Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
behindurback

sniping BBs should have a negative dispersion modifier

35 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
447 posts
3,945 battles

BBs shooting from more than 15km away should get a additional -50% dispersion nerf.

way too many BBs refuse to even leave spawn for the entire game

whats the incentive to leave spawn right now when exp/cred is based on dmg done and BBs can snipe from 20km?

• Cool 2

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
23,993 battles

then your sniper BBs will just be all the more useless because they will still be doing the same thing but with worse accuracy.

• Cool 6

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,214 battles
7 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

then your sniper BBs will just be all the more useless because they will still be doing the same thing but with worse accuracy.

:Smile_great:

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Remove dispersion by 50%? 

That's a buff, not a nerf. 

• Cool 6

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles
Just now, RivertheRoyal said:

I'll take one of those to go, please!

[HINON]
Members
13,694 posts
4 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

I love lasers. This would give the Yamato a superlaser.

yqFPJNp.gif

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,491 battles
42 minutes ago, behindurback said:

BBs shooting from more than 15km away should get a additional -50% dispersion nerf.

whats the incentive to leave spawn right now when exp/cred is based on dmg done and BBs can snipe from 20km?

Not a bad idea in and of itself, and I can see how that sort of nerf could help reduce camping, but in the end all the BBabies whining will ultimately cause a hurricane of whine threads from salty BB scrubs and will end with it being revoked most likely 

[CNO]
Members
6,058 posts
18,503 battles

Let those snipers snipe.  Let's some of us win by knowing when to press.  I supported a T9 and T10 DD into a cap in my T8 BB (Bismarck).  It's not often I push early when bottom tiered, but with two DDs in support...I was all in.  We ran into a T9 and T10 DD, supported by a T8 BB and T10 CA.  The difference?  Their T8 BB was in mid range support, as was their CA.  Two DDs and a pushing BB are more than the sum of their parts.  Red were not exactly sniping, but still...they were a T10 CA up on us.  We quickly dispatched the two DDs, and I got to chase the BB and CA (yes...my little T8 BB chasing down a T8 BB and a T10 CA), while my DD friends moved on to other things.  Up two DDs in the first minutes of the game is big.

So, let 'em snipe.  Gives me more opportunities.  

All that said, there is a time (especially in many top tier games) where you gotta feel out the opponent.  And sometimes, the evolving game dictates a snipe-like mode.  For example, I had half the enemy team pinned on the side of the map with my Yamato the other day.  I'm not going to push in that situation because they have me outnumbered and could overwhelm me on a push.  So I'm just going to sit and snipe...and wait for my buddies who are mopping up the other caps come to my aid.  In that case, the snipe worked great...but it was the strategic thing to do.    

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

[ARMDG]
Members
3,243 posts
1,579 battles

Another thing to note, not every BB is going to do well by pushing up.  Sure you have ships like the German line where you do your best work inside of 15km, however then you have the IJN line where many ships are very capable (and often best at) an 18-20km range (exceptions exist).

• Cool 1

Members
17 posts
3,136 battles
1 hour ago, behindurback said:

I mean at best for this nerf is to try and make it dynamic into what tier and what nation you are playing.

Because as Sirus said, different nations have different ranges that they work optimally at.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
9,442 battles

Maybe find the reason BBs don't want to push forward in the first place? There are fundamental reasons in the current game design that strongly discourages advancing and strongly favor sittting back and bow on farm.

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts

There should be an invisible fog or taint like we have in Halloween that takes away your health from 1 and a half blocks near the Borders exclusively for BBs.

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles

Another "players need to be FORCED to play the way I want them to play" thread. :Smile_bajan2:

26 minutes ago, zuga_01 said:

There should be an invisible fog or taint like we have in Halloween that takes away your health from 1 and a half blocks near the Borders exclusively for BBs.

That should apply to ALL classes, not just one. I see players from all 4 classes line riding and camping.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,260 battles
2 hours ago, behindurback said:

Do you not know how to BB? 15 kms is medium range for a BB. For a high tier BB with an experienced captain that is short range. 

Edited by Taichunger

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

You do realize that accuracy decreases with range, which is already modeled in the game's dispersion? A one minute-of-angle rifle is capable of hitting a quarter at 100 yards. The same precision instrument at 800 yards can do no better than hit a pie plate. Increased dispersion with range is why I don't take the range-increasing module on my battleships. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
27 posts
2,450 battles

Battleships sit back and snipe at high tiers because a whole bunch of stuff changes in the game meta from tier 8 up that discourages them from doing anything else. Battleship belt armour becomes relatively crap while bow armour becomes strong, and their rudder shift times at high tiers are appalling so they can't respond quickly to new situations. Getting close makes it easier for another battleship somewhere to start putting flanking fire into you. And then you're dead. It also means you get closer to the destroyers that are now launching massive swarms of high damage torpedos. Turn into the torps to avoid them? You're now exposing your side. Dead.

I don't enjoy sitting back and sniping, but all that means is that I pretty much don't bother playing battleships past tier 7. I really hope at some point wargaming tell historical stats to go screw themselves and start pumping up belt armour to the point where battleships can actually get close to things without dying, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Until then yeah, people are gonna keep sniping.

Modder
399 posts
14 battles

you already dont do much if you are sniping all along. there will be always players who will never learn how to play the game and there is nothing you can do about it. all these so-called countermeasures will just eventually boomerang on us all

Edited by puxflacet

Modder
399 posts
14 battles
5 hours ago, Sirus_Patton said:

Another thing to note, not every BB is going to do well by pushing up.  Sure you have ships like the German line where you do your best work inside of 15km, however then you have the IJN line where many ships are very capable (and often best at) an 18-20km range (exceptions exist).

thats another misinformation this game will seed - that every bb is a brawler. actually all battleships were irl designed to snipe at 12 - 20km range and they were pretty good at it. also their armor worked the best at those ranges. german battleships are pretty much exception

Edited by puxflacet

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Most of the snipers already are punished. Most of these players dont have the skill to snipe. If you look the XP board after the game most of the sniper are botton XP of the team. 

[SIM]
Members
5,365 posts
8,824 battles

Not every battleship is designed to brawl. I know that concept probably blows the minds of people that think that this game only includes five ships (with a hundred different skins), but it's the truth. 

Sign in to follow this