Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tzarevitch

Roon

40 comments in this topic

[NUWES]
Members
3,243 posts
11,541 battles

What do people think of Roon? I completed the American CAs, the French CAs, and I am up to Neptune on the British CLs, and Mogami on the Japanese CAs, but Roon baffles me and I am really starting to hate it. Admittedly I am still stock, but the ship seems deadly hard to operate against BBs due to poor agility, poor turret placement and poor range, and it isn't particularly stellar against any of the other classes either. The gun firing arcs are typical German nice and the turrets are decent speed even on the stock hull but the turret placement is absolutely awful if you are trying to advance or support a rush. They have a long way to traverse if something pops up ahead of you on the wrong side. You also have to expose a lot of hull to get the remaining 2/3 of your firepower to work and that turns you into a piñata for BBs. It also can't hunt DDs well even with German hydro because 2/3 of your firepower is in the back.

Other than one more gun this thing feels like a downgrade over Hipper. What do people suggest with this thing, other than upgrade out of stock configuration? 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

roon is best t9 cruiser in the game.    fun ship that is very capable.   run double rudder and I actually run rof module once I got the  FCS upgrade. ran range module early on though.      

Edited by centarina

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,507 battles
Just now, Tzarevitch said:

What do people think of Roon? I completed the American CAs, the French CAs, and I am up to Neptune on the British CLs, and Mogami on the Japanese CAs, but Roon baffles me and I am really starting to hate it. Admittedly I am still stock, but the ship seems deadly hard to operate against BBs due to poor agility, poor turret placement and poor range, and it isn't particularly stellar against any of the other classes either. The gun firing arcs are typical German nice and the turrets are decent speed even on the stock hull but the turret placement is absolutely awful if you are trying to advance or support a rush. They have a long way to traverse if something pops up ahead of you on the wrong side. You also have to expose a lot of hull to get the remaining 2/3 of your firepower to work and that turns you into a piñata for BBs. It also can't hunt DDs well even with German hydro because 2/3 of your firepower is in the back.

Other than one more gun this thing feels like a downgrade over Hipper. What do people suggest with this thing, other than upgrade out of stock configuration? 

Roon is sort of like a large version of an Udaloi or Khabarovsk. Once you get her upgraded, try playing her the way you would a VMF DD, stick to ~14 or so km and just kite and use HE. AP against broadsides. Her turret placement excels for this. If you need to assist in the capture of a point, then dont be afraid to push up and support with Hydro and gunfire. 

[ANZAC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
393 posts
11,568 battles

8' equipped Nurnberg is how I approach her.  Maybe not the recommended approach but I like using her ridiculous range for a cruiser and the spotter plane.

I've yet to seriously grind her out for the Hindy tho.

• Cool 1

[VANN]
[VANN]
Members
963 posts
5,902 battles
9 minutes ago, centarina said:

roon is best t9 cruiser in the game.    fun ship that is very capable.   run double rudder and I actually run rof module once I got the  FCS upgrade. ran range module early on though.      

^^ This.  Love the Roon.  So much more fun to play than the Hipper for me, personally.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,943 posts
20,055 battles

Have to say, Roon was my favorite tier 9 cruiser, easy to grind... but I sold to finance the amazing Hindenburg.  Why drive a BMW 3 series when you can get a 7 series...

• Cool 2

[ANKER]
Members
228 posts
6,381 battles

Best T9 cruiser.

Very comfortable to play and easier to play than Hindy i personally think.

great AP, great He, can kite for days. Good survivability for a cruiser.

Obviously, you gotta judge it once upgraded but very fun to play.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles

I don't run double rudder shift, I run 1 and last with CE as my mind set I will get fire once detected so I used the WASD hack

I like the RoF as I am hurting bb as well, and torp is pre caution for dd

I found that early game stay at range, stalk their fleet a little bit and figure which target to commit or which action would benefit the game. I often HE from range to get fire going first, then dd if opportunity given then AP.

I also use hydro/plane to help depend on the situation. Middle game late game I am hunting and charging capping

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles

Roon's a excellent ship. She can hold her own against tier 10s very well. Her turret arrangement is unique but if you have experience with Konigsberg and Nurnberg you shouldn't have any difficulties. If you run double rudder, your maneuverability will improve a lot. I never used Concealment Mod on my Roon and don't use it on Hindenberg either. The detection range on both ships is so high that CM doesn't help much. Plus I'm always shooting when targets are in range so I'm seldom dark anyway. (that's where the double rudder mods come in handy, dodging those incoming shells)

Just now, Panzer1113 said:

Have to say, Roon was my favorite tier 9 cruiser, easy to grind... but I sold to finance the amazing Hindenburg.  Why drive a BMW 3 series when you can get a 7 series...

Same here! :Smile_great:

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

I'm also grinding KM cruisers and just got it as well. The Roon is excellent so far, I find it  more enjoyable and lethal than the Hipper(which wasn't a bad ship). It does fine in tier 10 matches.

As others have mentioned she is an excellent kiter and sniper, especially with double rudder mods to help her manueverability...snipe/dodge/snipe. The rudder mods are also a big help when facing forward and you need to swing the tail end around to get those rear guns in play.

Once you have the fire control upgrade it has excellent(20 km?) range as well, what was a liability turns into a strength. You may want to use the range mod until you have it fully upgraded, then you can equip the reload mod.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[SQUAD]
Members
9,176 posts
11,680 battles
1 hour ago, centarina said:

Neptune is far, far better.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

She's like a gigantic Nurnberg. You have to kite running away to do the best damage. Stick to HE since KM cruisers get the 1/4th barrel diameter. Punish any Khab that so much sneezes at you.  Roon is a long range sniper glass cannon. Play as such get the double rudder and dance.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles
20 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

do you even have a neptune?     and I thought you quit.   :cap_wander:    I can't even stomach edinburgh, so I never made to neptune.  lol

[DOG]
Members
709 posts
12,557 battles
2 hours ago, delp5117 said:

^^ This.  Love the Roon.  So much more fun to play than the Hipper for me, personally.

Second this.  I did very well in the Hipper (and kept it) but Roon is so so sweet. 

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
982 posts
9,093 battles

The Roon is a beast. It prepares you well for the Hindy, which is even MORE of a beast. I'd say its easily the best T9 in the game. The Balti could make an argument, but its the trade of radar for torps. Just depends on personal preference. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,243 posts
11,541 battles

Ok. I gave up and used free xp to buy off of the stock hull. It definitely turns better but I wouldn't call it "agile." The gun arcs are definitely a thing of beauty but those two aft turrets ... ugh. I hadn't used K-berg and N-berg in ages. I forgot how bad that two aft gun arrangement is. 

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
19 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Ok. I gave up and used free xp to buy off of the stock hull. It definitely turns better but I wouldn't call it "agile." The gun arcs are definitely a thing of beauty but those two aft turrets ... ugh. I hadn't used K-berg and N-berg in ages. I forgot how bad that two aft gun arrangement is. 

I am still grinding the Hipper, but it sounds like the Roon works better when retreating in front of an advancing enemy; sorta like UKCLs that work better when the enemy closes with you, rather than the other way around. 

Members
1,442 posts
8,824 battles
25 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I am still grinding the Hipper, but it sounds like the Roon works better when retreating in front of an advancing enemy; sorta like UKCLs that work better when the enemy closes with you, rather than the other way around. 

Yeah, when you're kiting away from an advancing enemy, having most of your guns on the back half of the ship becomes an advantage because you can zigzag around with less loss of firepower.  This means the Roon is at its best when it's stalling for time on the softer flank, and that's how you should try to position, optimally.

Of course, it's still a pretty flexible cruiser even when you can't play the kite game.  The firing arcs and traverse speed are good.  The torpedo launch angles are good.  The shell velocity and DPM are good.  It can shove DD's out of caps with that German sonar.  Its AA isn't bad.  It's got a lot of hitpoints and a pretty well-protected citadel for a cruiser.  There's really way more good than bad in there.

Edited by Vaidency

[RLGN]
Members
14,931 posts
26,442 battles
4 hours ago, Panzerlin said:

8' equipped Nurnberg is how I approach her.  Maybe not the recommended approach but I like using her ridiculous range for a cruiser and the spotter plane.

I've yet to seriously grind her out for the Hindy tho.

Wonder why they went back to that arrangement... Maybe that would be a good thing for me, since I seemed to do so well with Konigsburg and Nurnburg...

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
11 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Debatable.  The smoke nerf makes her much more situational now, where Roon can excel in almost any environment.  I liked both a lot, but having to choose between the two, I'd probably settle on Roon.  Ships that rely on smoke to succeed aren't usually my cup of tea.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,051 battles

You mean Battleship Roon?  It took me awhile to click with her, I tend to be a bit too aggressive and pay for it, but managed to time it right in this game and brawl a Colorado and put myself in a position to flank two enemy cruisers.

https://replayswows.com/replay/8238#stats

8238_656_1509495065.jpg

8238_705_1509495066.jpg

Way she handles seems to be as if the Hipper and the Nurnberg had a kid, and then got overprotective and fortified the clothing with some light weight Kevlar.  She's not a Bismarck level of armor, but it's definitely not something to shrug off either.  I'm usually pretty confident on taking same tier or lower Cruisers in the Roon.  Tier 10 cruisers give me a little pause but not too much, but like any other cruiser it's the BB's I'm always on the look out for, and those you simply wiggle your German steel rear at them from long range and pepper them with HE as they chase.  Then once they turn and give up, send some AP at the upper belt/Superstructure and be shocked and amazed at the high damage number. 

[NOBUL]
Members
67 posts
11,293 battles

If your past T8 in American line and did well in the NO, play it like that.  Add the rudder mod and stay at mid ranges.  Your accuracy and wiggle plus armor will keep you alive for the early and mid game and then turn and push in the end game.

Sign in to follow this