You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SuperNikoPower

Were you at Let's Battle Tour aboard USS Lexington?

41 comments in this topic

[FEM]
Beta Testers
3,275 posts
740 battles

If so, share your photos and stories here. Maybe you will see them in an upcoming Warships Live. We met so many awesome people. Going through Twitter and other various social channels, we've seen tons of happy faces. Were you able to track down any of the World of Warships personalities and staff? Did you get some pictures with them? See something awesome on the deck of USS Lexington? Share away!

• Cool 1

[PRU]
Members
120 posts
4,779 battles

I learned more about Star Wars Galaxies than I probably ever wanted to know. :)

Seriously, good event, had a good time. Really nice swag and other than mistaking a cup of Chardonnay for Coke (it was dark, okay), I had fun.

Good to speak with you and meet Sith Lord Zath....

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I can't wait to see all the photos of the things I missed. Sad I couldn't go, but excited there is still hope of seeing the pics.

[FEM]
Beta Testers
3,275 posts
740 battles
32 minutes ago, jdlobo said:

I learned more about Star Wars Galaxies than I probably ever wanted to know. :)

Seriously, good event, had a good time. Really nice swag and other than mistaking a cup of Chardonnay for Coke (it was dark, okay), I had fun.

Good to speak with you and meet Sith Lord Zath....

I'm sorry you got stuck with that conversation. I accidentally nerd out about that game when it shows up. 

I was happy to meet you, SeaRaptor00, and FINALLY Zath. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,513 posts
28,229 battles
20 minutes ago, SuperNikoPower said:

I'm sorry you got stuck with that conversation. I accidentally nerd out about that game when it shows up. 

I was happy to meet you, SeaRaptor00, and FINALLY Zath. 

FINALLY Niko!  

I'm back at the airport, about to fly back home.  I have some serious mixed feelings right now...  

I had planned on creating a thread with a massive post.  Perhaps I'll just post here instead.  I have a lot to write.  

Cliff's notes version - this thing was f'in awesome.  Novel incoming!

• Cool 1

[FEM]
Beta Testers
3,275 posts
740 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Zath said:

FINALLY Niko!  

I'm back at the airport, about to fly back home.  I have some serious mixed feelings right now...  

I had planned on creating a thread with a massive post.  Perhaps I'll just post here instead.  I have a lot to write.  

Cliff's notes version - this thing was f'in awesome.  Novel incoming!

I can't wait. Have a safe flight home! Glad it was as awesome as you hoped. 

[-K-]
6,513 posts
28,229 battles

About to board and I'm only through writing about a few of the people I've met....  we'll see if I can finish this on my 2 hour flight :)

Also great pics hoopla!

Edited by Lord_Zath

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
794 posts
3 hours ago, SuperNikoPower said:

Those are some GREAT photos. Thank you for sharing them. Looks like you had tons of fun. 

You guys and gals put on a great show loved every minute of it.  Well worth the 9 hours of drive time 4.5 each way!  

[-K-]
6,513 posts
28,229 battles

Regarding the Let's Battle Tour on USS Lexington Saturday, November 4th 2017

Wow.  I was blown away.  I'm sitting here, an hour from my flight, and rather than logging into play World of Warships, I'm choosing instead to write up what's on my mind.  Buckle up because it's going to be a wild ride!  

b3KcjKw.jpg

x5kFUpA.jpg

11PcaPL.jpg

A year and a few months ago, I found myself in a similar situation....  waiting at an airport, checking the forums, and finding myself writing a massive post.  In this case, it was the contest to be one of the first players to join the Wiki Editor team.  The contest was a deceptively simple one - write an article about the Cleveland class cruisers.  My wife just glared at me while my fingers flew along the keyboard in order to meet a very real deadline - we were headed to China, and access to the forum and the contest were not guaranteed.  Over the flight from ORD to NRT, I thought some more about what I had written, came up with some ideas to try once I had Wi-Fi again, and quickly made my edits during the 1 hour and 30 minute layover.  
Why am I writing all this?  Because this single contest completely changed my life and the way that I percieve this game.  Ever since, I've been a Wiki Editor, proudly taking screenshots and posting them on the Wiki for everyone to enjoy.  I've also written pages for ships like the Lion.  It's put me in daily contact with WG employees like NikoPower and Pigeon_of_War, and other great players like Tedster and LittleWhiteMouse.  Prior to this moment, I had participated in many of Niko's contests, and though I didn't win them all, I came away feeling like a winner every time.  Why?  Because I felt like WG cared about me and all of the other players.  So here I am, writing this novel about how I feel as a player and what I've experienced in five short hours.  Rather than type up an account of the evening, I'm going to instead highlight the people I was finally able to meet.

1.  @SeaRaptor00
I considered putting Niko first, but he's going to have to wait for this one.  I've played Warships with him for over a year now, and I'm glad to say he's a partner in crime both as a Wiki Editor and a clan mate.  SeaRaptor offered to pick me up from the airport, stay at his house, and drive down to Corpus with him and his wife.  He ended up cooking some amazing meals and kicking my butt in Star Wars Rebellion (I'm blaming it on the bottle of awesome wine and something else - it was... red).  And then today (Monday), he happily took me to visit the USS Texas, the first non-Iowa class battleship I've ever visited.  A hardcore gamer, I didn't realize how well we'd connect, and I'm seriously looking forward to next year's LBT to hang out with him again (or maybe something even sooner).  SeaRaptor and his wife are Texan hospitality at its' finest, and they now have an open invitation to stay with me in Chicago.  

hoK6x8o.jpg

Rebel scum

2.  @SuperNikoPower
Niko runs contests and the forums for Wargaming.  I was incredibly bummed when Niko first told me he wouldn't be making the LBT.  When Harvey hit and the event was rescheduled, I told myself that there was a chance for a silver lining out of this - that Niko could join the group.  Sure enough, to my greatest elation, he posted that he'd be there.  The excitement was real.  Once at the Lexington, I had one thing on my mind - I need to find Niko.  As I sat with some other supertesters, his whereabouts were discovered, and I was off to go visit the WG employee I've known for two years through contests, PMs, and Skype conversations.  I think what made this even more special was that it was clear he was just as excited and happy to meet me as I was to meet him.  He told me the story of watching my interview from the summer (WG contracted a 3rd party to come to players' houses and find out what keeps us coming back for more).  Later, after the event, I got to hang out with him and several others at a nearby bar, and just enjoy the evening.  Saying goodbye was very bittersweet, and I look forward to our future interactions.  

esornbT.jpg

3.  @Sub_Octavian
Reddit or forums, everyone SHOULD know who this person is by now.  For those who don't, he is an analyst out of St. Petersburg who has a Master's in English and is not afraid to use it!  He shocked many of us when he openly started communicating with players directly, using data and statistics to back up his impeccable logic.  This bridge that he built assured many players who felt that "WG isn't listening to us."  It was wonderful being able to meet someone who has such a positive influence both to this game and the community.  Being able to thank him for his work personally was icing on the cake.  He also ranked out during a season of Ranked Battles (Tier VII, don't remember which exact season that was), and I really respect him for doing this.  Also, chose to spend his birthday with us on the Lexington.  How cool is that?!

4.  @Boyarsky
As I was speaking with Niko, Boyyarsky and Sub_Octavian came over together and said hello.  This blew my mind - someone else from WG knows who I am!!!  During our conversations (yes, we talked several times that night), I felt like this was a person who was clearly passionate about his job.  He truly wanted to reach out to me, to thank me for playing and supporting the game, and to get to know more about me as a person and a player.  We spoke for quite a while the game, mechanics, ideas for the future, upcoming changes, clan battles, and so much more.  Then he pulled out a series of premium ship cards and asked me which one I wanted.  He was surprised when I turned down Gremyaschy in favor of Tirpitz.  Since I had both already, I thought it would be great fun to win the Tirpitz for the fourth time :).  

fP8Vcsp.jpg

(SeaRaptor00, Sub_Octavian, Lord_Zath, Boyarsky)

5.  @Trevzor
Trevzor has led the supertest program for over a year now.  He's done a lot for us supertesters, and we greatly appreciate the work he puts in. He's also been doing a lot of community engagement projects like Facebook, streaming, and multiple video series.  It was great to meet him.  Later that night after the party, I was sucked into a Twitter war, which, believe it or not, was the most active I've ever been on the platform!  Two days later, at the Battleship Texas, I told SeaRaptor that I wanted to do a quick selfie with him in front of the battleship...  and guess who appeared right in front of us?  YEP!  Can't wait to see the final product he and his crew put out.  As we passed them on the ship, one of their private tour guides pointed to SeaRaptor said "Hey that guy's wearing the same shirt!"  

XhC0VGj.jpg

c4j25yA.jpg

One of their tour guides said "Hey, that guy's (SeaRaptor00) got the same t-shirt on!"  

6.  @wacko17
This guy came out of nowhere and said hi.  Then he saw the IGN on my card.  "Lord_Zath?  I know who you are - I banned you!"  Talk about a great way to begin a conversation.  We chatted for some time about the whole ReShade debacle, and I think he appreciated the fact that I understood why my name had come up as a false positive and the fact that I wasn't angry about the whole situation.  I learned a lot more about the work that he does for the company, and I'm happy to hear that he was recently promoted.  He clearly cared when I talked with him about my experience, especially as I described how I reacted to being cut off from the game for two days.  I'm looking forward to watching him grow in the NA office and I know he has a bright future with Wargaming.

U6SB1Cb.jpg

7.  @TragicLoss
I've watched Tragic's streams and participation on the Facebook Live events.  She always seemed like a cool cat, but seeing her in person at this event was special.  She thrived here - welcoming players, engaging them in conversation, and offering to give them mystery stuff if they just entered their information into her phone (anyone know what it was?).  Her sense of humor and enjoyment were contagious.

LOZ00o7.jpg

8.  @Quemapueblos
When I joined the Wiki team with Personator, we both had a burning question - are we also supertesters?  Q brought us into the fold, and I will be forever grateful.  Not only did I get to take screenshots of ships and unleash my inner photographer; now I got to test them, too!  I still remember the first ships I tested - Arizona, Belfast, Scharnhorst....  And meeting up with the other supertesters...  what a blast.  Though my highlight was watching him carry the Alienware computer down the ramp to that lucky little girl, a giant grin on his face.  There is true passion in this man's work.

VZvtOdRr.jpg

9.  (unknown)
I don't remember his name.  John?  I must apologize but I still want to make sure to include him here - another WG employee, but from my understanding, one of the managers of the NA office itself.  Bald and with glasses, I first saw him on stage and thought, "Who's this guy?"  He also recognized me from the interviews, and we had one of those conversations that just felt great.  He was sincerely happy that I was there, and I was blown away to meet someone from Wargaming who works behind the scenes, without fanfare or recognition.  Yet you could tell that everything that evening was a reflection of him.  I wish there was a way for him to become more well known to the population, because what he's doing clearly matters for all of us.

10.  @iChase
The legend.  When I first found this guy, I thought about contacting WG to let them know someone's leaking footage of their game (it was in Alpha at the time and iChase was doing the "Know Your Ship" series).  Great videos, great commentary, and just a lot of fun.  Then came his 25,000 subscriber challenge.  It was during Season 1 of Ranked, and I was so frustrated with that game mode that I saw his video and said "sure, why not?"  Sailing backwards in a Tier IV battleship while slinging HE only reminded me why this game is so fun.  I'm still using the World of Tanks headset I won.  He had more contests, famously his "Monday Rules" which asked to do various things in various ships.  Get the most citadels.  Kill the most DDs with a CV.  Do the most torpedo damage with a Furutaka.  I won a bunch, and people started recognizing me in-game, which was cool and scary at the same time!  I had no idea that iChase would be at the Lexington, but like Niko, once I heard he was present, it became a mission to find him and say hello.  Hanging out with him was a real treat.  After the event, we went out to the fishing pier and took night photos of the Lexington together, comrades in photography.  

wXKDIA5.jpg

11.  @NoZoupForYou
When I walked into the carrier, SeaRaptor pointed him out.  I immediately yelled out his real name (we communicated a bunch on the Wiki Skype), and he turned and looked.  It was such a thrill to meet him after all he's done for the community, all his great videos, and interviews.  I was really hoping that he would be interviewing players like he did for the New York LBT a year prior, because I had a great question to ask him.  Something about the weather in Russia :).  Zoup is as laid back and level headed as they come, and it was such a treat to say hi and get to know him a little more.

ahzX42O.jpg

12.  @Femennenly
Standing in line to get into the Lexington, I saw this woman asking if anyone in the crowd played Warships.  Who is this weirdo?!  Then I noticed her name on the cap...  yep!  I've seen a lot of her streams, and have learned so much about playing carriers thanks to her.  She was a true class act, working through the crowd and making sure everyone's feeling welcomed.  She even let me borrow her (or was it Niko's?) sharpie so I could get everyone to sign the Steven Seagall shirt I won from one of Niko's contest.  Most importantly, it just felt comfortable hanging out with her while Sub_Octavian revealed the USN CV tweaks and USN Cruiser line split.  I sincerely hope I'll get to meet her again some time.

fwNjBGS.jpg

13.  @Notser
Notser, Notser, Notser.  Hearing him and seeing him are two totally different things.  This guy's tall!  I thought he'd be completely different.  Regardless, it was great to meet him and put a face to the name.  He recognized me as well and we got to chat for a little bit about the game, his work as a YouTuber and CC, and all that good stuff.

14.  @Kelorn
SeaRaptor and I were guests in one of Kelorn's podcasts.  If you haven't listened to one of his podcasts, do yourself a favor and check it out!  Hearing him talk to others, SeaRaptor and I easily recognized the voice.  So cool getting to meet him in person after doing the podcast!

jlWlC9W.jpg

15.  @The_Pewp (Fodder4U)
Probably the supertester and clan mate I looked forward to meeting the most.  We played a lot of games together, so meeting him and hanging out was just a lot of fun.  We didn't get to tour the Lexington (couldn't find a guide), but we did have a good time meeting Trevzor.  I felt really bad for him, though - just prior to the event, he changed his name as a joke.  The joke was clearly on him, however, as he picked up his bag with his new name written on it for all to see - The_Pewp.  The look that the event volunteer gave him as she handed him the bag was priceless.  

16.  @Jinxed_Katajainen
A supertest coordinator.  As we came into the Lexington, I saw that the supertesters had a table.  I walked up, looked at the group, and made the first attempt at breaking the ice...  "Are you guys the supertesters?"  Jinxed is a really cool guy who clearly loves the game and everything about it.  And it's definitely not because he won a model of the Essex in the first raffle (#rigged).

17.  @AntiBullyRanger_Chainsaw
I didn't know much about him from before the evening, but he communicated with me prior to the visit so I at least knew that a bunch of the supertesters were going to try to get together and hang out.  I greatly appreciated the communication and look forward to working with him more in the future :).

18.  @The_Chieftain
I didn't get to talk to him much, but still managed to get a photo with this super famous WG employee.  I know all the work he does to research tanks, and he's definitely a positive influence on the company.

6mF3lR2.jpg 

19.  @Kombat_W0MBAT
I didn't meet him at the LBT, but he came over Sunday evening to hang out for dinner and chat.  Putting a face to someone I've interacted with for a long while was great, and I truly enjoyed getting to know him better.  We had some great discussions about clan battles, players we enjoy hanging out with, and life outside of the game.  

20.  EVERYONE ELSE
In case I forgot you - here you are!  I really wish there was a way we could recognize people better than the badge on front or small-ish lettering on the back of the LBT t-shirt.  As a player, I want to know who else is out there, and that was really hard since most of the players didn't wear their shirts, and several people just had generic "Commander" bages.  I have some ideas on this...  just not sure where to put them.

xMhpT7u.jpg

AEeRyqh.jpg?1

Grabbed a few extra goodies....  I hope I'll be able to give away some of these :).

28jRUBE.jpg

hYDiSca.jpg

By far the best souvenir from the visit!

My list for the future:  Pigeon_of_War, Dasha, LittleWhiteMouse, RedSeaBear, Puddin597, Hushubao, Killjoy1941, Tedster_, RiverTheRoyal, MrMariokartguy, Sharkbait416, Trollseidon, mewz0r, Robidou, GG_Bootcamp, SterlingArcher, Vas79, Robinhood, ElasticSpyder, SneekiSnake, and so many others.  

In closing:
I warned you this would be a long post.  Perhaps the most surprising for me was seeing how different this event was than what I'd expected.  Normally, I'm walking around with a camera in my face, taking pictures of everyone else and documenting the great time that everyone else is having.  This time, I was documenting everything that makes this game great.  The employees, the community contributors, and the players.  In addition, as SeaRaptor can attest, I spend way too much time lining up shots on ships and making my way into every nook and cranny I can get into, sometimes even off-limits areas (oops).  This was my first time on an aircraft carrier, and I never even left the hangar.  I didn't even take photos of the Dauntless dive bomber or Avenger torpedo bomber that were sitting in the hangar.  Nothing more than this fact should attest to how awesome this event was.  It could have been held in a warehouse and it wouldn't have mattered because this was all about the people.  If you get the chance to attend one of these events, I highly recommend it!  

kEkouJl.jpg

Edited by Lord_Zath
  • Cool 18

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,678 posts
14,098 battles

Hehe I was the one behind the camera taking that pic of Trev and Zath together :Smile_Default: had a blast meeting so many from the Dev team and fellow testers and players. I wish I was a bit more lively but I only had an hour and a half sleep then drove almost 7 hours from North Dallas to the event then had to drive right back lol. Also sorry @Femennenly I don't really do social media or watch many streams and did not realize that cute girl who gave me the Enterprise after the final 10pm drawing was you. Was fun playing the guess the number game to get it and thank you for the ship!!

• Cool 2

[SALTY]
Members
8,840 posts
17,509 battles

Looks like an awesome time!  

If WG ever decides to do an event north of the border (HMCS Haida, perhaps?), I'll definitely drive the 3 hours to be part of it.

+1 to you for a great post, Zath.

[-K-]
6,513 posts
28,229 battles

Thanks, Ace!  BTW, look closely at Sub_Octavian's hat....  I wonder if that's a sign of things to come!

[CHASE]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
1,115 posts
11,293 battles
9 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Thanks, Ace!  BTW, look closely at Sub_Octavian's hat....  I wonder if that's a sign of things to come!

Don't give false hope to the chap :P That hat was actually mine, when I heard that Sub lost his Mikhail Kutuzov hat that he got from the Mikhail Kutuzov and that it was his birthday, I wanted to have him go back to Russia with something special :cap_cool:

P.S. Zath, it was awesome to meet ya in person btw :)

Edited by iChase
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
6,513 posts
28,229 battles

That's right I forgot it was his birthday, too!  Thanks for clearing that up :).  

[FEM]
Beta Testers
3,275 posts
740 battles

Wow.... Zath, I have no idea what to say. I'm definitely sharing this around the office and to the CCs that you did and did not meet. You are an awesome guy. I'm glad we were able to give you all a special event to remember. At the same time, you all gave us a special event to remember. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,695 posts
8,664 battles
45 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Lol...  so funny story.  Sub was wearing a Kutuzov hat he had and lost at some point.  This one was a back up.  He said the Kutuzov hat was too OP anyways.

• Cool 2

Members
3 posts
10,835 battles

Love the stories Zath, what an amazing experience for Wargaming to bring such an awesome event into my backyard. Other than Trevzors breakfasts looks like everyone else had an amazing time. Can't wait to see where the future Lets Battle Tours are!

Members
1,695 posts
8,664 battles

Zath...  it was great seeing you and SeaRaptor.  I’m glad we got to hang out! This truly was a magical event.

• Cool 1

-Members-, Beta Testers
7 posts
789 battles

It was so much fun meeting people on Lexington! 

Thanks to all the players that made it out. You all made the event unforgettable!

• Cool 1