Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Anatomy of High Tier Economy

23 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
6,083 posts
18,564 battles

I've seen a few questions about how one can make money in high tier, I thought I would break down a match in my Yamato.

It was a mediocre performance:

Y1.thumb.jpg.4d0f42bfdea40ffc7a8394dd4c934af4.jpg

Finishing LAST on a winning team.

Y2.thumb.jpg.aa347a2f3f3a9c4ec4a5a0d739753e75.jpg

The key to turning a profit:  The paint!  Type 20.

More important than Premium!

It gives 20% more credits.

And most importantly, it reduces repair by half (This is key!!!)

Note I don't even run the economy flags.

Y3.thumb.jpg.8ba27803b1864a1981f9b5adb374d728.jpg

And here are the results.

Even with non-premium, it's net gain...on a sub-par performance.

If I did the math correctly, the paint alone was over 100K in credit swing.

The big difference Preimium makes is the 82K net would cover DCP and RT premium consumables.

Y4.thumb.jpg.a10759b218c1f8ede6b557ff107d86b9.jpg

Mediocre performance and still making money.  It's all in the paint.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Don't you mean it's all in how much you're willing to spend, just to play Tier 10?:Smile_teethhappy:

Sort of, but I think the point is that you can make money in T10 even if you don't play very well.  In this regard it's far more forgiving than Tanks.  A reasonably good player should be able to play T10 with without making a net loss on average.

We all know that WG's business model is based on getting people to pay them real money so it's not exactly a shocker that permanent camo gives you an economic advantage, but it might be useful information for people who struggle to have enough credits to play top tier ships and want to know if the permanent camo is "worth it" for them.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,666 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

Don't you mean it's all in how much you're willing to spend, just to play Tier 10?:Smile_teethhappy:

Well, yeah, when you think about it. Premium time plays an important factor here as well, and that costs money. Zulu (+20% credits) and India Bravo Terrathree (-10% repair cost) can be purchased with money. I bought the permanent camo for my Fletcher and I run Zulu/IBT flags on it which has turned it into one heck of a credit earner. 

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

I know most don't want to, or can't. spend money on the game.  That said at T10 the best spent money in on the premium camo for the ship.  MY GK prints credits with it whereas without it I would probably struggle to build up a decent bank in any period of time.  Premium time on top is a big bonus.  The camo is a one time expense at 5000 dubs I believe.  Premium time is really cheap if you think about it. 

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
961 posts
10,139 battles

I heard they were buying back the Kutuzov I sold it in a heartbeat....that's two more T10 camos I can buy now :D T10s can make bank with those, love it. It's all that ship ever fought anyway so I was fine selling it.

[RLGN]
Members
14,949 posts
26,483 battles
41 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Mediocre performance and still making money.  It's all in the paint.

Also in what you do; I've had sucky games according to the usual statistics, damage, ships sunk, but have turned a profit because I collected a lot of different ribbons; caps, defense ribbons, planes shot down, secondary hits...

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Wow! Like... really? You made money on that game? I had games in GK where I got around 2k base XP and a kill or two, and I still lost money or make very little, like 20k or something.

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles

I think the economy in Tier IX and X Co-op needs to be tweaked.  Some people, like me, like to play co-op a lot, just to avoid lemming trains, campers, and other kinds of buffoonery typical of pub matches.  The economy at those tiers, unless you do very well, is not favorable.  I understand that Tiers IX and X are supposed to be for 'fun', but I disagree that Co-op players should be punished economically for just wanting to relax and destroy some bots.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,331 posts
23,744 battles
25 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

I think the economy in Tier IX and X Co-op needs to be tweaked.  Some people, like me, like to play co-op a lot, just to avoid lemming trains, campers, and other kinds of buffoonery typical of pub matches.  The economy at those tiers, unless you do very well, is not favorable.  I understand that Tiers IX and X are supposed to be for 'fun', but I disagree that Co-op players should be punished economically for just wanting to relax and destroy some bots.

I play PvE almost exclusively, only play PvP to farm rewards and campaign missions. Personally I find the payout in xp and credits sufficient in co-op even at the upper tiers and see absolutely no reason for it to be changed. Would much rather see a path to complete missions thru PvE via base xp so we would not have to enter PvP to work on mission rewards. I plan on working my way to tier 10 with several ship lines but once I have them, have zero interest in playing tier 10 matches. I only want the top tier ships in port to farm the rewards for actually owning them. All my favorite ships are lower tier and playable only in PvE since matchmaking is just a mess in the game. The way to make upper tier play in PvE profitable is to just farm the first win reward and move along to another ship. Continued play in co-op past that is unprofitable after that unless you play with signals to help make some cash.

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles
14 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

.... Personally I find the payout in xp and credits sufficient in co-op even at the upper tiers and see absolutely no reason for it to be changed. . Continued play in co-op past that is unprofitable after that unless you play with signals to help make some cash....

Then its obviously not sufficient.  If it was, we could continue to play endlessly and it would be plenty profitable enough....without signals and flags and every bonus in the game....

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,252 posts
9,727 battles
1 hour ago, mohawkdriver said:

For co op, having all the bonuses is needed to make tier 9 and 10 your credit grinder.

I made a lot of my money in the Yamato since I've obtained her and played her exclusively in co op

fotpigU.jpg

This is from another co op match and it shows the break down of my current set up and bonuses that I have for her

RpoRZbQ.jpg

• Cool 1

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles
1 hour ago, Vader_Sama said:

For co op, having all the bonuses is needed to make tier 9 and 10 your credit grinder.

I made a lot of my money in the Yamato since I've obtained her and played her exclusively in co op

fotpigU.jpg

This is from another co op match and it shows the break down of my current set up and bonuses that I have for her

RpoRZbQ.jpg

I know what you mean.  I just hate using my high-end camo for co-op.

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I play PvE almost exclusively, only play PvP to farm rewards and campaign missions. Personally I find the payout in xp and credits sufficient in co-op even at the upper tiers and see absolutely no reason for it to be changed. Would much rather see a path to complete missions thru PvE via base xp so we would not have to enter PvP to work on mission rewards. I plan on working my way to tier 10 with several ship lines but once I have them, have zero interest in playing tier 10 matches. I only want the top tier ships in port to farm the rewards for actually owning them. All my favorite ships are lower tier and playable only in PvE since matchmaking is just a mess in the game. The way to make upper tier play in PvE profitable is to just farm the first win reward and move along to another ship. Continued play in co-op past that is unprofitable after that unless you play with signals to help make some cash.

If I understand you correctly, you don't have any Tier X ships.  When you get there, play some co-op without any modifiers and let me know if you still feel there's no reason to change the economy.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,331 posts
23,744 battles
18 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

If I understand you correctly, you don't have any Tier X ships.  When you get there, play some co-op without any modifiers and let me know if you still feel there's no reason to change the economy.

Nope just the tier 9's. Again without the modifiers, like I said, you won't do well unless you use signals... Not sure why that was so hard to understand, thought it was clear. They don't want you to grind ships in PvE, they want you in PvP so they make the grind unprofitable and long. Luckily it is more fun, that is the tradeoff. You want more, get into PvP or play in a match where you are the only human and can farm lots of bots. Wargaming fixed the economy a bit ago and it is far superior than it used to be.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,252 posts
9,727 battles
4 hours ago, mohawkdriver said:

I know what you mean.  I just hate using my high-end camo for co-op.

High end as in permanent camo? If not then using high-end camo for high tier ships in co op is needed to grind faster, but no camo offers a reduction in service cost as large as the permanent camo for tier 9's and 10's and you can use those forever.

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles
3 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

High end as in permanent camo? If not then using high-end camo for high tier ships in co op is needed to grind faster, but no camo offers a reduction in service cost as large as the permanent camo for tier 9's and 10's and you can use those forever.

I was actually referring to the typical stuff you get for certain accomplishments, Halloween, etc.  I'm finding out that the permanent camo is the way to go on 9-10 ships, but the price is a bit intimidating.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,252 posts
9,727 battles
3 hours ago, mohawkdriver said:

I was actually referring to the typical stuff you get for certain accomplishments, Halloween, etc.  I'm finding out that the permanent camo is the way to go on 9-10 ships, but the price is a bit intimidating.

Tier 10 camo by itself is self sustainable without the need for premium time and flags. It is a one time purchase unlike premium time and the economy flags.

The tier 9 camo may not be self sustainable as it doesn't offer as much as the tier 10 camo.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

my hindy with premium camo will clear 150 to 200k per match for me.    no complaint.     t9 camo  isn't as needed since we got so many premium camos from events.     with premium account, you can easily break even or make a bit at t9 anyway.

• Cool 1

Members
1,306 posts
7,142 battles
15 hours ago, mohawkdriver said:

WG has to punish you economically otherwise people could just farm lots of credits in quick and easy co-op matches. If people could do that there would be less of a need for them to buy premium ships, premium time, premium and permanent camos etc. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Getting the camo on my Hindenburg, some of the best spent money. Now I can play tier 10 and not have to worry about breaking my bank. Now I just need the same for Des Moines.

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles
9 hours ago, Rocketpacman said:

WG has to punish you economically otherwise people could just farm lots of credits in quick and easy co-op matches. If people could do that there would be less of a need for them to buy premium ships, premium time, premium and permanent camos etc. 

Good point.

Sign in to follow this