You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WES_HoundDog

Ways to fix the Izumo

24 comments in this topic

[KILL]
Members
1,444 posts
15,266 battles

OK, so i'm not that good at BB's and Izumo does not stand out as really bad compared to some that i have played but i do feel there is room for some love and judging by the top threads on this board, others feel the same way. Especially after the love the high tier US bb's got and the introduction of the ridiculous British BB's. 

Ok so this is not a fix all of these list, but just a list of tweeks that can be done to improve this ship.  Please feel free to list your own.

1. Give Turret #2 360 degree turn.

2. Start the ship on the B hull.  When you are afraid to see a tier 6 CV in the game at tier 9. Something is seriously wrong.

3. I bounced more shells in the battlecruiser Amgai with only one small well armored plate in the rear.   Izumo has a much larger and thicker plate and rarely bounces anything when not nose on.   I know the deck overhangs some of this plating but this armor should have better performance.

4. Give the shells more penetration.  The AP shells shatter or overpen on British BB's, they will not pen this ship let alone citadel it which is the only way you could possibly beat them one on one.   Flat broadsides at 10k should not result in a bunch of shatters.   Did anyone even test these ships before being released? The pens on dd's are nice but the higher end of the penetration needs to be improved.  The shells will not citadel any tier 10 BB that is broadside over 13k except the yamato (out to 15k) and that is only if you are at the perfect angle to put the shells at the right spot through the 32mm bow armor.  I'd probably be happy with nerfing British BB's armor and giving them a citadel but that might be for another thread.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

The only problem with Izumo is that she's super squishy. The guns are amazing and not the reason to be changed.

[RLGN]
Members
19,139 posts
35,179 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

I'm guessing a giant paper bag to hid her ugly mug isn't an option? 

The one person who hasn't seen a Red October yet? :Smile_amazed:

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,639 battles
1 hour ago, RN_Roma said:

Or just replace the thing...

^This.

I'm not a fan of the turret layout in the least. I'd much rather have some other IJN BB or paper design that had a more traditional layout.  I rather doubt that the Tosa would qualify as a tier 9.  Personally, I'd been hoping that the Kii would have ended up being the tier 9 on a second IJN BB line (with the Tosa at tier 8).  The most likely replacement that I can find would be the so-called "Number 13" class BB ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_13-class_battleship ), but it's "problem" could be that it mounts eight 18" guns (in a traditional 4x2 layout), though they are 457mm guns rather than the 460mm ones the Yammy mounts, which could be a selling point.  

Strangely, I find the slightly different yet similar layout on the Nelson much more than the one on the Izumo.  The problem with the Izzy's layout is that the 3rd turret faces backwards.  And if you're fighting something off your forward port side but want to change course and put that same enemy on your forward starboard side (or just switch targets to a ship on that side), the rearmost turret has to make like a 270 degree rotation and it takes forever.  But with the Nelson, the rearmost turret faces forward, so that as long as your targets are mostly forward, switching from aiming fore-left to fore-right is a pretty quick rotation for that turret.

Still, a more traditional layout is a lot easier to use, which IMO makes such a ship more comfortable and more enjoyable to play.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,639 battles
2 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

OK, so i'm not that good at BB's and Izumo does not stand out as really bad compared to some that i have played but i do feel there is room for some love and judging by the top threads on this board, others feel the same way. Especially after the love the high tier US bb's got and the introduction of the ridiculous British BB's. 

Ok so this is not a fix all of these list, but just a list of tweeks that can be done to improve this ship.  Please feel free to list your own.

1. Give Turret #2 360 degree turn.

2. Start the ship on the B hull.  When you are afraid to see a tier 6 CV in the game at tier 9. Something is seriously wrong.

3. I bounced more shells in the battlecruiser Amgai with only one small well armored plate in the rear.   Izumo has a much larger and thicker plate and rarely bounces anything when not nose on.   I know the deck overhangs some of this plating but this armor should have better performance.

4. Give the shells more penetration.  The AP shells shatter or overpen on British BB's, they will not pen this ship let alone citadel it which is the only way you could possibly beat them one on one.   Flat broadsides at 10k should not result in a bunch of shatters.   Did anyone even test these ships before being released? The pens on dd's are nice but the higher end of the penetration needs to be improved.  The shells will not citadel any tier 10 BB that is broadside over 13k except the yamato (out to 15k) and that is only if you are at the perfect angle to put the shells at the right spot through the 32mm bow armor.  I'd probably be happy with nerfing British BB's armor and giving them a citadel but that might be for another thread.

I don't think that giving the #2 turret a full 360* rotation would really fix the ship's issues.  Sure, it would be nice, but the real problem with the turrets is the #3 turret facing rearward, making any rotation from fore-left to fore-right a painfully slow 270-ish* turn.

On point #4, when you're having trouble penning belt armor, you should aim for the superstructure, particularly at longer ranges.  That's what many players do against German BB's since you know that getting cits through their turtleback is all but impossible at all but very long ranges (or perhaps if you're in a Yammy).  This is probably particularly true if you're getting that many shatters.

Members
926 posts
5,744 battles

Izumo is a tank and is the best armored BB Japan has bar none. Nothing is getting through the belt angled a bit. If you cant make the armor work you're going to get obliterated in Yamato.

Secondly the 16" guns are far and away the best in the game for penetration.

Layout takes some getting use to and the stock AA doesn't exist but beyond that its a great boat that cant shake its pre-buff rep.

[STAR]
Members
642 posts
26,119 battles

Izumo is fine as it is. The only issue i see with her are those shells that lacks pen.

"Oh! but the stats show they have more pen than Yamato shells, mainly at closer ranges" No! no! no! I played a lot with Izumo to get Yamato and my AP shells shattered in the broadsides of Moskva and Des Moines. Yes u heard me right! shatters! they weren't bounces if u think i got it wrong. Also i saw those stats for the penetration values 2 weeks ago and i started laughing hard. How were those shells supposed to work IRL i dont know, but the pen performance of the AP shells in-game isn't the same as the AP stats show.

Oh! If u think Izumo is bad, then Yamato is going to get worse for you. Because Izumo teaches you how to deal with Yamato's gameplay.

Members
5,450 posts
21,027 battles
9 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The one person who hasn't seen a Red October yet? :Smile_amazed:

Oh I've seen the Red October, even have the CCCP camo but if you really want to burn your eyes put the Ocean Soul camo on the OctoRev.

OaDsJ9V.gif

[STW-A]
Members
102 posts
6,985 battles
On 11/5/2017 at 10:18 PM, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

The only problem with Izumo is that she's super squishy. The guns are amazing and not the reason to be changed.

And she's not even that squishy if she's angled properly.

Members
513 posts
10,245 battles

Clone Amagi...put it at tier 9.  Remove izumo entirely.  By far the most disappointing ship I have played in this game so far.

Angling against AP is ok.  I will fight BB's all day long in the Izumo.  Problem is by tier 9...everyone knows the ship is a joke.  A juicy target for cruisers because quite frankly...it's easy damage.  One can't angle against HE and 10k HE salvos plus fires, plus CV's = Gone in 60 seconds.  "Squishy" is relative.  She's a glorified barge.

Edited by LastSamurai714

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,265 battles
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, RN_Roma said:

Or just replace the thing...

This 100%. There is no fixing Izumo. LOL

Members
4,203 posts
23 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This 100%. There is no fixing Izumo. LOL

I agree how about replacing it with these class? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_13-class_battleship

I have never use one myself, but I have seen one in a game one time and I could tell the player did not like it.

IJN_battleship_design_of_Project-13_class[1].jpg

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,265 battles
Just now, Chaos_EN2 said:

I agree how about replacing it with these class? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_13-class_battleship

IJN_battleship_design_of_Project-13_class[1].jpg

Anything would be better. But with that said, I am at Yamato so I don't really care anymore LOL

Members
4,203 posts
11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Anything would be better. But with that said, I am at Yamato so I don't really care anymore LOL

Yeah I play German right now so I understand that, but the Japanese line is the next one I am going to work up, I have gotten line up to the Fuso before I decided to stick with just Germans. 

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,265 battles

Fuso is pretty good. I liked it and kept it. My 2nd favorite IJN BB. I didn't care for Nagato and Amagi (Amagi better of the 2). Free XP'd past Izumo's upgrades and then to Yamato once I had Izumo researched. Yamato is well worth it. 

I am at Bismarck and not too far from FDG. Not really interested in the FDG but wouldn't mind the GK at T10. I have sort of got burnt out on BB though and am back playing Cruisers again. Trying to finish the BRN grind to Minotaur but Edinburgh is a struggle for me oddly as it is just a big Fiji and I wreck hosue with Fiji??? LOL

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
4,203 posts
9 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Fuso is pretty good. I liked it and kept it. My 2nd favorite IJN BB. I didn't care for Nagato and Amagi (Amagi better of the 2). Free XP'd past Izumo's upgrades and then to Yamato once I had Izumo researched. Yamato is well worth it. 

I am at Bismarck and not too far from FDG. Not really interested in the FDG but wouldn't mind the GK at T10. I have sort of got burnt out on BB though and am back playing Cruisers again. Trying to finish the BRN grind to Minotaur but Edinburgh is a struggle for me oddly as it is just a big Fiji and I wreck hosue with Fiji??? LOL

Well with the Germans, I am up to the Nurnberg (just got her) and going to get back the Bayern soon as get the credits built back up. Then save up for Gneisenau again.

Then after I get the Germans done, I will restart the IJN. I liked the Fuso, and the Kongo a lot and even the Myogi.

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,265 battles
1 minute ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well with the Germans, I am up to the Nurnberg (just got her) and going to get back the Bayern soon as get the credits built back up. Then save up for Gneisenau again.

Then after I get the Germans done, I will restart the IJN. I liked the Fuso, and the Kongo a lot and even the Myogi.

You need help! LOL

[NATO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,639 posts
10,318 battles

Apparently Im at odds with everyone. I thought the Izzy was quite decent for the most part.....although I did skip the A hull.

Sure the turret layout is a PITA, but you shouldnt be in a position to need to fight on both sides, get to one side of the map and edge hug or hug an island and keep your flank guarded.