You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kitsunelegend

Warplanes. Is it as good as they say?

35 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

At first glance, it seems WG has fixed a lot of the issues that World of Warplanes had. They added some interesting mechanics such as bombers, some new maps, apparently worked on optimization and graphics...it was all looking pretty good for what was essentially a reboot of the game.

However...I've been playing a lot of it recently...and I've come across something very VERY upsetting.

It can be summed up into two words.

GOLD AMMO.

That is correct. The exact same stupid mechanic that very much so hated in the World of Tanks community, is VERY prevalent in WoWP, at least when you hit tier 5. It would seem, that once a player hits tier 5, they start facing off against the players who have been in the game for a very long time, and those who have a lot of disposable income. It makes for a VERY unpleasant experience over all, one that I found highly unfun and not very entertaining.

Theres two types of gold ammo in this game.

High explosive incendiary: great for fast firing guns like .50 calibers and such. Set fires extremely well. Think HE in this game turned up to 11.

High explosive: Great for large caliber weapons, like cannons. Just shreds planes and can very VERY easily knock out important components, making you super easy prey.

It all makes for a very unenjoyable experience, so much so that after playing a bit in my brand new P-40 (which is basically nothing more than a flying dumpster fire with a couple bb guns crudely strapped to the wings) I basically just uninstalled the game due to facing enemies that were CLEARLY using years and YEARS of experience and gold ammo to completely shut down any and all enemy fighters and bombers. Games were becoming extremely one sided to the point where half the time I asked "why bother to respawn?". I knew that if I did, I'd get taken out instantly.

So yeah. My advice to anyone wanting to play world of warplanes?

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM WORLD OF WARPLANES!

• Cool 4

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

I feel ya.

I have not played WoWP, but gold ammo in WoT was my biggest issue with that game and a primary reason why I haven't logged in for two years.

At least warships got it right, a competitive free-to-play game should not have such an obvious pay2win mechanic.

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

the gold ammo is annoying

but the fun is in T1 anyways.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,426 battles

Haven't run into that much yet so I'll just say I'm having fun with the game so far.  The special ammo was there before the reboot so it's nothing new.  But I will say that so far, WOWP is seriously a lot more fun than it was before. 

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
14,377 battles

just WAIT til it comes here..... THAT is going to be fun AND engaging...

Edited by pmgaudio

Members
430 posts
6,898 battles

I haven't played since around Xmas/early January and the mandatory install of the WG gaming center to download any 2.0 content hasn't motivated me to try and check out the changes.

I never had/purchased gold ammo other than what few belts came with my one or two premium aircraft but I did use the universal in most larger caliber machine-guns along with some cannons.

Not knowing about universal or gold ammo, and why it makes such a difference, is probably one of the biggest non-intuitive things easily missed when learning how to play WoWP.

Plus, folks just starting out or climbing tiers cannot always even afford to utilize the universal ammo on top of plane repairs & purchasing modules, let alone upgrades (pricey unless a sale is on).

What kind of did the game in for me was losing thirty (or less) seconds from contact just from random chance of how the bots of one team acted versus those opposing them, negating most any player contribution.

The other thing was not so much the ammo as for how ground attack or heavy divisions so completely dominated almost every match just by being nigh-unkillable (GA) or unreachable (heavy fighters).

One of the sillier features, which I hope did get changed, was that in WoWP using the training room incurred a repair & rearm cost; I.E. it was not a free use of consumables and whatnot.

I actually had to purchase a tier V premium (on special) to be able to learn how to play, because the low tiers (I to IV) were so filled with experienced pilots running through the daily tasks for tokens.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,188 posts
12,090 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

I have not played WoWP, but gold ammo in WoT was my biggest issue with that game and a primary reason why I haven't logged in for two years.

Yes, but at least in Wot "Gold" ammo can be bought with credits, even if not cost effective to spam, WoWp is GOLD ONLY, even a couple consumables, it's part of what drove me away. 

Also - "2.0" didn't fix a damn thing and if there is any "optimization and improved graphics" it's only for the highest end computers because mine are worse than ever on lower settings than I could run before, meanwhile Tanks made it I could run higher, nicer looking settings and 60+ FPS, Warships I can get 40 out of and looks nicer, warplanes is maybe 15 still. 2.0 is a suckers lie. It's 1.9 with a new game mode, more bots, and bombers that are at best difficulty to obtain because they screwed up ground targets AGAIN. And they still have the same garbage damage model that basically if anything shoots your wing or engine you might as well just nose dive into the ground and hope they don't pull up and crash with you. The competing game's arcade mode is more freaking arcade like given despite the fact they still use more realism, my plane is still able to fight better in it literally missing half a wing. Theres a good chance Kitsune those weren't even players, bots almost exclusively use gold ammo, most players, least when I left, didn't. And yeah, USN and certain configurations of UK ad other planes got bent over the last time they mucked with weapons even though they had FINALLY achieved a damage model and gun performance we all liked in 1.4, and threw it out in 1.5 and further still a later patch that basically, if you don't have a 20 mm cannon, your not competitive.

1.1-1.4 WoWp was good-great all things given, just needed the further polishing that comes with time. 1.5 - a mistep that could have been fixed. every patch after that - just makes the game more and more trash.

[UEFN]
Members
473 posts
4,239 battles

I really don't see where you're coming from. Honestly the universal ammo does a lot better and can be bought for credits, very cheap too. It's far more consistent. I barely started playing and I've been able to do quite decently at tier 5 in different classes without firing any gold ammo. The gold ammo is nothing like the gold ammo in WoT, which is essentially an I win button. Just stock up on universal ammo and you're set.

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Yes, but at least in Wot "Gold" ammo can be bought with credits, even if not cost effective to spam, WoWp is GOLD ONLY, even a couple consumables, it's part of what drove me away. 

True, and I always kept a few gold rounds available in my tanks for crucial situations. However unless you are pumping real life $ into the game the economics made it a special occasion-only item.

Meanwhile the wallet warriors could shoot all gold, all the time and it gave them a definitive advantage in battlefield results.

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

I hope gold ammo never becomes a thing here, will probably be the ruin of the game. Doesn't mean I won't try to adapt, doesn't mean people won't play, but Gold Ammo in WoT, in its various incarnations was always controversial.

[REVY]
Members
8,088 posts
6,118 battles
2 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Also - "2.0" didn't fix a damn thing and if there is any "optimization and improved graphics" it's only for the highest end computers because mine are worse than ever on lower settings than I could run before, meanwhile Tanks made it I could run higher, nicer looking settings and 60+ FPS, Warships I can get 40 out of and looks nicer, warplanes is maybe 15 still. 2.0 is a suckers lie. It's 1.9 with a new game mode, more bots, and bombers that are at best difficulty to obtain because they screwed up ground targets AGAIN. And they still have the same garbage damage model that basically if anything shoots your wing or engine you might as well just nose dive into the ground and hope they don't pull up and crash with you. The competing game's arcade mode is more freaking arcade like given despite the fact they still use more realism, my plane is still able to fight better in it literally missing half a wing. Theres a good chance Kitsune those weren't even players, bots almost exclusively use gold ammo, most players, least when I left, didn't. And yeah, USN and certain configurations of UK ad other planes got bent over the last time they mucked with weapons even though they had FINALLY achieved a damage model and gun performance we all liked in 1.4, and threw it out in 1.5 and further still a later patch that basically, if you don't have a 20 mm cannon, your not competitive.

1.1-1.4 WoWp was good-great all things given, just needed the further polishing that comes with time. 1.5 - a mistep that could have been fixed. every patch after that - just makes the game more and more trash.

If ships with 14in guns could suddenly citadel a Dunkerque from the bow with "gold" ammo, the entire ship becomes obsolete, since it's vulnerable in all directions.  I see this in World of Tanks, where balance has gone to hell on so many tanks, the slow ones with heavy armor can just get punched with a few rounds through the thickest plates of armor, and all you can do die.  It's one thing to trade speed for armor, it's another to make armor irrelevant, and still take away speed, it just plays havoc with the natural balance mechanics.

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles

I was sitting on the fence about playing WoWP, but since there's gold ammo available, I'll never download/play it.  

If gold ammo ever makes it to this game, I am out.  I'll not spend one more dime on the game and that will be it.

[-AL-]
[-AL-]
Members
715 posts

To be honest all ammo's changes in that game is the fire chance. It does not offer more penetration. Flying is more skills base. If you can dog fight or dodge being tailed you're fine. Plus the fact they can be only bought with gold mean less people use them in general. World of Tanks had them yeah, but can be acquired with credits. I do load about dozen on my tanks to make it up again upped tiers or some tank with too sturdy front, it's not that bad.

I am not defending the ammunition's at all nor that it's nice from War gaming to use them. But the influence is actually minor. And I doubt we will see Nuclear shells in World of Warships.

Edit: One important thing: CREW MATTER A LOT IN WOWP AND WOT! The ammo it self is not everything!

Edited by Prinzy
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,045 posts

I wanted to try WoWP, but having an older, integrated Intel 3000 graphic chip on-board apparently causes it to upchuck. It loaded fine up until it was determining the graphics settings. There it would break (crash). I searched the net for possible fixes unknown to me, but alas, nothing found. I had to conclude my type of laptop with the on-board graphics chip was not capable of playing it. The issue has been out there for well, years, from what I found on the subject. 

Not to derail subject line but if/when gold "ammo" hit here, I'd have to evaluate it's effect on the game. If it was an "i win" option - which is almost certainly would have to be, otherwise why buy it - my ships would stay in harbor until it was removed.

There is no reason to inject gold ammo into this game. None. 

Alpha Tester
6,513 posts
3,304 battles

Gold ammo was one of the main reasons why I quit Tanks. My KV-4 simply wasn't blocking shots anymore.

[-202-]
Members
31 posts
4,459 battles

You're not alone, Herr_Reitz with your WoWP download problems. I saw one of Jingles latest videos on the game and thought, wow, that looks like fun, and a bit of a break from all the swimming I do in Warships. Exactly the same thing happened to me: game loaded fine, got to the hanger and then, five seconds into the "auto detection of graphics settings," it all stopped working. Did the same research as you, tried all the fixes I could and ended up concluding likewise that it was my older laptop computer that was the issue. Perhaps they'll fix it in time but for now, I guess I'll just have to continue butterflying away from my sinking ships.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Tried it recently and really enjoyed it. Like that they added respawns and such. Really don't mind premium ammo. I don't intend to use it but I play these games to unlock and collect war machines. If not using gold ammo means my stats are a little lower, I really don't care. 

Beta Testers
318 posts
13,097 battles
1 hour ago, Prinzy said:

To be honest all ammo's changes in that game is the fire chance. It does not offer more penetration. Flying is more skills base. If you can dog fight or dodge being tailed you're fine. Plus the fact they can be only bought with gold mean less people use them in general.

Exactly what it think too.  I like the game, is it perfect nope.  But i have fun playing it and is all that matters.   Sometimes i get wrecked bad, but when I look calmly at it after, i often realize where i did a mistake to put myself in this situation.  Sometimes the other pilot was way better then me and I learn from that and try to not put myself in that situation again.  It is a lot harder to manage because you have all axes to think of and SPEED.

Personally i would say to people to give it a try and find their own opinion instead of giving up on something without even trying. No matter who gives their opinion Good \ Bad.

[HINON]
Members
4,020 posts
4,791 battles

I am an adamant proponent against Gold ammunition. It's one thing to price a balanced form of ammunition slightly higher in credits that scales with its damage, but it's completely unrealistic to make that ammunition so unbalanced that, to price it accordingly, you have to spend gold, or a ridiculous amount of credits, to get it. If you have to price something so high, then you are practically admitting that it shouldn't be in game.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
3 hours ago, Prinzy said:

To be honest all ammo's changes in that game is the fire chance. It does not offer more penetration. Flying is more skills base. If you can dog fight or dodge being tailed you're fine. Plus the fact they can be only bought with gold mean less people use them in general. World of Tanks had them yeah, but can be acquired with credits. I do load about dozen on my tanks to make it up again upped tiers or some tank with too sturdy front, it's not that bad.

I am not defending the ammunition's at all nor that it's nice from War gaming to use them. But the influence is actually minor. And I doubt we will see Nuclear shells in World of Warships.

Edit: One important thing: CREW MATTER A LOT IN WOWP AND WOT! The ammo it self is not everything!

The thing is, most times, once someone is on your tail, you can shake them if they have the tiniest bit of skill. Even I could sit on someone's 6 oclock and just hose them down with .50s until they died. Hell, I even saw a couple people try really hard to break away from me but then just give up and accept their death. Part of that issue I believe is the scale of that game... the maps feel tiny, the speed is way too fast, and everything just feels cramped, which means its really hard to pull proper maneuvers that are basic things to do in say, WT air realistic (which is SO much better, and doesn't have gold ammo)

And its not just fire chance that gold ammo changes. Thats the high explosive incendiary rounds. The high explosive rounds basically take out modules left and right with ease, something that universal rounds dont seem to do as often. And speaking of universal rounds, that ALL I used on any of my planes. The problem I was seeing however, was that I was getting completely and utterly destroyed so damn quickly, yet I wasn't able to kill planes fast enough. It was like my guns were doing half the damage other people's guns were doing to me. 

Oh, and not to mention, the seal clubbing in that game was just out of control. The amount of games where one team got completely steam rolled to kingdom come was insane... out of the 26 battles I played, only ONE battle was actually a close one. Every other battle was completely lopsided.

6 hours ago, Speedstang said:

I really don't see where you're coming from. Honestly the universal ammo does a lot better and can be bought for credits, very cheap too. It's far more consistent. I barely started playing and I've been able to do quite decently at tier 5 in different classes without firing any gold ammo. The gold ammo is nothing like the gold ammo in WoT, which is essentially an I win button. Just stock up on universal ammo and you're set.

Thing is, I WAS stocking up on universal, but I wasn't seeing much difference in ttk. However, once I hit tier 5, I was facing off against spitfires and fully upgraded P-40s and a ton of other really good planes that would just completely and utterly shrek me while I couldn't do anything. I try breaking them off my tail, I try running, but none of the tactics I normally use in WT seemed to work at all. They just stuck to my rear and laid into me doing massive amounts of damage over a short period of time until I was dead. And dont tell me "well just dodge them!" because I was able to sit behind them and do almost the same thing, it just took longer for me to do so...

[-AL-]
[-AL-]
Members
715 posts
Just now, Kitsunelegend said:

WT air realistic (which is SO much better, and doesn't have gold ammo)

First mistake right here. Wargaming is arcade, War Thunder is simulator and pretty bad to my taste personally. War Thunder also push for Realism but has it's own failures at it as well. (I won't line them all out but still.) I like my games to be fun, If I wanted to play simulator sure War Thunder could seem interesting, but sadly it's not my cup of tea despite having gave it a fair amount of time.

Wargaming pushes for Arcade style, attempting to create competitive aspect and an esport scene. Is it realism? There is some aspect of it yes, but not the entire game is based around, else Captain / Crew / Pilots skills would not impact a vehicle so much. Is it fun? To me it is, I like grinding and being able to have fun in what I worked for.

So I am sorry again, but comparing War Thunder to World of Warplanes / Tanks is like comparing oranges to apple. Yes both a fruit, but quite different.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
1 minute ago, Prinzy said:

War Thunder is simulator

jPahGfD.gif

Btw, all I was saying was that WT doesn't have gold ammo, and being able to break someone off your tail is a legit tactic that is pretty easy to do if you do it right, where as WoWP has gold ammo, and once someone is stuck on your tail, you're going to die no matter what unless that person is one of the worst players ever.

[-AL-]
[-AL-]
Members
715 posts
1 minute ago, Kitsunelegend said:

jPahGfD.gif

Btw, all I was saying was that WT doesn't have gold ammo, and being able to break someone off your tail is a legit tactic that is pretty easy to do if you do it right, where as WoWP has gold ammo, and once someone is stuck on your tail, you're going to die no matter what unless that person is one of the worst players ever.

I am not sure what's hilarious about it. it is actually more simulator based.

And no I can still manage to destroy people without the use of opening my wallet or Wot gold to take out someone in a single go with the basic ammo as well. The premium clip is simply more prone to incendiary. So laugh all you want, I am just done coming reply here. It's okay that you do not like the game, no one forces you to play WoWP. I enjoy the change personally and I got T7 in it. Something I thought I'd never do before.

Have a good day! 

[UEFN]
Members
473 posts
4,239 battles
13 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

The thing is, most times, once someone is on your tail, you can shake them if they have the tiniest bit of skill. Even I could sit on someone's 6 oclock and just hose them down with .50s until they died. Hell, I even saw a couple people try really hard to break away from me but then just give up and accept their death. Part of that issue I believe is the scale of that game... the maps feel tiny, the speed is way too fast, and everything just feels cramped, which means its really hard to pull proper maneuvers that are basic things to do in say, WT air realistic (which is SO much better, and doesn't have gold ammo)

And its not just fire chance that gold ammo changes. Thats the high explosive incendiary rounds. The high explosive rounds basically take out modules left and right with ease, something that universal rounds dont seem to do as often. And speaking of universal rounds, that ALL I used on any of my planes. The problem I was seeing however, was that I was getting completely and utterly destroyed so damn quickly, yet I wasn't able to kill planes fast enough. It was like my guns were doing half the damage other people's guns were doing to me. 

Oh, and not to mention, the seal clubbing in that game was just out of control. The amount of games where one team got completely steam rolled to kingdom come was insane... out of the 26 battles I played, only ONE battle was actually a close one. Every other battle was completely lopsided.

Thing is, I WAS stocking up on universal, but I wasn't seeing much difference in ttk. However, once I hit tier 5, I was facing off against spitfires and fully upgraded P-40s and a ton of other really good planes that would just completely and utterly shrek me while I couldn't do anything. I try breaking them off my tail, I try running, but none of the tactics I normally use in WT seemed to work at all. They just stuck to my rear and laid into me doing massive amounts of damage over a short period of time until I was dead. And dont tell me "well just dodge them!" because I was able to sit behind them and do almost the same thing, it just took longer for me to do so...

One thing to note, this is way different from War Thunder. I've tried to play that game a couple times and I can't manage to get a single kill and just get murdered at the start. Meanwhile I try WoWp and I'm top 3 on the team score quite consistently. My point is you can't play at all like WT. They're two very different games. I'm flying in this game the way I did back on some old aircraft games on the PS2. Probably not realistic at all but it sure is fun.  You basically just have to mess with your speed and steer a lot. You can usually reverse the situation when someone is on your six. (Assuming you're a fighter/multirole fighter.)