You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
XpliCT_

Detonations

109 comments in this topic

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles

Just detonated in back to back games.  First game ever taking out my freddy followed by a Yamato game.  

fun-and-engaging.jpg

• Cool 4

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,589 battles

I feel your pain.
But it must have been a hell of a rush for whoever detonated you.

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

Komrad,

You have been fun and engaged.

To deny it is to deny the motherland.

To the gulag with this heretic.

Edited by twitch133
  • Cool 5

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,412 posts
15,563 battles

Yay flags!

Juliet Charlie = Just Combusted!

[NSEW]
Members
2,098 posts
11,313 battles

I think I may have been in that game? I was the second one to the three. Maybe another game perhaps...

[VIP]
Members
109 posts
22,065 battles

This has become obscenely common. At tier IX - X (9-10) it gets really expensive to run these ships. When a single torp or shell Detonates a GK, Yamato etc, it's absurd. When it happens 2 games in a row, it's ridiculous. Now, I know there are a bunch of internet tough guys and keyboard commandos on here that say things like: "well, you should run flags!!", You should run vigilance and NOT get torped, Seriously??? What if I don't have any damn flags, what if this Detonation algorithm is broken? This is beyond adapt and get used to it B.S., this is not functioning correctly. And most people have invested MONEY in this game, Premium time, ships, flags etc. Don't come at this like it's too bad for you buddy, then WG will LOSE a lot of PAYING customers, that punch to their wallet is what they care about most. Anyone that believes differently....well, that would be naive.

Note: No one here plays an absolutely "perfect" game every time they play. So don't act like it. I have never seen a 100% WR.

Edited by Maverick_LHA5
  • Cool 3

[-KIA-]
Members
5,193 posts
13,730 battles
1 hour ago, twitch133 said:

Komrad,

You have been fun and engaged.

To deny it is to deny the motherland.

To the gulag with this heretic.

kJxAGAv.png?1

• Cool 1

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles
7 hours ago, Maverick_LHA5 said:

This has become obscenely common. At tier IX - X (9-10) it gets really expensive to run these ships. When a single torp or shell Detonates a GK, Yamato etc, it's absurd. When it happens 2 games in a row, it's ridiculous. Now, I know there are a bunch of internet tough guys and keyboard commandos on here that say things like: "well, you should run flags!!", You should run vigilance and NOT get torped, Seriously??? What if I don't have any damn flags, what if this Detonation algorithm is broken? This is beyond adapt and get used to it B.S., this is not functioning correctly. And most people have invested MONEY in this game, Premium time, ships, flags etc. Don't come at this like it's too bad for you buddy, then WG will LOSE a lot of PAYING customers, that punch to their wallet is what they care about most. Anyone that believes differently....well, that would be naive.

Note: No one one here plays an absolutely "perfect" game every time they play. So don't act like it. I have never seen a 100% WR.

I have stopped spending any money on this game. Entirely over those mechanic.

• Cool 2

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,202 posts
7,500 battles

People arent allowed to complain about det's this week, its complain about carriers week (4 threads in 30 hours).

Next week is complain about detonations week.

• Cool 4

Members
11,026 posts
30,428 battles
9 hours ago, Jumarka said:

I feel your pain.
But it must have been a hell of a rush for whoever detonated you.

No, it's incredibly boring.

Instead of a long fight, or a perfect salvo, you know, things that would actually be awesome, you just score a kill from a random shot.

• Cool 1

[LTNY]
[LTNY]
Members
369 posts
5,589 battles
2 hours ago, issm said:

Instead of a long fight, or a perfect salvo, you know, things that would actually be awesome, you just score a kill from a random shot.

Its not a random shot, somebody shot at him.

The perfect salvo is so dependent of the random number generator, that for me is on the same level as a detonation.

We need detonations to give more than flags for the victim (maybe a combo of flag and/or a special camo).

And  they need to have a lot more visual flare. A battleship detonation should send a shock wave across the map, big pieces of the ship flying around. The player reaction should be on the line of "woooww, cool, i wanna see that again!".

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
2 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

7hkj3Y9.jpg

I wouldn't have been here had it not been back to back games.  But it was.  

sad_frog.jpg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,697 battles
12 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I wouldn't have been here had it not been back to back games.  But it was.  

sad_frog.jpg

1829ee.jpg

• Cool 1

[NCBL]
Members
127 posts
4,997 battles
6 hours ago, issm said:

I've missed salvos, don't even register a hit and detonated enemy ships...screams "fun"

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,791 battles
17 hours ago, Maverick_LHA5 said:

This has become obscenely common. At tier IX - X (9-10) it gets really expensive to run these ships. When a single torp or shell Detonates a GK, Yamato etc, it's absurd.

However, there are patterns to this, as I myself through experience, as well as @LittleWhiteMouse through her testing, have found. 

EDTI: I wasn't entirely correct. See Mouse's description.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
5 hours ago, Jumarka said:

And  they need to have a lot more visual flare. A battleship detonation should send a shock wave across the map, big pieces of the ship flying around.

A ship detonation almost looks like a small nuclear explosion.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,277 posts
10,382 battles
1 hour ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

<snip>

I have been summoned.  That's not quite how HE mechanics work.

Torpedoes, HE Shells and HE Bombs do not physically penetrate the vessels we play -- that's not how its modeled, anyway, though the effect is similar enough.  When these attacks strike the ship, they "detonate" on the first surface they make contact with.  This attack isn't an AOE effect (that comes later) and it's directed at a single, laser-accurate point on the ship where it makes contact.  The penetration value of the HE attack is compared to the armour value it strikes.  If the penetration value exceeds (not equals) the armour in question, then the HE damage is applied to that respective compartment of the ship (bow/stern/hull/superstructure/citadel) and hit points are reduced.  This can be foiled by things like external modules, torpedo bulges or armour voids which will result in zero damage "penetrations" from HE.

After this is calculated, a secondary effect is applied.  This is where the shell applies module damage to the vessel.  From the point of impact, the blast radius of the shell is calculated.  According to Sub_Octavian, this is a sphere (though I'm still suspecting it's a cube).  This blast radius has it's own penetration and damage value separate from shell penetration and shell damage.  This penetration and damage does not diminish over range.  All modules within this blast radius may be affected.  The amount of damage done is subject to RNG -- the base value of the module damage an attack does can vary +/- a fixed percentage which I'm not allowed to tell you (it is significant though).  The penetration is fixed. 

Module armour and an internal splash-defense coefficient baked into certain modules on select ships affects the amount of damage a module takes from this splash.  If the attack damage is reduced to zero or the splash penetration isn't sufficient then the module takes no damage.  For example, there are no HE shells in the game -- not even Yamato's 460mm or Conqueror's 457mm HE shells that have enough splash penetration / damage to affect the magazines of another Battleship.  Believe me, I tried.  I spent forever hammering South Carolina, Nassau, Kawachi and Bellerophon with HE and none of them popped.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,791 battles
6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

For example, there are no HE shells in the game -- not even Yamato's 460mm or Conqueror's 457mm HE shells that have enough splash penetration / damage to affect the magazines of another Battleship.  Believe me, I tried.  I spent forever hammering South Carolina, Nassau, Kawachi and Bellerophon with HE and none of them popped.

So...what happened when I detonated a full-health Wyoming with South Carolina HE? A mishap?

[WG-CC]
12,277 posts
10,382 battles
1 minute ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

So...what happened when I detonated a full-health Wyoming with South Carolina? A mishap?

When did it happen and I can tell you.

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,791 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

When did it happen and I can tell you.

A long time ago. SC was my first BB, so... Spring 2015... I think.

[WG-CC]
12,277 posts
10,382 battles
Just now, Carrier_Lexington said:

A long time ago. SC was my first BB, so... Spring 2015.

Around the Spring of 2016 this was patched and fixed.  It used to be that anytime a Main Battery armament took damage, there was a chance for a "flashback" into the magazine -- meaning the magazine would take damage too.  I do not have the number for how often this occurred or how much damage was done to the Magazine, but the end result was that it triggered a detonation-chance roll.  This is where we see that silly Soviet DD detonating a Yamato with an HE salvo.  This is part of the reason the old module, Main Armaments Modification 1 used to include detonation protection.  This has been since removed from the game.

Bm3O90E.gif

There is one (1) unintended way that you can cause detonations with HE shells, but the devs threatened to take my toys away and ban me to a very dark place if I told how it's done.  It's a 1 in a million (and I'm exaggerating in the wrong direction) chance and a known bug, but statistically irrelevant.  I keep my eye out for instances of it and I've only seen a single example ever.

• Cool 3