Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LancerUlysses

LancerUlysses Super Hard Navy Trivia #1

10 comments in this topic

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,412 posts
15,584 battles

I am going to periodically put forth questions regarding events and persons in Naval History that I hope folk will enjoy puzzling out. No prizes for this one, just bragging rights.

These are as hard as I can make them, so that finding the answers will be a challenge worth hunting!

#1: Of the five US Navy flag officers lost during World War Two, which two did not receive the Congressional Medal of Honor?

Edited by LancerUlysses
accuracy!

[G-O-W]
1,412 posts
15,584 battles
5 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

My understanding was that there were only 3, and all received the MoH. Kidd, Scott, and Callaghan.

There was another, a Rear Admiral, and commander of a Task Force. One of the most interesting casualties of the war, too. 

Edited by LancerUlysses
precision required

[G-O-W]
1,412 posts
15,584 battles
13 minutes ago, Legion_of_Boom25 said:

Was that John W. Wilcox Jr. who was lost overboard?

Yes! and I like your username, as well. surprisingly little is available online about Rear Admiral Wilcox, considering he was only the commander of Battleships, Atlantic Fleet, at the time of his loss. 

http://www.kilroywashere.org/003-Pages/03-Harm-Wilcox.html

• Cool 1

Members
113 posts
5,864 battles
3 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Yes! and I like your username, as well. surprisingly little is available online about Rear Admiral Wilcox, considering he was only the commander of Battleships, Atlantic Fleet, at the time of his loss. 

http://www.kilroywashere.org/003-Pages/03-Harm-Wilcox.html

Thank you.

Yes, this is a sad story and i'm asking the question on how the heck a Rear Admiral gets overboard...mystified.

[G-O-W]
1,412 posts
15,584 battles

Ha! I missed one, there were five flag officers that the Navy lost.

There were two that did not recieve the CMOH. Can you tell me the other one?

[AKO]
Members
202 posts
1,451 battles
16 hours ago, Legion_of_Boom25 said:

Thank you.

Yes, this is a sad story and i'm asking the question on how the heck a Rear Admiral gets overboard...mystified.

There's a book written by a mess steward who served him aboard the Washington. He hints that there were likely mental issues going on with the Admiral, and he may have committed suicide. 

• Cool 1

Members
113 posts
5,864 battles
1 hour ago, Navynuke99 said:

There's a book written by a mess steward who served him aboard the Washington. He hints that there were likely mental issues going on with the Admiral, and he may have committed suicide. 

Thank you sir for the info.

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,335 battles

I'm coming up with six more admirals that died in World War II.   So I'd like to clarify what does lost during World War II mean?

Kidd - killed in action - Pearl Harbor

Callaghan - killed in action - Guadalcanal

Scott - killed in action - Guadalcanal

Wilcox - lost overboard

Vice Admiral Bristol - died April 27 1942 - died of heart attack as Commander, Support Force, US  Atlantic Fleet

Rear Admiral Cecil - died July 31 1944 - killed in plane crash in between assignments in vicinity of Funafuti

Rear Admiral Chandler - died January 7 1945 - Commander, Cruiser Division 4, died when his flagship USS Louisville came under kamikaze attack. fought fires and performed damage control efforts to save the ship alongside the ship's crew. died from injuries sustained in the attack.

Rear Admiral English - died January 21, 1943 - killed in plane crash as Commander Submarines, Pacific Fleet near Ukiah California.

Rear Admiral Moon - died August 5, 1944 - Commander, Utah Beach landings, after 3 weeks on station off Utah Beach, USS Bayfield proceeded en route to Naples for preparation of landings in southern France, committed suicide by .45 cal pistol

Rear Admiral Mullinnix - MIA November 24, 1943 after USS Liscomb Bay (CVE-56) torpedoed and sunk off Makin Island in the Gilberts, declared dead in 1944. 

So I'm guessing Rear Admiral Chandler is the 5th admiral you're referring to.

Edited to add one more - more as an interesting side to your second question rather than another admiral the Navy lost in World War II:

Admiral Wiley - commanded USS Wyoming at Scapa Flow when he was part of the 6th Battle Squadron of the British Grand Fleet when it accepted the surrender of the German High Seas Fleet.  Promoted to Admiral in 1927, retired in 1929 after 40 years of service.  Was chairman of the Maritime Commission, when he was recalled to active duty in 1941, heading the Navy Board of Production Awards, retired again on January 2, 1943, died May 20, 1943.

Edited by wtfovr
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this