You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Has Tier 10 become the new Tier 2?

Most fun tiers to play  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Most fun tiers to play

2. 2. Most dreaded tiers to play

61 comments in this topic

[-VCW-]
Members
3,330 posts
16,598 battles

Anyone who's been playing high tiers lately knows what I'm talking about. It seems that WG hasn't learned any lessons from WOT.  

I'm finding the best players and team play in tiers 5-7. Also the most fun tiers to play. I'm interested in other player's feedback.  

• Cool 1

Members
378 posts
14,285 battles

i like that at the mid range tiers even the weakest of ships can make a positive contribution. I enjoy playing Indianapolis, Atlanta, Yubari, krysny, and even mikasa, because of the challenges they present as being among the weakest of their tiers. Not much of that available at tier 10. Also my aggressive playstyle did not work very well at tier 10...

[UEFN]
Members
473 posts
4,253 battles

My view is a bit biased as I do not own a tier 10, only 8 and 9 (which are both almost always facing tier 10s), but from my view 5-7 is just a lot more fun. I'm able to contribute far more to the team and have potential to carry much more often, not to mention the massive credit earnings. At tier 8 and 9 I typically lose credits and am immediately murdered by superior tier 10 ships. Also, people appear to get EXTREMELY passive and that does not end well for my extremely aggressive playstyle. And in terms of carriers, the AA at tier 10 is just..... my gosh..... Granted I only have the Lexington with stock planes, but still, it's as if I'm just there to feed the enemy team free plane kills.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,205 posts
24,561 battles

The worst players are in Tier V and below.

The worst meta is Tier VIII-X.

Sure, it sounds great in clubbing the s--t out of the scrubs in Tier V and below until you realize those same scrubs are what allows collapses for your team so that you are down 5 ships lost against 0 enemy losses 6 minutes into the match.

I didn't vote because the tiers to choose as most fun to play are more specific and not applicable to the poll.

Tier VII-VIII, with VIII-X in Division Play, at least for me.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 6

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Low tiers are the most fun if you don't take it too seriously

Mid tiers have the meta that allows good players to have the most influence

High tiers are the pinnacles of the ship lines. If you like taking things to the max, it's for you

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,205 posts
24,561 battles
Just now, pewpewpew42 said:

Low tiers are the most fun if you don't take it too seriously

Mid tiers have the meta that allows good players to have the most influence

High tiers are the pinnacles of the ship lines. If you like taking things to the max, it's for you

There's also this fun part:  If you don't like being bottom tier **at all* you play Tier X.  Next closest is Tier IV but on some uncommon occasions they have to fight against Tier V.

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,659 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

I'm finding the best players and team play in tiers 5-7.

Not sure how you can find them there since the best players in the recent history of the server consistently play high tiers. Stats don't lie. Looks like I posted one guy's stats twice, oh well, paint master race not confirmed.

YGKh6sI.png

Edited by m373x
  • Cool 2

[SQUAD]
Members
9,176 posts
11,680 battles

T1-4 are the most fun.

T5-7 are the most competitive.

T8-10 is...is neither of those things, on a consistent basis, meaning while it can be fun and competitive, it more often than not is 180 degrees away from that.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,176 posts
11,680 battles
17 minutes ago, m373x said:

Not sure how you can find them there since the best players in the recent history of the server consistently play high tiers. Stats don't lie. Looks like I posted one guy's stats twice, oh well, paint master race not confirmed.

YGKh6sI.png

Confirmation bias. Just because it's like that for you and for them doesn't mean it's like that for the base at large.

More, I guarantee those are 3 ship divisions(2 ship, at the very least, but I'm betting it's 3), most likely battleships and or heavy cruisers, which usually get higher damage and higher kill counts, and have a higher survivability. Combine good players with those ship types into a division at the high tiers, you get those results.

The better individual players will more likely than not be found in the middle tiers. The better full team play will more likely than not be found in the middle tiers. The higher damage farming divisions will more likely than not be found at the higher tiers, due to ship damaging potential, and the sheer amount of HP available to be farmed at those tiers. The meta for those tiers is such utter crap that a division of 3 players more often than not will completely dominate a match, as long as that div isn't comprised of total potatoes, and sometimes even then.

I'm not attacking you, just to be clear. :) I'm simply stating the reality. :)

Edited by TheKrimzonDemon
typos ftw
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,205 posts
24,561 battles

Bad Players at low tier make collapses a regular thing.

nZhY2GU.jpg

All the sins of WoWS play are regularly found in low tier.  It's par for the course, you have more inexperienced guys there, so you have to hard carry if you know what you're doing.  But it's still too much to dig out.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RGPLT]
Members
669 posts
17,572 battles

People hate on the high tier meta of passive play but thats how real navy battles work.

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,659 battles
Just now, TheKrimzonDemon said:

I'm simply stating the reality. :)

Let's see:

I guarantee

I'm betting

most likely

more likely than not

more likely than not

more likely than not

more often than not

No evidence to back up your claims whatsoever. At least hove some decency to back up your claims with anything when opposing someone's statement. Not attacking you btw, simply giving you an advice.

• Cool 3

[W_H_S]
Members
591 posts
17,295 battles

I don't know if I find it as the tier that is issue but the times of day and day of the week. The meta seems to change with the time of day. An example is in Roon I can only play during the week and before 9pm or I just get my butt handed to me because it's one of my weaker ships (just have a hard time making her work) were Shima I can play whenever. The other thing I tend to see is current events impacting it. If Ranked is tier 6 you will see a ton of lower skilled players playing tier 6 trying to get ready for the season or like now with tier 10 Clan Battles. 

All honesty I don't worry too much about it. I've had nights that I couldn't win for anything at any tier, it's just how things happen sometimes. Maybe it's a stoke of bad luck, maybe I'm off my game or simply a flood of Unicum on the server at the time? My best advise is play what you want to play and if you are struggling look at you own game play, play your best, if you continue to lose then come back tomorrow. 

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
850 posts
7,051 battles
55 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Confirmation bias. Just because it's like that for you and for them doesn't mean it's like that for the base at large.

More, I guarantee those are 3 ship divisions(2 ship, at the very least, but I'm betting it's 3), most likely battleships and or heavy cruisers, which usually get higher damage and higher kill counts, and have a higher survivability. Combine good players with those ship types into a division at the high tiers, you get those results.

The better individual players will more likely than not be found in the middle tiers. The better full team play will more likely than not be found in the middle tiers. The higher damage farming divisions will more likely than not be found at the higher tiers, due to ship damaging potential, and the sheer amount of HP available to be farmed at those tiers. The meta for those tiers is such utter crap that a division of 3 players more often than not will completely dominate a match, as long as that div isn't comprised of total potatoes, and sometimes even then.

I'm not attacking you, just to be clear. :) I'm simply stating the reality. :)

Where does all this knowledge come from Mr 40 Random Battles above Tier 7 (and none Tier IX or X)?

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,168 posts
16,404 battles

Have you guys ever in a high tier game where everyone knew what to do? Before the 6.12

x2 Yamato, 1 cruiser x2 dd pushing together down and wipe out ships in each cap

It was the most entertaining match ever. Then RNGod will put you in game where, every one hiding behind island, Yamato/Izumo REVERSING, even you beg and ask for support LOL

So it a game, let the team know your intention and push together 

Members
83 posts
5,196 battles

If you make it to tiers 8-10, playing at tiers 1-4 is the best becuase of seal clubbing. Tier 6 is the first taste of higher tier meta that players will feel, while tier 7 is a bridge between high skill tier 8-10 game play. Tier 7 has modern, well performing ships that are fun to play without unicum high tier dummies that ruin the game (as long as you don't get upteired too hard). 

[W_H_S]
Members
591 posts
17,295 battles
2 minutes ago, GBean17 said:

If you make it to tiers 8-10, playing at tiers 1-4 is the best becuase of seal clubbing. Tier 6 is the first taste of higher tier meta that players will feel, while tier 7 is a bridge between high skill tier 8-10 game play. Tier 7 has modern, well performing ships that are fun to play without unicum high tier dummies that ruin the game (as long as you don't get upteired too hard). 

Like this??

59f6508bb10ec_Lastgame.thumb.jpg.e9f333a6ef1f77612651a6d12c897d0e.jpg

Members
691 posts
7,037 battles

The higher tiers, especially with the meta we have here on NA, is very long range and temperamental. Ships have a lot of potential damage output, and are generally less forgiving than in the tiers 5-7 range. For this reason it can be very stressful, and results can become far less consistent. People make small mistakes at the beginning, RNGeezus gives the word, and suddenly the game is heavily skewed towards one team. Hence the perception that there are all these idiots running around high tiers getting deleted early on and dooming my team and there is nothing I can do and HOW THE [EDITED] DO I STILL HAVE A 50% WR IN MY DEMOINES DESPITE DOING 30% MORE DAMAGE THAN THE AVERAGE ARRGGHHHH!!! CURSED TEAMS!

By contrast, ships in the tier 5-7 range aren't much slower, aren't much less-well armoured, don't have that much less health, don't have worse rudder shift times, but the guns have far more dispersion, the ranges are shorter, the citadel damage is less and there is no radar. On the whole, these tiers are far more predictable and forgiving of mistakes. This might be seen as a negative, but it also means that the risk factor of pushing is far less, people can pull more amazing stunts and get away with it, and things generally are less stressful. There is also the point that players at this tier are less experienced, and will often not notice when you give them a perfect broadside if they're not directly engaged with you.

[BONKS]
Beta Testers
1,661 posts
7,063 battles

Tier 7 is the best tier at the moment due to how good the ships are and how the MM changes. If MM rules change then it will be a different tier.

T9/t10 are okay, but not as fun.

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

I find mid tier matches to be a little more fun than high tier, due to IMHO increased ship range and lethality. High tier ships generally have higher gun/torp ranges and increased accuracy, while the maps aren't always significantly larger...meaning aggressive play and mistakes are more frequently punished resulting in a risk averse, camper-heavy meta.

I do like however that player skill levels tend to be better at high tier.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,910 posts
12,318 battles
19 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

The higher tiers, especially with the meta we have here on NA, is very long range and temperamental. Ships have a lot of potential damage output, and are generally less forgiving than in the tiers 5-7 range. For this reason it can be very stressful, and results can become far less consistent. People make small mistakes at the beginning, RNGeezus gives the word, and suddenly the game is heavily skewed towards one team. Hence the perception that there are all these idiots running around high tiers getting deleted early on and dooming my team and there is nothing I can do and HOW THE [EDITED] DO I STILL HAVE A 50% WR IN MY DEMOINES DESPITE DOING 30% MORE DAMAGE THAN THE AVERAGE ARRGGHHHH!!! CURSED TEAMS!

By contrast, ships in the tier 5-7 range aren't much slower, aren't much less-well armoured, don't have that much less health, don't have worse rudder shift times, but the guns have far more dispersion, the ranges are shorter, the citadel damage is less and there is no radar. On the whole, these tiers are far more predictable and forgiving of mistakes. This might be seen as a negative, but it also means that the risk factor of pushing is far less, people can pull more amazing stunts and get away with it, and things generally are less stressful. There is also the point that players at this tier are less experienced, and will often not notice when you give them a perfect broadside if they're not directly engaged with you.

No radar? Beg your pardon but the 5-7 bracket perhaps sees more radar than their tier8 counterparts due to the ocean of radar equipped premium ships; not to mention, the 5-7 bracket sees the greatest disparity in consumables and capabilities between classes of ships. 

IMO the reason so many like tier seven is because tier seven ships have a significantly greater edge over tier 5s than tier10s over tier 8s. Ships like Belfast, Saipan Scharnhorst just to name a few.

You don't have that at tier8-10. Thus is why I voted the best tier is tier ten, and the most dreaded tier is also tier ten because the equality in capability is often too much for many to understand. A New York cannot do crap against a Nagato; less so than a NC can against a Yamato. Tier seven is the throne of seal clubbing.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Cool 3

[SIM]
Members
5,384 posts
8,890 battles

I find tier VIII-X to be the most frustrating. Defeatism and lemming trains are, in my personal experience, the most common in that tier bracket. It doesn't mean that the players are statistically bad, and it's only the observation of a single person, but Tier X definitely doesn't feel great. Conversely, Tier V-VII is a mixed bag, that seems to trend more positively. 

[-VCW-]
Members
3,330 posts
16,598 battles

What I'm finding in the past few months is that in my tier 8-10 (although in tier 8 I'm bottom tier 80% of the time)battles, 50% of my team is wiped out before the four minute mark on a regular bases. The remaining players are quickly outnumbered and the battle is ultimately lost. It's just a waiting game since it's almost impossible to recover.  
It used to be that you would see these type of battles in tiers 1-2. Experienced players in tiers 8-10 would create a more challenging gameplay. Not anymore. Now it's the same tier 2 unorganized chaotic confusion where most of the team sits at spawn, spreading out in five different directions, many chasing kills and little to no teamwork. Add tier 10 CVs and torp soup (30+ torps in the water at one time) and it's become a very negative experience.

It my opinion what we're seeing is the result of many players who have been rushing up the ranks to acquire as many tier 10 ships as possible now dominate the high tier battles. 

Edited by STINKWEED_