You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Carl

WoWS on Steam?

20 comments in this topic

Carl    346

I've been very AWOL recently and i noticed that WoWS is about to go onto steam soon. Any info on how this is going to work? Will it instal, download updates e.t.c. through steam, or will it just be a way to launch the launcher through steam?

Pope_Shizzle    3,537

You can play through either the regular client or through Steam.  The downside is that you can't merge Steam/WG accounts, so  if you want to play through Steam, you have to start over.

Carl    346

Aghhh. Bugger. Thats a nuisance.Was hoping it would  basically function as a replacement for the launcher. WG''ings launcher is bad the the WG center is even worse. Stema on the other hand is great, none of the lags in the background because WGC is doing somthing or the virtual shutdown of your internet whilst it downloads updates, (both).

Pope_Shizzle    3,537
6 minutes ago, Carl said:

Aghhh. Bugger. Thats a nuisance.Was hoping it would  basically function as a replacement for the launcher. WG''ings launcher is bad the the WG center is even worse. Stema on the other hand is great, none of the lags in the background because WGC is doing somthing or the virtual shutdown of your internet whilst it downloads updates, (both).

If you have avoided the WG game center, you can avoid the launcher as well.  Just find your WOWS install directory and shortcut the .exe for the actual game.  You'll still need to get the launcher out every so often to patch.

Carl    346
3 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

If you have avoided the WG game center, you can avoid the launcher as well.  Just find your WOWS install directory and shortcut the .exe for the actual game.  You'll still need to get the launcher out every so often to patch.

Oh i know that. The thing is the standard launcher isn't an issue when playing. it;s an issue when updating. Because unlike steam which uses spare capacity and makes itself the last priority on the internet download speed usage, the WoWS launcher makes itself nr1 priority shutting down my internet for hours at a time.

I'm actually in the process ATM of having to do a complete normal launcher re-install of WoWS and it's going to take like 2 days of no internet usage to sort itself out. Great way to boop me off TBH.

Reymu    465

Sounds like your ISP needs an overhaul. I get patched and done within 30 minutes here cause have Charter.

Kevik70    237

Actually I would think steam would take you to the launcher where you then log on. It was much like this when I played Star Trek online via steam.

Carl    346
2 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Sounds like your ISP needs an overhaul. I get patched and done within 30 minutes here cause have Charter.

Old copper cables and i'm a long way from the exchange. 150k down is the best the line can do.

Cruddy UK internet troubles.

zarny    6

Wait, lemme get this straight. Steam version ISN'T the same as WoWs version we have been playing thus far? I'm hearing that to use steam version I'd have to restart the game from tier 1?! Are we going to be on same severs? Will there be any indication on steam players vs non-steam players visible? The only reason I want to play through Steam is to keep track of my game hours and achievements on Steam.

RipNuN2    1,933
2 minutes ago, zarny said:

Wait, lemme get this straight. Steam version ISN'T the same as WoWs version we have been playing thus far? I'm hearing that to use steam version I'd have to restart the game from tier 1?! Are we going to be on same severs? Will there be any indication on steam players vs non-steam players visible? The only reason I want to play through Steam is to keep track of my game hours and achievements on Steam.

It's the same game on the same server you just login slightly differently. They didnt design the game though with steam integration in mind so existing accounts cannot merge into steam.

Doomlock    2,158

I did notice you were gone for a bit, welcome back! Have you read up on all the new news?

Carl    346

Ha, thanks. Not all but most. TBF i've been keeping a sort of weather eye out but the steam thing went totally under my radar. Not sure how hyper-active i'll bee, still getting pulled away by XCOm2 WoTC, Heliborne, TW:W2, and a few others a lot.Similar thing happened around last Halloween, managed to miss both years events :(. Not that it wasn;t a deliberate choice this time around, not enough hours in the day alas.

Stampz    221

The login flow is stupid.  If they can't link the accounts, at least make it so when the steam client launches it takes you to the WoWs login screen.

• Cool 1

Kevik70    237
8 minutes ago, Stampz said:

The login flow is stupid.  If they can't link the accounts, at least make it so when the steam client launches it takes you to the WoWs login screen.

Thats typically how MMOs work on steam I would think. Besides I would imagine many people use similar names as well (Well maybe not the anime fan bois.)

Skpstr    1,454
12 minutes ago, Stampz said:

Pretty sure that's how War Thunder works. I deleted it from Steam, because my playtime was sporadic and limited, so it seemed every time I had to play, I had 10 minutes worth of updating to Steam itself. I re-downloaded it from Gaijin site directly, and had no account issues, same launcher screen.

GhostSwordsman    1,003
1 hour ago, Kevik70 said:

Actually I would think steam would take you to the launcher where you then log on. It was much like this when I played Star Trek online via steam.

That's how Warframe works. You launch steam and click Warframe. Then the Warframe launcher opens up and checks for updates, then allows you to start the game via the launcher and you log in when the game loads.

Why WG couldn't do it this way baffles me. Just have Steam be an alternative way to use the launcher, like most of the other free to play MMO's on Steam...

oldblackdog    20
1 hour ago, Carl said:

Old copper cables and i'm a long way from the exchange. 150k down is the best the line can do.

Cruddy UK internet troubles.

Any wireless option available in the UK? I'm on a 4G wireless connection here in Florida, and downloads usually go pretty fast. Also, not much trouble with lag or internet crashes.

• Cool 1

Cruiser_DesMoines    1,207

Pretty surprised they can't unify the Steam thing. Elite Dangerous started out with it's own launcher, and is available through steam too. If you bought the game from their website (rather than steam) you can merge your account with your Steam even.

Carl    346
2 hours ago, oldblackdog said:

Any wireless option available in the UK? I'm on a 4G wireless connection here in Florida, and downloads usually go pretty fast. Also, not much trouble with lag or internet crashes.

That would have a data cap, with the number of game i own i can go through a 100gb in updates a month easy, somtimes more. Besides my PC doesn't have wifi. Prefer ethernet anyway for connecting to my router.

Carl    346

p.s thanks for the thought.

And yeah i'd expect steam to just send us to the in game login screen myself. Would make far and away the most sense. I mean what about forum integration, how are steam user going to post here exactly if it's associated with peoples steam accounts instead of their WG'ing account.

• Cool 1