Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Labedoyere

Cesare (SPQR) Flag

22 comments in this topic

Members
178 posts
7,700 battles

ok....i will admit to being a wee bit odd just to buy a ship with a SPQR flag.....But i have always been in the Romans....BUT....I did see a picture/graphic of the boat with a SPQR flag and when i bought the ship that flag did not come with it. Anyone get the ship with a SPQR flag?

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

This may be another example of WG engaging in what can be termed 'misdirection advertising' (bait & switch). Recall the HSF ship sale.

It sure looked as though one would get not one but two anime commanders - the Cpt & the XO. What came with the purchase? Just the Cpt. Still waiting for the XO here.

So, maybe, just maybe, the same is going on with the SPQR flag?  Bait & Switch. Force one to buy the costliest package to get it even if the other baubles aren't wanted.

Maybe, you can just 'lump it' & send in a ticket to CS & offer to pay the difference to obtain that flag.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,552 battles

Did you check the Exterior>Flags tab for your ship?  I had gotten the Ultimate version and it did show up in the list.  You still have to select and make it active.  It's not active by default.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

I bought it, and I like it.

Full disclosure, I also needed the doubloons for my upcoming Missouri purchase.  With the premium time added in, it really paid for the extra cost over the cost of the base ship.  So I decided, "why not get the flag also?"  So I did, and I have it mounted on my Ceasare.  I'll probably mount it on all my Italian ships when they come out, if you can do that.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts
1 hour ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I am not sure still why they chose that flag. That would have made more sense for Roma. 

So I did some quick research, and SPQR makes good sense for the ship named after Caesar. SPQR was first used, as the earliest record known, in 80 BC and lasted till the early 300s AD. Caesar ruled from 49 BC to 44 BC, so he was around for the earliest days of SPQR being the identifying slogan of Rome.

SPQR replaced the inscription ROMA on Roman coins so it actually /wouldn't/ be better on Roma from that perspective. 

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles
1 hour ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I am not sure still why they chose that flag. That would have made more sense for Roma. 

Not really, since Cesare was named for Julius Caesar, while Roma was named for the city, not the republic or empire.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

I bought it, and I like it.

Full disclosure, I also needed the doubloons for my upcoming Missouri purchase.  With the premium time added in, it really paid for the extra cost over the cost of the base ship.  So I decided, "why not get the flag also?"  So I did, and I have it mounted on my Ceasare.  I'll probably mount it on all my Italian ships when they come out, if you can do that.

Yes, you can. I believe all 'commemorative' type flags are infinite use.

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
Members
262 posts
12,747 battles

The only flag I mount is the no longer available Military contribution flag as it gets my points and reduced costs. 

[WOLFB]
Members
3,158 posts
7,381 battles
1 hour ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Not really, since Cesare was named for Julius Caesar, while Roma was named for the city, not the republic or empire.

If you ever go to Rome you will see the SPQR even on the manhole covers. It roughly means the people and the Republic of Rome. Not the people of Caesar. Grantedhe was really the last ruler of the Republic.

Edited by Lonewolfpj

[WOLFB]
Members
3,158 posts
7,381 battles
1 hour ago, TTK_Aegis said:

So I did some quick research, and SPQR makes good sense for the ship named after Caesar. SPQR was first used, as the earliest record known, in 80 BC and lasted till the early 300s AD. Caesar ruled from 49 BC to 44 BC, so he was around for the earliest days of SPQR being the identifying slogan of Rome.

SPQR replaced the inscription ROMA on Roman coins so it actually /wouldn't/ be better on Roma from that perspective. 

SPQR is used be the people of Rome today as a sense of pride in the city. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles
4 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

If you ever go to Rome you will see the SPQR even on the manhole covers. It roughly means the people and the Republic of Rome. Not the people of Caesar. Grantedhe was really the last ruler of the Republic.

SPQR was put on the manhole covers by Mussolini to promote his dictatorship as a new roman empire.

M

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

Yes, I have it.  I fly the flag on both Cesare and my Duca D'Aosta.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,070 battles
10 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Yes, I have it.  I fly the flag on both Cesare and my Duca D'Aosta.

There is already an Italian flag on these ships so I actually fly the military month pennant instead. :cap_haloween:

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts
16 hours ago, Lonewolfpj said:

SPQR is used be the people of Rome today as a sense of pride in the city. 

I'm aware. It's prominently featured on manhole covers oddly enough. We're talking about the ship's namesake when it comes to Caesar though aren't we? I mean sure put SPQR on a flag for Roma too if they want but I think one of the most famous Romans that ruled at the height of SPQR being the motto of Rome is darned good reason too. Better reason personally than "It's currently used by the city". 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles
12 hours ago, SparvieroVV said:

There is already an Italian flag on these ships so I actually fly the military month pennant instead. :cap_haloween:

I'm utterly sick of looking at that flag.  Bonuses or no, I can't do it anymore.

Sign in to follow this