Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

CV trouble in the Halloween operation...

32 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,483 battles

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the torpedo drop cones against the backdrop of the filth? Or is it just me?

Even after experimenting with the colorblindness filters, the lack of contrast is so bad it's almost impossible even to make AUTO drops, because I have no real idea what direction the cone is facing, other that judging by the attack adjustment tab, which I can see..

Manual drops are basically a no go, unless something is outside the filth...

The frustration and snark is strong with this one...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles

It's hard but doable.  I was manual dropping fine within a couple of minutes.

Beta Testers
29 posts
4,341 battles

I had some problems with it and I admit I still do have problems trying to get the manual drops down in the filth veil. I'm sure it just takes getting used to but the fact that it cannot be seen because it matches the same color as the filth fog is frustrating. It would have been nice to tone down the intensity of the fog just enough to make out the guild lines to use the manual drops. Forget DB manual drop... DX

[SYN]
Members
15,876 posts
12,803 battles

You don't even have to manual drop, since the torps will sink a cruiser with 3 hits.

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,483 battles
15 minutes ago, _V12 said:

It's hard but doable.  I was manual dropping fine within a couple of minutes.

It's not an issue of color blindness; I can see colors; I just have a hard time seeing differing (and mixed up/overlapping) shades of the same color.

Those eye tests you take with all the dots where you're supposed to see numbers? All I see are dots; I can't see the numbers.

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It's not an issue of color blindness; I can see colors; I just have a hard time seeing differing (and mixed up/overlapping) shades of the same color.

Those eye tests you take with all the dots where you're supposed to see numbers? All I see are dots; I can't see the numbers.

It's not you.  Nobody can see it.  It's a feature.

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
101 posts
6,702 battles
57 minutes ago, _V12 said:

It's not you.  Nobody can see it.  It's a feature.

If it were intended as a feature why would they not just remove manual drops ala T4/5 regular CVs?

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles

It wasn't intended to make the drops impossible, only very difficult.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

I think that WG colored the Filth green for a purpose. Just as players are not supposed to get a good view of ships in the Filth from the outside, neither are CV players supposed to easily manually drop on ships in it. I'm sure that someone will eventually create a mod that changes the drop indicators to, say, red and thus give those CV players who use the hack a decided advantage.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,194 posts
12,101 battles

Not just you, the only possible solution is to click a target or from the start control the planes from the squadron view (riding along). I do believe in that view because your inside the filth you can actually see the marker for adjustments and all. Otherwise it's as you said, knowing where the adjustment markers are and for manual drops knowing the cone and the angle your approaching.

Clan Supertest Coordinator
1,817 posts
8,749 battles

it's tricky but still quite doable if you have some experience in CV. besides they have ridiculous speed so even if your drop isn't perfect, you will hit several torpedoes

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,483 battles
6 hours ago, Treediagram said:

it's tricky but still quite doable if you have some experience in CV. besides they have ridiculous speed so even if your drop isn't perfect, you will hit several torpedoes

Oh; I'm racking up damage in the CV; others are in other ships...

All I see though is yet another example of an Operation, (much like the so-called 'Daily Missions' in WoT,) that is 'unicums only need apply.'

Must be nice being perfect.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I can't even get in with the CV. Every time I queue up, there are 20 CVs in the queue and nothing else. I'm glad to see interest in CVs rise, but man, must be a lot of people's first time in one.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,339 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Oh; I'm racking up damage in the CV; others are in other ships...

All I see though is yet another example of an Operation, (much like the so-called 'Daily Missions' in WoT,) that is 'unicums only need apply.'

Must be nice being perfect.

Its quite hard, typically I focused on targets that were outside the filth, like the group that spawns behind the first tower. I also like to wreck the first way of zikasas So I have some damage that will make my super-team heal more effective. Otherwise I just start auto dropping and hope I hit something.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
8 hours ago, Dinger83 said:

If it were intended as a feature why would they not just remove manual drops ala T4/5 regular CVs?

Because the filth is supposed to disadvantage you, removing manual drops would extend that particular disadvantage outside the filth.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
36 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Its quite hard, typically I focused on targets that were outside the filth, like the group that spawns behind the first tower. I also like to wreck the first way of zikasas So I have some damage that will make my super-team heal more effective. Otherwise I just start auto dropping and hope I hit something.

Same here. I don't even play CVs, (probably less than 50 combined Langley/Hosho battles lol) but with auto drops on relevant targets, and (at least attempted) proper use of the disable, I was able to make a meaningful contribution towards a 2-star. 

Might have done better if I had remembered to strafe lol, I ran out of bombers with about 3 minutes left.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
41 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I can't even get in with the CV. Every time I queue up, there are 20 CVs in the queue and nothing else. I'm glad to see interest in CVs rise, but man, must be a lot of people's first time in one.

I found that 20 CVs was worth about a 2.5 minute wait. Depends how many are playing. Remember that a CV will get picked every time a game spawns.

Oddly enough, my only 4-star (in CL) match, we didn't have a CV....

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,483 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Oddly enough, my only 4-star (in CL) match, we didn't have a CV....

In ten games, the only time I've seen the Gorgon banished was in a loss. (5 losses, 5 wins, 4 2-star, 1 3-star.)

Sure must be nice being a CV bot; shred the hell out of anything that tries to attack you, while apparently the AA on the player ships isn't any more effective than spitballs,

Can't get near the effing Gorgon to attack it, even when I can see it, and apparently few players understand they need to shoot at it.

I don't play WoWs to be stressed out trying to play 'Unicums only need apply' operations missions; if I wanted to deal with that malarkey I'd go waste time on daily missions in WoT.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Can't get near the effing Gorgon to attack it, even when I can see it, and apparently few players understand they need to shoot at it.

I wasn't intending to go after Gorgon, no idea where it would be. I wasn't paying attention, wound up way out of position, remembered to pop my radar, and it popped up about 7km away. Couldn't believe the damage that ROF heal does.

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles
33 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I don't play WoWs to be stressed out trying to play 'Unicums only need apply' operations missions; if I wanted to deal with that malarkey I'd go waste time on daily missions in WoT.

Except it's not that.  It needs teamwork, not talent.  It's brutally simple with a bit of coordination AND unicums.  With just the coordination I can see groups getting 5 stars every three games or so.

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,483 battles
20 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Except it's not that.  It needs teamwork, not talent.  It's brutally simple with a bit of coordination AND unicums.  With just the coordination I can see groups getting 5 stars every three games or so.

Therein lies the rub... For me it's the same thing I saw last year; 'Cooperation? What's that?'

I may collect 400k damage driving a CV, I'll use the heal and disable, at least more than apparently some CV drivers have; but if more than 1-2 other players can't seem to stay alive, use their special abilities effectively, and kill things, all the cooperation and damage in the world isn't worth jack.

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
772 posts
6,352 battles

It takes a bit to get used to it, but once you do you can manual drop in the filth consistently. 

20 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Yeah I was in a group of some pretty great players and we got three 5 stars in 4 games. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,483 battles
9 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

It takes a bit to get used to it, but once you do you can manual drop in the filth consistently. 

Yeah I was in a group of some pretty great players and we got three 5 stars in 4 games. 

Hooray.

It's like in Tanks; all the super-players are always on the other side, or off somewhere else, because I sure never see them.

...and again... I CAN'T SEE THE BLOODY DROP CONE in the filth.

NOT sorta-can see; NOT squint my eyes and see it, I CAN'T SEE IT.

All I can drop off of is the attack adjustment tab and auto-drops. Without being able to see the cone, even faintly, I can't set the drop distance for manual attacks.

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
772 posts
6,352 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hooray.

It's like in Tanks; all the super-players are always on the other side, or off somewhere else, because I sure never see them.

All I can drop off of is the attack adjustment tab and auto-drops. Without being able to see the cone, even faintly, I can't set the drop distance for manual attacks.

I don't see it either. I did some trial drops and then adjusted accordingly. 

[90THV]
Members
1,912 posts
8,071 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hooray.

Nobody can see it.  I simply did it off of muscle memory, the only visual indicators being the ship and the icon (where you clicked).

Considering you have three times my number of battles, muscle memory in this event should be easy for you, too.

Edited by _V12

Sign in to follow this