You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kevik70

Kevik's Genuinely Helpful Thread from a [Unicorn!]

84 comments in this topic

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles

So the forums have been filled with a good deal of Saltiness yesterday and I wanted to counterbalance some of it by making a genuinely helpful thread.

Basically, ask me anything about the game that you want answers to that I might be able to provide, like "What ships do you think are best for Clan Wars" or "Why do people keep telling me not to go to A on Islands of Ice" things like that. I may not be the best source to answer much of what you come up with but I can at least help out. Hopefully over the course of this thread we can all learn some new things that will help everyone out. I promise that I will answer any question to the best of my ability with as little trolling as possible, at least for the duration of this thread. 

Disclaimer Please note that if your question is troll then my sarcasm will return briefly in response, also any comments I make outside of this thread and not restricted in anyway  beyond the rules of the forum. Thank you for understanding I hope.

A few simple rules before I let people get carried away:

1. Please follow all forum rules.

2. Honest questions get honest responses, troll questions get ignored or trolled back. (Seriously, your trolling has no effect on me but I will enjoy a good laugh)

3. I will not comment on behalf of any fellow clan members or answer any questions about them.

4. I will answer questions on clan wars but only in a general sense. (Nice try but I'm not giving our strats away :Smile-_tongue:)

5. Cats are an acceptable question. 

Spoiler

Here is my cat, aww isn't she cute.

20170829_122444.thumb.jpg.cc6b6f07f288923c7c6cd7e835022754.jpg

6. I'll answer questions whenever I can, but please note I have a real life too so I may not always be around to respond.

7. If others want to pitch in (honestly) in answering any questions please feel free to do so. (I don't know everything so help is appreciated)

8. Feel free to join any discussion that occurs as a result of this thread. (Some discussions may warrant starting a new thread, if only to avoid getting too off topic here. Except Cats, they can stay)

9. I will not offer protection from any of my fellow clan members that frequent these forums, if you earn their ire you are on your own.

INF. And what ever other rules I can't think of now but I'm sure I'll regret not making later. 

Welp ask away. :Smile_honoring:

I am seriously most likely going to regret doing this, but I am slightly hopeful.

PS: If this goes somewhat well I may do a genuinely unhelpful thread that will be nothing but trolling as opposed to almost no trolling.

• Cool 10

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,703 posts
19,886 battles

Honest question ...

Spoiler

Would you ship your cat and mine.

6rhYABz.jpg

Also, +1 for a good thread with great intentions.

• Cool 2

[-ARM-]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
11,349 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Honest question ...

Hide contents

6rhYABz.jpg

Careful, that kitty looks like a gold digger.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Henri in clan wars. How viable is she? 

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Honest question ...

Hide contents

6rhYABz.jpg

Also, +1 for a good thread with great intentions.

Aww kitty. Perhaps but I'd have to get to know him first to see if he is the kind of person I want hanging around my fluff ball.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles
1 minute ago, RivertheRoyal said:

Henri in clan wars. How viable is she? 

Very good flanking ship due to her speed, but lacks some of the staying power and utility that other ships of her type can provide. Probably best used in pairs.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,703 posts
19,886 battles

Actual question:

What's your opinion of the recent meta shift towards HE / fire spam? Do you believe it's an answer to the bow-on meta for BBs? What would you suggest as a fundamental change to counter the camping meta?

[SYN]
Members
15,875 posts
12,803 battles

Why does my Algerie keep losing its rudder?

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles
2 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

@Kevik70 What ship breakdown do you guys run in clan wars?  Meaning, how many DD or CA do you run in a game?

We ran into them our very first game, where they were running 6 Moskva's and a Conquerer. I don't know if they've continued doing this at the higher leagues, or it was just a move to crush the lesser clans underfoot. 

Now, my clan's not as famous as SALTY, but we aren't bad. Our most successful set up is either a GK or Montana as the BB, two Zaos, one Moskva, one DM, and two DDs—Gearing being the most common, then Z-52. 

[NSEW]
Members
2,109 posts
11,343 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Actual question:

What's your opinion of the recent meta shift towards HE / fire spam? Do you believe it's an answer to the bow-on meta for BBs? What would you suggest as a fundamental change to counter the camping meta?

This (my post, not what you said) may be a regarded as 'stupid' (add other synonyms here), and silly...

What about smaller maps? Forcing the players to actually maneuver rather than the bow-on meta. Speaking of, a design in maps where it discourages the bow-on meta would solve it on a broader (simpler) level? (vs changing other many variables) just thinking out loud here...

Edited by LowSpeed_US

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Actual question:

Not directed at me, but I'll still give my $.02.

Coming from a guy who has 50% of his battles in BB's, a large reason people camp is due to HE/fire spam.  I'm an extremely aggressive player who preaches angles and WASD hacks.  The only real issues I have is with the constant HE spam I face.  Damage over time just simply is too punishing if you have 2-3 fire breathing ships shooting at you, and due to the poor maneuverability in a BB, the second you push forward you're committed to the push, even if you get focused.  

I understand that 2-3 ships should always kill a lone ship, but its the thought that everyone sees BBs as hp pinatas and spams them down first that leads to the issues.  

Regarding the HE meta, I think its a terrible decision.  It dumbs down the game, in both positioning, and decision making.  Why bother switching to AP when sure, you have far higher alpha, but it's unreliable and there are counters for it.  HE is the "easy mode" where there is practically no counter.  GK bow in at 20Km?  No problem, spam him with a few salvos of HE and light a few fires and he'll burn away.  If there was some sort of a counter (other than DCP, which seems to always be on cool-down now), I'd have no problem with it.  

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles
28 minutes ago, Lert said:

Actual question:

I quite enjoy playing cruiser and one of my main sources of damage is by using HE/ Fire Spam on Battleships. I think the current balance between cruisers and BBs is quite fair especially considering all the captain skills and upgrades that can be used. BBs seriously need to learn how to better use DCP. That being said the Conq puts that balance well out of wack and hightly unfair that a bb can perform so well by using HE only.

For the second part I am not entirely sure much can be done to change camping as the problem lies within the skill base of the player and not any particular game mechanic. I mean besides turning every map into an open close quarters fight, there will always be camping regardless of the consequences. 

Actually I got an idea, dramatically increase shell accuracy/ reduce dispersion against ships that are stationary/ moving slow or reversing. That way if you try to bow camp you end up getting hit far more than if you were moving.

• Cool 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles
9 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

@Kevik70 What ship breakdown do you guys run in clan wars?  Meaning, how many DD or CA do you run in a game?

That would be giving away our starts yo. :Smile-_tongue: But basically we like having lots of cruisers

2 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Which DDs are viable and which do you think are not? (for CBs)

Best DDs would be Gearing and Shima for stealth/ torpedo range, worst are Groz (no AA needed), Khab (Big target with huge spotting range), and Z-52 (Poor smoke and not good enough torps)

2 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Why does my Algerie keep losing its rudder?

It is because players don't adjust enough for your speed so they end up hitting the rear of your ship as opposed to your mid-ship. Maybe run Last Stand to help out in that regard.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles
8 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

This may be a regarded as 'stupid' (add other synonyms here), and silly...

What about smaller maps? Forcing the players to actually maneuver rather than the bow-on meta. Speaking of, a design in maps where it discourages the bow-on meta would solve it on a broader (simpler) level? (vs changing other many variables) just thinking out loud here...

I was thinking something similar but another idea is to increase accuracy/ reduce dispersion against stopped and slow moving ships. I mean it sorta makes sense.

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
4 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

That would be giving away our starts yo. :Smile-_tongue: But basically we like having lots of cruisers

Then last question.  Do you guys run any DD's?

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles
Just now, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Then last question.  Do you guys run any DD's?

We have run DDs in CBs :Smile-_tongue: I am sure there are some twitch feeds from our opponents that will show you want we like to do but I will not comment on them here in anything more than a general sense.

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
Just now, Kevik70 said:

We have run DDs in CBs :Smile-_tongue: I am sure there are some twitch feeds from our opponents that will show you want we like to do but I will not comment on them here in anything more than a general sense.

I was already aware of the whole Conq/ 6 Moskva setup, but just wanted to see if you guys have changed anything.  My clan is lacking players right now so we've only gotten 2 battles in.  Amazing how it seems like we always have 6 people and never any more :Smile_sceptic:

[NSEW]
Members
2,109 posts
11,343 battles
6 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

I was thinking something similar but another idea is to increase accuracy/ reduce dispersion against stopped and slow moving ships. I mean it sorta makes sense.

Absolutely a good idea! A reduction of dispersion when a ship is under certain knots either direction. I really like this idea.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,325 battles
Just now, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I was already aware of the whole Conq/ 6 Moskva setup, but just wanted to see if you guys have changed anything.  My clan is lacking players right now so we've only gotten 2 battles in.  Amazing how it seems like we always have 6 people and never any more :Smile_sceptic:

The key to a good setup is to be flexible and to change things up when needed. If we always ran the same thing then our opponents would eventually come up with ways to counter. I remember we created a whole new strat at the last second just so we didn't do the same thing against a team that we just played a few battles before.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,703 posts
19,886 battles
1 minute ago, LowSpeed_US said:

A reduction of dispersion when a ship is under certain knots either direction.

There would have to be more to it than 'a certain knots'. There are fast and slow ships. 1/2 speed for one ship is 1/4 for another.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

Clan war question 

ive been in a Clan for some time and collected a fair amount of oil

this may be a dumb question how do you do clan battles ?

every time I look no battles happeng

are there specific days hours that they happen,I work so my time is limited