You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Pictures of USS Texas

25 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,690 posts
19,844 battles

Not mine, I found this on Imgur.

7ZeztNX.jpg

Side shot.

5ny1Q8y.jpg

So rusty.

KoMqRbR.jpg

5" shells.

fWyfsMS.jpg

5" gun.

Nm7nZob.jpg

German 11" shell that hit but didn't detonate. Kept as good-luck charm.

wgZxWoe.jpg

From the bow, looking back.

fKfnAHn.jpg

#1 Turret face detail.

H4Hx5N9.jpg

Right-side breech, #1 turret. Two powderbags shown, four were used for each shell.

MB2Sima.jpg

Turret facing indicator, #1 turret, with turret facing indicator for the superfiring #2 turret shown as well.

XXy80JR.jpg

Left side breech of #1 turret showing 1200 lbs 14" shell.

K9EGMCC.jpg

Detail of superstructure right underneath the bridge.

tdX9t1Z.jpg

View forward from bridge.

e1bBlCp.jpg

View forward from right in front of #1 turret face.

Click on pictures for larger versions. Do visit the source for more pictures.

Again, not my pictures. I just found them here.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Duplicate post, Lert.  VonKaiser already posted this exact same thing earlier this morning.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,690 posts
19,844 battles

Ah well, mea culpa.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,051 battles

Muwahaha I ninja'd Lert

NbmzHI0.gif

On a serious note though, more places the better, get more people to see it and raise awareness.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,219 battles

She is looking a little rough...

[--K--]
Members
5,389 posts
17,889 battles

What the USS Texas needs is a Giant Bottle so she can be protected from the elements. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,983 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

What the USS Texas needs is a Giant Bottle so she can be protected from the elements. 

What the Texas State Legislature needs is a Giant bottle so we can get them drunk enough to pass some emergency legislation to save her.

[--K--]
Members
5,389 posts
17,889 battles
11 minutes ago, Umikami said:

What the Texas State Legislature needs is a Giant bottle so we can get them drunk enough to pass some emergency legislation to save her.

With all the dumb stuff Federal and State governments waste money on you would think we could trick them into sending some green for this ship. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,690 posts
19,844 battles
26 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

With all the dumb stuff Federal and State governments waste money on you would think we could trick them into sending some green for this ship. 

You know how the US treats their veterans ...

Members
356 posts
2 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

I hate how rotten and decayed the wood on her top deck looks. It's a crying shame.

Total shame that Texas has let their namesake ship deteriorate to such a sorry state. 

The Navy should take her away and find somewhere that will take care of the last Dreadnought. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,252 posts
23,616 battles
7 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

I hate how rotten and decayed the wood on her top deck looks. It's a crying shame.

It is actually just weathered, not rotten. The sea is really hard on ships, we repainted our ship in the Philippines to look brand new. Sailed pretty much straight to San Fran and upon arrival, we looked pretty sad with all the rust... Just the way it is and that is with a crew essentially doing daily maintenance on it. The Texas just sits in the saltwater without a crew to maintain her so she has a hard time of it. Add to that she is a 100 years old... The exterior of Texas isn't a problem, it is the structure of the hull that is in trouble. All the crap you see with the decks and rust on the ship is easily taken care of, it is the decaying hull that is the big problem and a very costly one to fix. The people of Texas stepped up to bring her to San Jacinto and fix her up the first time, then the second time. I have no doubt that the money will become available to fix her up again. The issue now is fixing her up where she won't need so much constant attention.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,252 posts
23,616 battles
15 minutes ago, JuiceEFruit said:

I don't see why they don't just build a cofferdam right where she is....close it in and drain it.  She needs to be out of the water. 

That is the plan, they are looking over three proposals and deciding which one to go with. Money is always an issue of course, but it will come once they decide on what to do. There is a pretty cool video on Youtube about the different projects in mind. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
356 posts
59 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

That is the plan, they are looking over three proposals and deciding which one to go with. Money is always an issue of course, but it will come once they decide on what to do. There is a pretty cool video on Youtube about the different projects in mind. 

That's kind of my point:  All the money in Texas, and they're dicking around and letting the ship rot.   Inexcusable. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,252 posts
23,616 battles
12 hours ago, JuiceEFruit said:

That's kind of my point:  All the money in Texas, and they're dicking around and letting the ship rot.   Inexcusable. 

Ehh again it is just the way things work. I suppose they could fly in and try to do something without studying it and end up destroying the ship... Personally am glad they are taking their time to do it right this time. Texas was in much worse shape back in the 80's when she wasn't even floating anymore..  Only the stupid would rush in without giving much thought on what to do. The commission that is studying the problem is trying to come up with the best possible solution based on science. You can call it dicking around, I call it thoughtful management. Texas is fine, she will be fine for a long time even if nothing is done. The hull will rust erode away just like it was in the 80's and will just have to be repaired again like was done back then. If she loses watertight integrity, she will just settle on the bottom of the slip like she did before. It is all repairable, nothing will be lost. 

Members
356 posts
39 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Ehh again it is just the way things work. I suppose they could fly in and try to do something without studying it and end up destroying the ship... Personally am glad they are taking their time to do it right this time. Texas was in much worse shape back in the 80's when she wasn't even floating anymore..  Only the stupid would rush in without giving much thought on what to do. The commission that is studying the problem is trying to come up with the best possible solution based on science. You can call it dicking around, I call it thoughtful management. Texas is fine, she will be fine for a long time even if nothing is done. The hull will rust erode away just like it was in the 80's and will just have to be repaired again like was done back then. If she loses watertight integrity, she will just settle on the bottom of the slip like she did before. It is all repairable, nothing will be lost. 

Dude.....They've been talking about putting Texas up on land for YEARS.   The plans have been made.  They don't need to study a damn thing, they need the money and to just get to work.   They KNOWN what to do for years now, they simply have been blowing the money trying to temporarily stop leaks. 

This is a pic from 2012.  FIVE years ago.  This isn't something new.   The cofferdam plans have been drawn up longer than that.  It's a money issue, always has been, which again...is pitiful, considering the money in Texas. 

23maptl.jpg

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,252 posts
23,616 battles
11 hours ago, JuiceEFruit said:

Dude.....They've been talking about putting Texas up on land for YEARS.   The plans have been made.  They don't need to study a damn thing, they need the money and to just get to work.   They KNOWN what to do for years now, they simply have been blowing the money trying to temporarily stop leaks.

Dude, yes the discussion has been going on. Deciding on which of the three or four designs they will utilize is what is going on now. Each design has its advantages and disadvantages and that is what the commission is deciding on. The discussion was going on when they got her floating 30 years ago... Again it is hardly anything new, hardly anything more frantic about the pace now except that a few more people know about her problems. But am sure ranting on the internet will be a big help to the project. 

Members
356 posts
10 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Dude, yes the discussion has been going on. Deciding on which of the three or four designs they will utilize is what is going on now. Each design has its advantages and disadvantages and that is what the commission is deciding on. The discussion was going on when they got her floating 30 years ago... Again it is hardly anything new, hardly anything more frantic about the pace now except that a few more people know about her problems. But am sure ranting on the internet will be a big help to the project. 

My response was to this, that you said:

Only the stupid would rush in without giving much thought on what to do. The commission that is studying the problem is trying to come up with the best possible solution based on science. You can call it dicking around, I call it thoughtful management.

I demonstrated that nobody is "rushing in without giving much thought on what to do".   It's been YEARS, and they've done nothing but piss money away on crappy, band-aid leak plugging jobs.

There aren't multiple plans in place and they're trying to decide what to do.  They know what to do, they've known what to do, and they've sat there (the museum and the state) and let the ship just deteriorate.   It's to the point now (that she wasn't 5-7 years ago) that she needs major repairs to support her own weight when she's out of water.   And that's just pissing in the wind to do those repairs unless it's go time to get her high and dry once they're done. 

It doesn't take 5+ years to decide what to do.  I, and others, would like to see the last Dreadnought preserved properly, and not continually half-sunk.  Yes, she can always be repaired, but that's money that is literally down the drain, because she can't be repaired properly sitting where she is.  

Edited by JuiceEFruit

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,601 battles
On 2/11/2017 at 2:30 PM, Lert said:

Nm7nZob.jpg

German 11" shell that hit but didn't detonate. Kept as good-luck charm.

More german bad luck!

Those are some awesome pics, I hope they can save the ship from the damage it has taken.

Alpha Tester
6,513 posts
3,304 battles

I say lift the Texas out of the water like what they did with the Cutty Sark in London (which I HIGHLY recommend visiting if you're ever there). It'd save her from the wear and tear of the ocean and give people an up-close look at her hull.

Cutty_Sark_(16719233476).jpg.5a91701285fb90442b0d00f90f7754a1.jpg

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,219 battles

I've been in this industry for a long time. Nothing gets better just sitting at the dock. Spend it now or spend it later, later will be more.....