You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Life of a Cruiser...or a Battleship

46 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

A few screen shots that epitomizes CA versus BB play.  It has all the aspects debated on these boards.  HE spam.  Fire.  And the instant delete.  

First pic.  A CA rains down 105 hits, mostly HE (but a spattering of AP) for a total of about 21K direct damage.

c1.thumb.jpg.04d965aee6732286d918b92bcd79ad3e.jpg

Second pic.  Of the HE spam, two light a fire...for a total fire damage of 18K.  This bring the CAs total damage to just short of 40K damage.  That's a lot of damage from a T5 CA on a T7 BB.

c2.thumb.jpg.c0c7cf62ecf5793e8742d2a63c8202b6.jpg

Third pic is the BB's revenge.  A six shot delete wiping 18K.  (Actually, it wasn't just one salvo...but the killing blow was a cit).

c3.thumb.jpg.7f48c8fcb516fd87e0dc4e4d6b4c4c96.jpg

CAs get the rapid fire pin-prick guns and the ability to light lots of fires.  BBs get the big guns and the big hits.  Although the CA was deleted, it did a good job attriting the BBs damage pool, and under different circumstances could have been critical to the win.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,746 posts
4,573 battles

Cruisers are underrated. They may get deleted easily by BBs, but they're good at hunting destroyers and harassing the heck out of BBs with HE. With friendly BBs doing the tanking, or even just with range and WASD-ing, it's pretty easy to rack up damage with fires.

• Cool 1

Members
513 posts
10,245 battles

5 BB's per match is the problem.

Cruisers just aren't as much fun for the masses to play.  You have to work your tail off for 50k damage where as 50k in a BB is aim and click from 17km away.   Wait for a turn...boom headshot.  Instant gratification.

Edited by LastSamurai714
  • Cool 3

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles
12 minutes ago, Panbun said:

Cruisers are underrated. They may get deleted easily by BBs, but they're good at hunting destroyers and harassing the heck out of BBs with HE. With friendly BBs doing the tanking, or even just with range and WASD-ing, it's pretty easy to rack up damage with fires.

I dont really care if they tank tbh.  I just don't want them shooting from max range giving the enemy the map.  BBs need to understand that they have to operate close to the caps so their light ships can adequately support them.  If they are shooting from long range, the light ships can't move forward.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

Cruisers aren't as fun to play when you're so consistently out numbered by BBs.

Back in CBT and release Cruisers made up the majority of the ships in a game because BBs were far less accurate across the board, so new players felt more at home learning in Cruisers.

Then Battleships were given accuracy increases across the board because si many disliked the poor accuracy.

Then the German lines were introduced they were given Sonar, which greatly lowered the effectiveness of torpedoes by spotting them far earlier.

That wasn't enough though, many felt that secondaries should be able to drive off or sink spotted DDs, so the German BB line came in with crazy secondaries, and others were buffed.

The German BB line also had some ships with a quick reload that presented a real increase to danger to Cruisers.

Battleships were still not satisfied. When a DD or Cruiser was able to spend skill and effort sneaking up to an island un-noticed and charge the BB inside 5km the BBs weren't very accurate. So inside a few km all BBs reveived a huge dispersion buff.

That wasn't enough though. Battleships were still being lit on fire. So when the captain skills were changed HE was nerfed. Then they took FP and made it super powerful, and changed 4 fires to 3. This is actually much worse than that though. The fires in the center, which get combined to 1, get lit much, much more than thosr on the bow or aft.

When people ask why is Battleship population so high, I think it's not only obvious, but also rather obvious why Cruisers have seen such a large loss on numbers compared to the earlier versions of the game.

Outside of Cruisers getting some bow armor buffs to prevent smaller than average tier shells lul penning them what have they gotten that has helped since CBT? A fire decrease when they frankly don't get set on fire that often.

War Gaming doesn't realize Cruisers exist. You could remove them from the game and you'd notice no difference.

• Cool 3

[SCCC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,004 posts
23,471 battles

I wish they didn't give the ship detection skill to every captain. It was a 1 point skill but so many BBs didn't even take it and it was easier to torp them or hit them with guns to. 

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
55 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Outside of Cruisers getting some bow armor buffs to prevent smaller than average tier shells lul penning them what have they gotten that has helped since CBT? A fire decrease when they frankly don't get set on fire that often.

The massive citadels are the big problem for Cruisers. Fire really aint that bad for them.

In recent patches, BBs, who don't get citadeled very often, had their cits lowered or reduced when fire is the big problem with them. Cruisers, who get citadeled everytime a seagull craps on them, are going to be getting a reduction in fire duration. WG intellect at it's finest!  :Smile_facepalm:

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,130 posts
6,779 battles
2 hours ago, LastSamurai714 said:

Cruisers just aren't as much fun for the masses to play.  You have to work your tail off for 50k damage where as 50k in a BB is aim and click from 17km away.   Wait for a turn...boom headshot.  Instant gratification.

You can get easy 50k damage in a cruiser, the HE spamming is great, if you get deleted by a BB from 17km away, you playing it wrong... And you get faster undetected then a BB so don't know why you are complaining

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,121 posts
30,885 battles
2 hours ago, Panbun said:

There is no tanking in this game.  There is nothing that forces me to shoot at that BB in gun range, unless he's right on top of me that I can lob torpedoes.

What the BB brings is the threat of Big Guns to delete people or at least force other BBs to respect their power.  It's not tanking.  Because I'll tell you now, when I play a BB, if I have the choice of shooting at a BB or a Cruiser, both in the same angle / profile, both at the same range, I will ALWAYS shoot at the Cruiser.  Because it's squishy.  Only time it will ever be different is if the BB is caught broadside.  Otherwise, any angle, any profile a Cruiser takes, it's still got that chance of getting blasted out of the water.  Not so when a BB takes defensive measures, on top of the thick armor, big HP pool, repair party at every tier, etc.  The Cruiser doesn't have most of that for most of the game, so that's why I'll always prioritize blasting a Cruiser to kingdom come.

Also, BBs are just as good in deleting Destroyers.

And a Cruiser cannot go DD hunting unless there are no enemy Battleships in the area.  Doing so with enemy BBs around is asking to die a quick, horrible death as you juggle DD-Hunting, WASD'ing, and Praying to RNGesus that the BB(s) doesn't delete you.

HE & Fires?  Battleships can be pretty good at that, too.  Not only RN BBs, but multiple BBs out there have fabulous HE shell damage and very, very high Fire Chance.  BB prowess with HE got lost when everyone went "AP only for muh BB" until RN BBs came out.

Another fun thing?  We are now entering a phase of WG introducing BBs with Cruiser levels of concealment.  At first it was only North Carolina with a Stealth Build.  But then the RN BBs came out, and they are pretty stealthy for Tier VII+.  Then WG put out Tier V Caesar, who can outspot numerous Cruisers.  Nothing like loading a set of AP with Caesar, undetected, and that poor Myoko has no idea that it's going to eat a point blank blast of BB AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
51 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There is no tanking in this game.....

that sums it up pretty well

On top with BB's having conceal now, they also have a BB with radar.... and I don't see that madness stop anytime soon since the last big smoke nerf actually hit cruisers more than any other class

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles
3 hours ago, LastSamurai714 said:

If only it were that easy...

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,085 battles
3 hours ago, Lionel92 said:

You can get easy 50k damage in a cruiser, the HE spamming is great, if you get deleted by a BB from 17km away, you playing it wrong... And you get faster undetected then a BB so don't know why you are complaining

That last line. Complete and utter bull****. All ships have 20 second drop off. Only difference is distance.

And guess what. Certain BBs can get cruiser level detection which throws that equation out the window.

• Cool 1

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,130 posts
6,779 battles
Just now, IronWolfV said:

That last line. Complete and utter bull****. All ships have 20 second drop off. Only difference is distance.

And guess what. Certain BBs can get cruiser level detection which throws that equation out the window.

My fault, didnt meant faster undetected, I did mean that cruisers have a better concealment rating than most BB's

30,523 posts
6,085 battles
12 minutes ago, Lionel92 said:

My fault, didnt meant faster undetected, I did mean that cruisers have a better concealment rating than most BB's

Ok, I was just making sure. Don't want mis information to get around. Sorry if I came down too hard.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

USN cruisers are sometimes weak vs. battleships, however other cruisers with their torpedoes can turn the tides on a battleship rather quickly. I remember once catching a Montana coming around an island and taking it out with one torpedo spread from my Atago. I could have shot 203 mm shells at that ship for five minutes without sinking it.

Once again, people concentrate too much on 1v1 play in this game. A cruiser never was meant to go up against a battleship alone. One of the best games I was in was when four of us, all in cruisers, somehow got coordinated and advanced together. In five minutes we had half the enemy team sunk because they were still playing individually. This is the much of the reason that those who play in divisions in random matches oftentimes do so well. It's not that they are all that much better than other players individually but that they are coordinated.

30,523 posts
6,085 battles

And I also agree the GIGANTIC citadel of a cruiser is a problem. I mean in comparison to BB citadels, cruisers are just utterly MASSIVE. Some actually reach slightly past the hull!

As much as I'd love a reload buff on my Indianapolis, really would love for the citadel to be made smaller.

I wish more citadels were like Cleveland or Leander. Smaller and harder to hit.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
7 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

I wish more citadels were like Cleveland or Leander. Smaller and harder to hit.

This is one reason why I like the Cleveland better than anything I've played that comes after it. It's not that it has more hitpoints but that it is much less likely to be deleted in a single salvo. I stopped playing the New Orleans because I got tired of hiding behind islands all the time lest I get deleted instantly by the first battleship that saw me. It usually didn't matter if I was broadside or not. Those tier X battleships can delete a New Orleans when it is bow on to them.

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Those tier X battleships can delete a New Orleans when it is bow on to them

yes, NO is one of those that suffers hugely from the current MM, and the smoke nerf does not help.

30,523 posts
6,085 battles
22 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

This is one reason why I like the Cleveland better than anything I've played that comes after it. It's not that it has more hitpoints but that it is much less likely to be deleted in a single salvo. I stopped playing the New Orleans because I got tired of hiding behind islands all the time lest I get deleted instantly by the first battleship that saw me. It usually didn't matter if I was broadside or not. Those tier X battleships can delete a New Orleans when it is bow on to them.

The Russian cruisers. Much as I love the guns, their citadel runs high and 3/4th of thr hull if not a bit more. Like a damn slot machine.

It's why Leander and up are as good. Most of their citadel sits at the waterline and that's it. So it leads to a lot of overpens.

Can't do that in Indianapolis, Pcola or NOLA. Baltimore does suffer it some, but not nearly as bad.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Thats why cruisers are the hardest line to play with. A single mistake and you are dead. But the DPS of cruisers is insane, you can melt ships very easily.

Cruiser are not a good line for potatoes and bad players, cruisers need skill that most players dont have. 

Members
38 posts
150 battles
13 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Thats why cruisers are the hardest line to play with. A single mistake and you are dead. But the DPS of cruisers is insane, you can melt ships very easily.

Cruiser are not a good line for potatoes and bad players, cruisers need skill that most players dont have. 

That is why I was told to start with them instead of BBs. Everyone said I would eventually a much better [player for doing so.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

i looked up my 90 day stat and  my survival rate for cruiser is equal to BB and dmg is pretty much similar .      60%+  survival and 70k dmg.       only downside to cruisers and their lack of ability closer up, otherwise they are fine but they do require higher level of skills.

• Cool 1