You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

What happened to the close games?

145 comments in this topic

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

The last few weeks games have either been a roll for..  or a roll against.  I can't think of one that wasn't decided in the first 5 minutes.  Anyone else?

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,949 posts
26,483 battles
12 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

The last few weeks games have either been a roll for..  or a roll against.  I can't think of one that wasn't decided in the first 5 minutes.  Anyone else?

(Think I just saw you in a game...)

I don't consider myself to be that great a player; but when I get off my tushy and venture into higher tiers, have what is a self admitted sucky game, yet still score inexplicably high on the team page? It make me wonder...

Roll-stomps don't surprise me any more... Hack me off, yes, but all I do now is just shake my head in dismay at what sometimes appears to be the total absence of any sense of tactics, never mind basic coordination.

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

(Think I just saw you in a game...)

I don't consider myself to be that great a player; but when I get off my tushy and venture into higher tiers, have what is a self admitted sucky game, yet still score inexplicably high on the team page? It make me wonder...

Roll-stomps don't surprise me any more... Hack me off, yes, but all I do now is just shake my head in dismay at what sometimes appears to be the total absence of any sense of tactics, never mind basic coordination.

Yep..  saw you last game.  Your team rolled. 

[ANZAC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
393 posts
11,568 battles

I hear that.  I do hate complete team collapses, whether its from the word go and happens 4 minutes in or is a sudden melting of ships in a string of deaths leaving you defenseless as the chance of recovery slips with every tick of the point counter while you can't quickly snatch a kill.

:cap_old:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

We had another thread in which we explored this issue in some detail. Essentially it all boils down to a system being on the cusp of collapse for some time but appearing stable because of its inherent buffer systems. When enough instability has built up a relatively small event can cause a system-wide collapse, even if said event might have been inconsequential had it occurred at a different point in the timeline. I saw this happen frequently with shock in trauma patients.

Speaking of "rolls," I just couldn't resist:

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
3,607 posts
34,798 battles

To many unbalanced teams now.

I capped B and A had to follow that fail train that headed for the A cap right from the start except me and they never left A.

fail2.png

fail.png

Edited by Final8ty

Members
12 posts
375 battles

If you think it's bad now wait until November 15th when WoWs releases on steam.

Being a massive potato myself I tend to stick to coop just so I'm not "that guy" who causes his

team to be a ship down 1-2mins. into a match. I do play a couple randoms a day just to try and get better

but usually the vitriol  in chat causes me to go back to coop quickly.

-deicideusa

• Cool 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Yep, lately most of the games are decided in 5 min when half of one team dies. 

These are frustrating games, either your team dies so fast and there is nothing you can to win a battle or the enemy team dies so fast and there is no chalange or fun in killing yolo potatoes. 

This might even worse after the gema gets into steam. Its sad...

Edited by Xlap

[TMS]
Members
3,607 posts
34,798 battles

AND Again and i love it when they are all nice and tight together, i cant miss.

ball.png

nice.png

[TMS]
Members
3,607 posts
34,798 battles

What i have noticed is that the BBs are the first to run, even though they were the furthest away from the fight in the first place.

[4HIM]
Members
3,238 posts
13,922 battles

Seems like game after game I find I'm being focused by 4 ships.  Look at the top of the screen and see my team only has 3 players left while the reds have only lost 2 or 3.  And the other 2 friendlies are hiding at the edge of the map.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,511 battles
3 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

That be something called Window Lickers

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
3,607 posts
34,798 battles

8 mins in and its over, I spawned and ran straight to there cap through the middle and the rest of my team followed me.

more.png.a96d3a97a69d27f6ea73be77b8d11849.png

LOL.png

Edited by Final8ty

Beta Testers
1,662 posts
10,837 battles

I had a ton of close battles on the week-end, 3 memorable fights in my Khab alone.   What made it odd was how similar they were - incredible comebacks where capping was key.   One game had us down by 4 ships, 3 capped, with the counter at 900-380.  I started capping, the heavies started killing reds just fast enough to keep them at around 900 points for 4 or 5 minutes while we 3-capped, and won by about 100 points just as the timer ran out.

The question is - what are your standards for a close game?  The benchmarks?  Close on points/counter?  Ship kills?  I mean, a match can be incredibly close for 15 minutes, and then become a blow-out all at once, and turn into 5 minutes of hide and seek.

• Cool 2

[TMS]
Members
3,607 posts
34,798 battles

Just had a 7 min game and another streamroll from my side, not a single ship lost on our side 

[WOLFG]
Members
30,777 posts
9,354 battles
1 hour ago, Final8ty said:

What i have noticed is that the BBs are the first to run, even though they were the furthest away from the fight in the first place.

Just a matter of misjudged timing. If they misjudge it the other way, they get hung out to dry when the other ships run.

[BS]
[BS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
6,525 battles

If you keep using Matchmaking Monitor to predict your game's outcome, you're going to have a bad time. I find that that mod is only useful for CV vs CV play, and really not even then. I couldn't count the number of games that I (and my team) have won, with a 30% team-winrate average versus a 50% average. As the saying goes, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall."

Rolls happen when one team works together better than the team they're opposing. I've seen some damn good players/teams get rolled on too. Sometimes, it's just the luck of the draw.

Face it, guys. We are forever stuck with WarGaming's Match Maker. It's essentially the same thing in every other WarGaming Game. It has been complained about since Tanks (beta), and will be until the end of time.

[CASUL]
Members
256 posts
3,751 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Mexib said:

80% blowouts, 20% competitive games. 

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing. But I think it has a to do with long time potatoes finally getting enough XP and silver to buy into the higher tiers.

I find it hard to believe at Tier 8 I'd have all 4 DDs on my team charge into a single cap if they knew what they were doing. (In that game, two died to team torps and the other two died shortly after)

Unfortunately, RNGesus determines whether or not you're steam rolled or are the steam roller. It doesn't matter how good you are if half your team dies in the first five minutes of the game. :P

[WOLF2]
Members
1,653 posts
11,708 battles

Just finished one.   Playing North, and they stuck my Nagato at the Eastern end, right by Cap D (which BBs are never to take).    Took me a bit to get into big fights at C and B.    

It was a pretty good match - no steamrolling, and player sinkings came slowly (for both sides).    We finally got in a five v three situation, and we had three of the four caps, with the reds scrambling for cover.   I threw out a GG in team chat, and a GG in open chat.

Immediately got salt from someone who was apparently expecting a steamroll.   For him, it was either steamroll or be steamrolled.   An actual tactical battle was "poor play"

We knocked out two of the three remaining players.  It was a refreshing win.... except for captain salty.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Mexib said:

80% blowouts, 20% competitive games. 

The entire weekend and yesterday went exactly like this.  Virtually every single match played.

There were maybe two or three close matches that I can vaguely recall, but the rest were laugh-out-loud stompfests, win or lose.