Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Sarcasticat_

Taylor Anderson Destroyermen Fans, IT'S HAPPENING!!!

19 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
19,031 posts
6,792 battles

NEW book announced for release on JULY 10, 2018!

The new book is RIVER OF BONES, book #13.

SO EXCITED! Look at that beautiful artwork!

http://destroyermen.wikia.com/wiki/River_of_Bones

fjP3RWh.png

Santy Cat gon smash. 

====================================================================================================

Never heard of Destroyermen before?

Well, here's a self-made blurb for you:

"The Destroyermen series is a book series by an author named Taylor Anderson. It describes the tale of an old Asiatic Fleet Wickes-Class Destroyer USS Walker (DD-163) commanded by Lt.Cmdr. Matthew Reddy and kept together with "gum and bailing wire" by his crew (Brad "Spanky" McFarlane (Engineering), Greg Garrett (Gunnery), Chief Bosun's Mate Fitzhugh Gray (Or Gray, Boats, Bosun), among others.) as they flee from the enclosing Japanese forces in the Java Sea. During their final battle there, a strange storm engulfs Walker and her sister ship, Mahan (DD-102), and they're swept into waters they certainly don't recognize. Soon, they meet 2 certainly unearthly species in a battle, and Walker joins up with one to fight the other. The series continues with their fight, and what they must do to survive, and even find others that may have come before..."

- Self-made blurb from MY THREAD ON MAKING USS WALKER A TIER IV OR III PREMIUM.

Official blurb:

"Pressed into service when World War 2 breaks out in the Pacific, USS Walker—a Great War–era destroyer—finds itself in full retreat from pursuit by Japanese battleships. Its captain, Lieutenant Commander Matthew Patrick Reddy, heads Walker into a squall for cover. They emerge somewhere else...

Familiar landmarks appear, but the water teems with vicious, monstrous fish—and there appear to be dinosaurs grazing onshore. Matt and his crew have entered an alternate world...and they are not alone. Humans have not evolved, but two other species have. And they are at war.

Reddy and the crew of the Walker have the power and weaponry capable of turning a primitive war into a genocidal Armageddon. Now they must decide which species they will support, because the side they choose will be victorious..."

===================================================================================================

If you've become interested, please, purchase the first and second book and give the series a chance. Even if you cringe a little at the first book, read the second and/or third. The plot evolves beyond what I could have even though, and it's amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Into-Storm-Destroyermen-Taylor-Anderson/dp/0451462378/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509370444&sr=8-5&keywords=taylor+anderson+destroyermen+series

https://www.amazon.com/Crusade-Destroyermen-Taylor-Anderson/dp/0451462572/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0451462572&pd_rd_r=KK60PDX8WPEX5HT4WB9V&pd_rd_w=Q4Z2R&pd_rd_wg=HCBpd&psc=1&refRID=KK60PDX8WPEX5HT4WB9V&dpID=51iCj1NteCL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=detail

===================================================================================================

Read the series?

Support WALKER as a premium!:

Don't like fictional ships but like the Wickes-class look?

Support IJN PATROL BOAT NO. 102 as a premium!:

Thank you all and hope you're hyped for the continuation of this epic series!

Edited by StrixKitty
  • Cool 6

Beta Testers
19,031 posts
6,792 battles
40 minutes ago, Alionar13 said:

YOOOOOOOOOO, nice!

Kinda worried about what'll happen to Santa Catalina. It looks like what was predicted to happen will be coming about. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
2 hours ago, StrixKitty said:

kept together with "gum and bailing wire"

You might think this is hyperbole for literary effect but if you've served in the military you know that it can be true. My Dad was once boarding a military transport when the door fell off. The Air Force crew just grabbed a roll of bailing wire and duct tape and stuck the door back on. Halfway through the flight the door came off again so they tied a rope to it and got a couple of soldiers to hold it shut until they landed. 

Oftentimes they flew those C-47s with open doors anyway. None of this modern pressurized and heated cabin mollycoddling of troops back then.

480_AL_with_doors_off_MOD.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

Beta Testers
68 posts
8,164 battles

I've read all the books in the series. Some are better than others, but the series as a whole is very good and entertaining.

Looking forward to the new book.

Thanks

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,063 posts
22,585 battles

Never heard of the Destroyermen series but it looks interesting. Will have to give it a try. Thanks!

Beta Testers
19,031 posts
6,792 battles
1 hour ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Thanks for this link, all new to me. I mostly read non-fiction but I like my brain candy every now and again. Read the reviews on Amazon, will definitely start the series.

If you're looking for brain candy then look no further. This book is 98% realism and 2% science fiction IMO. The ingenious things they do excite me greatly. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
19,031 posts
6,792 battles
39 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Never heard of the Destroyermen series but it looks interesting. Will have to give it a try. Thanks!

I'm quite sure you'll like it if you like sci-fi/historical realism. There's no space aliens, but a more...rustic...approach and it's very interesting to see a beat-up post-WW1-era Wickes actually be the most powerful ship in the entire world (little hint there). 

Like I said, give the series a chance. The first book, Into the Storm, is a little melodramatic and quite cliche but it's obviously the author's first, or one of the first, books of the fiction genre he's written, and it fairly reminds me of a old western (the guy is in his mid-50's so it makes sense as to why) and his writing style gives you a sense of you're watching a movie, the way the various perceptions flow and how he uses his diction. The second book and above is a major improvement upon the first and is the book that really caught my attention fully, Crusade. The series has a sort of build-up thing for the first 3, with Maelstrom being the culmination of the first two, and the latter books subsist of the revelations of the first 3 (sort of) but also includes many new elements and I feel a build-up is again on its' way.

1 hour ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Thanks for this link, all new to me. I mostly read non-fiction but I like my brain candy every now and again. Read the reviews on Amazon, will definitely start the series.

Please, give my above paragraph a look. 

Beta Testers
19,031 posts
6,792 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

You might think this is hyperbole for literary effect but if you've served in the military you know that it can be true. My Dad was once boarding a military transport when the door fell off. The Air Force crew just grabbed a roll of bailing wire and duct tape and stuck the door back on. Halfway through the flight the door came off again so they tied a rope to it and got a couple of soldiers to hold it shut until they landed. 

Oftentimes they flew those C-47s with open doors anyway. None of this modern pressurized and heated cabin mollycoddling of troops back then.

Jeezus that's gotta be scary. Just one misstep when looking out through one of those doors...RIP.

18 minutes ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Great series! Haven't read #12 yet now I gotta get it! +1

#12 is one of the best recently. Devil's Due is pretty epic as well, near on-par though in a slightly different manner. 

[SOUP]
Modder
8,805 posts

Sounds like American WW2 version of G.I. Samurai or GATE: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,788 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Then again, the C-47 didn't fly as high as the Hercules. The Hercules can fly fully-loaded almost what the Skytrain could fly unweighted.

Also recall that, when you are air-dropping troops, their body temperatures determine their responsiveness. So, when a body is cold, it has a slower reaction time, and those few milliseconds can mean death or life in a combat situation.

That was one of the advantages that Sabre pilots had over their MiG counterparts: Though the MiG was technically superior in many aspects to the Sabre, the Sabre had a heated cockpit, which allowed the Sabre pilot faster responsiveness on the controls for longer operational periods than a MiG pilot. Proof of this can be found in the statements of No Kum-sok, who defected from North Korea and gave the NATO powers their first operational MiG, and who favored the heated cockpits of the Sabre far more than the unheated one of the MiG.
  And, one last thing, heating the cockpit also helped prevent the windshield from icing, a common problem amongst MiGs operating at altitude. The same could be said for the doors of a Hercules: Heating the fuselage of a transport aircraft can prevent the doors from icing, at least on the inside. This means that you don't have to abort a jump because the door wouldn't open.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
19,031 posts
6,792 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

Sounds like American WW2 version of G.I. Samurai or GATE: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

The only "G.I. Samurai" in Destroyermen is Tamatsu Shinya :p

Sign in to follow this