Pigeon_of_War

CONTEST: Bringing on New Players

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

154 posts in this topic

Well for stater`s lets accept it you can`t make a guide for wows that is compact and defines all the important information and over that the reader should be able to consume all that knowledge in the first place.So I suggest that you could leave the links to some WoWs you-tubers or some specific videos that may benefit the newbie in his endeavor to master game mechanics.

You could create a table like this:                                                                           

Youtuber Link to Channel
ichasegaming/Mighty jingles/etc  " link "
Notser/Flamu/etc  " link "

OR   

Game mechanic Link to video
Angling "link"
Aiming "link"

Also,

Most of the players never even check out the forum and *I* personally learned a lot through the forums and got acquainted with fellow players. Therefore I say it is a must to leave a link to the forum and highlight its benefits.

Another idea of mine was to create another tab in port "Extra Information". This could give a little bit more history of the ship, its advantages and disadvantages , a link to its WoWs wiki page and other bits and pieces of useful information. (Of the selected ship)

And someone really has to update the wows wiki page, I have searched up a ton of ships as i found it useful and the suggestions were useful too but seriously the archive is not up to date completely. Although it has been some time since my last visit maybe a little more focus there would improve the page.

Also you could set up a group of volunteers for the first wave of incoming players when the game hits steam. Maybe just for a while to help the hopefully huge influx of new players.

You could also give the new players a few camo rewards as they level up to keep them interested. Don`t take it the wrong way, I love the game and know others do but its just not the piece of cake for some, so keeping them hooked till the real fun starts would be nice.

I would advice not to keep rewards for a mentoring system except few camos, I am sure it will screw up the economy and everyone will search for new players to mentor and pester them to death.

And as for the mentoring system you could create a separate chat channel to search for mentors and create another tab like the divisions one for people looking for mentors and another one for people offering to be mentors.

You could keep mentoring simple. You could create special "mentoring divisions" and create a special game mode for mentoring purposes where basic ships shall be provided and the mentor shall instruct his trainees so to say.

Well i guess that sums its up, If better ideas shall enlighten me I will try to post them as soon as possible.

Thanks if you read this all.... really.

Let us hope the image below represents new player to old player ratio.

Spoiler

99-1-percent.jpg

On 10/30/2017 at 9:56 AM, SoftAndCute said:

I think there should be a way to match new players and experienced players with decent stat and Karma Points in random battles if both parties agree to participate. I put stat requirement since you learn good things from good players otherwise they will end up learning bad habits. Karma points minimum will make sure that toxic players will be excluded.

The best way to train new player is by playing random battles after they learn some basics in coop and watching videos on their own. There should be some sort of reward system for people forming div with new players and win the battles in random. Rewards can be XP, credits, special flags or even a unique reward ship after completing certain numbers of battles with new players.

You need incentives for good players for spending their time helping out new players. In addition, good players are defined by their stat ( that's how you determine if a player is good or not) and they are putting their stat on the line by playing random in div with new players. This is not a selfish statement, I'm just being practical.

I have 300 karma, yet you would probably call me toxic because of this forum.

6 hours ago, Pulicat said:

I have 300 karma, yet you would probably call me toxic because of this forum.

300 Karma is considered quite good but Dort would probably disagree. 

Hello Pigeon,

As it stands, I feel like certain things are not explained very well to new players. The Co-Op mode does a alright job of teaching new players certain things, but I feel it still just kinda throws them out in a ship to learn under fire. Here is my suggestion.

In order for new players to understand things such a citadel penetrations, I would put it in the starting tutorial and have the new players in a battleship to have them shoot at a broadside cruiser or another battleship. You could have an actual point for them to aim at so that it hits the citadel of the ship. I feel like this would help to explain how much damage citadel penetrations do and then you could tell them that by angling their ship, they could avoid getting these citadel penetrations (without getting too technical with bow armor overmatch, cause they are beginners). Second I would try to explain the detection system to them a little better, by having 3 AI ships, a destroyer, a cruiser, and a battleship, move in and out of the detection ranges so that they will pop in and out of being detected. I feel like this will help the new players understand, roughly, the detection mechanic. Another thing that I would explain to them is when to use AP and when to HE ammo. To have them try this, you could place a battleship broadside on and have them use AP and show them the damage that can occur, and then another angled battleship that will show how much damage is mitigated from the battleship angling. After that have them fire HE at the bow on/ angled battleship and show them that they can still do consistent damage and even set the bow in battleship on fire. I'm going to provide an example from anther hobby on mine, flight simulation. Although not directly related, the way that the learning about the sim is done for new simmers is that they have missions for specific aspects of the sim, such as takeoff procedures and landing procedures, etc. All of these missions are guided by a voice narrator all the way through so that the person is able to understand and comprehend what they are doing so that they are able to repeat it easily outside of the mission. I feel like this could work very well in WoWS by having specific missions for how to play types such as destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and carriers and then maybe sub missions on things more specific to those ship types.

I do feel like a mentor system is a good idea, because I have not only noticed it in WoWS, but also in WoT, that when it comes to New players, sometimes they don't know that what they are doing is a bad habit that can be fixed, because no one usually tells them so that they can easily correct it. I think you could do a different division type, if that makes sense. You could have the normal divisions, and then have a mentor division, where it is limited to the mentor and the new player. You could limit the tier that that mentor and player division is allowed to play up to, for example max at tier 5, because I feel like most bad habits are learned from tier 1 to tier 5. You could also add some incentives for the new players to find a mentor to player with by possibly introducing small rewards for battles played with a mentor. You could add incentives for them to do more damage average per game. Here's what I mean by that, you could start it at lets say 20k damage per game for 2 or 3 games. Then move it to 30k for 2 or 3 games, then 40k for 2 or 3 games. I feel once a new player is averaging on minimum 40-50k damage per game, that they will not only be an already more competent and aware player, but they will understand how to position in order to do damage to help their team.

Sorry to everyone reading, but I wanted to get all my thought out correctly.

Panic

Now for the tutorial...

Compulsory

Optional

|                                                                                                                  |

|                                                                                                                  | 

|                                                                                      ______________|_______________

Basic Game mechanics

Aiming

- Static & Dynamic cross-hairs

-Torpedo aiming system and white marker

- Use of alt or battle interface to help improve aim noting seconds to target

- importance of lead time and correlation to shell velocity (This people pick up so not really necessary) 

- Where to fire (mid-ship, waterline, etc) depending on type of ammo equipped.

- Shattering mechanic

Angling

- Benefits of angling

- How HE ammo type can be used when opponent is angling

- effective Armour increase through angling

- effective use of turrets while maximizing angling

Overmatch mechanic

- Shell caliber to Armour thickness relation and reasons for overmatch

Commanders 

- Benefits of commander`s skills

- Importance to spec commanders correctly

- The skills certain classes benefit through and the skills that are useless to the classes

|                                                           |  

Totally optional

- Clan benefits

- Inventory information

- Unified Premium time

- Chat channels

- Youtubers?

- Seasonal/permanent/rare campaign details

| 

Optional (only till a certain level)

Karma points

- How they are increased by compliments and reduced by reports

- "Your good and bad deeds" sounds a bit to vague, maybe a Little more detail? But if you wanted it to sound vague then its perfect

Team killing, its repercussions and the rewards you can get for not damaging allies  (FTW camo?)

In-game economy and servicing and ammo costs

Manual-drop ordinance information and carrier unique play details

You could then again utilize self made or videos from other sources (Youtube)

This is just a rough flowchart/concept chart,I think there is space for improvement but i think i spent one and a half hours making this and trying to be utmost precise and not boring. So for now i guess it`s a good reference.

And again if more ideas shall pass my mind i will attempt to post them as soon as possible.

I hope my colour schemes do not hurt your eyes but I did not want it to be a boring wall of Text.(Though the effort involved was enormous)

Oh I forgot to add, Citadels and detonations may be put in the compulsory or optional(to a certain level) categories.

But.. I just think that would ruin the surprise of detonating someone or getting detonated. They just have a fun element to them I personally wouldn't want to ruin it (fun till you are on the receiving end).

According to me the achievement more than makes up for it. :Smile-_tongue:

My idea is to fix matchmaking a little bit.  The alternative is making sure that matchmaking goes by the lowest tier in the battle, +1.  That means if the lowest tier is 5, then the highest possible tier in the battle can be 6.  This does NOT effect tier 8, 9, and 10 however.

#MyTwoCents

I haven't looked at other individuals' postings, but I do like the idea of a mentor style program.

There are two specific ideas I have. First, I think you should implement training rooms and then through the training rooms, host live-stream events in which developers or experienced gamers (perhaps those who have streaming experience and are good at the game) could teach various lessons. These lessons could consist from using a specific line to using a particular ship. The reason I suggest training rooms is that instead of just having a live-stream, you can turn it into an invitational in which newer players could be offered, or apply to be offered the chance to personally game with a developer/experienced gamer.

The second idea I have would be to create a large in-game clan for those who are new to the game. For example, when you start playing the game, you would automatically be thrown into a "learning" clan. However, this clan would also consist of "trainer accounts" which selected, experienced players are given access to. Here, the experienced players would be able to provide their expertise by answering questions, offering to division with new players, or even just relaying new players to material that they believe is helpful to learning the game.

On a side note, whatever you consider adding (in case you haven't thought about it already), I think one thing you should keep in mind is how to continue building a better WoWS community. Player retention is easy when the individual joining the game is joining because his friends play; his friends give him a reason to stay. Player retention becomes more difficult when the individual joins, but has no ties to the game. Whatever you do decide, ensure that it creates as many avenues as possible for new players to build connections with the community so that retention is more likely.

Thank you for your time.

Add single-player "tutorial" scenarios that are specifically designed to teach and practice certain skills. For example: a "torpedo tutorial" scenario in which guns are disabled and the player is required to achieve a certain number of torpedo hits against enemy bots without torpedoing any friendly bots or getting torpedoed themselves. Or an "AA tutorial" in which the player is attacked by waves of aircraft, but no ships, and has to dodge and shoot down as many aircraft as they can. This would give new players a chance to experiment with the individual game mechanics before going into a match and having to deal with all of them. XP and credit gain for these scenarios would have to be minimal/non-existent, to encourage new players to get into the main game, but maybe there could be a reward for completing all of them.

1.Make a scenario mode for one object and tell them how to evade using WASD,where to aim within 3km,how to use island,

they can use premium consumable without doubloon,

where to aim at BB when you are in cruiser(For example, aim at  a little below the deck with AP when BB shows their broadside and aim at a bow or stern with HE when BB shows their bow or stern).

2.Give them AIM ASSIST for one hundred game.

3.Tell them 'Don't try to win so hard' and 'Just enjoy your game' in RANDOM.

4.Show them how to off a chatting window before they start the game in RANDOM.

5.Suggest that they could use a dynamic cross hair has 15 scale mark

when they feel their aim is horrible.

6.Tell them how to set the last position of enemy ship and a detectable range on the map.

7.make an option that you will not be able to see the message from the dead people.

8.They need a tutorial about setting.

Edited by overthebluesky

4 hours ago, overthebluesky said:

Give them AIM ASSIST for one hundred game.

All your other suggestions are good but I can`t agree on this one.

According to me the player should get used to aiming, understanding lead and also noting the seconds to target in the battle interface? and learn dynamic, static cross-hair differences from the start.

By providing an aim-assist for the first hundred games a habit will probably develop in them and it might be harder to actually aim and learn how to go about it.

Then again just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Silver_kun said:

All your other suggestions are good but I can`t agree on this one.

According to me the player should get used to aiming, understanding lead and also noting the seconds to target in the battle interface? and learn dynamic, static cross-hair differences from the start.

By providing an aim-assist for the first hundred games a habit will probably develop in them and it might be harder to actually aim and learn how to go about it.

Then again just my opinion.

I still don't know where to aim when they are coming to me within 3km, and it really makes me feel frustrated when I miss the target right in front of me.

most of novice will feel the same thing. AIM ASSIST would help these people. just show me the answer a few times.

Edited by overthebluesky

How about giving a limited service time or area to a plane of aircraft carrier.

I don't know where I should write this.so I write it here

Edited by overthebluesky

I think this video is a good explanation of why to use the dynamic cross-hair even though its old, So might just be viable to use as a tutorial or base a tutorial on it.

Also has some arguments in favor of the static cross-hair 

Edited by Silver_kun

Fully integrate the training room into a series of training missions. Missions are voluntary and can be done in any order or just skipped entirely.

Mission #    Purpose

1                 Ship navigation. Get from point A to point B navigating through islands. Give a time limit with text pop-up pointers on speed adjustment and steering. Cover the interface and important hotkeys.

2                 Reverse navigation. This can be part of #1. Start with ship bow-in to an island and have to back away. Demonstrate how steering backwards is different from steering forwards.

3                 Spotting ships. While navigating, have DDs, CAs, BBs, and CVs scattered on the map. Time limit to spot them all. Point out different spotting characteristics of different classes.

4                 Gunnery practice #1. stationary ships. text pop-ups talk through binocular view and how to aim. Parts of crosshairs, including how to change them. Both the trainee ship and targets are stationary.

5                 Gunnery practice #2. moving targets. pop-ups talk about leading the targeted ship to get hits.

6                 Gunnery practice #3. Everybody moving. Now the trainee has to get their ship to an exit point with a time limit. Include planning for turret rotation and locking turrets on a bearing. They must also engage all enemy ships they spot along the way.

7                 Gunnery practice #4  HE vs AP. While moving, go against different classes at different angles. pop-up discuss when to use AP and when to use HE. This may be three sub-missions to cover DDs, CAs, and BBs.

8                 Torpedoes! Starts off with stationary targets that slowly begin to move. Pop-ups talk about range and how to aim.

9                 CV play. How to fight as a carrier. Include toggling map modes, launching and recovering planes, and auto drops.

10               Advanced CV play. Manual drops and advanced tactics (cross drops, strafing, controlling multiple groups at once, delaying attacks to get repairs committed before going for additional flooding or fires).

11               Port. Cover the interface (each tab). Also cover forming or joining a division.

Offer a training program where they watch a short 30 -45 video on how to perform a particular action.  Video one might be as simple as a "Welcome to WoWs Captains Academy" , lesson one sailing your ship.   Teach them be demonstration they in turn they execute the same actions. Completed successfully and there is a reward - something small a few XP or credits a free premium day and grows as the courses increase in difficulty.   How to aim and fire your main battery (use your binoculars, took me three days to figure out).   Keep them on a narrow focus, so they are short total time per course five minutes or close to that.  The rewards offered for the course are not earnable once you pass level X, you can take a refresher but not earn a reward.  

Consider offering a premium day as a reward at a very low level or after their first Random battle win or lose.  The day after I tried WoWs you rewarded everyone three premium days due to an update error, after I saw the XP and credits earned playing "Premium" I was hooked.  

I would recommend a system similar to the program for referrals that run in WoT, which I think was successful.  In order to help new players along, the following could be instituted:

1.  Players should be able to invite a friend a friend via the website interface or from dropping into a section in game similar to looking for a division

2. The handshake from the refer a friend should be grant bonuses for XP/credits earned (10%)

3. This program should be tied to a reward ship the player that recruits or mentors a new player in order to provide incentive to the new recruit.  Potentially have it tied to the new recruit as well.

4. Recommend similar construct to WoT program, where the reward ship is granted after the new recruit reaching their first tier 10 ship.

5. In addition to the main reward for reaching tier 10, offer stage rewards for reaching each tier below that, accomplishing certain tasks (accomplishments in battle or mission types), and and profile levels.

On 01/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, overthebluesky said:

3.Tell them 'Don't try to win so hard' and 'Just enjoy your game' in RANDOM.

Not really a good idea. We already have too many people not trying in the least to win the game, and not playing the objectives at all. We should instead be encouraging them to play the objectives, support the team, and try your best to win. After all, winning is part of the game, and the most fun matches happen when both teams are trying their best to win. 

On 2017. 11. 5. at 2:52 PM, Aduial said:

Not really a good idea. We already have too many people not trying in the least to win the game, and not playing the objectives at all.

You don't need to get stressed to win the game and You can't force people to do their best and sacrifice themselves for the team to win the game In RANDOM. People should know this. You can ask for their help but can't blame the others for not helping to win the game. I was someone who had done my best ,sacrificed myself and blamed the others.

Now I realize that this is a just video game and don't need to try so hard to win and get stressed.

You should find out how to enjoy your game even though you lose in RANDOM

and people who start to play this game should know that not everyone is playing the game only to win. 

Edited by overthebluesky

I have seen lots of ideas involving sending players to Youtube, or other exterior sites for prolonged viewing/ learning. I would suggest that this is not really a viable solution to the problem. The perceived problem is a lack of skill/ability/experience among new players. The real problem is that WoWs is a free to play, online game, with thousands of players, most of whom are casual players. They play this game because it is  free and they can hop online any time and play for fun. The key word in all of this is casual. Most of the players are not dedicated, professional PC gamers, nor are they naval historians, and they are not inclined to become either of these things to play a game. They are playing for fun, and if you want to improve their gameplay, you have to make it convenient for them.

Yes, there are gamers out there who will take their first look at WoWs and then obsessively watch every Youtube video on the subject and rapidly accumulate a naval history library that rivals that of Annapolis, but these are not the people you need to be concerned with. The casual gamers, who just want to sink some ships are the ones you need to reach, and for that you need a mechanism within the game itself.

I realize this is more work for the game developers, but if you want people to learn and improve, you have to provide the tools and the environment to facilitate the process, in short, you have to teach them. The thing about teaching is the teacher works harder than any of the students. The payoff is seeing your students exceed your expectations.

It was not my intent to criticize anyone's ideas, merely to help better define the nature and scope of the problem so that appropriate corrective measures can be taken.

Edited by Doombeagle

If not yet said... the training missions need to be outside regular combat modes. They can be repeated but the repeats will not reap rewards. I doubt there are many humans who would enjoy repeating the same missions over and over for no rewards - other than getting good grades. Speaking of which... the rewards should be tied to a grading system... in that the more objectives you complete within a training session, the better your reward, just like the operations mode. 

I'd also - believe it or not - refrain new players from coop/random/etc until they completed the first X training missions with a 75% or above grade. 

The above mentioned idea by @AraAragami is a very nice one according to me. Now would also be a nice time to implement it.

Just was wondering if it is possible to do so as it really is a good idea. Maybe not for all events but at least for some like the World of Warships  2nd birthday celebration or for people who couldn't get Jack Dunkirk.

There was no conclusion since then hence the post. It's a perfect and ripe time to do it before or synchronized with the steam release.

As far as TEACHING players about how to play ships, how about a series of one-time missions?

The objective of the mission involves doing something integral to the ship in question, and can include tips in the mission text. The reward for completing the mission is incentive to do so.

This is kind of a miniature version of the "ship mastery" missions I suggested before, though, where each ship has its own mission chain and completing it gives that ship an extra pennant to show everyone else you've mastered it.

Keep adding if you have ideas! The contest is about to reach the halfway point!

Well to go with @issm's idea of tutorials. I have some ideas for the final rewards upon mission set completion with all stars;

Cruiser: USS Olympia Tier II (I agree with @Kitsunelegend she would be a great tier 2). Missions unlocked at first cruiser purchase.

Destroyer: IJN Sakara Tier II (Tachibana's sister ship). Missions unlocked at first destroyer purchase.

Battleship: SMS Seydiltz Tier III (WW I-era battlecruiser that served with distinction at Jutland, survived to armistice). Missions unlocked at first battleship purchase.

Aircraft Carrier: HMS Hermes or MN Commandant Teste Tier IV (HMS Hermes was the first ship designed to be an Aircraft carrier but Hosho was launched and commissioned first) (Commandant Teste was technically a seaplane tender but the other option Bearn wouldn't fit a tier IV with a 40 aircraft plane capacity). Missions unlocked at first aircraft carrier purchase. 

These missions would be available to new and veteran players to play at any time (rewards only give once).

What do you think @Pigeon_of_War?

Edited by Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi
Twining error