You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Zoidian

Kongo needs balance!

43 comments in this topic

[-00-]
Members
87 posts
4,402 battles

The newer ships added to the game are awesone, however, the old ones are in need of balancing, Kongos for example (and ARP variants) are way underpowered facing this new ships, I suggest better turret traverse speeds and higher acuracy and range for secondaries.

shot-17.04.21_23.10.39-0531.png

Members
782 posts
62 battles
10 minutes ago, Zoidian said:

The newer ships added to the game are awesone, however, the old ones are in need of balancing, Kongos for example (and ARP variants) are way underpowered facing this new ships, I suggest better turret traverse speeds and higher acuracy and range for secondaries.

Kongo was great back in the days - even borderline OP. But yea, she certainly got power creeped by now. 

A tad Sigma would be nice. Like 1.9 maybe :-)

• Cool 1

[ARMDA]
Members
9,003 posts
5,462 battles

She's still good, no buff needed (although a small teensy tiny little buff to traverse would be nice).

[-00-]
Members
87 posts
4,402 battles
2 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

Kongo was great back in the days - even borderline OP. But yea, she certainly got power creeped by now. 

A tad Sigma would be nice. Like 1.9 maybe :-)

It would work 

[TXGUN]
Beta Testers
3,220 posts
26,864 battles
42 minutes ago, Zoidian said:

Maybe with the ARP ships , but the regular Kongo one is still OK 

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

Kongo is still pretty good, it's speed and gun range at that tier give her the ability to dictate engagements and uptier better than most.

There are many other ships more in need of a buff IMO, and among tier 5 BBs the New York seems like the weakest link.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,291 posts
12,974 battles

The Kongo, or any of her neon colored sisters, are still awesome ships due to their very high speeds. It's still the only tier 5 ship that I don't mind getting stuck in a tier 7 battles.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,295 posts
22,141 battles

I like her.... When uptiered you just play her like a cruiser and are still fine.

[-00-]
Members
87 posts
4,402 battles
24 minutes ago, Eric_Von_Hess said:

Maybe with the ARP ships , but the regular Kongo one is still OK 

ARP ships are kongos without camo. (and neon obviusly) They are just as powerful or weak

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

It could do with some minor improvements like 10k more HP + 10% faster turret traverse + 2.0 sigma and Warspite heal to top it off :Smile_teethhappy:

P.S. ...and one extra gun per turret!

Edited by geser98

[PVE]
Members
1,085 posts
9,374 battles

I finished grinding the kongo just a bit ago and it was an easy and comfortable grind. Her speed rocks at  tier 5 and is quite comfortable when facing tier 7. He guns are quite nice as well. Even the turret traverse is fine (for a tier 5). No buff needed.

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

My Kongo and her four ARP sisters are just fine. Once captain skills get into double digits, it begins to shine. Agile, fast, and kicks like a mule. As long as one keeps in mind that this is a Battlecruiser, not a "true" Battleship, it works well. Have had red team members root for me in chat late-game as I dodge multiple torp spreads, rush behind islands and kill ships port and starboard.

It can be played like an infantryman. Rush from cover to cover and fire on the move. Use its agility to get close, then run rings around them.

My standing advice for any ship is ... Do not judge it until its Captain has 12 points or more.

Edited by BlueWaterWolf

[GWG]
Members
7,215 posts
13,981 battles

Huh????   Kongo was never as good as the US ships as far as armor.  The big guns felt a bit lacking there.

She was always a bit cruiser-squishy when it came to absorbing citadels and other damage.

The saving grace is the immense HP pool.

This, and the high speed made it a perfect suicide-ram.  It's my standard practice to attack two BBs with the Kongo.  Shoot at one, and ram the other.  A couple times, I survived the ram, hit repair, and kept fighting.

• Cool 1

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
808 posts
15,204 battles
On 10/28/2017 at 8:21 AM, BrentD15 said:

Kongo's missing a lot of her AA guns.

A 1944 configuration would be nice.

That's Because we have Hiei not Kongo look at the superstructure.

I believe @dseehafer can elaborate more his what's the difference series once covered it. 

The funny part is ARP got it right in the anime and Wargaming's clones didn't.

Edited by yamato6945

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, yamato6945 said:

The funny part is ARP got it right in the anime and Wargaming's clones didn't.

With a few rare exceptions (such as Gneisenau), normal tech tree ships in WoWS represent the class of the ship, not any particular ship of the class. Premiums, on the other hand, do represent a particular ship. This leaves WG more options in terms of historically accurate balancing. They can pick and choose set-ups from any of the ships of the class or any of the refits of those ships.

Also, 1935 Hiei and 1931 Kongo versions have the same superstructure. It's that in 1944 refit Kongo's superstructure was lowered, but before that, they would look very similarly. On the other hand 1944-refit Kongo would be waaaay overpowered for T5 in AA department with 120*25mm mounts, but it will be grossly underpowered in the main battery is taken even to T7.

This is Kongo, not Hiei:

Kongo_after_reconstruction.jpg

Edited by geser98

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
808 posts
15,204 battles
On 10/28/2017 at 11:43 PM, geser98 said:

With a few rare exceptions (such as Gneisenau), normal tech tree ships in WoWS represent the class of the ship, not any particular ship of the class. Premiums, on the other hand, do represent a particular ship. This leaves WG more options in terms of historically accurate balancing. They can pick and choose set-ups from any of the ships of the class or any of the refits of those ships.

Also, 1935 Hiei and 1931 Kongo versions have the same superstructure. It's that in 1944 refit Kongo's superstructure was lowered, but before that, they would look very similarly. On the other hand 1944-refit Kongo would be waaaay overpowered for T5 in AA department with 120*25mm mounts, but it will be grossly underpowered in the main battery is taken even to T7.

This is Kongo, not Hiei:

Kongo_after_reconstruction.jpg

I'm just saying in regards to appearance the aa on models didn't need to be accurate heck Yamato doesn't have her Operation Ten-Ichi-Go AA  but since they were copied from the anime why not make them look accurate.The Yamato model is from the Yamato museum in Kure Japan notice the AA on turrets two and three their's is Ten-Ichi-Go ours is Leyte or how Musashi also looked when sunk 

On another note USN recognition drawing of Hiei still our closest in game model. 

And all 4 sisters had Different superstructure's after reconstruction the photo you used is Kongo early Hiei is what I posted look at all 4 after the second reconstruction

Final four are the boxes to model kits on the Sisters in order Kongo Hiei Haruna Kirishima

Link to where i pulled box art 

http://combinedfleet.com/ships/kongo

And so you understand combinedfleets credentials every single person on that site is a historian. Moral of the Story wargaming routinely gets models wrong   

http://www.combinedfleet.com/whoami.htm

And as for the AA being to strong the Japanese Type 96 25mm AA gun sucked read up on it. It is literally the reason the reason they lost so many ships to air attack so I doubt Kongo would be to strong Texas has better AA in every way 

Edited by yamato6945
  • Cool 1

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, yamato6945 said:

'm just saying in regards to appearance the aa on models didn't need to be accurate heck Yamato doesn't have her Operation Ten-Ichi-Go AA  but since they were copied from the anime why not make them look accurate.

I'm super confused. Are you talking about tech-tree Kongo or the ARP clones? Because I have them all, but I have them all hidden from view and never play them so I don't even remember what they look like.

Members
160 posts
1,668 battles
21 minutes ago, geser98 said:

I'm super confused. Are you talking about tech-tree Kongo or the ARP clones? Because I have them all, but I have them all hidden from view and never play them so I don't even remember what they look like.

The ARP Kongos are just the tech tree ship with neon. Devs didn't do much to send them out.

Members
160 posts
1,668 battles

OP, I do think Kongou needs a buff but I think it should come along with a fix to all of the T3-7 USN and IJN ships at the same time to counteract the power creep.

My specific ideas would be:

Give the USN ships better rudder shift so they can unleash their firepower and get back to angling their armor

Give IJN ships better stealth to help them ambush and increase their survivability.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

Would be nice if she got back her old AA suite from the Beta.  But not particularly necessary.