You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

A question of ethics

54 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,584 battles

I'm currently playing cruisers and dds at Tier 4-5, mostly with the IJN and USN lines but with some Russian and German boats mixed in.  A few USN BBs but not much and no CVs.

I still have the Black Swan (Tier 1).  If I'm having a particularly bad day, I load her up and pound the snot out of some new folks.  It wasn't that long ago that I WAS one of those new folks.

Not exactly a good way to encourage new players to continue with the game, clubbing them like that.  In the short term, I feel better, but then I feel guilty later.

What do you think, time to sell her and take away the temptation?

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,853 battles

No worse than me still having my Clemson in port. 

Honestly, as long as you're not a **** about things, and try to make things more enjoyable (for your team or the enemies) I'd say theres no problem with it. 

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

It's a game.  If you want to club people at tier 1 to have a good time, then club people at tier 1.  The point is to have an enjoyable experience.  Do whatever you need to do to have fun.  There is nothing wrong, immoral, unethical, etc about clubbing new, inexperienced, less skilled players.  If its red, shoot it.

• Cool 7

[KOHAI]
Members
1,694 posts
6,000 battles

If you really want to...

But tier 3 is definitely more fun. 

[--K--]
Members
5,386 posts
17,838 battles

I wouldn't worry about because WG created a seal sanctuary that is protected from predators like you. 

A while back they created two walls to protect lower tier ships and new players. The first and well know wall is the Tier 4 wall which protects Tier 4s from Tier 6s. The second lesser know wall protects new players who have few battles from players who have a lot of battles. 

So its very likely that you aren't playing against new players on their first day. 

Edited by RedSeaBear

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,584 battles

Thk, RedSeaBear, that makes me feel better.  Interesting enough, once I posted this I did play the Black Swan, but I chose to be a teacher.  I texted to my team at the beginning that everyone should buddy up and attack as pairs (good strategy for newbies).  I was rewarded by one of my own team who started to fire at me and took 1/3 of my hit points before I could take him out (first time that THAT has ever happened to me in any battle so for....approaching 1500).  Not sure what that was all about, so if anyone has an explanation?

Regardless, my team didn't win, but they came close and I did teach them some strategy.  To be fair, I think the Red team was as stunned as I was at the beginning of the game when my own team-mate tried to take me out (based on their comments) so they didn't push as hard as they could have.

The moral of the story?.....you don't have to be a jerk at Tier I, you can chose to be a mentor.  You still get to be the biggest badass but your a GOOD badass. 

• Cool 1

Members
363 posts
11,757 battles

New new players can't even play in Random battles.  Random Battles need to be unlocked by reaching a certain level, so everyone you are playing with probably has at least a tier 3 somewhere.  Are they still new, yeah, but they at least have a few games.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,243 battles

I suggest you get on Warships today. There are players with thousands of battles in T1 cruisers, many of them. Lot fewer seals than you think....

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,584 battles

About that Tier III thing.....Megadeux mentioned it too.  At least for me, Tier III is not a slam dunk yet.  I don't seal club anyone at Tier III.  I get my fair share of HPs, but I also die a fair bit as well.

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,584 battles

Still wondering about that team mate trying to take me out first thing just because I suggested a strategy.  Every game I play is recorded.  Should I review the recording and report them?

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,296 battles
Just now, Kevik70 said:

59f2c3f0e2d81_Sealclubbingalotofsealrelatedcontenthasbeen_b7133c_5901531.jpg.1aae358f92d1aef7c30474559ee4f4c6.jpg

I'm honestly surprised I'm the first to post something like this in this thread. I mean come on its so obvious yet so funny at the same time.....

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,584 battles

Kevik70, are you suggesting that they were right to try and kill me?  If they were another experienced player, wouldn't it have been more civil to ask me to hang back and let the new folks work it out for themselves?  I would have responded to that request.

[KOHAI]
Members
1,694 posts
6,000 battles

Nope!  The newbies at those tiers need to learn the hard way like the rest of us.  By bieng mercilessly dismembered by a super unicum from teir 10.

• Cool 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,296 battles
5 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Kevik70, are you suggesting that they were right to try and kill me?  If they were another experienced player, wouldn't it have been more civil to ask me to hang back and let the new folks work it out for themselves?  I would have responded to that request.

I'm just saying seals will be clubbed. Tier 4 is about the lowest I'll go.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts

On a serious note, I once studied philosophy for a good number of years. At least if you adhere to virtue ethics, if you even have to ask the question "is it ethical?" then you probably already have the answer that it is not. This is because your "inner voice" is the conscious expression of your general virtuous character, which opposes the action.

• Cool 2

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
50 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

If they can't handle getting rekt a few times they don't really want to play anyway.

Yup! They're gonna get rekt sooner or later. Might as well get 'em used to it right from the start. :cap_rambo:

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

I wouldn't worry about because WG created a seal sanctuary that is protected from predators like you. 

A while back they created two walls to protect lower tier ships and new players. The first and well know wall is the Tier 4 wall which protects Tier 4s from Tier 6s. The second lesser know wall protects new players who have few battles from players who have a lot of battles. 

So its very likely that you aren't playing against new players on their first day. 

I believe this is correct.

1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

I suggest you get on Warships today. There are players with thousands of battles in T1 cruisers, many of them. Lot fewer seals than you think....

Someone once openly admitted playing one T1 ship, literally, thousands of times. You cam make your own conclusion about that.

I wouldn't worry at all about the ethics of playing a T1 ship sometimes. Lots of players with T10 ships play low tiers.

I have 40 ships I play regularly & I have T1s ( to train Cpts for upcoming tech tree lines) to a T10 (more T 6s - 8s) & I randomize what I play (for the most part).

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

the T1 you play is different from the T1 new players play. WG created a system that keeps new players from facing experienced ones for their first so many battles. if they're still in T1 after that period, they're fair game. no ethics involved.

if you want my advice though, don't get too used to playing T1 unless that's all you want to play. T1 doesn't teach you the tactics you need to survive at higher tiers. trust me, the more you play the normal tiers, the more you'll get used to it, the better you'll get, and the more fun you'll have. if you're too used to playing T1 and you want to keep going up the tiers, you'll develop some very bad habits that will make your time there much less enjoyable.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
31 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

If your highest tier ships are 4/5 then most players in the game regard YOU as the seal.

The Pacific Northwest can be a spooky place at times. I once read a collection of stories set there, by an author whose name I can't remember. One story involved some campers who were being stalked by a cult, the gist of it being that the cult members considered themselves as sea lions, with the campers merely their piscine prey. Just at the point where the campers were about to be killed, someone even scarier showed up and took out the cult members. The moral of the story being that even if you are a top predator, somewhere in that cold ocean swims the shark.

• Cool 1