You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DeliciousFart

Just give the Colorado the proper HP for her displacement already

102 comments in this topic

Members
1,296 posts
883 battles

I figured maybe a clickbait thread title can get more attention.

But seriously, there's absolutely no reason to keep the HP of the Colorado as low as it currently is. There are simply not enough redeeming qualities about her compared to other tier 7 battleships. She's super slow, has the same sigma as Nagato, doesn't even have the best AA anymore (thanks to Gneisenau). And furthermore, it doesn't even make sense from a displacement-to-HP formula perspective. Generally, battleship HP is calculated using the following formula.

HP = 1.1812*x + 10,837 where x is the full load displacement in long tons (or imperial tons).

According to Friedman, the Colorado as of April 24, 1944 has a full load displacement of 40,396.5 long tons, which according to the standard formula for battleship HP, should translate to a health pool of 58,553 HP, which would be about the same as the Gneisenau.

But Mr. Fart, what about the Colorado's super heal?

Yeah, what about it? The Colorado's heal recovers 0.65% of HP per second instead of the battleship standard of 0.5% HP per second, but guess what, that hardly matters when the Colorado's current HP of 50,100 is already so damn low. So as a result, a single heal from Colorado recovers 9,118 HP, while the Nagato recovers 9,100 HP per heal. OMG so super.

So @Sub_Octavian, pretty please with a cherry on top, can you take a look at this?

EDIT: Since fire damage is a percentage of HP, the Colorado is somewhat more survivable in this respect. Still not nearly enough to offset its many shortcomings.

EDIT2: Fun fact: if the Colorado gets its proper health, and has a regular BB heal, it would still have a greater HP pool than it does currently. Not even flags and Superintendent change that.

- Current Colorado: 50,100 + 4*9,118 = 86,573

- Colorado with proper health and regular heal: 58,553 + 4*8,197 = 91,343

Let's stack Superintendent and flags with that.

- Current Colorado: 50,100 + 5*10,941 = 104,809

- Colorado with proper health and regular heal: 58,553 + 5*9,837 = 107,738

Edited by DeliciousFart
  • Cool 32

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,125 posts
5,652 battles

Agreed.

Remember that fire damage is percentile as well, so Colorado takes less fire dame per second than does Nagato, meaning her heal repairs a larger percentage of the damage done by fire,

Members
1,296 posts
883 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

Agreed.

Remember that fire damage is percentile as well, so Colorado takes less fire dame per second than does Nagato, meaning her heal repairs a larger percentage of the damage done by fire,

Noted, but that one benefit is not nearly enough to justify the lower health.

• Cool 3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,125 posts
5,652 battles
Just now, DeliciousFart said:

Noted, but that one benefit is not nearly enough to justify the lower health.

That is why I agreed that her health pool should be normalized without sacrificing the better heal.

I was just pointing out that the heal was not as uselessly “better” as you portrayed it in the OP.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,280 posts
12,151 battles
36 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

But Mr. Fart

im giving you an upvote, for these 3 words alone, because it made me lol

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

To put it in perspective she had less HP then some T5's.

Given all her other drawbacks she could use a boost in terms of HP

Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

I will upvote this.  The one reason I spit on the Colorado and will never, ever revisit it again unless something changes is the outrageously low HP, followed closely by the speed (which I understand nothing can be done for). 

[WOLF4]
Members
178 posts
3,545 battles

Maybe give her the most HP so she actually has a special trait and give her normal heal. So you would have Japanese: Big gun , sniping.

German: Fast, Brawler, Air Killer.

British: annoying flame thrower

American: tank.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,468 posts
8,178 battles
40 minutes ago, JochenHeiden said:

followed closely by the speed (which I understand nothing can be done for). 

She could get one of the speed boosts several of the early German BBs are blessed with.

Beta Testers
62 posts
3,771 battles

While I'm personally more in favor of giving Colorado a hull upgrade to Maryland's configuration, this would at least be a good buff and put Colorado on par with her contemporaries. Agreed.

[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,467 battles

The "super" heal is a joke. As OP points out, the increased percentage gain only equalizes the real health gained per charge due to Colorado's lower base health. It's nothing like Conq/Lion where it replaces half the hull.

You have my torpedo tubes.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Colorado problems are much bigger than her small HP pool. Her super slow speed and meh shell arcs are much worse IMO. 

The guns are good, but you need to get close to best use them, but how to get closer with that terrible 21 kts... 

Members
3,067 posts
2,545 battles
10 hours ago, DeliciousFart said:

According to Friedman, the Colorado as of April 24, 1944 has a full load displacement of 40,396.5 long tons,

What ship and year does the Colorado's final hull in the game represent?

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,303 posts
9,284 battles
2 hours ago, Hurlbut said:

What ship and year does the Colorado's final hull in the game represent?

Colorados final hull ingame closely mirrors her loadout at the end of the war, as reported in 1946.

RE Colorados HP, this has been one that we've been trying to get solved since CBT. I don't think we've ever even gotten so much as a peep out of the developers, despite dozens of thread and PMs to devs that frequent the forum.

Best chance for this may be a concerted effort to keep the thread on the front page for as long as possible, but I don't know if most people care enough to keep it bumped for very long.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,697 battles

Forget just the displacement. Since Gniesneau has come in, the completely lame excuse of no dual 127/38 secondaries on BBs below tier 8 is crap. Time to allow for either Maryland or WV the final hull.

No more excuses.

• Cool 2

[EGI]
[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,235 posts
25,533 battles

Colo's Hp has always felt like an unjust burden, with the addition of the UK and GER BB lines her handicaps, of low hp and WW1 BB speed, now appear atrocious.  

AGREED! 

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

Colorado is one of those boats you want to like but just can't.  It has nothing going for it at all.  Big, slow, soft, random guns even for a battleship, and a marginal health pool for a Tier VII BB.

I'd bet if the Colorado was Lend-Leased to the Soviets the devs would have made it OPaF.  It would surely get its late-war configuration including the twin 5-inch guns.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
6,065 posts
6,020 battles

Yeah it's time to bring in the dual 5 inch guns to the US BB line. 

[NSF]
5,303 posts
9,284 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Yeah it's time to bring in the dual 5 inch guns to the US BB line. 

Theyll probably just nerf the rate of fire by half again.