Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Suggestion - Radar equipped ship indicator/detector

65 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles

This is just a suggestion so please keep non constructive criticism to yourself.

There have been several posts lately complaining about Radar in higher tiers and  it's unrealistic ability of detecting ships behind islands. Here's my suggestion:
Add an in-game feature that can identify radar equipped ships on the minimap and/or perhaps a captain skill or equipment option that can do this. Maybe an alert if a radar equipped ship is within distance to spot you. I think it might be a good way to keep everyone happy.

What are your thoughts? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,760
[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

No. Just assume any ship that can have it, has it. And then move along and play your game. There's no need to waste time and resources on something that doesn't matter, especially given all the things that really do need that time and money.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,575
Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
10 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

This is just a suggestion so please keep non constructive criticism to yourself.

There have been several posts lately complaining about Radar in higher tiers and  it's unrealistic ability of detecting ships behind islands. Here's my suggestion:
Add an in-game feature that can identify radar equipped ships on the minimap and/or perhaps a captain skill or equipment option that can do this. Maybe an alert if a radar equipped ship is within distance to spot you. I think it might be a good way to keep everyone happy.

What are your thoughts? 
 

The drivers of the Radar equipped ships wouldn't be happy since they'd be focus fired on right from the start. Or is that what you had in mind?

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,760
[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles
1 minute ago, ReddNekk said:

The drivers of the Radar equipped ships wouldn't be happy since they'd be focus fired on right from the start. Or is that what you had in mind?

And there is also that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,901
[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

It's really not that difficult to memorize all the ships equipped with radar.

USN: Indianapolis, Atlanta, NO, Baltimore, Des Moines, Missouri, Black

Soviet: Chappy, Donkey, Moskva

RN: Belfast, Edinburgh, Neptune, Minotaur

Pan Asia: TBA (T8+ DDs)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles
1 minute ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

No. Just assume any ship that can have it, has it. And then move along and play your game. There's no need to waste time and resources on something that doesn't matter, especially given all the things that really do need that time and money.

There's an issue with Radar and islands. I actually agree that something should be done to correct it since radar cannot work that way in real life. It's an easy fix but if WG doesn't want to that it should at least allow DDs to have some type of warning or indicator.

To assume that any ship has it basically makes every IJN DD unplayable. I don't think your suggestion works in mid battle.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles
3 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

The drivers of the Radar equipped ships wouldn't be happy since they'd be focus fired on right from the start. Or is that what you had in mind?

So let's take The CrimsonDemon's suggestion:   All radar equipped CAs should just assume that all of the enemy knows they have radar and play accordingly. 
Right now DDs aren't happy since as soon as radar is turned on most of the enemy focus fires on them.  I'm not sure how this is any different?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,136 posts
6,387 battles

Why should the enemy ship know what equipment you are using.. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by Raven114
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

It's really not that difficult to memorize all the ships equipped with radar.

USN: Indianapolis, Atlanta, NO, Baltimore, Des Moines, Missouri, Black

Soviet: Chappy, Donkey, Moskva

RN: Belfast, Edinburgh, Neptune, Minotaur

Pan Asia: TBA (T8+ DDs)

When I'm playing DD mid battle (IJN) and I have ships all around me as well as planes to avoid, I don't have time to start looking around to see where radar equipped ships are on the map, figure out what their radar range is and decide what to do. Not to mention that some CAs will be outside my detection and when they switch on the radar everyone will be focus firing at me.

I find it interesting that CA players don't want to give up their magical radar that sees behind islands and yet don't like the idea of balancing this issue with a simple feature.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles
5 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

Why should the enemy ship know what equipment you are using.. :Smile_facepalm:

OK  so why should some ships have magic radar that can see through islands?
I'm just suggesting that they either fix it or provide a balance to DDs.  BTW  this feature should only e available to DDs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,575
Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

So let's take The CrimsonDemon's suggestion:   All radar equipped CAs should just assume that all of the enemy knows they have radar and play accordingly. 
Right now DDs aren't happy since as soon as radar is turned on most of the enemy focus fires on them.  I'm not sure how this is any different?

The hazards of the job son! FYI; Cruisers get focused on by BBs as soon as they're detected too, Radar or no Radar. And we don't whine about it because that too is the hazard of the job.

I hate CVs but I understand that they're here to stay and I've leaned to deal with it. Radar's here to stay too, do the same.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles
Just now, ReddNekk said:

The hazards of the job son! FYI; Cruisers get focused on by BBs as soon as they're detected too, Radar or no Radar. And we don't whine about it because that too is the hazard of the job.

I hate CVs but I understand that they're here to stay and I've leaned to deal with it. Radar's here to stay too, do the same.

OK   so lets remove Radar's magical ability to see through islands and everyone should be happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[WOLF6]
Members
462 posts
3,462 battles
23 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Add an in-game feature that can identify radar equipped ships on the minimap and/or perhaps a captain skill or equipment option that can do this. Maybe an alert if a radar equipped ship is within distance to spot you. I think it might be a good way to keep everyone happy.

The type of equipment you are referring to is called Radar Warning Receiver, or RWR.  We already have something like this in game; the RPF/RDF/RL captain skill.  RL doesn't really work like RWR, though.

Perhaps RL could be changed so that when any ship equipped with it is hit with radar, it would automatically "back-spot" the radar ship for your team.  If an RL DD gets lit, the radar ship gets lit at the same time, for the duration of the radar.

This would, of course, remove the current purpose/utility of RL.  It would also make popping radar much more risky for any radar ship, and probably reduce the utility/use of radar too much.

BTW: Radar in game is supposed to see through islands.  That's how it's coded, and that's how it works.  IRL radar doesn't have time limits or cooldowns, so be glad for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,575
Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

When I'm playing DD mid battle (IJN) and I have ships all around me as well as planes to avoid, I don't have time to start looking around to see where radar equipped ships are on the map, figure out what their radar range is and decide what to do. Not to mention that some CAs will be outside my detection and when they switch on the radar everyone will be focus firing at me.

I find it interesting that CA players don't want to give up their magical radar that sees behind islands and yet don't like the idea of balancing this issue with a simple feature.  

There's your radar indicator, Problem solved!  :cap_like:

How is it, that you don't have time to bring up the map and press the alt key to see what's around you? It only takes a few seconds to do that. Situational awareness pard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts
10 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

It's really not that difficult to memorize all the ships equipped with radar.

USN: Indianapolis, Atlanta, NO, Baltimore, Des Moines, Missouri, Black

Soviet: Chappy, Donkey, Moskva

RN: Belfast, Edinburgh, Neptune, Minotaur

Pan Asia: TBA (T8+ DDs)

Pretty short list. Sucks to be you if you forget about it. These ships are usually not in radar range for the whole match, but their little advantage is part of their ship balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,724 posts
11,839 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

When I'm playing DD mid battle (IJN) and I have ships all around me as well as planes to avoid, I don't have time to start looking around to see where radar equipped ships are on the map, figure out what their radar range is and decide what to do. Not to mention that some CAs will be outside my detection and when they switch on the radar everyone will be focus firing at me.

I find it interesting that CA players don't want to give up their magical radar that sees behind islands and yet don't like the idea of balancing this issue with a simple feature.  

Not that hard to figure out where the radar ships are, or where they might be in the middle of the battle.  they would of been detected.  you should of already factored in the ship and its radar range when you decided to go in the area they are.  waiting until after they radar you to take notice is too late.  Map awareness goes a long ways in living. 

 

focus firing DDs when they are spotted is a good idea.  Just like when the radar ships are spotted, they get focused.  It is how it goes.  want to take a guess which type is squishier between DD and CA?  ill give you a hint, it isn't the DD. 

 

radar ships, mainly USN CAs, were already nerfed in the last patch thanks to the smoke changes.  I am glad you want the squishy ships to be even weaker, as they definitely need the nerf.  /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,901
[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles
17 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

When I'm playing DD mid battle (IJN) and I have ships all around me as well as planes to avoid, I don't have time to start looking around to see where radar equipped ships are on the map, figure out what their radar range is and decide what to do. Not to mention that some CAs will be outside my detection and when they switch on the radar everyone will be focus firing at me.

I find it interesting that CA players don't want to give up their magical radar that sees behind islands and yet don't like the idea of balancing this issue with a simple feature.  

use tab to check which ships are still in play

On the minimap, enable last known marker + ship name

Since IJN DDs have 7km, 10km or 12km torps, use that to judge approximate distance

USN/RN is max 9.9km

Soviet is 11.7km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,575
Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
29 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I find it interesting that CA players don't want to give up their magical radar that sees behind islands and yet don't like the idea of balancing this issue with a simple feature.

"Balance" to many DDrivers is for no one to be able to shoot at them.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles

Seems that I've angered CA players who don't want to address the imbalance of magical radar that can see through islands.

If radar can see through islands let DDs have map indicators of which DETECTED CA is radar equipped. It's really that simple. 

And you can go on as much as you want about how DD players should just keep track of everything during mid battle however, in reality none of what you are suggesting is realistic because DDs are already keeping track of non radar ships, gunboats, and avoiding enemy planes. 

What I'm hearing is very contradicting. If radar ships are so easy to track manually why do any of you have an issue of tracking them automatically?  I'm only referring to radar ships that are already detected. I've stopped playing tier 8-10 IJN DDs a long time ago like so many others. 

Edited by STINKWEED_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles
55 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

There's your radar indicator, Problem solved!  :cap_like:

How is it, that you don't have time to bring up the map and press the alt key to see what's around you? It only takes a few seconds to do that. Situational awareness pard.

Really?  Please explain this to me.

How is the  Radio positioning Finding skill in any way related to radar equipped ships?  Please, intrigue me, I'm all ears.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,575
Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Really?  Please explain this to me.

How is the  Radio positioning Finding skill in any way related to radar equipped ships?  Please, intrigue me, I'm all ears.
 

The subject of your thread is RADAR, which is what I replied to, not the Radio Location captain skill. Are you all ears?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Seems that I've angered CA players who don't want to address the imbalance of magical radar that can see through islands.

If radar can see through islands let DDs have map indicators of which DETECTED CA is radar equipped. It's really that simple. 

And you can go on as much as you want about how DD players should just keep track of everything during mid battle however, in reality none of what you are suggesting is realistic because DDs are already keeping track of non radar ships, gunboats, and avoiding enemy planes. 

What I'm hearing is very contradicting. If radar ships are so easy to track manually why do any of you have an issue of tracking them automatically?  I'm only referring to radar ships that are already detected. I've stopped playing tier 8-10 IJN DDs a long time ago like so many others. 

Radar could only be detected if it was active.  You already know you are being detected by radar, there is an indicator.

 

I agree that it shouldn't work through islands, but that is a game engine limitation ATM and has to do with proximity detection mechanics.  Beyond that though most people who can't figure out if they are in radar range would still die if they were told this information.  Adapt.  Stop running into a cap first thing and announcing your position within 4km.  Scout and find the radar cruisers and work around them.  If Russian, no closer than 11km.  If US, no closer than 10km.  There may be 3 players who run RN cruisers who use radar over smoke.  Belfast is no closer than 9km  If you are spotting him at 8.8km you are in danger.  At 8.5km you will be hit with radar.

 

What you are asking for would take development resources into a problem that can be solved through intelligent game play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[GR]
Members
2 posts
25,833 battles

OK so you want DD's to know where CA's with radar are when you are in radar range....does that mean all these CA's get the same indicator of when DD's are in torp range ?

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,311 posts
16,571 battles
1 minute ago, Psicopro said:

Radar could only be detected if it was active.  You already know you are being detected by radar, there is an indicator.

 

I agree that it shouldn't work through islands, but that is a game engine limitation ATM and has to do with proximity detection mechanics.  Beyond that though most people who can't figure out if they are in radar range would still die if they were told this information.  Adapt.  Stop running into a cap first thing and announcing your position within 4km.  Scout and find the radar cruisers and work around them.  If Russian, no closer than 11km.  If US, no closer than 10km.  There may be 3 players who run RN cruisers who use radar over smoke.  Belfast is no closer than 9km  If you are spotting him at 8.8km you are in danger.  At 8.5km you will be hit with radar.

 

What you are asking for would take development resources into a problem that can be solved through intelligent game play.


It's quite simple:  Either put the resources into fixing a radar that can see through islands or put the resources into providing DD players a quick indicator (perhaps above the ship) of which detected ship is radar equipped so that we don't have to press tab in the middle of battle while trying to avoid planes and gunboats and then try to calculate each CA's radar range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×