You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bassmasta76

USS Iowa tours?

14 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,160 battles

Hey all,

Quick question.  Has anyone visited the USS Iowa, and if so, what did you think of the tour?  I'm curious to know how it compares to the Alabama or the Texas tours.  I'm in LA the rest of week and through the weekend for work and realized that the Iowa was open for tours.  Apparently its a short bus ride from downtown, so I'm considering a visit on Sunday if time permits.

I appreciate any thoughts y'all may have.

thanks in advance!

b

[RLGN]
Members
14,954 posts
26,484 battles

Went there the week it opened and the tour was a bit limited; but that was 3-4 years ago; they should have more areas open to the public.

If you're there; GO.

Just to make sure my opinion is completely clear;

GO.

Consider it as completing one more stop on your pilgramige to all the battleship museums.

Members
832 posts
1,264 battles

Ive been on the new jersey and its really something. The Iowa can't be much different. Highly reccomend

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

As Estimated_Prophet said, Go it is a great ship and totally worth the money went two summers ago and was worth it, she's breathtaking up close.

Edited by devastator5000

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,160 battles

Thanks for the advice, I hope that Sunday is free and I can make it.  These weekend upgrade projects are a PITA but, I think time will permit a trip.

Will post pics if I make it there.

B

[WOLF4]
Members
178 posts
3,545 battles

The Wisconsin in Downtown Norfolk at Nauticus was pretty awesome had a lot of vets shooting the breeze plus since Virgina is home to alot of military there were quite a bit of active duty aswell. Pretty cool seeing different uniforms from different eras and hearing all the stories plus it's in the water and you've got the breeze off the water you can really imagine being in it out at sea.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I was at the Wisconsin recently but unfortunately only the main deck and part of the second deck was available to the public. They are still working section by section to get it open to the public but that takes time. Heck the NC that had been a museum for longer and they just recently opened her steering room

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,336 battles

Iowa is definitely worth a go.   I would do it if you had time

between the Iowa and New Jersey.  The Iowa is in worse shape than New Jersey. 

Iowa is mainly a topside tour. You tour the main deck and above  you get to tour franklin Roosevelt’s bathtub installed for him (the only ship in the navy that has a bathtub).  And you can go down to the main deck.

you can tour one of the main gun turrets but you don’t get to go into the projectile or powder magazine like you can on Alabama.   the turret that had the accident is still closed to any viewing.

Between alabama texas iowa and New Jersey Wisconsin 

alabama was the most accessible in terms of the amount of ship you got to see. 

The texas was in really bad shape but was interesting and really cool to see as a contrast between the 1910 era ship to a world war 2 battleship (alabama) and the post world war 2 and Persian Gulf war battleships.

Wisconsin had the least amount of ship that was open and available to the public of the 3 conus Iowa class battleship museums

new Jersey and Iowa are about par in terms of the amount of the ship you can visit.  Iowa is in bad shape.  New Jersey was in slightly better shape. Iowa has Roosevelt’s cabin and bathtub. New Jersey has the combat engagement center.   

I was disappointed with the way New Jersey was set up to hold receptions and gathering. Modified for 2010-eras comforts and expectations  But it is a necessary evil as it generates the badly needed income to pay for upkeep and restoration of these ships    But New Jersey is in much better shape compared to Olympia on the other side of the river -  I don’t see how Olympia stays afloat.  I hope Olympia can get repairs she really needs it she’s older than texas.   

I would have loved to visit some engineering spaces on Iowa or New Jersey (having spent a very brief 2 years as a snipe - I was mainly a topside watchstander where I got to enjoy a/c in CIC versus parking myself in a vent fan exhaust in the main machinery room)  but they’re only available as special tours and not general public tours

Edited by wtfovr

[REVY]
Members
8,099 posts
6,118 battles

I have not visited the Alabama or the Texas so I can't compare them.

I visited the USS Iowa back in December.  The turrets were covered in Christmas Lights, but I regret I visited during daylight.

AW342Fo.jpg

Compared to my visit to the USS Massachusetts, the Iowa tour is a lot lamer.  The USS Massachusetts doesn't really have a "tour".  You enter the ship and your free to roam about at your own pase, you can walk all around the deck, clown around with the AA guns, climb inside a 5" turret, and go up to the conning tower, or down below to the engine room.  The USS Iowa tour is EXTREMELY linear, with most of the ship roped off so that you have to walk in one direction.  Overall, there's less of the ship available to see, and you really do feel that lack of freedom since you can't wander the halls, though I will give them this, they did have Battleship veterans on board to answer questions.  Although, I question the competency of the tour guides there since I ask if the Iowa ever had a wooden helm, and he said "Of course not, the Iowa is a modern ship.".  Given that the Titanic and even the Yamato all had traditional wooden helms, I got the impression he didn't know what he was talking about.  Also, if I remember fight, you can see the inside of a Iowa 5" turret, but I think it's been completely stripped out, and your not allowed to go inside it.  Also, there wasn't that much to see of the ship.  You zigzag around on deck, work your way below I think?  You go as far down as the magazine, and that's it, and you go as far up as the bridge, but most of the real estate of the ship is roped off.

Let's see what else.  You could actually get lunch on the Massachusetts, I remember I got a sloppy joe, but the Iowa didn't have any meal facilities as far as I could tell.  The gift shop sold MREs, but ugh, I got the chili and it was some of the foulest thing I've ever tasted.  Canned chili tastes way better, so I can't imagine why anyone would ruin the flavor by bagging it.  So anyway, I was a bit disappointed with the tour, as they offer much less then Battleship Cove, but hey, it's the Iowa.  I should also mention the back of my ticket offered me a free Marblehead in World of Warships, but only if I started a new account (so useless to me).

I don't know, maybe visit the Iowa at night near Christmas so you can see it lit up with the lights?

Edited by Sventex

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,160 battles

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I am at her now waiting for the special limited tour that they offer.  I was pretty lucky as they only allow 10 visitors per tour, twice a day on Sat/Sun. 

I guess it goes to the engineering spaces and other normally off-limits areas.  

B

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles

I visited the ship a few times, and It was a fun experience for me since this was the first battleship I ever boarded. It was (unknowingly) also a long awaited moment for me since I first saw her in the Suisun Reserve fleet when I was a kid, and when she was docked temporarily in Oakland before she arrived in San Pedro.