You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MzFortune2001

Tactics IJN Fubuki

17 comments in this topic

Members
566 posts
2,155 battles

Trying to learn tactic for operating IJN Fubuki, I am a terbile player. Hoping to improve to awful and strive for inadequate. I seem to always be where I get found and sunk early. score poorly and while I admit it is still really fun. It frustrates teams I am on. so help is needed and desired. 

59f5483b1786e_images(1).png.241db790256433717be355cb294c904f.png

[KOHAI]
Members
1,694 posts
6,020 battles
Just now, MzFortune58 said:

Trying to learn tactic for operating IJN Fubuki, I am a terbile player. Hoping to improve to awful and strive for inadequate. I seem to always be where I get found and sunk early. score poorly and while I admit it is still really fun. It frustrates teams I am on. so help is needed and desired. 

59f5483b1786e_images(1).png.241db790256433717be355cb294c904f.png

Well Miki San, I'm glad you asked, Fubuki is best used as a torpedo boat with great guns. essentially ignore cap points early on, trust me, you can cap later, instead, stay away from the enemy, and instead stay at about 7-10 km away from the enemy BBs. The best thing to do is to get away from where enemy DDs are likely to be, and find distracted (read; shooting at things) BB drivers, then launch torps, if your torps miss, then they probably know you are there, pull back to about 9km and begin shooting (but only if there are no cruisers or DDs around), and dodging when they fire at you, continue to fire torpedo sets at the enemy BBs, trying to guess how they will maneuver. after the enemies on that team are dead/falling back, then you can cap. also, Miki san, if there is an enemy cruiser, try to kill it with torpedoes first, it will make your life much easier if he runs into them and dies. 

Members
566 posts
2,155 battles
1 minute ago, megadeux said:

Well Miki San, I'm glad you asked, Fubuki is best used as a torpedo boat with great guns. essentially ignore cap points early on, trust me, you can cap later, instead, stay away from the enemy, and instead stay at about 7-10 km away from the enemy BBs. The best thing to do is to get away from where enemy DDs are likely to be, and find distracted (read; shooting at things) BB drivers, then launch torps, if your torps miss, then they probably know you are there, pull back to about 9km and begin shooting (but only if there are no cruisers or DDs around), and dodging when they fire at you, continue to fire torpedo sets at the enemy BBs, trying to guess how they will maneuver. after the enemies on that team are dead/falling back, then you can cap. also, Miki san, if there is an enemy cruiser, try to kill it with torpedoes first, it will make your life much easier if he runs into them and dies. 

Many thank yous, my friend. With Fubuki should you ever try caping? or just stay back and strike. 

[KOHAI]
Members
1,694 posts
6,020 battles

You can cap, but only after everything has been scared away from the cap.

• Cool 1

Members
566 posts
2,155 battles

Many thank yous, my friend. With Fubuki should you ever try caping? or just stay back and strike. 

Playstyle sounds intriguing and will try it in a few minutes. Thank you again, Mr. Megaduex. 

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,412 posts
15,513 battles

When you have advanced to the point where you get access to tier VIII ships and you like a challenge, complete the Honored Service campaign for a varaint Fubuki, the Shinonome. Torpedoes lose some range, but there is an extra gun turret, so there is a varied play style. It requires some time and dedication to get, but few players own the Shinonome. 

Edited by LancerUlysses
  • Cool 1

Members
483 posts
4,154 battles

Shoot torpedo.  Never brawl unless you're against a lower tiered IJN DD and/or enemy is very low HP.  Stay out of detection radius, fire torps, hold your fire against BBs, and farm straightline BBs.  

Members
566 posts
2,155 battles

3 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

When you have advanced to the point where you get access to tier VIII ships and you like a challenge, complete the Honored Service campaign for a varaint Fubuki, the Shinonome. Torpedoes lose some range, but there is an extra gun turret, so there is a varied play style. It requires some time and dedication to get, but few players own the Shinonome. 

Thank you, I hope to move up both lines in IJN. I will try that when I achieve this ship.

1 minute ago, Slntreaper said:

Shoot torpedo.  Never brawl unless you're against a lower tiered IJN DD and/or enemy is very low HP.  Stay out of detection radius, fire torps, hold your fire against BBs, and farm straightline BBs.  

I will attempt to do as you advise. Not to impose but what is (hold fire against BB's and farm straight line BB's.) do not understand what this means. Very sorry. 

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
1,115 posts
28,488 battles

Hey MzFortune58 - The Fubuki is actually a pretty good DD as IJN DDs go - their strengths lie in their stealth & whether you can effectively use their torpedoes.  Here are several rules of thumb when playing IJN DDs:

• Stealth is a key feature of IJN DDs so when you equip the Fubuki and reach a 10 pt captain on her, getting the 4-pt Captains Skill for Concealment is cruicial.  With a 10 pt captain w/ Concealment + Cammo, her detectability drops to 6.1 km.
  • When contesting caps, make sure you do the following:
    • Know your concealment & those of your opponent DDs when contesting caps - this will give you a heads up on if you're likely to be spotted first and you can be better prepared to smoke or run if you have to. When you go in to try for a cap, make sure you have an exit strategy, that will get you into cover or safely away, taking minimal damage.
    • Look at the enemy team's ship lineup and note if there are any radar cruisers (it looks like you're touching on T7+ play which is where this starts becoming an issue).  Early in the game, Radar cruisers (who know what they are doing) will set-up in a position where they can radar into the nearest cap(s) to light up the capping DD for their team.  You need to be cautious about going for certain caps too early in a game if there are Radar Cruisers and suitable hiding places for them.
  • The Fubuki has a fast rudder shift for a DD (2 sec if you get the module upgrade) - even if you chose to take the acceleration upgrade module instead (helps you get started from smoke faster), it's still a 2 & change second rudder shift time.  In other words, it's pretty maneuverable and being able to maneuver well in any DD is key to survival as you try to dodge shots when you're spotted.  To be successful in DDs, developing the skill of shot dodging and kiting away are cruicial
  • One problem w/ the Fubuki is it's speed - at 35 kt (standard), it is the slowest among the T6 DDs.  You may want to boost your speed w/ a speed flag (Sierra Mike) to give yourself a better chance of evading chasing enemy DDs (assuming they also don't have a speed flag mounted).
  • The Fubuki at T6 is a "nerfed" version of the old T8 Fubuki (which was very similar to the current T7 Akatsuki) - primarily in that its gun armament was reduced from 3 turrets (1 in front, 2 in the rear) to 2 turrest (1 in front & 1 in the rear).   This took away a feature of the old Fubuki which allowed you to fire on chasing DDs w/ more guns than they could use to shoot you while showing less of your ship than the enemy DD (the Shinonome - the Fubuki's cousin retains this turret configuration).    Still, don't forget to use your guns if you need to engage another DD - many less experienced players in IJN DDs try to use their torpedoes in DD duels w/o remembering they also have guns.   You do have to be careful tho because:
    • The Fubuki maneuvers faster than your turrets can traverse (even if you configure all your turret rotation optoins).  You need to plan your turret turn as you maneuver (or sometimes use the ship's maneuvering to help speed up bringing your guns to bear.
    • Your gun reload is 8.4 sec which makes it the slowest reload by a fair amount compared to US & Russian DDs and still slower than the German DDs.  If you do have to gunfight w/ a enemy DD, you want to open the distance between yourself and the enemy DD - the farther you are from an enemy DD, the better for you since you have a flatter shell arc than US & German DDs (unfortunately, Russian DDs have the flattest arcs and you are still at a disadvantage in all respects w/ a Russian DD).
  • Finally, the Fubuki's main strength is its torpedo armament.  Make sure you upgrade her Hull & Torpedo as quickly as possible because you want the Type 8 Torps w/ 10 km range.   The other strength of the Fubuki is its 3x3 torpedo launcher configuration.  To be successful w/ the IJN DDs, you'll be developing a skill called "predictive torping".   What this means is, tho you sometimes aim at the grey prediction torp indicator, you often won't as you execute the following tactics (you'll fire a torpedo at where you think the ship is going to be an be less reliant on the aiming indicator):
    • The 3x3 torps lends itself to having a reasonable area denial strategy (luck chucking chokepoints or delaying enemy movement around a flank). 
      • Observe where the enemy is moving and they are being funneled into a chokepoint where you're pretty sure a number of their ships need to pass, you'll fire a full spread thru this gap or area.
      • If an enemy heavy ships look to be pushing a cap - a 3 launcher spread across their path of movement often leads to some ships turning away as they dodge reducing the number of enemies to fight for the cap.
      • If you see an enemy ship being engaged by your team, you can sometimes anticipate that they will want to hug the island and take advantage of its cover, so you can drop your torpedoes next to the island where you think the ship will be moving instead of at the indicator.
    • With the 3x3, I use it to do a "setup torp spread":
      • I fire 1 set along a ship's anticipated movement.  
      • Then, after a slight pause,  I fire the other 2 at either 1 or 2 directions the ship is likely to move in reaction to the initial spread.   A ship will either turn or slow (rarely they might speed up).
        • When a ship is turning, it will slow down, so put your 2nd spread behind the intial spread.
        • When a ship is coming out of a turn, it is gaining speed so aim ahead of the indicator accordingly

For additional information - there are a couple of articles on shooting, maneuvering, strategy/tactics re: various ship types including DDs in WOWS Enjoyment - List of Guides that may be of use to you.

Well, those are some specific suggestions for playing the Fubuki (& DDs in general) - Good Luck!  She's a great ship!

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 2

Members
483 posts
4,154 battles
17 minutes ago, MzFortune58 said:

Thank you, I hope to move up both lines in IJN. I will try that when I achieve this ship.

I will attempt to do as you advise. Not to impose but what is (hold fire against BB's and farm straight line BB's.) do not understand what this means. Very sorry. 

Hold gunfire IE don't shoot main cannons.  They are puny 127 mm guns with a weak 8 s reload.  Instead, your main offensive power lies in your torpedoes.  Aim at BBs that seem to be going in a straight line and are within range. On those guys you have the highest chance of hitting.  

• Cool 1

Members
566 posts
2,155 battles
2 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

Hold gunfire IE don't shoot main cannons.  They are puny 127 mm guns with a weak 8 s reload.  Instead, your main offensive power lies in your torpedoes.  Aim at BBs that seem to be going in a straight line and are within range. On those guys you have the highest chance of hitting.  

Apologies again now that you say like that I should have reasoned that out. Sorry to bother you Mz. Slntreaper.

Picking best target is something I am a failure at but working on getting more alert to what happens near me. 

Members
566 posts
2,155 battles
13 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

Hey MzFortune58 - The Fubuki is actuallya pretty good DD as IJN DDs go - their strengths lie in their stealth & whether you can effectively use their torpedoes.  Here are several rules of thumb when playing IJN DDs:

• Stealth is a key feature of IJN DDs so when you equip the Fubuki and reach a 10 pt captain on her, getting the 4-pt Captains Skill for Concealment is cruicial.  With a 10 pt captain w/ Concealment + Cammo, her detectability drops to 6.1 km.
  • When contesting caps, make sure you do the following:
    • Know your concealment & those of your opponent DDs when contesting caps - this will give you a heads up on if you're likely to be spotted first and you can be better prepared to smoke or run if you have to. When you go in to try for a cap, make sure you have an exit strategy, that will get you into cover or safely away, taking minimal damage.
    • Look at the enemy team's ship lineup and note if there are any radar cruisers (it looks like you're touching on T7+ play which is where this starts becoming an issue).  Early in the game, Radar cruisers (who know what they are doing) will set-up in a position where they can radar into the nearest cap(s) to light up the capping DD for their team.  You need to be cautious about going for certain caps too early in a game if there are Radar Cruisers and suitable hiding places for them.
  • The Fubuki has a fast rudder shift for a DD (2 sec if you get the module upgrade) - even if you chose to take the acceleration upgrade module instead (helps you get started from smoke faster), it's still a 2 & change second rudder shift time.  In other words, it's pretty maneuverable and being able to maneuver well in any DD is key to survival as you try to dodge shots when you're spotted.  To be successful in DDs, developing the skill of shot dodging and kiting away are cruicial
  • One problem w/ the Fubuki is it's speed - at 35 kt (standard), it is the slowest among the T6 DDs.  You may want to boost your speed w/ a speed flag (Sierra Mike) to give yourself a better chance of evading chasing enemy DDs (assuming they also don't have a speed flag mounted).
  • The Fubuki at T6 is a "nerfed" version of the old T8 Fubuki (which was very similar to the current T7 Akatsuki) - primarily in that its gun armament was reduced from 3 turrets (1 in front, 2 in the rear) to 2 turrest (1 in front & 1 in the rear).   This took away a feature of the old Fubuki which allowed you to fire on chasing DDs w/ more guns than they could use to shoot you while showing less of your ship than the enemy DD.   Still, don't forget to use your guns if you need to engage another DD - many less experienced players in IJN DDs try to use their torpedoes in DD duels w/o remembering they also have guns.   You do have to be careful tho because:
    • The Fubuki maneuvers faster than your turrets can traverse (even if you configure all your turret rotation optoins).  You need to plan your turret turn as you maneuver (or sometimes use the ship's maneuvering to help speed up bringing your guns to bear.
    • Your gun reload is 8.4 sec which makes it the slowest reload by a fair amount compared to US & Russian DDs and still slower than the German DDs.  If you do have to gunfight w/ a enemy DD, you want to open the distance between yourself and the enemy DD - the farther you are from an enemy DD, the better for you since you have a flatter shell arc than US & German DDs (unfortunately, Russian DDs have the flattest arcs and you are still at a disadvantage in all respects w/ a Russian DD).
  • Finally, the Fubuki's main strength is its torpedo armament.  Make sure you upgrade her Hull & Torpedo as quickly as possible because you want the Type 8 Torps w/ 10 km range.   The other strength of the Fubuki is its 3x3 torpedo launcher configuration.  To be successful w/ the IJN DDs, you'll be developing a skill called "predictive torping".   What this means is, tho you sometimes aim at the grey prediction torp indicator, you often won't as you execute the following tactics (you'll fire a torpedo at where you think the ship is going to be an be less reliant on the aiming indicator):
    • The 3x3 torps lends itself to having a reasonable area denial strategy (luck chucking chokepoints or delaying enemy movement around a flank). 
      • Observe where the enemy is moving and they are being funneled into a chokepoint where you're pretty sure a number of their ships need to pass, you'll fire a full spread thru this gap or area.
      • If an enemy heavy ships look to be pushing a cap - a 3 launcher spread across their path of movement often leads to some ships turning away as they dodge reducing the number of enemies to fight for the cap.
      • If you see an enemy ship being engaged by your team, you can sometimes anticipate that they will want to hug the island and take advantage of its cover, so you can drop your torpedoes next to the island where you think the ship will be moving instead of at the indicator.
    • With the 3x3, I use it to do a "setup torp spread":
      • I fire 1 set along a ship's anticipated movement.  
      • Then, after a slight pause,  I fire the other 2 at either 1 or 2 directions the ship is likely to move in reaction to the initial spread.   A ship will either turn or slow (rarely they might speed up).
        • When a ship is turning, it will slow down, so put your 2nd spread behind the intial spread.
        • When a ship is coming out of a turn, it is gaining speed so aim ahead of the indicator accordingly

Well, those are some specific suggestions for playing the Fubuki (& DDs in general) - Good Luck!  She's a great ship!

I am going to save this may help to review before game Thank you for all the time it took to help me. I hope to get many games in tomorrow (off Monday) so it's going to be fun learning. Thank you, everyone, for your help, and kindness is very much appreciated and the efforts you put forth for me. 

[PROJX]
Members
1,115 posts
28,488 battles

I am going to save this may help to review before game Thank you for all the time it took to help me. I hope to get many games in tomorrow (off Monday) so it's going to be fun learning. Thank you, everyone, for your help, and kindness is very much appreciated and the efforts you put forth for me. 

I also added a link in the posting to my WOWS Enjoyment - List of Forum Articles and Guides - there are about 15 or so links there to previous articles re: shooting, maneuvering, tactics and strategies for DDs and other ships in WOWS - you may find that useful.

Good luck & hope you enjoy the IJN DD line!

Members
38 posts
150 battles
On 10/28/2017 at 11:24 PM, megadeux said:

Maybe a dumb question: But does that tactic work as well with the lower tier JN DDs? Given the short torpedo ranges I having a devil of a time.

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts
43 minutes ago, Sasha_Foxxx said:

Maybe a dumb question: But does that tactic work as well with the lower tier JN DDs? Given the short torpedo ranges I having a devil of a time.

Low tier IJN DDs have poor guns. But longer range torps than other DDs. And they rely on concealment. Don't play them like fubuki.

• Cool 1

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
152 posts
1,659 battles
Spoiler

I've been enjoying the Fubuki because its a 'sniper' DD. My best games were all spent spotting the enemy for battleship and cruiser captains to fire on and waiting for a good target. Maps with a lot of islands with high mountains are great for this, as you can run to cover and hide if you need to, or stay out in open water to spot.

I almost never use my guns while in the Fubuki. I'll only use them if cornered and I'm about to be sunk, or against heavily damage enemies to help sink them. Your best weapon lies in your torpedoes. They hit terribly hard (harder than any other destroyer at T6) and you get to fire LOTS of them. The captain skill "torpedo armament expert" is all but required.

The 10km-range torpedoes are the only real way to play it, as they also give you the ability to control an area by denying it to the enemy. 'Area Denial' in a Fubuki usually goes something like this: you're alone on a far flank, protecting a capture circle. The rest of your team is far away and cannot help you. Enemy battleship or cruiser comes in to try to take the capture circle. Just dumping torpedoes into the water at them will either score you some hits or convince them to go elsewhere. They have to risk being sunk to get closer. A savvy captain will zigzag and change speed to make your job harder, but they can still wander into a spread of torpedoes on accident. Even one torpedo will make their life harder, especially if their damage control ability isn't available and they start flooding.

All cruisers and all other destroyer lines will wreck your world if they catch you with their guns. It's why enemy destroyers are an excellent target at the start of the game. If you see a smoke screen that your team didn't lay down, dump a full spread into it. No questions, just do it. Don't hang out in your smoke, it's a god way to get killed. I've sunk a dozen enemy destroyers that way, and you have the added bonus of denying the enemy team a spotter for their big guns.

Destroyers are the eyes of the fleet. Sink their destroyers and their ships have to get closer to spot your team, which often makes them easier targets. It's why my clan attacks enemy destroyers with extreme prejudice.

Long story short: stay out of detection range and use your torpedoes. The Fubuki is great for spotting the enemy and denying areas to them. Also, at close-enough range, you can sink anything with a solid broadside. It's why you will be sunk the moment you are spotted, at least if the opposing team is paying attention.

P.S.: You are most welcome to join my clan if you aren't already part of one. [PPS]

Edited by Red_Hammer_Fleet

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,615 battles

One other thing that needs mentioning is that it's important to have the support of some of the members of your team.  This isn't an Isokaze where you sneak off as a lone wolf and do your thing.  Make sure that there is a cruiser or two and maybe a BB close enough behind you so that if you get spotted and have to run, that you have someone to run to (this is particularly helpful with dealing with CV planes).  I've also participated as a Fabuki-Farragut division (VERY scary for the red team).  The Farragut uses her guns to begin contesting the Cap while the Fabuki positions herself just a little bit behind and off to either the starboard or port.  The unsuspecting red dd is focused on the Farragut and doesn't even know that the Fabuki is close so it doesn't see the torps until it's too late.

I've attached my latest result.  Yes, it was in a Co-op battle so take it with a grain of salt, but the bots fought hard.  She is a HP stealing ninja in capable hands.

Fabuki1.JPG