Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Vagitron

“Special” smoke upgrade

6 comments in this topic

Members
119 posts
2,622 battles

I was just curious, with the removal of the Perth, what ships are the smoke upgrade that increases action time useful for? I don’t really have any complaints so far about the changes to smoke, but should this upgrade maybe be looked at for a change? Is it going to be more desirable with the changes to UK cruiser smoke? It doesn’t currently seem to be desirable on any of the destroyer/cruiser lines except for the Perth. 

Just opening a discussion, not complaining (I have five of them gathering dust). 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles
17 minutes ago, umpdump said:

I was just curious, with the removal of the Perth

Perth has not been removed. They've just stopped selling it for now.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Like Lert said, the Perth hasn't been removed.

But based on some charts made up by another forum poster, the smoke doesn't seem to really benefit any other ship like it does with the Perth.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Yeah it's a weird mod, I guess there are probably situational uses on other RN cruisers if you want to have a laugh in random battles, but it's certainly not optimal.

Members
119 posts
2,622 battles

Sorry, I was assuming an inference could be made regarding removal from the shop or wherever it was last sold since we all read the same news, regardless it’s largely unavailable to those who don’t have it outside of a supercontainer. Beside that point, I was more curious if WG had considered any changes to the smoke generator module since it’s much less than optimal for anything other than the Perth (and maybe not even on the Perth). 

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,112 battles

Increased action time for smoke makes a difference to the entire RN CA line.

It's much less likely to glide out of a smoke screen when being set.  The very short action time and bad deceleration of RN CAs means that it's easy to hit the Smoke just a fraction too soon, and end up gliding to a stop just outside the screen.  Having to slow down significantly first (basically to 15knots) means your a sitting duck for anyone firing at you, and makes using smoke as a "get undetected" method of escape much less useful.

Even for those who manage this braking properly, having the larger action time creates a bigger screen, which for RN CAs, give them significantly more total area to move around in.

Sign in to follow this