Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Minsk.

20 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,634 posts

I think I just figured out why I get along with Minsk (and Leningrad) so well:

While poking around in my RU DD anchorage, I noticed a certain similarity between this ship and Podvoisky- which is my favorite so far.  Upon closer inspection, the two are virtually identical, save for a few minor improvements on Minsk, like an extra knot of speed, slightly smaller turning radius, an extra torpedo per launcher, 3 extra 37mm AA guns and 3 76mm AAA guns.  Along with 2500 or so extra hp and 2 mm extra armor.

Play-wise, it's the same thing and rewards the same tactics.  I've basically already played though it once- and loved it.

This makes Gnevny even more of an oddball sitting right between the two.  (considering Podvoisky was essentially the prototype for Leningrad and Minsk)

Kiev looks to be even better!

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
707 posts
10,198 battles

I enjoyed minsk. The MM at that tier isnt too bad and the guns are nice as long as you use EM and preposition them.  Overall the russian dd line is pretty solid and constant. Kiev out of all of them plays kinda hybrid but guns still do most of the damage.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Well, it's really hard to say, which one is "odd one out" among the Soviet DD line:   :Smile_teethhappy:

Storozhevoi - Not sure she really existed.

Derpski and Izya - Imperial Russian Navy boats. Subclasses of the same class. Small guns, surprisingly good concealment and many short-range torps

Podvoisky - Paper ship as a preliminary design for a flotilla leader. Big 130mm guns, firing Stalinium shells, crap concealment

Gnevny - Italian-designed and built with really bad sea-going qualities and stability

Leningrad/Minsk - destroyer leaders based on French designs. That's why they look like baguettes. They didn't really work IRL

Kiev - cheaper, smaller and very communist version of Italian Tashkent design

Tashkent - Italian again! 

Khaba - a paper ship.

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,634 posts

By "odd man out"  I meant that you go from a 5 gun ship at tier 5, to a four gun ship at tier 6 (with little or nothing to make up for it); then at tier 7 you get the tier 5 5-gun ship again, just improved.   It's a jump in playstyle, as both Podvoisky and minsk play the same- but Gnevny is a different playstyle (and foreshadowing of the Ognevoi at tier 8)

Seems to me, it would have been more intuitive to leave Gnevny at tier 5 (like it's premium counterpart, Gremmy), and make Podvoisky the tier 6.

It just feels WEIRD, that the premium (and superior) Gnevny is now a tier lower (and still better)than the tech tree version.

But what do I know- I'm just a spud who likes Russian destroyers.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I haven't played Minsk myself so I can't really comment on her performance.

[WOLF7]
Members
236 posts
6,732 battles

On the beginning i struggling with Minsk because i wanted to play her like Gnevny, using concealment. Was only after i redistribuited the captain skills, saying goodbye to concealment, and using aft instead, that the ship started to  shine. It has now 14.7 km range, and now i burn Bb from distance.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,634 posts

Right now, it's captain is at 14 points- with one unused.  I have IFHE as my 4 point skill.  And DE.  EM, LS; Preventative Maintenance and Priority Target.

I'll probably re-skill it next time there's a sale, as PM doesn't do a damn thing- every shot that hits still breaks something.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,382 battles

It's a tough ship to play. I'm dealing a lot more damage with DE, since your shells really don't cause much damage on their own, especially against the only targets you can reliably hit, BBs and big CAs.*

Domination games are often quite frustrating in the Minsk, as you can't really cap until late in the game, which forces you to rely on your team early on....there are days (many) where you can't BUY a win as a result. The horrible concealment kills this ship. I'm having good games where I do everything I'm supposed to do, deal out a respectable amount of damage, contest caps, provide smoke cover, etc and still lose over, and over, and over again.

Knife fighting is somewhat more difficult in this boat than in some preceding RU DDs because it has absolutely awful torpedo tube arcs.

I'm finding the Minsk grind to be a real, unrewarding slog.

* I haven't had this much difficulty landing shots in a DD since T3. I think the only other DD that misses as many times as it hits is the Wickes!

Edited by legozer

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,382 battles

The biggest reward Minsk provides, BTW, is a healthy stack of detonation medals.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,382 battles

A solid Minsk game:

*Scouts up middle for team, spots several ships*

*Slows speed as team opens fire*

*Moves into islands on the west*

*Orion and Graf Spee come into range*

*Pops smoke and opens fire*

Nice! I started a fire on each ship! Oh! AA is going off....damn, there are 4 torpedo squadrons above me. "Hey, Atlanta, can you move into my smoke? Thanks!

Ok, those fires are doing their job, and the sky cancer has cleared. Wow, I landed 56 shells and did 19k damage. Great start, legozer! Looks like a solid win is shaping up!

*Pops out of Sniper mode, notices 2/3rds of team already sunk on the east side of the map after the first 3 minutes*

*IMMEDIATELY spotted by enemy DD as Fiji rolls into view from behind an island 9.6 Km away*

Aw, MOTHERF

**Detonation**

Edited by legozer

[WOLF7]
Members
236 posts
6,732 battles

Minsk is a huge Challenge, but it is where u learn How to play for the rest of the LINE grinding. Basic Skills for it are PM, LS, EM, BFT, and AFT. What requires 12 points. Anything more than that u can try DE or SI they are both very usefull.

[WOLF7]
Members
236 posts
6,732 battles

I Just passed the Minsk, got the Kiev, using the same Skills for captain, no need to redistribute. All I can say the ship is awesome. Totally Worth the grinding.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,382 battles

I've considered free xping my way to Kiev, but I know it's in my best interest to get better with Minsk first.

Another solid Minsk game for you to consider:

*steams full speed to cap A. Slows short of A, IMMEDIATELY SPOTTED by Gaede*

*speed boost into cap, punch Gaede in mouth, light fire on New Mexico *

*speeds out of cap, wiggling and evading hail of enemy fire*

Nice! I pushed the enemy dds outta cap and now our Farragut is capping . Getting solid damage on NM. Lookin good so far!

*evades BB AP salvo*

Sweet!

*another AP salvo, poorly aimed...huge she'll dispersion sees a rogue shell gently nudge the stern*

*detonation*

[_DKM_]
Members
14 posts
7,711 battles

I have found that I can really take advantage of this ships speed in certain circumstances. I have found great success in charging a enemy DD's smoke screen, using those fast torps against them when you break into the haze. Also I can stalk a enemy BB right up to detection, kick in the speed boost and when in range pop smoke, hit brakes launch torps and run like hell. The speed of this ship can be a great advantage, but surviving the early stages of the match is essential, and being aware of what is going on around you will dictate how and when to use it Having played exclusively the INJ and USA since closed beta, I am having some fun and some frustration learning the Russian DD's. Having much of my success with the INJ DD's , using stealth and concealment and avoiding knife fights, this has been a stiff learning curve for me.

Members
346 posts
11,843 battles

The best way to play the leningrad/minsk is to hit your targets at distance, like 13 km for BB. Those BB's have a hard time hitting you at the distance. Small concealment is good, for when the need to cap.

The Kiev is played the same way, but the problem I had is most of the time no one else is capping. With the Kiev I found that hard to do, so I gave up.

[ARCO]
Members
882 posts
1,312 battles

Thanks to this forum I understood that high tier Russian DDs need difernt gameplay and captain abilities. Since I go for damage repair, HP boost and fires instead of the "classic ones for DDs everything goes better.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,634 posts
On 12/7/2017 at 1:00 PM, Patosentado said:

Thanks to this forum I understood that high tier Russian DDs need difernt gameplay and captain abilities. Since I go for damage repair, HP boost and fires instead of the "classic ones for DDs everything goes better.

Yep- the VMF DD line are definitely different animals than the rest of the DD's.  You're about as subtle as a baseball bat to the kneecaps.    You want to keep those guns firing, lighting fires and nickel and diming enemies to death.  Or, when opportunity knocks, farming citadel hits.

Thus your speed and distance are your main protection.   It's %$#@ing hard to hit a small ship going 40 knots at long range.

I'm probably a little TOO aggressive in mine, but I'm a huge fan of USN DD's and that's where I tend to go, playstyle wise.  Especially Nicholas, Farragut and Sims.  This made Long Jiang an instant favorite when it released- that ship rewards aggression and senseless violence, lol.

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
18,965 battles
On 11/6/2017 at 1:41 PM, legozer said:

It's a tough ship to play. I'm dealing a lot more damage with DE, since your shells really don't cause much damage on their own, especially against the only targets you can reliably hit, BBs and big CAs.*

Domination games are often quite frustrating in the Minsk, as you can't really cap until late in the game, which forces you to rely on your team early on....there are days (many) where you can't BUY a win as a result. The horrible concealment kills this ship. I'm having good games where I do everything I'm supposed to do, deal out a respectable amount of damage, contest caps, provide smoke cover, etc and still lose over, and over, and over again.

Knife fighting is somewhat more difficult in this boat than in some preceding RU DDs because it has absolutely awful torpedo tube arcs.

I'm finding the Minsk grind to be a real, unrewarding slog.

* I haven't had this much difficulty landing shots in a DD since T3. I think the only other DD that misses as many times as it hits is the Wickes!

AFT is a must for the Minsk when you get a 10pt captain. Makes her shell range like 14.6km so you can just sit back more safely and do increased damage while living longer. BBs hate getting HE spammed from long range by a DD.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
On 11/25/2017 at 10:22 PM, Timo_Greenwold said:

The Kiev is played the same way, but the problem I had is most of the time no one else is capping. With the Kiev I found that hard to do, so I gave up.

Kiev (any of the VMF destroyers, really) is good at capping under the right circumstances.  In the early game, that means you spawned near a cap with little/no island cover and can speed rush in before anybody else gets there, preferably with friendly support in case you have to speed rush right back out.  In the late game, it's good for flanking around the opposing team on mid-sized maps to capture points they aren't defending.

Ideally, though, your time is much better spent burning battleships from 12km+ away.  Or citadeling the bejeebus out of cruisers who thought they were ambushing you.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this