You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sasha_Foxxx

Best learning tier

28 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
150 battles

So far I'm getting the hang of things. I was wondering what was the best "learning" tier? I know in games like this things escalate quickly! I have my fist tier 4, the Karlsruhe. I'm getting close the the Phoenix too (although stat-wise she does not look impressive.) Is this a good tier to play for a while and learn more mechanics? Or should I go onto tier 5 and stay there for a while? 

Thanks a bunch!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,700 posts
19,874 battles

Tier 5 is the first 'big boy' tier, where you no longer have protected matchmaker. In a tier 4 you'll see tier 5 at most. In a tier 5 you'll see tier 7 a lot. You'll also start running into tier 6+ carriers, which can manual drop their bombs and torpedoes, making them more dangerous than tier 4 and 5 carriers.

Though tier 5 and above has its own lessons which are important to learn, there is nothing wrong with staying at tier 4 for a while and learning the basics, like armor angling, consumable usage, map awareness, etc.

• Cool 7

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,020 battles

Understanding the basics and game mechanics is always a good option. There are plenty of ships at T4 to do that, T5 as well. But you will start seeing bigger and badder opponents at T5 as Lert said. 

But at the same time, it helps you to learn how to play, and how not to play a ship as well.

And as always feel free to ask us here on the forums, we'll always be ready to help. 

Fair winds and following season captain! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

I agree with Lert and Doomlock. T4 is a safe place with the MM to get real comfortable and a good place to hang out while you get comfortable. But the game really starts at t5, and it can be a shcok. CVs become more capable, no more protected MM, and IMO ships of all types really start coming into their own and getting real dangerous. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

T4.  once you hit t5 you're in the deep end of the pool.  Do your learning where it's comfortable.  Camp out at T4 for a while and get used to the ships that are there.  If you push straight into T5 you're going to get thumped and not have nearly as much fun.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,677 posts
35,855 battles

As said, do not be in a hurry to get to T5+

Stay at T4 till comfortable fighting T5s often

Explore different lines and types/classes.

Find what you like, be it BBs, CLs (no CAs till T5 and only one : Furutaka), CVs, or DDs (either gunboats or stealth torp boats at this tier).

Ask questions. Division if possible with people that are more experienced, and follow their lead. Watch how-to videos from the established YouTube contributors.

Most experienced players keep ships they like at most tiers so T4 is not an issue. Many of us will be happy to division and use voice chat, if you have mic, to guide in you in battle, Just ask.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
10,652 battles

I agree that Tier 4 is a great place to do some learning.  Also, I suggest that you try several different lines and types of ships up to Tier 4 as each line and class is different, and teaches different skills and lessons.  For what it may be worth, I found Karlsruhe to be the weakest cruiser in the German line, and the weakest overall cruiser at Tier 4.  Phoenix was OK, but the strong ones for me were Svietlana and Kuma.  There are several very strong DDs at Tier 4 representing all styles, so that is a good place to learn DD basics as well.  I also enjoyed all of the Tier 4 battleships.  Good luck, and feel free to ping us for more info.

[FACT]
[FACT]
Members
24 posts
28,236 battles

You can always play co-op games to get a feel for new ships. Tier 5 and above should be playable for you. Great place to learn. Grab a premium ship and have fun.

[AFW-]
[AFW-]
Members
296 posts
14,574 battles

i felt t6 was the key tier. u make decent coin and the ships are great 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Tier 5 is the first 'big boy' tier, where you no longer have protected matchmaker. In a tier 4 you'll see tier 5 at most. In a tier 5 you'll see tier 7 a lot. You'll also start running into tier 6+ carriers, which can manual drop their bombs and torpedoes, making them more dangerous than tier 4 and 5 carriers.

Though tier 5 and above has its own lessons which are important to learn, there is nothing wrong with staying at tier 4 for a while and learning the basics, like armor angling, consumable usage, map awareness, etc.

This, before the last MM change I would have said tier 3 which I still think is a better tier to learn to play in three tier matches. Now though the real learning happens in tier 5, just learn to be patient and pick your fights carefully although some times all you can do is die valiantly. Ironically the tier 5 W/R seem to be on par with what it was before the MM change but the high percentage of up tiered matches does grind on the player.

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles

Find some friends and division for a few at tier 5. Get the modules first to help, a stock vehicle with no modules and a 0-point captain leaves you very vulnerable to quick deletion. Been there, done that.

Also, try to get a few victories early so you can purchase upgraded hulls for greater hit points to help you stay in the game. Folks here are quick to recognize stock hull hit points and focus down hard on them.

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,558 battles

Something to consider is many combat missions have a minimum of Tier IV, so there will be some experienced players looking for easy kills and wins. I feel you get fewer experienced players looking to beat up on beginners at Tier III on a regular basis.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

The Phoenix is pretty good after it's fully upgraded.

Stock, that 3 gun broadside is a joke. 

Members
38 posts
150 battles
14 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

I would hope. Just looking at the stats on it make think it is a downgrade from the St. Louis. But maybe I am misreading something.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
8 minutes ago, Sasha_Foxxx said:

I would hope. Just looking at the stats on it make think it is a downgrade from the St. Louis. But maybe I am misreading something.

The Phoenix is faster and more agile. It's kind of like the American line version of the Tenryu. More guns than the Tenryu fully upgraded but American short range torpedoes. It's a fun ship. 

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
961 posts
10,084 battles
On 10/28/2017 at 11:53 AM, Sasha_Foxxx said:

So far I'm getting the hang of things. I was wondering what was the best "learning" tier? I know in games like this things escalate quickly! I have my fist tier 4, the Karlsruhe. I'm getting close the the Phoenix too (although stat-wise she does not look impressive.) Is this a good tier to play for a while and learn more mechanics? Or should I go onto tier 5 and stay there for a while? 

Thanks a bunch!

I spent an absurd amount of time at T5 in the Konig because I potato'd so hard...once I was only potato'ing occasionally I moved on to T6...then got a taste of T8 MM, annnn potato'd MORE. If you're like me and like variety and couldn't commit to one line/nation, grind multiple lines to T5&6. After T7 the grinds get a lot longer so knowing if you like the "flavor" helps push forward. I'd finish grinding the Konigsberg ASAP, I had a ton of fun in that thing.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
On 10/28/2017 at 1:49 PM, Apewar said:

i felt t6 was the key tier. u make decent coin and the ships are great 

To be honest, T6 may be the most balanced tier in this game as a whole.

[IBAD]
Members
77 posts
6,039 battles

IMO, if u aim for high tier battle, t8 is just the start. Things changed quite a lot when it hit t8

Members
4,203 posts
8,877 battles
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Lert said:

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, Doomlock said:

Understanding the basics and game mechanics is always a good option. There are plenty of ships at T4 to do that, T5 as well. But you will start seeing bigger and badder opponents at T5 as Lert said. 

But at the same time, it helps you to learn how to play, and how not to play a ship as well.

And as always feel free to ask us here on the forums, we'll always be ready to help. 

Fair winds and following season captain! :Smile_honoring:

Yes they are right Sasha_Foxxx, and I learned that the hard way I rush to get to Tier 7 and when I did get there I got slapped BAD! I thought I knew what I was doing I now know that was a joke.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:43 PM, Vekta408 said:

This is true too, once you get upgraded she is fun little ship.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles

Actually there is no single learning tier but I would say that 3 - 6 is where you really earn your chops.

[WALET]
Members
7 posts

Tiers 4-6 is where I have the most fun. The best thing to do is to find a good group of people to play with and hook up with them on discord or TeamSpeak. It really improves the overall experience especially if playing with experienced players who know the maps and know how to play. 

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles
On 10/29/2017 at 2:41 PM, Sasha_Foxxx said:

It's more difficult to play than St Louis, certainly.  However, she teaches you important skills, and once you master the tools she's given, she'll rip a St Louis to shreds.  That said, when I first got Phoenix, I hated the ship with a passion.  It took me a long time to really warm up to the Phoenix, but now she's one of very few silver ships that I have kept.

• Cool 1