Pigeon_of_War

CONTEST: Bringing on New Players

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

149 posts in this topic

I posted about the tutorial and tutorial missions a while back (perhaps with a free ship for completing?)

Anyway, Something to add. A tutorial on how to spec a ship, what signals are for, and how to run through the modules, upgrades, ammo, and consumables. 

I'd be happy to write scripts. 

1.  Enable the Training Room, make it like any other battle mode for all players. Training rooms are there for training.  Why not put it to use instead of leaving newer players wondering how to even turn it on.

2.  Mentor program.  Get a list of volunteer mentors (recommend they have 3,000 battles plus), a WTR over 1200, and a solid standing in the community; i.e. Strong reputation on the boards 50+ and or Karma +50.

We have been grooming players within our own clan for months and many have gone from average to slightly above average to near Unicum and beyond.  Just have the mentors sign up like the corgi captains, have a team speak or discord and then assign players from another thread based on a wants /needs analysis.  The community is here, we will respond.  Just ask.

(i havent read through the others but i do hope nobody has put this yet) have something like theres a select few people that have a bit of experience in the game (unicums, good people, average those kind) that can be a teacher and teach and help the player with the game. put like where the division button is have a button where it sends those select few players who can help a message asking for a division and for help on the game 

dang it someone said this already nvm

Edited by LycorisFubuki

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Pigeon_of_War said:

-Do you want something like a mentor system? Tell me more about it.

I think this would be the best thing possible for the game, I know when I first started this game I was more than a little lost, but I was lucky I found a mentor - @OtterWolf he helped me a lot answering questions, giving me hints on game play, etc.. Along with all the CC's video I found on YouTube.

I played a game called Ultima Online - they had Counselor's had some of the powers of staff in game, which I do not think is needed here. But maybe give these mentors - Sea Daddies (a name from my Navy Days Definition of sea-daddy: a skilled seaman who is detailed to instruct young or green hands.), some special Title, Flag, Account or Camo which does nothing more than identify them. They could come into game short of like the Corgi fleet (no prize for sinking them), and division up with players who have requested help.

These Counselor would still earn the normal XP, Silver, etc. from the games but would get a 10% cut on upkeep cost of the ships they use ONLY while being a Counselor. As far other rewards, maybe some short of drawing at the end of each month where the picked Counselors would have a chance to win some short of prize - doubloons, ship, etc. If you really wanted to mix it up (and I am not sure how your game is coded) you give the Counselor's a special ship that matches the player's who asked for help i.e. if the player is in a battleship the Counselors shows up in the same type/tier of battleship.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

I kind of like the rental system for clan wars, maybe a system with lower tiered ships could be used to allow new players to try a ship class before committing to a specific line. Could rotate the ships given every major update like the clan wars rentals. I'm thinking maybe wait till a player reaches either a certain tier or commander level before just handing a new player a ship to try.

1. Let new players play in a special co-op mode that allows them to rent high tier ships after they complete so many random games. This will give new players a better idea of what ship lines they would like to grind. 

2. Create a link in the client for each ship that takes you to training videos of how best to play that ship. 

The basic training vids on TankRewards.com for WOT are really good. The Tank Academy idea could work in World of Warships as well.

They are not only good but there is in game incentives to do view them.

The image has some references to my previous posts, but its pretty self explanatory.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iDqEj_gSkeBVMrMWPWVgraXeQ-LCtv_A

I can`t seem to embed the image so I have put the drive link up and two images below. I am not able to get the zoom right if I use any other way, and the image the is unreadable :P

Flow1.thumb.PNG.cee546f7d0dca347076d848a73be701f.PNGFlow3.thumb.PNG.3a0d2093312fdba22cf072b0373edcd8.PNG

I took two snips using the windows snipping tool and tried to align them.

Edited by Silver_kun

I actually decided to start a new player tonight (for my wife mainly), I watch the videos out of curiosity but I think a step by step guide as some of the Community Contributors have made works better. 

That said I think low tier missions that teach basics for each class would work well also. The tutorial from OBT was a nice start but ones for each class explaining damage control, not shooting torpedos in front of allies, HE/AP usage, ect

I found it easier to just sit with her and explain what I'm doing and why I'm doing it and having her play and telling her in a "nice non yelling" way what to do lol

Edited by Psycodiver

On 11/13/2017 at 10:02 PM, OgreMkV said:

I posted about the tutorial and tutorial missions a while back (perhaps with a free ship for completing?)

Anyway, Something to add. A tutorial on how to spec a ship, what signals are for, and how to run through the modules, upgrades, ammo, and consumables. 

I'd be happy to write scripts. 

Have some ideas for the reward ships.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:07 PM, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Cruiser: USS Olympia Tier II (I agree with @Kitsunelegend she would be a great tier 2). Missions unlocked at first cruiser purchase.

Destroyer: IJN Sakara Tier II (Tachibana's sister ship). Missions unlocked at first destroyer purchase.

Battleship: SMS Seydiltz Tier III (WW I-era battlecruiser that served with distinction at Jutland, survived to armistice). Missions unlocked at first battleship purchase.

Aircraft Carrier: HMS Hermes or MN Commandant Teste Tier IV (HMS Hermes was the first ship designed to be an Aircraft carrier but Hosho was launched and commissioned first) (Commandant Teste was technically a seaplane tender but the other option Bearn wouldn't fit a tier IV with a 40 aircraft plane capacity). Missions unlocked at first aircraft carrier purchase. 

These missions would be available to new and veteran players to play at any time (rewards only give once).

A BIG problem I'm having is getting my 3 Veteran buddies and 2 non-Vets, to stay interested. As we want to play as a group, the COOP ("The" leaning place) will not let over 3 into a group and it's frustrating to them. There should be no problem with changing the value setting to allow 5 to 6 in a group. Any complaints as to "CLAN" do not apply in the COOP realm and are plain silly.

I would say that giving players tutorial videos on each nation branch and the strengths and weaknesses of each ship type of the branch (i.e: Japan's BBs are __________ but are prone to__________, so it's best to play them ____________. These are best for players that like to play as ____________ or ________. On the other hand, Japan's DDs are _________, so it's better to play them like ________). Doing this will help the players with a baseline playing style until they start to develop their own preferences for their own ships. These videos could be posted to Youtube or the WoWs website, and a link could be provided when a new player logs in for the first few times so that they have access to them without having to find them manually.

I saw a post further up that had something about a mentor program, which actually sounds like a really good idea

9 hours ago, OldHippie72 said:

A BIG problem I'm having is getting my 3 Veteran buddies and 2 non-Vets, to stay interested. As we want to play as a group, the COOP ("The" leaning place) will not let over 3 into a group and it's frustrating to them. There should be no problem with changing the value setting to allow 5 to 6 in a group. Any complaints as to "CLAN" do not apply in the COOP realm and are plain silly.

This is absolutely true.  

Clearly the programming allows for different division sizes based upon game mode (no division for ranked, 3 players for random and 7 allowed for Operations, with 7 only of same clan tag for clan battles).  So why can't divisions of up to 12 be allowed for CoOp with a spread of 3 tiers (ie 4, 5, 6 or 6, 7, 8, etc)

@Pigeon_of_War Nice the games out on steam :). Surprised me because I though It would have been quite some time before the steam release, will have a look at it soon...

I'm not even sure this is possible, but what would really help new players, in addition to the generic and overly generalized tutorial vids, would be an index of sorts which would point new players to various YouTube videos produced by the WoW CC team. Newer players could pick and  choose amongst the various types and classes of CV's, BB's, DD's, and cruisers, learning the strong and weak points of each, and make intelligent decisions with regards to purchasing and outfitting them.

An additional index that would be extremely helpful would be an index of all of @LittleWhiteMouse's reviews (along with any other CC's who publish reviews in the Forum), especially the ones she has recently updated, which are a huge assistance to anyone considering either a premium or a line ship.

IMHO, educating any player is best done by that player as only he or she knows where their strengths and weaknesses lie. By indexing and publishing this data the player base as a whole would benefit by being able to access the needed information more readily and more easily.

I think Pigeon of War alluded to an interesting idea that some other posters expanded on pretty successfully. Implementing some form of mentoring program for new players could be an excellent way to teach upcoming captains the basic skills necessary to succeed in the game. It should be readily available, but optional.

Firstly, veteran players would need to apply, and be selected, as Mentors. To apply some minimum criteria must be met. For example: 1,500 matches played (preferably PvP in my opinion), at least 50 matches played in Tier XIII ships or higher, and a review of the players history with any rule violations, TKing, being AFK, etc... I would caution away from any specific statistic based minimums, like win rate, as many veteran players may not have particularly great stats, but could still be excellent resources to new players. If something like win rate were to be considered in the application process, I would recommend setting a minimum a bit lower than average (high enough to block out exceptionally poor players, but low enough to encourage veteran players who had a rough first thousand matches to still apply).

Mentors should be able to division up with Mentees for tutorial missions to assist with the early development of basic control usage, simple game mechanics, and rudimentary skill application. In addition, Training Room should also be available for Mentors and Mentees. This would allow Mentors to have access to a controlled environment to teach Mentees some of the more advanced game mechanics such as armor angling, AA stacking, etc...

WoWs is no stranger to trolls, and even having an application system to weed out poor Mentors won't stop them from sneaking in to such a program. New players are in a delicate and precarious position. Having a troll for a Mentor could immediately discourage any player from wanting to get involved further. There would certainly need to be some form of feedback available for Mentees to rate Mentors. This feedback system would need to be very simple to use and must allow Mentees to complain about, or compliment, their Mentors in an anonymous fashion. Providing an incentive to Mentors who consistently receive high ratings from Mentees could also be useful. I would suggest a small doubloon bonus for a perfect rating or something similar. WG would want to make sure this couldn't be abused of course, so limiting the amount of times such a bonus can be received per month would be a simple solution.

Providing an incentive for new players and Mentors to get involved would be an excellent way to get candidates for this program. I think Sirius_Patton laid out an excellent example for such a system.

Benefits for new players divisioning with a Mentor:*
1 game with a Mentor= 3 day premium time
5 games with a Mentor= One tier 2 premium ship (not provided by a referral code)
10 games with a Mentor= 10,000 free experience
20 games with a Mentor= One tier 5 premium ship (not provided by a referral code)
30 games with a Mentor= Unique "Graduate" flag, provides 5% credit and experience bonus

Benefits for Mentors divisioning with a new player:*
10 games with a new player= 3 days premium time
20 games with a new player= USS Texas (usually provided by a referral code, given as a thank you for supporting the community)
30 games with a new player= 1 week premium time
40 games with a new player= 40,000 free experience
50 games with a new player= Unique "Mentor" flag, provides 5% credit and experience bonus

*Number of battles/rewards may be adjusted as WG sees fit.

-Sirius_Patton

Also, a system for Mentors to provide a large amount of information is advisable. Perhaps a section of the forums or wiki that is devoted to Mentors posting about mechanics, skills, builds, tactics, etc... This could even be allowing Mentors to post directly to the How To guides on the WoWs website or in the game launcher while new players download. This would both work as an easy way to disseminate the information the Mentors are preaching, and as an advertisement to new players to get involved with the Mentoring program.

Lastly, a catchy name for the program is a must. I would suggest something like Captains 2 Captains, Motions of the Oceans, Boat Stuff, The  Manator Program (its a play on manatee... Get it? please laugh), or something similar. I bet The URL Guy could come with an excellent name that is punny, relevant, and stoic enough to be taken seriously.

I'm sure this could be expanded on further, and other people have replied with similar ideas. I strongly advocate for a mentoring program to be implemented as I believe it would be an excellent way to get new players involved in the community, while teaching them new skills, and a way for veteran players to give back to community they love and feel as if they're helping build the future of this game. 

I was playing CVs this PTS version, trying to improve my play and was glancing through the tips. 

So, I noticed that the tips didn't contain anything CV specific in particular and so I was wondering whether some specific tips could also be added, like the ALT manual aim  

Or something like this explaining each Number and the reticule

rk8vi1.jpg.57c7bff3f4932140d308def64a0b4d4d.jpg

Also maybe something about the Alternative Mouse Controls and it's similarity to RTS games and combining squadrons using the SHIFT key that *may* be faster once mastered.

There Maybe other things that could be added also...

I'm seeing a lot of requests for a mentor program. Are there other ideas as well?

Well, there is the clan-based improved training room. It's not a Mentor program, per se, but a great tool and a good incentive to clan up, (or was it "Keep Clan"), now I'm hungry, lol.

It is a very good idea, we have a Academy Clan for tier 2 through 4 to help those new to the game, when they are confident enough with there ship or ship's we transfer over to main clan and bring in more new Academy members. It works really well for us.

Rather than a dry tutorial, why not build a story mode that both teaches skills and exposes new players to a taste of the different tiers?  It seems to me that this could incorporate aspects of history and naval development, which would encourage those who love the ships themselves.  Taking the scripted missions across tiers would give people exposure to the upper tiers, both to see how the game changes and to encourage new players to move up the tech trees.

6 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

I'm seeing a lot of requests for a mentor program. Are there other ideas as well?

While I think a mentor program might work, it seems a bit iffy. One, new players might not feel comfortable interacting with someone else that teaches them how to play (although I might be completely wrong here). It also could lead to problems if rewards are offered for it, because some people would likely just find a way to abuse it to get rewards.

Pigeon,

I'm sure you've gotten a lot of replays and I'm sure not all of this is unique, but here's my two cents.  

In terms of tutorials, I think warships needs hands on tutorial campaigns with a tutorial campaign for each ship class, as well as videos demonstrating the basics and some of the games more advanced mechanics.  Nobody really wants to play a tutorial campaign, but no one really wants to play tier I boats either.  Hence, give new players access to high tier boats like Iowa, or Yamato for tutorial campaign missions.  After all, high tier boats are the reason players come to the game.  Also, let the tutorial boats have 19 point captains that new players can respec for free so they can get a feel for what good captain builds look like and how captain skills change in-game performance.  

The tutorial campaigns for each ship class can be modeled on the science of victory campaign but take place in a PvP mode that only allows for new players to enter this mode.  To restrict entry I think the tutorial campaign boats should be taken away after 500 battles or so to prevent seal clubbing. I think the campaigns should be shorter than science of victory and have reasonable goal objectives like: score a citadel hit, survive a battle, use 3 consumables during a battle.  Most importantly, I think at least one of the campaigns should be completed before PvP mode is unlocked for random battles outside of tutorial campaigns.  If players complete all of the tutorial campaigns they ought to get a big reward, maybe a week of premium, or let them pick one ship from a selection of premiums.  This would also encourage new players to finish all the campaigns.  

Lastly, I don’t think the campaign needs to be mandatory.  Players ought to be able to hop in Erie and play PvE if they wish.  However, I thinkthe completion of 1 tutorial campaign should be mandatory before PvP mode is unlocked for matches undertaken outside the tutorial campaign.  This would steer players toward learning some aspects of the game before they rush to join PvP battles against experienced players without practice.

Accompanying the campaigns, I think there should be a set of video guides that can be found in a readily marked place on the port screen.  These videos ought to be as short as possible.   As annoying as it may be, I think new players should be prompted to browse through these the first few times they login to play.  Here’s a short list of some essential topics:

1.     Navigating and capping,

2.     Aiming/leading targets, ammunition types

3.     Torpedo use

4.     Armor angling or how to protect your citadel

5.     Consumables

6.     Captains skills, flags, camouflages, ship modifications

iChase had a great set of videos covering all of these topics and I strongly support his videos because they taught me a lot when I first started playing although they tended to be long.  Also, in addition to these basics, I think there should be another set of videos covering some advanced topics.  Some might balk at including concepts like penetration mechanics but understanding how penetration mechanics work is essential to being a great player.  Smoke mechanics are another topic I think needs a good video. Again, iChase did a great job explaining many advanced concepts like this.  Lastly, I feel like all carrier videos fall in the advanced category because the ship class is just completely different from the others. 

Thanks for reading pigeon!

Edited by CAPT_BAIUS
Last minute adjustment and grammar

One of the most important ideas in this game is proper angling of a ship.  You really have to see it in order to believe it.  Give the player control over just the turrets of a pensacola and put a few cruisers around him at various angles.  Force the player to shoot at the side of each ship and point out how easy it is to get a citadel on some of those ships at a certain angle, while shots bounce at others.  

The most mindblowing "oh, I get it" moment I had while learning this game was how you can get citadels on other ships just based on angling.  That lesson needs to be more widely spread.