You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
annelid

Greetings & Salutations from a new player.

26 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles

I somewhat recently got into the WoW game. I enjoy it. That being said I'm not a hardcore WoW gamer (or gamer in general.)  I did notice that the last update really screwed up my ping. I mean when i 1st installed the game (and then I believe there were 2 updates) everything was copasetic. However the last update (from a few days ago I believe) made the ping  go high and the frame rates go low. Nothing changed on my end pc wise (ie...same setup....connected via cat 6e to a Asus router with the latest firmware. Hdd is de-fragmented.)   Like i said I enjoy the game immensely but since the "patch" it's killing the game for me. I mean.....with the horrible pings leading a shot is difficult PLUS sometimes the frame rate will go so low that the game stops for a second (like someone pushed pause) and then it resumes. 

I was remiss in not saying hello to everyone..so..Hello. :D

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
631 posts
6,030 battles

Welcome to WoWS

This community is one of the friendliest I've ever been a part of and they are more than willing to help you learn the game and how to avoid common mistakes to make you a better player.

If you ever have a question about the game, don't hesitate to ask in the forums, as someone will usually know the answer!

Again welcome to the WoWS community

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,040 battles

Hello and welcome to the forums! 

Ask us if you need assistance! We'll be glad to render it.

Fair winds and following season captain!:Smile_honoring:

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles

Thank you for the warm welcomes one and all.   I admit I'm pretty horrible @ Wow's (and talking to women, etc.) ;)   However the ping issue is really killing my game (pun intended.) 

[WOLF4]
Members
266 posts
9,427 battles

I would try to do a clean repair/install of your client. If not resolved there, maybe check to see what other internet services (or devices) are running on your pc/network (anyone streaming or watching while you are playing?) Do a speedtest to see what you are running at.  Also, if you are playing at different times as of late, there can be fluxes on your ISP network from people coming home and getting on netflix, etc. 

Just a list of possibilities that are easy to diagnose and check off to help narrow/resolve problem.

Edited by ZaCLoNer
  • Cool 2

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,151 battles

Welcome aboard mate.  This place is a fantastic community with a ton of extremely knowledgeable players that are more than willing to help. 

Welcome aboard!:Smile_honoring:

B

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles
37 minutes ago, ZaCLoNer said:

itI would try to do a clean repair/install of your client. If not resolved there, maybe check to see what other internet services (or devices) are running on your pc/network (anyone streaming or watching while you are playing?) Do a speedtest to see what you are running at.  Also, if you are playing at different times as of late, there can be fluxes on your ISP network from people coming home and getting on netflix, etc. 

Just a list of possibilities that are easy to diagnose and check off to help narrow/resolve problem.

Welcome to the game.

In addition to the good advice ZaCLonNer gives, it is always a good idea to check for driver updates when this kind of thing happens.  Check your network, too.  You could be having issues with your ISP.   Check if you are getting timeouts and slow pings from other sources, reboot your router, and so on.

One other tip:  Since it went live in 2003, the acronym, "WoW," has referred to one of the longest running and one of the most successful MMORPG games, "World of Warcraft."  That game is still going, and most gamers. therefore, automatically think "World of Warcraft" first when someone uses that acronym.  Thus, even though one can surmise pretty quickly from the context that you meant World of Warships rather than that game, it is better to use "WoWS" for this game to avoid even momentary confusion.

• Cool 1

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles
31 minutes ago, ZaCLoNer said:

I would try to do a clean repair/install of your client. If not resolved there, maybe check to see what other internet services (or devices) are running on your pc/network (anyone streaming or watching while you are playing?) Do a speedtest to see what you are running at.  Also, if you are playing at different times as of late, there can be fluxes on your ISP network from people coming home and getting on netflix, etc. 

Well it's just me and the cats ( I assume that they don't use netflix or the computer. If they did ..it would be amusing & scary.) ;)    As for removing the client...just remove it completely and reinstall it?  As for my speeds (and ping) -

31 minutes ago, ZaCLoNer said:

speedtest.PNG

Members
3,429 posts
6,898 battles

With those specs there is NO PROBLEM on your end. Mines are slower compared to yours but its gets down to what the specs are for your computer.  What are they? 

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles
5 minutes ago, annelid said:

and the cats ( I assume that they don't use netflix or the computer. If they did ..it would be amusing & scary

You should never assume with cats.  They are likely downloading cat videos when you are not paying attention.  They are like that.  Probably sending emails to @Lert, too.

• Cool 1

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles
8 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

With those specs there is NO PROBLEM on your end. Mines are slower compared to yours but its gets down to what the specs are for your computer.  What are they? 

A intel i7 2600k  / 8 gigs of ram / MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming OC 2GB  video card and lastly a * new - old stock*  -  ECS 
H61H2-M2  motherboard.  For a older cpu / setup - actually the mb is new , well old, but never used - the system is pretty decent.   For example , I recently found out about STEAM (hey I'm old and in my day we installed games via floppies or those new damn cd's!) and installed a game called Toxikk.  No lag , no stuttering...just good old , err , new fps shooting ala' 1999 (think - quake / unreal tournament , etc.)  I still say it's the latest client. 

img_8706.jpg

Edited by annelid

Members
3,429 posts
6,898 battles
2 minutes ago, annelid said:

A intel i7 2600k  / 8 gigs of ram / MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming OC 2GB  video card and lastly a * new - old stock*  -  ECS 
H61H2-M2  motherboard.  For a older cpu / setup - actually the mb is new , well old, but never used - the system is pretty decent.   For example , I recently found out about STEAM (hey I'm old and in my day we installed games via floppies or those new damn cd's!) and installed a game called Toxikk.  No lag , no stuttering...just good old , err , new fps shooting ala' 1999 (think - quake / unreal tournament , etc.)  I still say it's the latest client. 

Don't preach to the choir buddy...I ran a BBS and my first PC was the IBM PC with one floppy and 16K ram.  My first online experience was AOL ONLINE LOL!   But looking at your specs...they look good and enough to run WOWs as WOWs does not require a lot of expensive hardware to run. I do say however that the patches to WOWs are starting to up the specs so you may try Lowering the graphics specs just to see if the stuttering and lag becomes less so as a test. I also would check to see if the ping would be but from lets say...NY to CA as am example.  The chart you gave was a pretty short jump.  What WIN version  are you running?   Players running Win7 seems to be almost trouble free.... 

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles
7 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Don't preach to the choir buddy...I ran a BBS and my first PC was the IBM PC with one floppy and 16K ram.  My first online experience was AOL ONLINE LOL!   But looking at your specs...they look good and enough to run WOWs as WOWs does not require a lot of expensive hardware to run. I do say however that the patches to WOWs are starting to up the specs so you may try Lowering the graphics specs just to see if the stuttering and lag becomes less so as a test. I also would check to see if the ping would be but from lets say...NY to CA as am example.  The chart you gave was a pretty short jump.  What WIN version  are you running?   Players running Win7 seems to be almost trouble free.... 

Heck I used to have a  apple ][e with a novation apple cat modem...a Cider 10 MB ext hdd and 2 floppy drives. Used to run a bbs called the Pirates Ship. ;)    As for my current o/s i'm using windows 10 pro.  I'll try another speed test from ny/nj to la or something similar.  

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Welcome aboard to the forums and game, please let us know if we can provide assistance with anything.

• Cool 1

[UEFN]
Members
473 posts
4,274 battles

Sometimes just reinstalling the game will fix a lot. I'm running the game on an Intel Core i3 3220, 8gb, and Intel HD 2500 Integrated. (Also Windows 10.) So it most definitely is not your hardware. That said, some days on my first or 2nd battle I'll get ping spiking to 900ms for 10-15 minutes then the rest of the day I'll be fine. Not quite sure why that happens, but it resolves itself.

Also, are you running the game with the Wargaming Game Center or the original WoWs launcher? Not sure if this is true as I run the launcher, but I've seen a lot of people say the Game Center causes a lot of lag in-game by constantly doing things in the background, even after closed. If you are using it try killing the process with task manager once the game is open and see if that solves it.

Edited by Speedstang
  • Cool 1

Members
3,429 posts
6,898 battles
2 hours ago, annelid said:

Heck I used to have a  apple ][e with a novation apple cat modem...a Cider 10 MB ext hdd and 2 floppy drives. Used to run a bbs called the Pirates Ship. ;)    As for my current o/s i'm using windows 10 pro.  I'll try another speed test from ny/nj to la or something similar.  

Aha..good to meet another sysop from across the nation.  For your information there are BBS phone numbers and their specialty content  on the web. THE OLD DAYS!!! LOL!  

• Cool 1

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles
9 hours ago, dionkraft said:

Aha..good to meet another sysop from across the nation.  For your information there are BBS phone numbers and their specialty content  on the web. THE OLD DAYS!!! LOL!  

I think the software i used was called - GBBS Pro. It's been a long , long time ago.  Between that and D&D I think i rarely left the house (kinda like now.) ;) 

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles
11 hours ago, Speedstang said:

Sometimes just reinstalling the game will fix a lot. I'm running the game on an Intel Core i3 3220, 8gb, and Intel HD 2500 Integrated. (Also Windows 10.) So it most definitely is not your hardware. That said, some days on my first or 2nd battle I'll get ping spiking to 900ms for 10-15 minutes then the rest of the day I'll be fine. Not quite sure why that happens, but it resolves itself.

Also, are you running the game with the Wargaming Game Center or the original WoWs launcher? Not sure if this is true as I run the launcher, but I've seen a lot of people say the Game Center causes a lot of lag in-game by constantly doing things in the background, even after closed. If you are using it try killing the process with task manager once the game is open and see if that solves it.

I'm using the game center ( i believe.) I also have World of Warplanes installed as well ( that game is fun but vomit inducing..meaning ..all the pitching and rolling. Not too mention flying upside down.) The reason i mention warplanes is  that i believe i'm using the gamecenter application (which allows you to select what game you want - ie...plane / ship.)  I think I'll stick with warships for now.  

[WOLF4]
Members
266 posts
9,427 battles

So we may be possibly looking at 2 different issues.

A. It's hard to know without diagnostics but what is your CPU/GPU utilization while in game (Task Manager/MSI AfterBurner)? This can be itself a cause with FPS (stab in the dark, but worth exploring nonetheless).

*1. Frame Rates are governed with your CPU calculations and GPU rendering so we are exploring both of those above. 

*2. Set every setting to low and see what performance is like after gathering above benchmarks for comparison.

*3. Try running dx9 (or dx11) that you haven't been using and just see if you are seeing the same issues.

AND

B. You definitely aren't being throttled through ISP connectivity. So you are looking at your local network level. What version of windows are you running because your PC specs seem good (You have a bios update for Windows 8.1 if you are running that OS). I am going on a limb and will make a few "general" suggestions for you to try. After each step, try running the game and see what happens.

*1. Try running dx9 (or dx11) that you haven't been using and just see if you are seeing the same issues.

*2. Are you sure you don't have Steam running updates in background or something else hogging your system's internet while in game? (Task Manager)

*3. Run elevated (administrator) command prompt and run ipconfig /flushdns

*4. If you have been using WiFi, try Ethernet or vice-versa.

*5. You have the Atheros AR8152-B network card on your motherboard. It does not seem to wifi capabilities but if we try ethernet, we will want to ensure this is up to date and cleanly installed.  (seems like 2013 may have been last update).

Go to Device Manger>

-Right click Network interface/card/adapter>Check for updates/drivers

or

-(Find network card/adapter)>Uninstall>Scan for new Hardware Changes>Reinstall Driver

*6. Do same with your wifi pcie card or whatever you have for wifi interface.

*7. It seems based from your test that only WoWs is being hit by the latency, not Netflix, Youtube, etc.So let's figure out if you Antivirus is doing something silly. You can manually add ports/programs to the exception list of Antivirus programs usually.  Worse case scenario>disable firewall/real time scanning while playing/launching game.

*8. Uninstall/Reinstall/Repair base game.

These are some steps I would try to begin doing at this point. I hope something here helps or improves your performance. Without much more data at this point, these are just some general attempts/shots in the dark to see what will affect/improve your experience. Good Luck!

Another point that I want to emphasize (and never hurts) is to powercycle your router/modem for at least 30 seconds. I can't see what firmware update would be affecting this but hey, usually you should install those anyway on your routers :)

Edited by ZaCLoNer
  • Cool 2

Members
236 posts
6,010 battles

Really late saying Hi, but ... Welcome to the forums, anyway!

You've had a lot of good advice from everyone else.  Can't think of anything to add.

Good luck and good hunting!

• Cool 1

Members
8 posts
1,689 battles
20 hours ago, ZaCLoNer said:

So we may be possibly looking at 2 different issues.

A. It's hard to know without diagnostics but what is your CPU/GPU utilization while in game (Task Manager/MSI AfterBurner)? This can be itself a cause with FPS (stab in the dark, but worth exploring nonetheless).

*1. Frame Rates are governed with your CPU calculations and GPU rendering so we are exploring both of those above. 

*2. Set every setting to low and see what performance is like after gathering above benchmarks for comparison.

*3. Try running dx9 (or dx11) that you haven't been using and just see if you are seeing the same issues.

AND

B. You definitely aren't being throttled through ISP connectivity. So you are looking at your local network level. What version of windows are you running because your PC specs seem good (You have a bios update for Windows 8.1 if you are running that OS). I am going on a limb and will make a few "general" suggestions for you to try. After each step, try running the game and see what happens.

*1. Try running dx9 (or dx11) that you haven't been using and just see if you are seeing the same issues.

*2. Are you sure you don't have Steam running updates in background or something else hogging your system's internet while in game? (Task Manager)

*3. Run elevated (administrator) command prompt and run ipconfig /flushdns

*4. If you have been using WiFi, try Ethernet or vice-versa.

*5. You have the Atheros AR8152-B network card on your motherboard. It does not seem to wifi capabilities but if we try ethernet, we will want to ensure this is up to date and cleanly installed.  (seems like 2013 may have been last update).

Go to Device Manger>

-Right click Network interface/card/adapter>Check for updates/drivers

or

-(Find network card/adapter)>Uninstall>Scan for new Hardware Changes>Reinstall Driver

*6. Do same with your wifi pcie card or whatever you have for wifi interface.

*7. It seems based from your test that only WoWs is being hit by the latency, not Netflix, Youtube, etc.So let's figure out if you Antivirus is doing something silly. You can manually add ports/programs to the exception list of Antivirus programs usually.  Worse case scenario>disable firewall/real time scanning while playing/launching game.

*8. Uninstall/Reinstall/Repair base game.

These are some steps I would try to begin doing at this point. I hope something here helps or improves your performance. Without much more data at this point, these are just some general attempts/shots in the dark to see what will affect/improve your experience. Good Luck!

Another point that I want to emphasize (and never hurts) is to powercycle your router/modem for at least 30 seconds. I can't see what firmware update would be affecting this but hey, usually you should install those anyway on your routers :)

I'm running cat 6e straight to a Asus RT-N66U that's running the latest firmware.  The o/s in question is windows 10 pro - fully updated  (as are the drivers.)  I always shut down Steam and other things - like one drive, etc.  I took one of the forum members suggestions and closed out the game launcher and went directly to the .exe.    So far that seems to help out a lot. :)