Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sassover

Why not help USS Olympia too.

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
6 posts
451 battles

Love that you guys are raising money for USS Texas. I bought the Camo & Flag for my Texas. Maybe you guys could look into helping the USS Olympia in Philadelphia. I believe they have been having financial problems maintaining her for many years now. She is a Protected Cruiser from the Spanish American War. Was Dewey's Flagship at Manila Bay. Think she would be a great Tier II premium cruiser.

  • Cool 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,656
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Heck, even though not a warship, I'd definitely consider supporting this old girl in a future fundraiser event......she definitely needs some love:

ss-united-states.gif

A559,_SS_United_States,_Pier_82,_Columbus_Boulevard,_Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania,_USA,_2017.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,913
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,440 posts
20,595 battles

It'd probably take months or years to get the ship researched, modeled, tested, and into the game. Texas was significantly more doable, since it's already in the game.

That said, would be cool if they started on it now so we could see it farther down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
51 posts
1,325 battles
16 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Heck, even though not a warship, I'd definitely consider supporting this old girl in a future fundraiser event......she definitely needs some love:

ss-united-states.gif

A559,_SS_United_States,_Pier_82,_Columbus_Boulevard,_Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania,_USA,_2017.jpg

I used to walk by Her to and from work every day. So much money just to keep her there, it's mind numbing.
I'd like to see her made into a luxury water front Hotel/Museum.
The Olympia and Becuna need more pomp and circumstance than they're given at Penn's Landing. Granted, neither have the presence of the New Jersey across the river, but it's all about painting the right picture.
Good show bringing this up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,365
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,644 battles

Big U isn't ever going to get restored. They've been trying for like 30 years. A bunch of companies have looked into buying her and fixing her for use.  Too costly, even as a loss leader type project. They can hardly keep the ship at a dock. Sucks to say it, but that ship is only ever going to move between lay berths until she starts to sink, and will eventually end up  as a reef somewhere if she's lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,885
[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,303 posts
9,284 battles

Olympia is one that I'm extremely confused as to why they haven't made a premium yet.

 

We've got Aurora, we've got Mikasa, so where's Olympia?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,365
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,644 battles
3 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

Olympia is one that I'm extremely confused as to why they haven't made a premium yet.

 

We've got Aurora, we've got Mikasa, so where's Olympia?

 

Cause Olympia doesn't fit anywhere in the game at all. Almost everything about the ship basically says "I don't fit in this game."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
858
[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,066 posts
15,036 battles

Olympia could easily be a Tier 1 CA, so a T1 premium!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[EBONR]
[EBONR]
WoWS Community Contributors
233 posts
9,963 battles

Olympia seems to have a better pr team getting her name out there. She's a fine ship, and I'd buy her.

Her keel laying only predates the Albany (T2) by 6 years.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Olympia_(C-6)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Albany_(CL-23

 

Armament:
Edited by Black_Jack_Honour
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts

The museum ships that struggle for funding should receive federal funds. They are a national treasure. I'm much rather see my tax dollars going to preserve Texas and Olympia than some other crap. I doubt I will ever visit either, but they should be preserved for future generations.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,750
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I've been saying it for a while now. She'd make a fantastic litttle tier 2 premium floaty boat and her stats would probably come somewhat close to the St Louis. She'd be like the Mikasa really. Only 4 main guns in two turrets, but a heck of a secondary battery layout. Top speed speed of 22 knots, Decent armor for a protected cruiser, and heavier hitting guns. She'd be like a faster mini-Mikasa really xD

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
878
[REVY]
Members
2,492 posts
13,384 battles
5 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

Big U isn't ever going to get restored. They've been trying for like 30 years. A bunch of companies have looked into buying her and fixing her for use.  Too costly, even as a loss leader type project. They can hardly keep the ship at a dock. Sucks to say it, but that ship is only ever going to move between lay berths until she starts to sink, and will eventually end up  as a reef somewhere if she's lucky.

 

Not to mention she has no interior, it was gutted when they had that aborted attempt to make her a cruise liner in the 90s. They've also been selling off some engine room pieces for scrap to have money to keep her docked.

 

5 hours ago, Big_Spud said:

Olympia is one that I'm extremely confused as to why they haven't made a premium yet.

We've got Aurora, we've got Mikasa, so where's Olympia?

 

She's older then the others by about 5-6 years.

 

3 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

The museum ships that struggle for funding should receive federal funds. They are a national treasure. I'm much rather see my tax dollars going to preserve Texas and Olympia than some other crap. I doubt I will ever visit either, but they should be preserved for future generations.

 

Olympia was maintained as a relic by the US Navy (much like the USS Constitution) from 1931 to 1957. It was then turned over to the Olympia Cruiser association which then merged with the Independence Seaport museum in 1996.

 

At least she was better off then USS Oregon BB-3, she was loaned to Oregon as a memorial and museum, but in 1941, her scrap value was worth more then her historic value and she was sold, stripped, and finally scrapped in 1956.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,899
[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,368 battles
4 hours ago, Kitsunelegend said:

I've been saying it for a while now. She'd make a fantastic litttle tier 2 premium floaty boat and her stats would probably come somewhat close to the St Louis. She'd be like the Mikasa really. Only 4 main guns in two turrets, but a heck of a secondary battery layout. Top speed speed of 22 knots, Decent armor for a protected cruiser, and heavier hitting guns. She'd be like a faster mini-Mikasa really xD

 

I think the Olympia would work well in this regard too. I also think they will eventually put her in the game; it's just a matter of when, not if.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,194
[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
5 hours ago, Big_Spud said:

Olympia is one that I'm extremely confused as to why they haven't made a premium yet.

We've got Aurora, we've got Mikasa, so where's Olympia?

 

Olympia was first commissioned into active service back in early 1895.  Mikasa and Aurora were not commissioned until 1902 and 1903, respectively.  Even the Albany - the oldest ship in the game and already an anachronism even at Tier II - didn't get commissioned until five full years after the Olympia was already serving.  The Olympia had already done her thing in Manila Harbor almost a year before the Albany was even launched.

 

Unless the devs start introducing a bunch of ships that saw service in the 19th century (not going to happen, but something that I would be a huge fan of), the Olympia just isn't going to have a place in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,801
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
On 11/1/2017 at 0:50 PM, 20thCenturyLtd said:

She is a Protected Cruiser from the Spanish American War. 

 

I actually met a veteran of the Spanish-American War when I was working at a VA hospital in the 80s. He must have been one of the last alive. Unfortunately, time had robbed him of his faculties and I couldn't really talk to him about his experiences.  

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Isn't it a bit weird that action by a game company from Belarus is needed to save american historical monuments?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,770 battles

it says good things about WG that they are reaching out a hand to preserve naval history.  Western vidya developers are more interested in pushing narrative than literally everything else.  I don't think being a "consultant" is a viable job opportunity in Belarus, unless you are an actual historical consultant or someone with knowledge.  It's ironic that the most oldschool Soviet style state is what we're talking about when all of our corporations are the ones with actual commissars on the payroll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
On 01/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, 20thCenturyLtd said:

Love that you guys are raising money for USS Texas. I bought the Camo & Flag for my Texas. Maybe you guys could look into helping the USS Olympia in Philadelphia. I believe they have been having financial problems maintaining her for many years now. She is a Protected Cruiser from the Spanish American War. Was Dewey's Flagship at Manila Bay. Think she would be a great Tier II premium cruiser.

Fantastic idea @20thCenturyLtd! What a great cause! She is such a beautiful ship, be a shame if she fell into disrepair 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×