You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Krickett

Kill Stealing

195 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
63 battles

I have an issue with this I really do because I am a stat freak....

Why is it I can do 98% of the damage to a single ship yet some putz comes along and does the final amount of damage and gets the kill for it?  I am the one that did the most damage I am the one who risked my ship to do said damage...  

I believe that the person who did the most damage (say has to do at least 75%+ damage) to said ship gets 1/2 kill credit. 

Remember stats are everything to some people and getting stats taken away because someone wants to be a jerk (or not) makes people unhappy.  Let us at least give these people partial credit for the work they did.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF8]
Members
381 posts
7,737 battles

Complicate it all to satisfy your fragile ego? No thanks.  If you want kills, time your shots.  It's not complicated.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[NOG]
Members
134 posts
9,761 battles

Deriving a sense of self importance from stats is....sad.

• Cool 13
  • Boring 1

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles

Kill securing is how you win games.

Especially ships with repairs. I'd rather people kill "steal" and secure a kill than let me have it, only for RNG or stealth to let someone get away.

• Cool 15
  • Boring 1

[RST]
Members
835 posts
21,846 battles

Sometimes you do 98% of the damage and sometimes you don't get the kill.  Sometimes you do 2% and get the kill.

The game giveth and the game taketh away.  Functions as designed.

• Cool 4

Members
832 posts
25,106 battles

I do not think you are going to win this debate OP. 

I highly doubt you would complain if you were in a hot battle with another ship, had 1k health left and the enemy 4k and yet a BB comes along and kills the target in one salvo...saving your ship just in the nick of time.

Right now, you are very new to the game, give it some time...you will get there.

• Cool 2

Members
26 posts
63 battles
15 minutes ago, MikeLWX said:

Complicate it all to satisfy your fragile ego? No thanks.  If you want kills, time your shots.  It's not complicated.

You say that yet in ever single game known to mankind that deals with an MMO type of game stats are what gets you into or keeps you out of guilds/clans etc. So you saying that is total [edited] and shows your total lack of understanding of high end/end game functions. 

In almost every thread someone brings up the fact that someone doesn't have a good kill to death ratio that they need to improve on that so you saying that is well ummmm selfish yes that is the word because you must be one of those people that like to kill steal.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,260 posts
21,714 battles

it's not your kill until it's sunk 

• Cool 3

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,819 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

You say that yet in ever single game known to mankind that deals with an MMO type of game stats are what gets you into or keeps you out of guilds/clans etc. So you saying that is total [edited] and shows your total lack of understanding of high end/end game functions. 

In almost every thread someone brings up the fact that someone doesn't have a good kill to death ratio that they need to improve on that so you saying that is well ummmm selfish yes that is the word because you must be one of those people that like to kill steal.

Your kill count is not what matters to most clans. Have a look at the clan recruitment section...

• Cool 1

Members
26 posts
63 battles
2 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

I do not think you are going to win this debate OP. 

I highly doubt you would complain if you were in a hot battle with another ship, had 1k health left and the enemy 4k and yet a BB comes along and kills the target in one salvo...saving your ship just in the nick of time.

Right now, you are very new to the game, give it some time...you will get there.

Yes I am sure i won't most people need kill steals to pad their stats (that they do care about regardless of what they say) your analogy though is wrong If I need another team mate to get me out of that situation I have already lost. (I am a DD captain) If i die its because I screwed up or the other player was simply better or I was not paying enough attention. Sure him saving me might help our team in the end but I would still say something because I accept my deaths as anything but someone elses fault.

Members
26 posts
63 battles
1 minute ago, Triela50 said:

it's not your kill until it's sunk 

Yes well I guess if I want those kills I will not fire a single shot until I can get that kill and to hell with the rest of my team.

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

KILL STEALING...

..is not a "thing" in this game.

Kill SECURING. Preventing further damage to the Fleet. Disabling a Freaking Floating Weapons PLATFORM!

Example: If an enemy BB has 10 seconds on reload with said "2% HP remaining" & has my CA in sight which torps or terrain or circumstances have forced me to turn broadside to - though I am the one who reduced them by 98% by making a torp run at them - Please oh please oh please pig pile on the sucker! I will thank you and +1 you for support and never utter a word of protest.

If folks wait to sink a ship all you're doing is giving them a chance at "1 last salvo" of main battery, torps or maybe the chance to slip away/into smoke etc. I'm at my most focused when the beat down starts and many of my double strikes come from being calm under pressure and getting those last few shots off before I'm sunk. I've watched ships simply ignore me because they think: "Oh that guy is about gone, my allies got this" and they turn turrets away from me.. Thanks I guess!? Also as far as KS/Finishing: I've seen 2k or less HP BBs allowed to slip away and return to the fight with A LOT of hp repaired. Secure. The. Kill.

2 things annoy me though:

1. Let the person who got 4 kills get the 5th if they worked their aft off for them. Enemy has 1 ship left and they're 10km from the person with 4kills and there's 2k hp left and 5 ships on allied team... just let the darned fella get the Kraken.

2.BBs surrounded by lighter ships that refuse to finish off a sub 2k HP ship. a 30 second reload is NOT the place to put those rounds.

• Cool 6

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,260 posts
21,714 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

Yes well I guess if I want those kills I will not fire a single shot until I can get that kill and to hell with the rest of my team.

if that is what you think you need to do 

I mean if you have to screw over your team trying to chase kills go for it

I will still shoot at any target I can with the goal of winning the match

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Members
13,743 posts
5 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

I'm sure that will really help boost the stats clans look at since you seem so worried about it. At 49 battles you don't understand the high end/end game functions of this game.

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,769 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

Yes I am sure i won't most people need kill steals to pad their stats (that they do care about regardless of what they say) your analogy though is wrong If I need another team mate to get me out of that situation I have already lost. (I am a DD captain) If i die its because I screwed up or the other player was simply better or I was not paying enough attention. Sure him saving me might help our team in the end but I would still say something because I accept my deaths as anything but someone elses fault.

In WoWs, a lots of your stats are based on damage done, not kills.

The XP is done that way as well. Say you take down 99,000 damage on a BB and my salvo gets the last 1,000 for the kill. You get 99% of the XP and I get 1%. The kill shot doesn't get me any XP. It would be the same if I did 1,000 damage and you did the rest of the 99k and got the kill shot.

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles
11 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

Average kills are perhabs the most unreliable stat if you want to judge someone's skill before accepting them into a clan and I have yet to see a serious clan using average kills/KD ratio, with the sole exception being that it is a smaller part of the WTR which is unfortunately still being used. But, as I said, it's not even a third of the Rating.

A stat that you will see a lot more often is the Win Rate, because Solo Win Rate is perhabs the best measure you can get to find out about a player's skill.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,653 posts
11,735 battles

You're only referring to one stat (K/D) out of a myriad of others.    By looking at the stat signatures from other posters, K/D isn't even shown.    For those trying to attain purple shading, the signatures focus on win rate and WTR (player ratings).   

I've come from other games where your kill/death ratio is the only stat that matters.   In this game, you could have a high WTR from XP gained from capping, potential damage, damage dealt, and wins.

I get it - it's good to keep up a high K/D.   That was my primary focus coming into the game.   Strive for a 2.0 K/D and +50% win rate.      But even getting close to that goal still has my stats in the blue - far from any shade resembling purple.

So, I changed focus.   Rather than striving for kills, I worked on situational awareness, positioning, supporting other players that were taking the cap, holding the flank, pushing when needed.    Those factors are much more influential in the game (but aren't counted as individual stats, save one - increased Win Rate).

• Cool 1

[FOG]
Beta Testers
225 posts

OP, it looks like your confirmation bias Is clouding your judgement. Besides, you get quite a bit more XP for your 98% damage than the "killer" with 2% gets. One less gun platform helps the team.  It's not just about you and your stats.

Smooth sailing, all!

• Cool 2

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
4 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

High end Clans are looking mostly for WR. That is what proves what kind of player you are. Winning trumps the small stuff. 

No one can steal "your" kill. If you do 98% of the damage, you get all the XP, and the person that actually, ya know, "kills" the ship, gets a pretty red ribbon. Fine, done, move on to the next ship. Focus fire wins games. 

And BTW if you are going to claim that you have never secured a low-health kill, I'm going to call [edited]. 

• Cool 2

Members
615 posts
4,388 battles

2 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

That's just it, this is a team game, the whole idea is the have the team win.  You can be top in every game you play and still lose if you don't help the team.  Sadly most players are out for their own glory, just look at the number of players who don't enter the fight until most of the work has been done, then they try to be the hero and save the game.  This happens a lot at lower level play.  They wind up sinking a lot of the ships you and other players leave on low health after you get sunk.  These are the ones that are stat padding.  

Kills are nice but if you do most of the damage you still get most of the credit, the only thing they get are the final kill.  Their game score is modest at best.  At higher level where most ships have heals, leaving a low health ship to limp away and repair is a bad idea.  You will see a lot of team play and focus firing in higher level play like the new clans, and ranked to some extent.  The intent is to wipe out the enemy, as efficiently as possible with as little loss to your ships as possible.  So kill stealing isn't a thing there.  This will become more apparent as you move up from the lower Tier matches where no one know what to do or how to work together.  (I do wish this was the case more often at mid tiers!)

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,653 posts
11,735 battles
1 minute ago, HayabusaZ said:

Kills are nice but if you do most of the damage you still get most of the credit, the only thing they get are the final kill.  Their game score is modest at best.  

Tell me about it.   I start the game by positioning wrong, take half the match getting into a fighting posture, and end up with four kills in the game.    And yet, near the bottom of the scoreboard.

Conversely, I've gone many games with no kills, but in the top two or three of the scoreboards.

• Cool 1

Members
26 posts
63 battles
3 minutes ago, Skarp_AGW said:

High end Clans are looking mostly for WR. That is what proves what kind of player you are. Winning trumps the small stuff. 

No one can steal "your" kill. If you do 98% of the damage, you get all the XP, and the person that actually, ya know, "kills" the ship, gets a pretty red ribbon. Fine, done, move on to the next ship. Focus fire wins games. 

And BTW if you are going to claim that you have never secured a low-health kill, I'm going to call [edited]. 

Even then that is a skewed number (though wins are nice) but in a lot of instances you team just sucks and you are left to fend off 5+ ships is not gonna happen that often (with you winning) but i see your point.

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
40 minutes ago, Dr_Krickett said:

I have an issue with this I really do because I am a stat freak....

Why is it I can do 98% of the damage to a single ship yet some putz comes along and does the final amount of damage and gets the kill for it?  I am the one that did the most damage I am the one who risked my ship to do said damage...  

I believe that the person who did the most damage (say has to do at least 75%+ damage) to said ship gets 1/2 kill credit. 

Remember stats are everything to some people and getting stats taken away because someone wants to be a jerk (or not) makes people unhappy.  Let us at least give these people partial credit for the work they did.

There ain't nobody more stats focused than sports people. 

The guy that carries the kickoff return 98 yards but gets tackled on the 2 yard line doesn't get the touchdown. Sorry, but that's reality. Stats aren't about "fair". They're about truth.

• Cool 2