You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
aceu48

Are French Cruisers Good?

48 comments in this topic

[BTH]
Members
24 posts
2,174 battles

I am considering doing the French cruiser line. At the moment I am at t7 with German cruisers but would like to try out another cruiser line. I was wondering if the French cruisers are any good? Are they worth doing?

Thanks!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,725 posts
19,926 battles

Algerie and up are very good. La Galisonniere is ... not.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,173 posts
16,404 battles

Correction

Odd tier number starting from Friant is good. Every even tier from Friant somewhat need adjustment. Once reach LaAlgerie, every tier are good

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,680 posts
35,912 battles

Duguay Trouin and Emile Bertin are good if slow RoF.

Algerie is fine. Charkes Martell is good. Up the tier they are decent but not the best in tier.

Members
4,302 posts
26 minutes ago, Lert said:

Algerie and up are very good. La Galisonniere is ... not.

heretic.

La Gal is .. special,

elle a un caractère...

l2love her, one of the most charismatic if sometimes awkward cruisers I have played. (Ok, there are plenty others I have not..)

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

if you've ever played Russian DDs, they have a fairly similar play style. keep at range, set things on fire, and use your speed to stay out of trouble. good flanking and kiting ships, and very good at chasing down that enemy DD that thinks they got around the back side of your team. T7 and up, don't forget to load your park benches AP if you ever see a broadside cruiser.

[SOL-B]
Members
217 posts
7,876 battles

Love my Emile Bertin.   Highly recommend the Frenchies.   

Cooper_Capt

Order of the Deadly Baguette

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Yep, french cruisers are worth it, good and fun ships to play. The engine boost gives a lot of flexibility, you can run around the map very fast, going where your team needs more.

T4 and T5 are good. T6 is meh. And t7/8/9/10 are good.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,756 posts
15,311 battles

Good with Speed Boost Modification 1, otherwise they can struggle.

The HE spam at range playstyle is a little repetitive on the heels of Russian cruisers (to me at least).

[WOLF9]
Members
4,652 posts

I loved every French cruiser from Bougainville to Emile-Bertin.  

La Gallissonaire sucked rocks.  Paper armor and slow rof vs tier 6 mm?  Um, no- sorry, I pass.  Feels like a downgrade from Bertin but faces tougher mm.   It's either a grindwall, or a way to get you to spend some of your free xp to get past it.  Every line has one, this is France's.   The premium DeGrasse is essentially the same ship, and has all the same flaws.  I'd recommend not buying it unless you REALLY need a French captain trainer.

Algerie is great!   Looking forward to the rest,  just busy finishing my US cruiser grind.   I ground the Germans up to Hipper.  Love the ship, but- in the current meta, it's just not a great ship to play.   I'll get around to finishing that grind one of these days (tm).

[SPTR]
Members
27,186 posts
16,945 battles

most of their cruisers is good namely for me the with the exception of tier 1 and 2 which are thankfully very low tier which you can grind through quickly many say La Gal at T6 is bad because it follows the fantastic Emile Bertin which I kept as my T5 ship of choice, Algerie is average, then from there it keeps getting better then you get Henri IV a cruiser with big scary guns and despite probably being heavier of most T10 cruisers it moves like a Jetski!  

[GC]
Alpha Tester
832 posts
4,092 battles

I'm still salty about La Galissonniere being such a mediocre ship, because it was easily the one I was looking forward to the most in the entire line. It is one of the prettiest cruisers ever built.

--Helms

Members
4,302 posts
2 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

I'm still salty about La Galissonniere being such a mediocre ship, because it was easily the one I was looking forward to the most in the entire line. It is one of the prettiest cruisers ever built.

--Helms

I thought la Gal was mediocre at first, then I found that sweet spot that exists with any ship in game, and had a blast/

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

I think the mid tiers are where they shine brightest and I had most fun. Didn’t do 8-9 because of time/silver issues and the sale was ending but I was surprised how not-quite-French the Henry is and don’t play her nearly as much as zao or Hindi.

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
9,624 battles

I found the Algerie to be the worst of the lot.  When she's not boosting she's very sluggish.  While the shells have similar characteristics to the Martel, they feel much more floaty.  The lower tiers benefit from IFHE if you can get it.  Charles Martel is my favorite (if you couldn't tell).  Saint Louis was great but half way through the grind I just hit a wall were battles would end too quick.  Either our team would derp or theirs.  Wasn't fun.  Henri's been pretty good though it's seen mostly clan battles.

Edited by Chuck_Wiggles

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

It's no secret that I love me a French boat! I think the French boats are great fun to play, especially early and mid tier. Have a play around and see what you think :) if you're having fun, keep going, if not, try another line and see if it suits you better @aceu48

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

algerie and CM  are two of best cruiser in its tier.     whole line is pretty good iMHO.  

[WMD]
Members
1,765 posts
10,046 battles

I liked La Gal and hated Algerine... CM is fun so far. They are fun boats if you want speed and fire. I only have Germans CAs higher, but apart from Hipper/PE I like the French boats more. 

[NGA-B]
Members
142 posts
16,634 battles

What others said about Henri IV...fast, nimble, 9.4" guns, 10 sec reload, 9km torps, Hydro.

I enjoy it a lot.  Detection range is it's biggest drawback, IMHO.