Balclutha (1886 built sailing ship): San Francisco, CA.      USS Hornet [CV-12](carrier): Alameda, CA. 

USS Potomac (presidential yacht): Oakland, CA.              Relief [WLV-605] (light ship): Oakland, CA.    

U-505 (U-Boat): Chicago, IL.                                              USS Growler [SSG-577](submarine): N.Y.C., NY.       

USS Intrepid [CV-11](carrier): N.Y.C., NY. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by XXRed_DawnXX

Intrepid when i was a kid.  Wanted to go back when Wargaming did the Let's Battle at it but work had other plans.  Want to go back now since I've got a better appreciation and understanding of history then when I went the first time but...  Well it's in NY city and I hate the city :/

USS Texas, USS North Carolina, Queen Mary, USS Yorktown, USS Laffey, USS Clamagore, NS Savannah, USS Constellation

** Edit - I forgot the USS Arizona!

Edited by Spooooooooooooooooooooon

Needs an option for 'none' in the second question.

As for me, I've visited USS Nautilus.

If anyone visits Pearl Harbor - strongly recommend the Missouri. In addition to a great tour that covers its history thru the Gulf War modifications, there are former crew volunteers in a number of compartments who can really answer first hand experience questions & tell stories about the ship.   The last is going to be a vanishing resource so see it sooner rather than later!

Edited by hangglide42

I’ve been to 

Uss Missouri bb 63

Uss Midway Cv 41

Uss Bowfin 

a light ship in Astoria Oregon, and if you count some of three ccm boats, those too

Edited by checksix51_2

Yes, the Missouri is highly recommended. Did one of the tours that goes through parts of the ships. Only my family signed up that day so it was like a private tour 

German Corvette Hindensee,

USS MASSACHUSETTS BB59

USS JOSEPH P. KENNEDY, JR. DD850

USS LIONFISH SS298

HMCS haida

USS Salem

USS Little Rock

USS Casin Young

2 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

If anyone visits Pearl Harbor - strongly recommend the Missouri.

im working to go vist that and midway :/ im in ontario thou

13 minutes ago, XXRed_DawnXX said:

Has anyone in the forum ever visited a museum ship? I know I have, and for each one, it was an interesting/awesome experience.

If you have, feel free to tell us which ship(s) you visited, and what was your experience like in the comments.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ships I visited:

B-39 (submarine)                                   U-505 (U-Boat)                                   USS Hornet [CV-12](carrier)       USS Midway [CV-41](carrier)

B-427 (submarine)                                 USS Growler [SSG-577](submarine)   USS Intrepid [CV-11](carrier)     USS Iowa [BB-61](battleship)

USS Pampanito [SS-383](submarine)   SS Jeremiah O'Brien (liberty ship)      SS Lane Victory (victory ship)    USS Potomac (presidential yacht)

Relief [WLV-605] (light ship)                   RMS Queen Mary (ocean liner)           Berkeley (1898 built ferryboat)   Star of India (1863 built sailing ship)

Balclutha (1886 built sailing ship)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

would i win if i told you i live on a sailboat :)

I've visited USS Yorktown and USS Laffey at Patriots Point South Carolina.

And the USS LST325 visited my city by sailing up the Mississippi River, very cool indeed. 

2 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

what kind? after I was divorced, I lived on a DuFour 1/2 ton for almost a year.

1 minute ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

It's not a competition, yet for your effort... have a cookiesmart_20cookie_20pic_20copy_original.jpg.7923bd4006e8d26b101e6f282b0d20c5.jpg

Sadly only one... USS Hornet CV-12 in Alameda, CA. Would love to go to one of the Iowas someday.

1 minute ago, not_acceptable said:

1976 42' C&C landfall. built 20km at a plant in oakville ontario. one of the best years for the C&C sailboats. they were made with the old thick fibreglass with hulls like a racer and a cabin like a ocean cruiser.

3 minutes ago, XXRed_DawnXX said:

It's not a competition, yet for your effort... have a cookiesmart_20cookie_20pic_20copy_original.jpg.7923bd4006e8d26b101e6f282b0d20c5.jpg

HOW DID YOU KNOW MY SECRET WEAKNES GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We took our kids to DD946 USS Edson (Forrest Sherman class) this summer. Quite enjoyable outing!

6 minutes ago, not_acceptable said:

Image result for 1976 c&c 42' landfall

note: this is not mine but same make and model. mines a dark blue and has a white hard dodger. ill send a pic in a hour

1 minute ago, Black_Jack_Honour said:

Best "visit" was being allowed to lay a wreath for my dad off the bow of the Midway, on Pearl Harbor Day...

http://w8L2qI8.jpg

there's a pearl harbour day in the us? huh....

I have visited the Willialm A Irvin and the SS Meteor Great Lakes freighters along with the USCGC Sundew (WLB - 404) and USCGC Mackinaw (WLBB - 30) when they were still in service for non warships here in Duluth along with the Alabama & Drum in Mobile and the recovered remains of the Cairo in Vicksburg for warships.

USS Iowa

USS Midway

USS whateverthefuckthenameofthesubmarinebesidethemidwayis (Dolphin, apparently)

U-505

HMCS Haida

USS Edson

RMS Queen Mary

CCGS Alexander Henry (Canadian Coast Guard ice breaker), which is now docked 10 minutes from where I live :Smile_teethhappy:

SS William A. Irvin

Their may have been one or two other ships that I can't remember right now.

Edited by _Fantomex_

I've been on the WisKy. I really want to see more though.

USS Little Rock (CL-92/CLG-4)

USS The Sullivans (DD-537)

USS Croaker (SS-246)

HMCS Haida

USS Missouri (BB-63)

USS Bowfin (SS-287)

USS Cassin Young (DD-793)

USS Constitution

USS Massachusetts (BB-59)

USS Joseph P. Kennedy (DD-850)

USS Lionfish (SS-298)

East German Corvette Hiddensee