You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

CV Population

38 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,866 battles

Just curious.....has anyone else noticed an uptick in the carrier population of late?  Recently, I've been grinding both the Queen Elizabeth and Charles Martel and have noticed a definite increase in CV's in the matches I've been in over the past month or so.

Now, this isn't a complaint, as I feel CV's help eliminate camping in matches, making them more dynamic.  It's more of an observation to the point that it has started to justify returning to some AA-builds on certain ships as I progress.  QE actually has some surprisingly good mid-range AA for her tier.  And Martel is very solid with defensive fire equipped.

Is anyone else noticing this trend?

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
18,143 battles

Yesterday i noticed CV's in every other match, plus I had three matches in the mid tiers (5-6-7) that had two CV's per side.  I can't say that I noticed it throughout the week, but Saturday and Sunday seemed to show an increase in CV play ( and not quality of play either ).

Members
691 posts
7,037 battles

Personal experience is too small a sample size to really make any definite judgements about this. What I suggest you do is go to warships.today, count up all the CV games in the 1 week segment, the 2 week segment, and the All Time segments, then divide by the corresponding number of days to get an average. Note that the smaller segments are included in the bigger ones, but it'll still give you an idea of the trend. I'd actually be quite interested in your results, so please post them here.

What I've noticed is that the scenario battles always have far more CVs waiting in the queue than any other ship class. There always seemed to be 15 CV players waiting around, which is something I had never seen before. What I also noticed was that there are a huge number of unranked/new players in scenario battles, and most of those CVs waiting in the queue seem to be absolutely terrible.

As for random battles, I haven't really noticed any sort of increase.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,377 posts
4,193 battles

CVs have been up the last month or so, don't know why. Even 9 and 10 matches have one about 2/3 of the time. At least my AA spec MO and IA have uses now. I actually don't mind CVs, glad they're making a comeback.

• Cool 3

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Yeo, mid tiers are full of CVs lately. And this have a good and a bad thing:

The good: more variation and strategies into a battle. 

The bad: half of these CV players dont know what they are doing. Wich is terrible for the team.

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
9,439 battles

I've been playing my CVs more and more exclusively.  Been trying to grind up some captains.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,201 posts
7,500 battles

the Halloween mission saw a huge number of CV's in the queue, perhaps this has led to a increase in lower tier CV populations.

I played the CV in Halloween missions, it was fun but I got my 5 stars in the cruiser. THAT, was fun. So much so I played it a few more times after.

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles

Well I have noticed it as well but small sample size and confirmation bias etc, could mean it is just you and I seeing it.  However the server wide average planes killed has gone up a few ticks.   So it would seem to imply that there has been an increase in the numbers of aircraft in games available to be shot down.   So yes, it looks like CV populations have increased a bit.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,051 battles

Used to rarely see them.  Now see them all the time.  I'm just hoping they don't see me in my Iron Duke, Nikolai, or Giulio Cesare lol

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,793 battles

Mid tier CV population is healthy-ish, the problem is high tier CV pop. 

It doesn't help that WG said "Screw you CVs" and nerfed the crap out of their XP/Credit earning potential a while back. I saw a clan mate's Hak game the other day... 325k damage, 2-3 kills... Less XP than a Des Moines that did 60k with 1 kill, and I think 300k credits with the permanent camo and premium. How is that even fair in WGs mind? 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,746 posts
15,250 battles

I saw 3 T8-T10 carriers in 6 T9 games last night.

Unheard of, but statistically invalid.

I wonder if there were a couple of clans training. In all 3 occasions the carrier was divisioned, and I saw -K- and Salty/Sour divisions.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,866 battles
48 minutes ago, mofton said:

I saw 3 T8-T10 carriers in 6 T9 games last night.

Unheard of, but statistically invalid.

I wonder if there were a couple of clans training. In all 3 occasions the carrier was divisioned, and I saw -K- and Salty/Sour divisions.

Heard those -K- guys are pretty shady..... :Smile_sceptic:

Members
1,475 posts
17,506 battles

It does seem to me that CVs have been on the increase the last couple of months. No real proof other than when I'm equipping a ship in port with Defensive Fire or Fighter Plane upgrades I don't feel as if they are going to go to waste but that they might actually get used. I have been grinding out my Essex at lest once a day lately cause I'd love to have a T10 CV and of course I'll play any of my CVs when I start getting tunnel vision from staring down too many gun sights and I need a change of pace.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,296 battles

Its one of the reasons I always bring DF on ships that can carry it, try to strike me now you @(#*&^#@&*! CV!!!!!

[FLEET]
Members
136 posts
2,608 battles
1 hour ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Mid tier CV population is healthy-ish, the problem is high tier CV pop. 

It doesn't help that WG said "Screw you CVs" and nerfed the crap out of their XP/Credit earning potential a while back. I saw a clan mate's Hak game the other day... 325k damage, 2-3 kills... Less XP than a Des Moines that did 60k with 1 kill, and I think 300k credits with the permanent camo and premium. How is that even fair in WGs mind? 

well, objectively the CV has a much larger ability to do damage since it does not need to be nearby and can pretty much pick it's targets without worrying about some BB deleting it in 1 salvo. Unless the CV has some nerf by comparison to a DM the Des Moines is pretty pointless and CVs are the only relevant class due to their high damage potential. Which is pretty realistic, though realism isn't going to be all good to CVs, a historically accurate Des Moines would be an AA buzzsaw that would make the minotaur look downright pitiful.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,932 battles

I've noticed it too. I feel All the hardcore CV guys that quit when the nerfs happened are being replaced slowly by the guys that never learn how to strafe. Its good to see the population is rising, It'll help shut up the "Remove CVs" crowds.

• Cool 1

[NGA]
Members
2,007 posts
12,270 battles

I stopped playing CVs around the time that Enterprise was released since my computer is kind of bad and I had ground out both lines.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
3 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

returning to some AA-builds on certain ships

Shh!  As a CV player, I don't want this idea to get publicized .... @fake news (lol)

[PVE]
Members
1,713 posts
8,061 battles

As a co-op main player, there are always CV players in 'Q', sometimes 1 or 2, however....this past weekend was ridiculous (and weekends always seem to bring out CV players), at times there were as many as 18 at a time in 'Q', I've never seen that before, so yes to answer your question, it does seem as though there are more CV players than usual.

Members
2,855 posts
9,162 battles

I've noticed it in Tier 7 and 8. Maybe that's just me though. Like one guy said earlier also seems about half of them don't really know how to play them.

Members
2,709 posts
17,046 battles

Yes, I have noticed this as well.

Sucks, too, cause I've gone away from AA builds on most of my T10s for CB purposes.