Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Tweak to which signals are awarded when

25 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

WG, please change how you're distributing signals.  Right now there are three methods of collecting signals, outside of special events:

Combat Awards

Daily Crates

Premium Shop

The Premium Shop allows the purchase of +XP type flags.  Which is fine and as it should be.

The Daily Crates distribute nearly any type of flag, as far as I can tell.  Which is fine, and as it should be.

The Combat Awards should stop giving out +XP flags.  Instead, combat awards should give out some combination of the performance boosting combat flags that you can't buy.  Give me more combat flags for combat!  I'll get the +XP flags another way.

While you're at it, how about some new Combat Flags:

+20% penetration for secondaries

+10% acceleration

- 5% rudder shift

Members
1,465 posts
7,121 battles

I like the idea of combat flags, but stopping the xp flag is not a good idea. The forum would fill up with the anger of players grinding. 

Members
2,855 posts
9,169 battles

Would like to see all of the signal flags available in the shop. They did that for about 2 weeks about the time I started playing in March of 15. Course I still wasn't sure how to use them yet and didn't buy any.

[USCC2]
Members
6,182 posts
14 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

+10% acceleration

- 5% rudder shift

BB player?

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
14 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

+10% acceleration

- 5% rudder shift

IFHE already gives 30% penetration.

There is a 5% acceleration flag, 10% would be way too OP on some Russian DDs (almost 50 knots speed!)

[-WD-]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
11,580 battles
24 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

The Combat Awards should stop giving out +XP flags.  Instead, combat awards should give out some combination of the performance boosting combat flags that you can't buy.  Give me more combat flags for combat!  I'll get the +XP flags another way.

+10% acceleration

- 5% rudder shift

No WG !

Please keep XP/Free XP flags comming. They make grind much nicer to handle, specially upgrading from stock ship!

OP definitely BB player.

Maybe he wants also +20% Rate of Fire, 20% turret rotation and 20% more accuracy against DDs ?

[USCC2]
Members
6,182 posts
7 minutes ago, SeaBreeze_ said:

Lol, i did not think of that when i read the post... good catch. I looked his main are BBs and that they are German BB to boot. 

Not to catch him out - I am a DD/CA main so looked at the suggestions and just thought...:Smile_amazed:

I'm sure Dreadnought is not suggesting additional signal types just for BBs, but for all types (they were probably just the first to pop into his mind as he is a BB (German) player). :Smile_honoring:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

Open to all kinds of suggestions.   I'm just addicted to secondaries.  I routinely get CQB awards in my cruisers.   Very satisfying.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,051 battles
24 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There is a 5% acceleration flag, 10% would be way too OP on some Russian DDs (almost 50 knots speed!)

10% boost on my Leningrad with special engine boost upgrade?

lhjhbB9.gif

Beta Testers
631 posts
6,030 battles

Sorry, but a +20% to secondary penetration is not going to provide as much benefit as you think it would. Plus its just not a good idea, because the only type that it would somewhat work on is the battleships, maybe carriers but probably not.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
29 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

4 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

10% boost on my Leningrad with special engine boost upgrade?

lhjhbB9.gif

Oh I wasn't talking about "Top Speed."  I was talking about a reduced version of the module that reduces the time it takes your ship to accelerate.

I actually wanted it for some of my cruisers.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
1 minute ago, Panic512 said:

Sorry, but a +20% to secondary penetration is not going to provide as much benefit as you think it would. Plus its just not a good idea, because the only type that it would somewhat work on is the battleships, maybe carriers but probably not.

I was thinking it would be like an "IFHE light", but only for secondaries.

Beta Testers
631 posts
6,030 battles

I picked up on that, but at the same time I can already see the complaints about secondaries that would do more damage with that increased pen. Plus if you think about it, image how ridiculous a Kurfurst or a Yamato would be if it was a secondary build and had the captain spec for secondary, it would be a bit ridiculous.

[HINON]
Members
13,717 posts

WG is opposed to purchasing combat flags since they give an advantage. I love economic flags from crates as they can be useful on many captains.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,724 posts
12,914 battles

Well I can see that there are plenty of people who don't understand the difference between "acceleration" and "top speed". 

Edited by HazardDrake

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Hi all, thanks for sharing your feedback and suggestions on this feature. Your valued feedback is always important to help improve future game features. 

[-KIA-]
Members
5,193 posts
13,746 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Sierra Mike increases top speed, not engine performance.  Only Engine Boost and Propulsion Mod 2 affect that (aside from WG sorcery - looking at you, UK CLs).

I wouldn't be opposed to more flags, but primary armament reloads should not be affected by them.  Ever.  We don't need that.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
24 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

A "gold" flag (20% penetration increase)?  Reminds me of gold rounds...

It's only for secondaries and you can't buy it.... so it's not like gold rounds at all actually.

[RLGN]
Members
14,884 posts
26,418 battles
1 hour ago, DudeWhereIsMyTank said:

Maybe he wants also +20% Rate of Fire, 20% turret rotation and 20% more accuracy against DDs ?

Only way to get better accuracy against destroyers is to shoot at them more often...

...watch on the mini-map more times then I care to count as destroyers buz close to some bigger ship; and it dies and they live... I ping the things, warn about them in chat; and still the big ship dies, and the DD lives...

...are people that bad at shooting? Are they ignoring the DD and hoping it will go away? Is there really no concept in the player base at large of map awareness?

So many other times I watch as all the destroyers on my team die, and none on the other team die.

Things I see; especially in higher tiers, where I would expect most players to know better; sometimes just make me shake my head, put on my tin foil hat, and support theories about hidden skill-based MM protocols...

Members
4,488 posts
20,684 battles

How about 10 knots faster torps 

Or 10% reload on torpedoes

Or how about this one 10% less detection range

By the way I am a destroyer main :Smile_popcorn:

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,793 posts
5,911 battles

*dreams of putting a 10% acceleration flag on Izzy.*

Can it affect deacceleration too?

Edited by aether_tech

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
1 hour ago, aether_tech said:

Can it affect deacceleration too?

Technically speaking, deceleration does not exist -- there is merely acceleration, which can be positive or negative in relation to the relative velocity of an object. This is where science fiction writers have it woefully wrong in regards to their fictional spaceships, which might as well have magic engines.

When I am trying to stop an actual boat fast I will reverse the prop and gun the engine. I've been doing the same in the game by hitting "S" an extra time and going into reverse. However, I can't really tell if it has any real effect on how fast a ship slows in the game. Perhaps someone here knows or has tested it. 

[STW-A]
Members
96 posts
12,982 battles
6 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

WG, please change how you're distributing signals.  Right now there are three methods of collecting signals, outside of special events:

Combat Awards

Daily Crates

Premium Shop

The Premium Shop allows the purchase of +XP type flags.  Which is fine and as it should be.

The Daily Crates distribute nearly any type of flag, as far as I can tell.  Which is fine, and as it should be.

+10% acceleration

- 5% rudder shift

Interesting suggestions.

These flags IMO might be too powerful, as some ships are already too dangerous; we already know what ships like the Khaba and Zao could do with the Acceleration and rudder flags.  Their implementation would require a re-framing of game balance as a matter of course.  But these are good starting points of discussion.

Piggy-backing on this, I would rather the flags be used as carrots to encourage better play.  This entails making new achievements.  There are many aspects of the game which are recorded for posterity, but are not awarded, because of the XP is not broken down post-battle.  Even if it were broken down, most novices and (frankly) bad players probably wouldn't pay much attention unless a flag or achievement showed up in their profiles.  The achievement could be granted "once per battle" with a single flag as a reward.  This would be to facilitate a lower threshold of achievement for the players who need to learn the mechanic most, while ensuring the market isn't flooded with flags.  Unicums would get their regular 10 flags per day as they always do, while noobs would have a decent chance at getting one or two.

For example:

1) Potential damage (Reward flag: -5% rudder shift).  The India Delta flag rewards ships with heals for taking damage, but most ships in WOWs don't have a heal, excluding them from acquiring this achievement.  This does not mean that they don't draw fire and provide valuable "tanking" for their team, of course.  The new achievement and flag would be awarded based on a multiplicative factor of the ship's Health pool.  I think 25x would be reasonable; a Desrki would have to tank 250k, while a Kurfurst would have to tank more than 2.5 million - and it would encourage some of those lazy German BB drivers to stop sniping from the rear all game :Smile-angry:.

2) Spotting damage (Reward: -10% torpedo and bomber reload).  It's one of the most important mechanics inthe game, if not the most important.  It's absolutely devastating to the fun-factor and balance within a battle when a DD - and especially a CV - doesn't pay attention to spotting mechanics.  If baseline CV players could learn to play better, the game would benefit immensely and provide WG and its user base with some leeway in how to balance and grow their ranks: fewer one-sided battles, more reliable ways to re-work the CVs without making them idiot-proof/OP, more options for other aspects such as game modes (rather than having to remove them), etc.  As for a threshold?  4x the health pool is easily doable.

3) Capture points (Reward: -10% time to reach full power when accelerating).  It never fails to amaze me how some people still chase damage and kills, even at the cost of winning the game.  It's quite obvious they don't keep objectives in mind, tunnel visioning into their scope.  When they bother looking at the minimap, they see enemy ships, not caps.  You'll watch an entire T10 fleet chase after a kiting ship, and nobody goes for the  cap :etc_swear:.   I know that capture points are well rewarded in WOWs in terms of XP, but it's either not enough or not the right kind of reward.  So add an achievement bonus on top of the XP for soloing the cap (so that someone remembers to go for the cap! :Smile_izmena:), or capturing 2 caps, or staying in the caps and accumulating time spent in caps throughout a battle regardless of whether the cap is captured - anything.  And since the capture points are areas where maneuverability is a priority, a flag related to maneuverability makes sense.

There would need to be adjustments, nerfing ships to accommodate the flags, nerfing the flags to accommodate balance, fiddling with the achievement thresholds, and observing the effect in tests, etc.  But there are plenty of ways to implement rewards.  Flags are one method, alternate currency for different module upgrades, little vanity perks for ships, etc, but there's plenty of room for the imagination.

Edited by Jerych
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this