You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

How to make manual fire control for secondaries work ?

22 comments in this topic

Ericson38    12

I have that captain skill for German BB (Halloween) but can't get the little A in the circle to turn on when selecting the target. Range is 5.8 km.

Control key and then select is all I heard is needed to make it work.

Edited by Ericson38

megadeux    75

you need to click the enemy ship, not the HP or name tag, you may have to try a couple of times.

Ericson38    12

I tried that too. When I select a ship normally I get a white circle, but for manual fire secondaries, it has a little A in the center, correct ? Needs to be easy, as these battles are brutal up close (sunray in the darkness).

Edited by Ericson38

Speedstang    91
18 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I tried that too. When I select a ship normally I get a white circle, but for manual fire secondaries, it has a little A in the center, correct ? Needs to be easy, as these battles are brutal up close (sunray in the darkness).

Are your secondary guns actually turned on? If they're off there's a yellow icon at the bottom by your shells, they are turned off. Press P to turn them back on. Otherwise, ctrl + click sets the secondary target. If that's not working and the secondaries are on something may be bugged, only thing I can think of....

Edited by Speedstang

Ericson38    12

Its a T8 Magnu-S, based on Bismark I think. You are referring to AA guns, I'm asking about manual control of secondaries (ie 5 inchers in US).

Without manual sec control, I have had one battle with it with over 1200 secondary hits (Halloween). I can't make it work in manual mode though. These are 19 pt captains, plenty of skills to go around.

Edited by Ericson38

vonKaiser    628

It should be Control to get the mouse icon on your screen, then click on the hull of the enemy ship.  This will give you a little white indicator over the top of their health bar to signify that the secondaries are locked onto that target and the guns will start firing.  The indicator is similar to the one that appears when you manually select an incoming airplane squadron, but you can still designate one aircraft squadron, and one surface squadron using the same method.  One just prioritizes the AA guns at the air target, while the other prioritizes the secondary armament on the enemy ship in question. 

The secondaries do have their own angles so if you're bow or stern on you might only get a few firing until you angle at them.  Make sure you don't have the secondaries turned off.  Down by shell slot 1 on your hud (where the AP and HE shell indicator is) if you have a small yellow icon visible that means your secondary battery is on stand down and they will not fire.  You press P on the keyboard to turn this on and off.  There is an option in the menu screen that will automatically turn your guns on if they are off when you select a manual target. 

Regardless of if the guns are on or off, once you select the manual control those guns ONLY fire when you have a target selected.  If you have Manual fire control and don't select a target your guns will remain silent until you select a enemy ship to fire on.  If you don't have manual fire control on the captain they'll fire at whatever comes within range. 

If this isn't working for you for some reason however, I'm not sure, best bet would be to take a screenshot while you're in game and upload it here to give a better idea.  (Press print screen on your keyboard while in game, navigate to your World of Warships folder, and open a folder called "Screenshots" upload that to a post or upload it to a free image hosting site like imgur, then copy and paste the image link into a message and it should auto embed and display) Also, just because it throws me off sometimes, remember the secondary guns have a traverse as well, so once you select a target and it comes in range, there might be a small delay before clicking and then when they fire.  If you're selecting multiple targets quickly they do take a little time before they traverse and get on target much like your main turrets. 

Also, just as a last resort, you're sure the target you're selecting is within range right?  If you control click the little gear icon above the mini map on the upper right corner of your minimap display it'll allow you to display rings around your ship.  AA Firing range, Secondary firing range, Hydroacoustic range, radar range, etc. 

Hope this could help at least a little. 

Cpt_Cupcake    49
15 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Its a T8 Magnu-S, based on Bismark I think. You are referring to AA guns, I'm asking about manual control of secondaries (ie 5 inchers in US).

Without manual sec control, I have had one battle with it with over 1200 secondary hits (Halloween). I can't make it work in manual mode though. These are 19 pt captains, plenty of skills to go around.

The "P" button controls both your AA and secondaries

Ericson38    12

I wish there was a way to take that ship/captain combo on a training mission, so I could refine my skills and knowledge of how it works. What I did for the Halloween matches is select BFT and AFT, and the module selected for the T8 BB is secondary battery MOD 2. I have had up over 1000 hits on secondary batteries (all in auto mode).

EAnybody    89

Just right click on the target, the same way you do when selecting a priority target for planes (or even if you don't have MFCAA or MFCSA).

Ericson38    12

Tried it with the T8 Halloween cruiser, got the free lock indication when I locked on a ship and then right clicked it, along with a zoom out. Oh Boy !

Still got a win with 4 stars, and 411K damage. No joy on this 19 pt captain with manual fire control.

I've had trouble getting this to work too, but I note that some respondents are saying "left click" and some are saying "right click".  I think where I'm messing up is "click on the hull" not the name or bar.

Zyu    182
On 11/2/2017 at 9:18 AM, Crimsonsplat said:

I've had trouble getting this to work too, but I note that some respondents are saying "left click" and some are saying "right click".  I think where I'm messing up is "click on the hull" not the name or bar.

**NOTE** I was wrong about the RMB + CTRL - It's not letting me perform those commands simultaneously. I swore I was able to do that!!

It's the CTRL key + Left click for sure. Unless you've remapped keys - CTRL+ LMB. RMB would be for Free-Look to target a ship without moving your turrets.

Example - a DD pops up 6 km away Starboard and Aft but your turrets are pointing Port at a BB you're engaged with: Simply CTRL to get cursor + RMB for free-look + LMB Hull of DD. Now secondaries are firing at DD while you're either engaged elsewhere or begin evasive maneuvers.

Hull vs OTM(Over Target Marker - ie all the data above ship: Name/HP/Ship Type etc):

The reason they're "suggesting" you click the Hull of the ship you intend to focus secondary armaments on is simple - If there's multiple ships and you try to click on the OTM, you can easily target a vessel that's either not your intended target/priority or well out of range of secondaries altogether. Think of the Hull as a no-fail solid object vs OTM as something translucent and easily missed when the blob of names are stacked.

Training yourself to click the Hull is a good habit to get into and solid advice. The OTMs are just too easy to misclick. If ships are REALLY close together(like mating close..) then simply CTRL + Zoom + LMB Hull to select whichever ship you wish to target.

Edited by Zyu
incorrect info.

Ericson38    12

I appreciate this information. Still can't make it work in Halloween Battles. If I point the secondaries (control plus LMB) at anything (including the water surface) within gun range, will they work, or only on a ship hull ?

Edited by Ericson38

EAnybody    89

the only thing I can think of is that I run with the Alternative Interface set to "Full" in Settings->Controls.  That's whats lets me Right Mouse Button on the ship name to set the MFC for a target.

SquidChum    0

I still can't get the secondaries to work on my brand new Kurfurst.  It is driving me nuts. I Control and left click, I control and right click. I try both combos again and again and again and again and then I die without firing a shot.  Try another game, same thing. For the last 5 games!  I have Manual Fire Control for Secondary Battery but what good is it?   I am on target on the ship.  My main guns are targeting it but the Kurfurst just ignores the control button.   Is it a bug or am I screwing something up? My 18 Admiral is getting pissed about it.  

Edited by SquidChum
Typos

Lord_Slayer    87

Question: Are you clicking them only once to highlight the ship?

Because the way I am reading this, you are clicking on them expecting the secondaries to fire as you click.

Silver_kun    85

Hold control and while doing that click the ship you want to target with your left mouse button and then leave control. A grey cursor should appear when holding control.

bottomlands    0

i got all excited until i realized the procedure only prioritizes the clicked target and the secondaries are not actually under manual control.  this is a feature i miss very much from a certain other sea game which appears to be dying.