You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Yavuz

Anybody has a favorite ship that isn't that popular with the masses?

29 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,165 posts
5,813 battles

I thought this would be a fun thread to do since there are a myriad of ships that fought during the First and Second World Wars.  This isn't a thread for the Bismarcks, Yamatos, and Iowas of the world - this is a thread for the not-as-well-known ships.

For me, I have a fondness for the Revenge-class battleships.  While they were inferior to the Queen Elizabeth-class battleship in many ways, I found their overall look to be nicer - reminiscent of the old-style dreadnought of the First World War.  They didn't fight as much (mostly because of their slowness and lack of armor), but they did help the war effort in terms of supplying battleship-caliber armament to the convoys.

06e7f9c39fbd38e9d683639a54d9f30f.jpg

So...what obscure, unusual ship do you like?

EDIT: Oh! I should've specified that I meant "ship in history" and not "in-game ship." In regards to "in-game ship" though, I kinda enjoy the Arizona. She's not a very quirky premium, but she can get the job done very well. I enjoy the slow, punchy feeling of a standard USN battleship.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,020 battles

In game, Aoba.

IRL, USCGC Taney.

Mf1yE1y.jpg

A ship that survived Pearl Harbor, and served with distinction throughout the war.

• Cool 1

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
791 posts
7,620 battles

in game: Montana

irl: RAMP 224 - USS Stewart - i find her story intreaging, though sad and unlucky (for both sides of the war)

USS_Stewart_(DD-224).jpg

[SPTR]
Members
27,186 posts
16,907 battles

IRL: the French Mogador class Super destroyers, because its fast, has big guns and looks good I mean look at the image of it below!9amDx4N.png

Its looks like it can lay waste on even some interwar CLs 

• Cool 2

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,581 posts
4,750 battles

There's nothing quite like the Agincourt.  Turrets named for the days of the week, horribly vulnerable, and just a mass of conflicting design issues.

HMS_Agincourt_1915.jpg

A mongrel ship that found was built almost by accident, and found its home that way after Brazil cancelled their order and the Ottoman's were denied possession.

Members
4,203 posts
8,877 battles

USS Olympia (C-6) she is the oldest steel US warship still afloat launched: 5/November/1892, I visited her once while I was picking up my 1st ship at the old Sun Ship yard, in Philadelphia.

In game ---- the much hated Myogi, I really enjoyed the ship after I got it upgraded and plan to buy her back soon.

USS_Olympia;c0605.jpg

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
18,538 battles

In game, I have a fondness for the Ognevoi, a ship many find unpleasant to play.

In life, I am attached to the USS Durant, a ship my uncle served aboard proudly, and the primary reason for my being a DD main.

Respects,

Am

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

In game, the Prinz Eugen.

IRL, I'd take Z-39. Such a beautiful ship...

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

In game, the Hipper.

IRL, the HMCS Alberni, one of the many Flower class Corvettes which never got the extended fos'cle, which was sunk & which an uncle (he survived) served on in WW2.

Members
72 posts
6,680 battles

In game, the graf spee I know many have a dislike for the accuracy of her guns but I've always found myself to be fairly lucky with her.

IRL: USS silversides, a fine sub and the only museum warship I've gotten to be on. she's the closest one to me as well so it's less than a day's drive away, I even got to spend a night aboard thanks to a scout trip when I was younger.

59f8318a3579e_download(4).jpg.509613173f88332239909c21e984cdbf.jpg 220px-USS_Silversides_winter_-_Muskegon_Michigan.jpg.da88b85840fef3efda7af80c648e6be4.jpg 

She takes to a snow blanket quite well I must say.

Members
4,354 posts
4,615 battles

In game: Campbeltown

In life: Probably the USS California. Then again, I never knew how popular it really is. I just hear people mention the Helena, Nevada, Missouri and Arizona a lot more than everything else.

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

In game?

d'Aosta doesn't seem to be very popular with the masses, and I get along great with her. Pensacola and Aoba are the same, it depends on the mood I'm in as to who I wanna drive the most!

In life; Gorizia. The longest-lived of the Italian heavy cruisers, she saw more action during the war than any other major warship of the Regia Marina, and in fact most of the world as well. She missed only a single one of the RM's major battles, and dodged an absolutely insane amount of torpedoes at absurd ranges over her lifetime. She proved to be incredibly tough, sailing into action already damaged in some cases, and surviving blows that would've destroyed almost any other cruiser in the same situation. Her career, unfortunately, is generally overshadowed by the fate of her siblings.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,091 posts
6,118 battles

In real life, I'm a big fan of RMS Olympic.  Largest ocean liner ever built, and would become the largest ocean liner multiple times due to tragic reasons.  Managed to sink a U-Boat trying to torpedo her by slicing the pressure hull with her giant propeller.  Shame they couldn't save this ship and turn it into a hotel or something.  Would have saved James Cameron a lot of money if they did.  I kinda wish a series would be made of this ship, but of course, it's not going to happen because no one wants to make a film about a ship that didn't sink and doesn't have a Celine Dion song attached to it.

4f1f0099f8d37d34de1660a302f2df62--titani

As for ships that could be in the game, I have to go with the Aerial Battleship configuration of the Ise-Class.  It's just such a distinct appearance, the combination of two separate ship types combined into one. 

FLyAD3Y.jpg

Edited by Sventex

Members
293 posts
742 battles

If it most be a ship that saw action during the war then it's the "four stakers" from the Caldwell, Wickes and Clemson classes, they are beautiful ships and even if they were obsolete almost from their introduction they still provided invaluable  service in the atlantic and the pacific. 

As for other ships from that era the Almirante Latorre from the Chilean navy is really nice as well 

USS_John_D._Ford_(DD-228).jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Members
4,302 posts

ships that were never built, or were, but were pure folly. My current fav is of course, the most unpopular ship WG ever dared to release. The inimitable Graf Zeppelin, that some are still so angry and furious about, they pretend I am not there when playing random battles (or ranked.):Smile_child:

[GLORY]
Members
345 posts
2,894 battles
On 10/31/2017 at 12:41 AM, Doomlock said:

In game, Aoba.

IRL, USCGC Taney.

Mf1yE1y.jpg

A ship that survived Pearl Harbor, and served with distinction throughout the war.

I visit that all the time. A wonderful ship. One of my favorite ships IRL as well. :cap_like:

My actual favorite IRL ship though? Oh, without a doubt the USS New Jersey. Most decorated US Battleship in history, served from the late 40s to the late 90s. A wonder to behold, especially after you spend a night on her.

1200px-New_Jersey_Sails.jpg

In game? 

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I WOULD say the V-170, but that ship is pretty popular. 

Maybe the ARP Haguro. Good guns, nice torps, and a BEAST in tier 6 matches. 

Edited by Snipereagle23