Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kerabatsos

i love my kagero

37 comments in this topic

[USN50]
Members
76 posts
6,743 battles

am i the only one that likes this ship? i read so many bad reviews. with 5.4km concealment, it loves up tier and low tier. its a second half dd. keep your guns quiet or your dead but with TA 8km torps at 72 and torp reload, i have a blast with this thing. its a great spotter and ambusher. i never sat in smoke before so i dont care about the smoke nerf. i call this ship my ninja.

i looked that the yugomo stats and the ship doesnt seem any better. not really excited about shima either. i loved fubuki and mutsuk too. i was thinking of stopping here in the line and screw the shima. i just dont feel like grinding the yugomo...

any thoughts? am i all alone in my love for this ship?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,690 posts
19,844 battles

I bought it back after I won a halloween camo for itt and in the few times I've driven it since I had some fun. Not a bad ship.

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

I love the thing. It reminds me of the old Minekaze: Decent maneuverability, small detection radius, decent torps.

Members
6,166 posts
7,848 battles

Kagero is good. I think a lot of those reviews are from when she was still a T9, succeeding a T8 Fubuki.

You'll probably want Yuugumo though. The half a knot she does over Kagero has a noticeable difference if you play the lower-mid tier IJN DDs often. Her concealment is still trollishly good at 5.5km and she gets better type 93s(more range, speed and damage).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SYN]
Members
53 posts
2,895 battles

I love my Kagero, although I play it rather aggressively. I missed the "keep your guns quiet" memo :P. Good fire chance and great alpha on those things.

Members
949 posts
4,357 battles

Needs DP guns, AA is bad . Overall Not as good as Akatsuki, Fubuki  or even Shiratsuyu. The torp spread are too wide for both settings. The 2x4 spreads as they are, you have to drop 8 close to snipe , and using the wide spread seems much a waste , use 4 gaps are a mile wide , use 8 somewhat smaller gaps , but then you have no torps for 100 seconds. Which is glacial , *simunlar to the Shiratsuyu , but the Shira with its torp relaod make the Kagero look like a joke there.

Now with the conealment of Kangero, you get into she is a lone sniper , drifting around not being seen or hiding and maybe stalking and firing 8 torps in an overlapping close spread to sink/damage 1 ship. She can't really do anything else , the slow reload , 2 salvoes ,and wide spread , plus being at T8(facing a pleatthora of radar/hydro ships) mean she can't fight close in supporting other ships, not like a 3x3 DD can or the shirat with its 2x4x2.

Why the thing does not have DP guns IDK, but this hurts if you out doing the stealth sniper stalker and get found by air, just gotta run and run and run.

Overall with the loner sniper highspeed aspects and the more selfish , more radar at T8+, I am looking at her as yea, has some lone killer potential , but has no special features , a slow torp reload , 2 salvo , bad spread (the wide is too wide and so is the close spread), which means your attacks have to be precise and very few, and hide /wait for the next shot. It has good guns, but they aren't too useful consider all the thing really has going for it is stealth, and guns negate that.

Kageros may have the stealth kill er high damage hunter tactics(the torps inflict alot of damage) , but the Kangero looks to demand a singular and selfish (common at high tiers), but the wait for another 2 salvoes of torps , kind of make it lok like a boring ship . And at T8 the thing has nada for bells and whistles. might as well be a T5 with 10km torps. plain and boring with a "deer hunter" method of play.

Not realy knocking the ship but there are the above mentioned 3 at earlier tiers that have 10km torps, (lots more salvoes) as good as guns , besides theirs being AADP, and many more options . and many earlier IJN DD's look more "fun' the Kagero, no matter how you slice it.

I only got 3 weak games in Kagero, and I can see her style of play, and it is not looking like it is going to be fun at all compared to many earlier IJN DD'S. I'll get better with her, but the lack of fun factor and few options is already looking like it is going to just be a long boring drudge to T9, IF i stick with her.

Edited by Strachwitz666

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
10,851 battles

I just finished grinding the ship last weekend.

Overall, I found her a very challenging ship to play. 

The concealment is obviously amazing. You can sometimes completely ruin other DDs' day but staying on their tails. She is a great at spotting role for the team. There was one game I did 160k spotting damage.

However, her individual damage output is hard to maximize. Her guns are good for self-defense. However, the low range means it is mostly used against DDs. You can't hurt larger ships with those guns.

Her torps feel harder to use than Akatsuki's due to longer reload and 1 less torp per salvo. You can't really spam torps like you do with Akatsuki. The torps hit hard but are easy to detect. It is easy for enemy ships to dodge unless you fire from their broadside. This requires much smarter positioning from the driver. I know some players use torp reload so that you can have a much larger or denser spread. This definitely will make her torpedo striking power stronger. However, personally I prefer smoke which provides overall more utility.

Edited by Exciton8964

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I love the Kagero. I played her with the build that I've seen Flamu use, with Torp Reload instead of smoke. I think I'm going to use it on Yugumo... once I get the cash for her :Smile_teethhappy: When I tried it first I thought it was too risky for my taste, but then sitting in the smoke is risky too and given how many radar/hydro ships are in the game at the moment, you're never safe. 

Occasionally you can get destroyed very easily, since you really have no escape if spotted by another DD, but then the volume of torpedoes you can pump out and the ability to set perma floods with torp reload is worth it. Main thing is staying away from caps with a lot of natural cover, because that's where you lose your main advantage - concealment. Staying in open waters and spamming torps on cooldown does net a decent amount of damage and helps win games. 

I used a 15-point captain and I don't have RPF yet, but it definitely would save my behind in many situations. Maybe I should re-spec.

And in rare occasion when you get to use them, the guns are fine as well. I love the meaty sound of them, they are fairly accurate and have good arcs. And there's 6 of them. So, if you get to commandeer someone else's smoke, you can do quite a bit of damage with your guns as well. But mostly I was shooting them because I love the sound :Smile_teethhappy:

Actually, looking at my stats, I sunk 7 ships with my main battery out of 31 total kills. So, yes, useful guns.

Edited by geser98

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

Kagero is my old reliable.  I loved her at T9, still love her at T8.

One bonus of the painfully short gun range is the new detection mechanics.  So easy to run TRB and just kite away shooting from enemy DDs, dropping off as soon as you cant shoot which is way before any other peer DD.

[SYN]
Members
3,736 posts
23,568 battles

I haven't really played her much but have the Halloween camo for her now and will play a few more games.  I loved the T9 variant and still don't understand why the change was needed.

Having said that Yugumo is the best DD in the entire IJN line. If you love the Kagero you will dump her soon as you meet Yugumo. Similar concealment, better guns and longer range on torps which makes a huge difference with all the radar ships about. Kite away using only your back guns and you can duel any DD (even beaten a Khab or two. though I suspect their captains were the problem).

I use TRB on both with RPF skill to help mitigate the risk of not having smoke.

• Cool 1

Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

I just finished my Kagero grind and have moved up to the Yugo.  I ran mine with smoke and not torp booster and found it quite sufficient.  Take a look:

cd870cbc5191fb92ed26300c5d168610.png

[USN50]
Members
76 posts
6,743 battles
26 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

I haven't really played her much but have the Halloween camo for her now and will play a few more games.  I loved the T9 variant and still don't understand why the change was needed.

Having said that Yugumo is the best DD in the entire IJN line. If you love the Kagero you will dump her soon as you meet Yugumo. Similar concealment, better guns and longer range on torps which makes a huge difference with all the radar ships about. Kite away using only your back guns and you can duel any DD (even beaten a Khab or two. though I suspect their captains were the problem).

I use TRB on both with RPF skill to help mitigate the risk of not having smoke.

cool thanks. i will get her and try her out. i got TRB but what is RPF? thanks!

[SYN]
Members
3,736 posts
23,568 battles
2 hours ago, Kerabatsos said:

cool thanks. i will get her and try her out. i got TRB but what is RPF? thanks!

Sorry typo I have fat fingers

I meant the Tier 4 Radio Location commander skill.

Members
949 posts
4,357 battles

Note: reading elswhere and here found that Kagero has a torp reload booster, somehow I have missed that . So now have to consider she might be played like the Shiratsuyu , not sure about the gun difference , differently seemed short range. 

Another couple games(1-1) finally got the torps to work . Now starting to get the ship

Edited by Strachwitz666

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
17 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Note: reading elswhere and here found that Kagero has a torp reload booster, somehow I have missed that . So now have to consider she might be played like the Shiratsuyu , not sure about the gun difference , differently seemed short range.

Yeah, playstyle is similar. Same detection range, i think, but kagero's reload booster works faster. And i think they have same torpedoes too, but not 100% sure.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

I didn't enjoy her much when I ground through her early this year, but that was also before she was buffed with TRB consumable.

In hindsight, I'd gladly give up smoke for more torpedo power, as her guns are woeful at best.  I always found her to be more suitable at T7 than T8, where she always seemed a bit underwhelming compared to other DD's at the tier.

• Cool 1

Members
949 posts
4,357 battles
34 minutes ago, geser98 said:

Yeah, playstyle is similar. Same detection range, i think, but kagero's reload booster works faster. And i think they have same torpedoes too, but not 100% sure.

torps are 17k,  improve to 21 k , so they are killer , not sure where they sit in tier. Russians prolly have 23-25 damage torps on some paper flame thrower at T8 IDK. will look. Always take a few days if not weeks to get a ship right. If this thing play like the Shira but with better torps and concealment , I will do good in it. though I do like shooting in DD's this might not be the ship to do it.  Have not upgraded from stock , so there more potential. Last game of 5 played on Kagero was 80K , 1st rank on team.

Edited by Strachwitz666

Members
949 posts
4,357 battles
39 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

In hindsight, I'd gladly give up smoke for more torpedo power, as her guns are woeful at best.  I always found her to be more suitable at T7 than T8, where she always seemed a bit underwhelming compared to other DD's at the tier.

Defeintely would give up smoke.  torp reload with 16 21K torps is fiecrsome . Smoke ?  LOL Altruism seems to get rare at T8 , look out for yourself especially  in a DD. with 5.5 concealment, you gotta worry about getting hit if somebody is shooting at somebody else , no real need for smokeLOL 

watch out for fast cruisers

Edited by Strachwitz666

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,322 posts
13,270 battles

I like the old T9 Kagero (for the torpedo reload upgrade and F3) and T8 Fubuki (for the best concealed 15km fish and extra launcher) much better than the current T8 Kagero.

Somehow I still have 160-some matches and a 19-pt commander in this one. Don't even know why.

Edited by chewonit

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
5 hours ago, chewonit said:

Somehow I still have 160-some matches and a 19-pt commander in this one. Don't even know why.

Looks like she's you top T8 DD. Don't lie to yourself - you're secretly in love with her :Smile_playing:

latest?cb=20140315195952&path-prefix=pro

Edited by geser98

[USN50]
Members
76 posts
6,743 battles
16 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I didn't enjoy her much when I ground through her early this year, but that was also before she was buffed with TRB consumable.

this: many times with TRB i sunk ships that i missed with the first two just like the last game i played in the yugomo. so got the ship and its pretty much just like playing the kagero. i dont ever shoot at anyone unless i have to or i am free to because no one is looking at me. i dont battle with other dds on purpose. just a plain torp boat. i dont really see myself playing the shima so i dont think i will grind her too much. its going to take a long time to get the shima unlocked. i enjoy bbs and my atago too much

[CYNIC]
Members
550 posts
32,752 battles

It's a horrid ship torp reload takes forever turrets turn like crap and it's SLOOOOOOOW  just a prime target for radar and there's no escape 

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
25 minutes ago, Capt_Q_Sparrow said:

It's a horrid ship torp reload takes forever turrets turn like crap and it's SLOOOOOOOW  just a prime target for radar and there's no escape 

You're in a wrong discussion. It's only love and positive vibes here :Smile_popcorn:

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,581 posts
6,743 battles

I adore Kagero. It isn't quite Yugumo, but it is close. I always take the torpedo reload booster over smoke when I'm given the option. I got exceedingly good at playing destroyers without smoke. The only thing I don't like about Kagero is the 3D model in game is really low quality. It badly needs an update.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

I love my Kagerou. I don't think I'll ever sell her, I'll just train up another CE captain to take her current place, as she's absolutely beautiful to look at and to work with. She's by far my current best DD. 1400 WTR and a 60% WR in her :3

~Hunter

Sign in to follow this