Sign in to follow this  
_Doc_Holliday

Need some advice on captain skills

7 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,548 battles

Sorry for starting another topic that many have already started.  I just started going down the UK BB line after being gone for a long time.  So far it's been a blast.  I've heard that this is a line where using HE a lot is a must to get the most damage.  However, I've been flingin' one shots at enemy cruisers using only AP.  I'm surprised how tight my dispersions has been so far.  I unlocked the Orion last night and I'm currently grinding it today.  My question is, what captain skills should I start going for that will benefit me the most throughout the grind?  My current skills are:

1. Expert Loader (Since I've heard the UK BB's need to switch out HE and AP a lot so I figured this will help.  Current reload after the first is 15 seconds)

2. Expert Marksman

3. Superintendent

I have 2 points and I'm working on getting the other 2 needed for the 4th skill.  I'm kinda torn between CE or IFHE.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,679 posts
35,881 battles

CE indeed. Once you get up the line, the Brit BBs are known for their concealment, besides their powerful heal and fire starting capabilities.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles

CE is needed as her normal HE shell already done lots of pen to low tier cruiser armor.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,428 posts
4,198 battles

CE. IFHE I'm told doesn't gain you much on the RN BBs because of spaced citadel armor. CE is a must.

PM and PT are probably better than EL at first. Come back for EL. Fire Prevention is probably the second 4pt skill you should take.

Also, DE doesn't get you much, because the fire chance is already so high.

Finally, The RN line (at the the 9 and 10) will get nerfed at some point, so maybe don't commit fully in case something changes.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,234 posts
24,629 battles
8 hours ago, _Doc_Holliday said:

Sorry for starting another topic that many have already started.  I just started going down the UK BB line after being gone for a long time.  So far it's been a blast.  I've heard that this is a line where using HE a lot is a must to get the most damage.  However, I've been flingin' one shots at enemy cruisers using only AP.  I'm surprised how tight my dispersions has been so far.  I unlocked the Orion last night and I'm currently grinding it today.  My question is, what captain skills should I start going for that will benefit me the most throughout the grind?  My current skills are:

1. Expert Loader (Since I've heard the UK BB's need to switch out HE and AP a lot so I figured this will help.  Current reload after the first is 15 seconds)

2. Expert Marksman

3. Superintendent

I have 2 points and I'm working on getting the other 2 needed for the 4th skill.  I'm kinda torn between CE or IFHE.

CE for your first Tier 4 skill.  The RN BB line past Tier VI start getting better and better concealment ranges, better than the "Stealth Build" USN BBs like NC's 11.8km, and that says something.  Stealth, speed, and controlling your engagement is important because once you're into Tier VII on, do note your armor plating around the ship... Everything outside the belt is paper thin and you will eat a lot of penetrating damage.  People will rarely if ever citadel you, but they can slam you hard by penetrations.  The worst are Cruisers, especially spammy IFHE 152mm Cruisers.  It's very, very easy to rack up penetrating damage on a RN BB with a Cruiser.  So yes, great concealment is a BIG DEAL for RN BBs.  Not at the tiers you're in right now, but from VII on, it is.

Side note:  EM is vital for RN BBs Tier VI and below with their awful turret traverse.  But once you get to Tier VII, turret traverse is much nicer and EM is not a necessity.

Shell usage is simple yet it's a trap.

You'll always here, "Just use HE when you're in a RN BB."  It is more straight forward compared to traditional AP-heavy usage of other BBs, but if you neglect AP you miss out on some terrific damage opportunities, especially with the 419's of Tier IX-X.

RN BB with their quicker AP fuses may have some trouble penetrating thicker belts out there, but do still try.  Or if in doubt, use those quicker fuses and aim higher on the belt or superstructure... Just like you would as a Cruiser firing AP into a German BB.

RN BB HE is great for consistent damage and pressuring the target with fires.  But at the right times, AP will do better instant damage, in particular against Cruisers.  If you keep HE loaded only, you miss out on some opportunities.  This was especially true if you settle on HE only with Conqueror.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this