Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

Kaiser inaccurate guns

10 comments in this topic

Members
349 posts
6,599 battles

Has anyone noticed how the tier 4 German battleship, Kaiser, tends to shoot low from where you aim?  It's like the sights for her guns are calibrated wrongly and you have to lift your aim up or end up shooting the sea.

I've been playing mostly cruisers and was unpleasantly surprised by how inaccurate German battleship guns are compared to their cruisers of a similar tier. Their cruisers felt like they're equipped with a rail gun but their battleships shoots worse patterns than birdshots being fired from rifled shotgun barrel.

Are all German battleships equipped with inaccurate guns or do things improve in later tiers?  Thanks.

Edited by bigbearbeear

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

all battleships will have worse dispersion than cruisers. it's a balance thing. if battleships were as accurate as cruisers, there would be no reason to play cruisers.

as for the shots going low, it seems to be a German BB thing. you need to aim center hull with them rather than for the waterline.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Well, RNG God does some very strange things.

What I really appreciate (very sarcastically, I might add)  is when your properly on target volley shots all miss (or just 1 shell hits). We are talking 'on target' here. In the very same battle, the enemy hits every time (or 'way' more). Remarkably balanced resolutions this:cap_haloween:

Imho, this is one of the ways the game 'arranges' or tries to 'prearrange' results. Instant blow out auto loss anyone? (Oh, this never happens) (I have this bridge for sale ........)

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

German BBs in particular are very inaccurate, otherwise they would make most other Battleships obsolete. It's a balancing issue.

Take the Gneisenau for example, which has even worse accuracy (or at least it feels like that because she only has six guns). The Gneisenau is a perfect platform for a battleship. It's bloody fast, it's armor is a middle finger against AP and HE Shells, the AA is also excellent and on top of that it has Torpedoes. Now if the guns were accurate as well, there would be Zero reason to Play Nagato or Gneisenau.

[PVE]
Members
12,599 posts
26,225 battles
7 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

Has anyone noticed how the tier 4 German battleship, Kaiser, tends to shoot low from where you aim?  It's like the sights for her guns are calibrated wrongly and you have to lift your aim up or end up shooting the sea.

I've been playing mostly cruisers and was unpleasantly surprised by how inaccurate German battleship guns are compared to their cruisers of a similar tier. Their cruisers felt like they're equipped with a rail gun but their battleships shoots worse patterns than birdshots being fired from rifled shotgun barrel.

Are all German battleships equipped with inaccurate guns or do things improve in later tiers?  Thanks. 

All nations BB's are inaccurate at T3 and T4 (certain premiums excluded). T5 is where the 1st "accurate BB's" show up and things get better overall for BB's T6+. It gets better so hang in there. :Smile_izmena:

The KM T4 Kaiser is one of the most inaccurate of all BB's.  I like your analogy about the shotgun but would change it to firing square pellets out of a cylinder bore. They just go everywhere. Don't let it's poor accuracy put you off BB's if you want to play them. It is one of the worst BB's for accuracy in the game period.

KM BB's in general are some of the least accurate BB's because they have such great armor and in higher tiers the best secondary guns in the game or even torps. They also tend to have quite fast reload speeds. It is a balance thing. If their guns were super accurate they would be unstoppable. I find the USN BB's the most accurate in the game as a line top to bottom on the whole. On paper/stat wise the IJN BB's are the most accurate but that hasn't transferred to my actual game play where I have struggled with the line except for the T10 Yamato which is very accurate. The KM ones are pretty much the least accurate BB's with a few exceptions. 

FWIW IMHO...

• T3 Nassau - no T3 BB is accurate but Nassau isn't too bad. Probably either 1 or 2 of the group.
  • T3 Konig Albert - T3 Premium KM BB. Accuracy isn't awful for a T3 I have read but not great (have not played)
  • T4 Kaiser - least accurate of the T4 BB's - HORRID accuracy!
  • T5 Konig - most accurate BB in the KM line and one of most accurate low/mid tier BB's in game. Was nerfed somewhat recently because it was TOO accurate
  • T6 Bayern - sort of middle of the road accuracy wise. Not great but not horrible and especially if you keep your shot ranges reasonable. I actually shoot well in it.
  • T7 Gneisenau - only 6 guns and no 2 ever put a round on the same spot when you shoot. LOL Pretty poor accuracy.
  • T7 Scharnhorst - T7 Premium KM BB. Twin to Gneiseanu but armed with 9 283 MM guns vs 6 380MM. More accurate than Gneisenau but still pretty bad.
  • T8 Bismarck - same 380MM guns as Gneiseanau . You get 8 instead of 6. Not overly accurate at range but can do decent at shorter ranges.
  • I haven't played the T9 or T10 KM BB's. They suffer from the same accuracy issues most of the line does from all I have read although the T10 GK seems fairly accurate based on playing against.

Go to the tech tree and open various BB's in your port. Open the Artillery section and then mouse over the main battery section. The stats that appear will show you the max range of the main guns and the max dispersion at that range of the main guns. The lower the dispersion figure the better. So you can sort of get an idea of how accurate a BB is vs other ones by comparing not only dispersion but the max gun range as well. A different BB than yours may have a slightly higher dispersion rating but if it occurs at a vastly greater distance then it is actually more accurate than yours. Sigma also effects accuracy but that is a stat not readily available so range + dispersion is the best way I know of to tell. And, that just takes stats into account so it is on paper accuracy so to speak. Factors that influence getting the shells on target like lead, shell hang time, RNG, number of guns, etc... play a big part in your success in hitting targets.

Here are some examples of what I mean about comparing stat accuracy to see which ships should be more accurate (fully upgraded ships as well)...

T4 KM BB Kaiser:

• Max Range = 16.0km
  • Max Dispersion = 223m

vs.

T4 BRN BB Orion:

• Max Range = 16.7km
  • Max Dispersion = 227m

So the Kaiser has a 4 meter lower dispersion figure than Orion BUT it also has 3/4 of a kilometer less range. So the Orion is actually more accurate than Kaiser. Let's compare the Kaiser to the other standard tech tree T4 BB's so you can see why it is the most inaccurate of the group stat wise.

T4 USN BB Wyoming:

• Max Range = 15.8km
  • Max Dispersion = 218m

T4 IJN BB Myogi:

• Max Range = 18.6km
  • Max Dispersion = 217m

So the Wyoming is slightly more accurate on paper and the Myogi on paper is the most accurate of the T4 BB's. Other things like sigma effect accuracy as said though. For instance. Myogi is the most accurate of the T4 BB's compared on paper but because it only has 6 guns it has pretty bad in game accuracy (performance is actually a better way to describe it) because you only throw 6 shells with T4 BB gun dispersion. It might be the best dispersion of the group on paper but it is still bad. You can have worse dispersion on paper and make up for it with 4-6 more shells per salvo. In my play experience Wyoming is the most accurate of the T4 standard BB's. Orion a close 2nd.  Kaiser and Myogi are just horrendously bad.

Hope this helps and explains it in a way that makes sense? As you go higher in the game the BB's get a lot more accurate and the range really reaches out there. Early tiers it is tough as all of the guns are pretty inaccurate.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
8 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I haven't played the T9 or T10 KM BB's. They suffer from the same accuracy issues most of the line does from all I have read although the T10 GK seems fairly accurate based on playing against.

T9 - Friedrich der Grosse has some of the worst accuracy of the entire KM BB line. Certainly it's ether her or Gneisenau. That is especially true at med-long ranges with 420 mm guns. iChase explained the slight differences in accuracy between 406 and 420 guns close to the end of THIS  video.

T10 - Surprisingly not bad at all. One of the best accuracy of the entire line. An absolute breath of fresh air after FDG.

9 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So the Kaiser has a 4 meter lower dispersion figure than Orion BUT it also has 3/4 of a kilometer less range. So the Orion is actually more accurate than Kaiser. Let's compare the Kaiser to the other standard tech tree T4 BB's so you can see why it is the most inaccurate of the group stat wise.

Simply comparing base stats doesn't do it justice. Base horizontal dispersion is in fact quite useless as a means of comparing accuracy between ships. More important are the sigma and vertical dispersion. 

[PVE]
Members
12,599 posts
26,225 battles
13 hours ago, geser98 said:

Simply comparing base stats doesn't do it justice. Base horizontal dispersion is in fact quite useless as a means of comparing accuracy between ships. More important are the sigma and vertical dispersion. 

I did mention these were just the paper stats readily available and that it doesn't always translate to actual play. You can only use what you can find.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
4 hours ago, SkeletonDenial said:

All I can say is "welcome to the German bb line".  Get closer , or less, you do better, 

Or you could also say - "Welcome to tier 4 BBs", because it would be kind of odd to expect North Carolina levels of accuracy here and they all are not great accuracy-wise. It's just most of other BBs outgun the poor Kaiser (n fact, all of them except Myogi) and so it feels like you're not hitting as much. 

Based on my experience, Kaiser is a middle of the pack damage-wise. Also, accuracy of main battery is 24% on 3 on the battlehips and just 1% higher on Orion. Not sure what happened with my Wyoming play with 30% hit rate, but then I haven't played an awful lot of games in her.

Shes been absolutely amazing, but recently experienced a lot of power creep with British BBs releasing and Orion frankly being OP for the tier and also Zucchini got her range buffed significantly when concealment changes were introduced. So she's not AS strong as she was, but still a very solid ship.

t4_bbs.thumb.JPG.103b039f85c375402fffd5b0fd923ca3.JPG

Sign in to follow this