Pigeon_of_War

CONTEST: Bringing on New Players

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

145 posts in this topic

Hello Captains!

Welp, it's no real secret that World of Warships is coming to Steam. Soon, we might have an influx of a large number of players. So here's a common thread I see for our current tutorial mode for World of Warships:

- The mode doesn't teach players well enough about the game

- More advanced mechanics should be taught

- "The noobs keep torping allies"

- Etc

Alright then, YOU HAVE MY EAR.

Here is a contest, I want to hear your ideas in order to teach new players about World of Warships. What are your ideas? How can we do better?

-Now, I'm not exactly asking anyone to make a bunch of tutorial videos, but if you want to, go for it.

-Do you want something like a mentor system? Tell me more about it.

-Do you have a grouping of videos you suggest?

-Etc

So I legitimately want your constructive ideas. At the end of the contest I will submit your ideas up and work with the necessary teams to get it implemented (it doesn't even have to be development related). Your idea won't go unrewarded either. If I pick your idea, you will get:

- Enterprise (or doubloon value if you have it)

- Scharnhorst (or doubloon value if you have it)

- One "Brand New Ship" that isn't released yet, but will be by Contest end

- Three Port Slots

- 20 x Sci-Fi Camo

- The "Coo of Boom" Flag

THE RULES

• Constructive Ideas only. I will personally hide your non-constructive ideas. 
  • No insulting other peoples ideas in this thread. That's a bad. You're better than that. 
  • Wargaming gains exclusive rights to the contest ideas when you post it on the forum, as outlined in the “11. User Generated Content” section of the Terms of Service.
  • By submitting your entry, you agree to the Wargaming Official Sweepstakes Rules.
  • Any violations of the above rules will disqualify your entry.
  • Also, bear in mind I will be the sole picker of your idea (with some team input). This is hyper-subjective, so please understand that though your idea might be great, it might not be what I'm looking for at the time.
  • DEADLINE: Friday 12/01 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

I await to hear how the veteran community will help make the new community GIT GUD. 

the tutorial mode should teach new players how to play for fun and be competitive at the same time

there should be helpful videos on how to build captains for certain ship types and classes as well as recommended ways of playing. 

it might also be helpful to use bots that are somewhat smarter than the average co-op bot as they do a good job for teaching how to aim at a target that can and will dodge. 

it should also maybe have rental ships just for the mode to give new players a taste for what late tier will be like vs early tier 

Something that could help is a quick write up of the strengths and weakness of each nation and their type of ships. Something like, "Nation's X battleships are great at range but suffer close up due to..." and maybe do that for individual ships so that if the play style changes a little at a certain tier, kind of like British BBs, you get a quick description of the play style and changes. That way new players can identify ships and lines they like somewhat easier and have a better idea of that line's strengths and weaknesses. 

Edited by dhg
Grammar

I'd suggest several things, like

-Giving a tutorial mode for brand spanking new carrier players, so we won't see new players in carriers not knowing what to do, or those new players not knowing how to properly counter them so they don't get discouraged from getting torpedoed by a plane.

-Teaching new players how to properly use torpedoes so we'd see a bit less of the random torpedo dropping that a lot of lower tiers have, which generally result in an accidental team kill because they don't have proper distances on screen, except for the minimap. Heck, it'd probably be better to do the grey lining like how the main guns work; you can't target ships that's out of gun range, and apply that to torpedoes.

-Putting in optional tutorial modes that show how to use the mechanics of later tiered ships, like manual torpedo and bomb dropping, as well as how to effectively use smoke and repairs.

I'm all for the mentor system idea and I have many thoughts about how it could be implemented. 

First off, the implementation of it into the game itself. We know the game currently (sorta) supports replays, and there is a free-camera mode that can be used after you're sunk that can be used as a spectator camera (as seen in SL / KoTS broadcasts). There's also options in training room to have battles with spectators, though I don't know quite what that means. In general though, I'd imagine that you could essentially rig up the mentors in "ship" entities. These entities would be set so that they have no properties of their own, but can "spawn" in battles alongside their mentees and operate through the already existing free-camera mode. Heck, if we're really lazy, we could just clone a current ship's entries and sink it by default immediately upon battle entry for a really hack but implementable way. 

The mentor would be able to communicate with the mentee through the division system. For this to happen, first of all, divisions would need to be fixed. No more of that chat server is unavailable [edited]. Asides from that, have a prominent button that would serve a similar purpose to the current "Looking for a Division" button, perhaps label it "Looking for a Mentor". It would primarily serve to attract players of low in-game level (perhaps giving them 250 doubloons or a T2 premium, or some small compensation), but all players would be able to access it. As is with the current division searching, where you can enter in what tiers you want to be playing, who you want to be playing with, etc, it can be just be modified to say what ships / lines you want help with, what specific maps you have issues with, what gameplay elements you're not understanding, etc. Mentors would find these just hanging around in a similar way to the current division search function, and once added to the "division", would be able to voice chat and in-game text chat as divisions do now. 

As far as who these mentors should be, I'd suggest to put some sort of a skill barrier to prevent below-average players from possibly spreading wrong information. I understand that this sounds harsh, but I've had people tell me I'm terrible at playing the Yamato because I got killed after contesting two caps and pushing through the map, since that's not what the Yamato is supposed to do; with 26km range I'm supposed to sit at 20km so I can shoot unhindered. We don't need more of these people. My recommendation would be to set it up so that these players would need to have at over 5*tier games in the ship that the mentee will be playing (i.e. to tutor someone in an Erie, you must've had over 5 games in it; to tutor someone in the Mogami, you must've had at least 40 games in it...), a winrate of over 50%, and above average damage. Mentors would also have to be decent community members, so I'd also definitely put in a restriction on people that are consistently reported for misbehaviour in chat or other offenses. 

As far as compensation for the mentors, I'm a bit cautious. If you make them too significant, you'll have a metric fuckton of people mentoring for the sake of farming these rewards, which can lead to a horrifically inflated economy. I'd suggest that they should be small things that are exclusive to the mentors with some, but not excessive in-game impact. Rewarding unique camouflages, for example, would be really interesting to see. Rewarding certain bonuses (special sales on ships, slots, retraining), could also work. This would also naturally result in the majority of the mentors doing what they do because they're genuinely interested in helping out the playerbase and not just to farm. However, if this does result in too little mentors for too many mentees, I suppose it could be adjusted as it comes. 

By the way, Pigeon, do you know if WG does University-level Co-Op / Internships? I'm a Computer Engineering student and I'd honestly love to spend a term actually implementing some of what I just described. 

Tie the invitation system into steam. To entice older players to maybe adopt a newbie and show them the ropes. Maybe revamp it to give another reward once the invited player reaches teir 10. 

Currently, the players with less than 100 games under their sleeve play in a separate matchmaking. I can hardly see an average Joe grasp all the basic game mechanics nor have any idea of ammo choice and playstyle between different classes within this very limited period of protection. We need to take this period further, for starters.

For an extended period (WG can decide), beginners can rent all ships tier 4 and below to participate in unique scenarios, and be rewarded for completion and progression.

To bolster its effect, I suggest we should establish a unique player-to-player relationship status: mentor&mentee, based on the current platoon systems.

Upon queuing for a beginners' scenario, beginners can opt to open a unique platoon request for more experienced players, called "mentors" to accept.

In order to become a mentor, players should go through a series of challenging mission or champaign to earn this status (potential profit!).

Mentors would receive unique bonuses upon multiple criteria: Completion, progression, and determination.

This system can not only bring new content into WoWs (without adding potentially game-breaking gimmicks) for existing players, but also serve as a helpful welcome to new players as well.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

I think that players should have to complete a tutorial before even being allowed to enter co-op. give them a T6 BB, DD, CL and CV and have it go over the basics of each. autodropping for CVs, how to launch planes, explaining the consumables, explaining positioning and how to lead. Explain the difference between HE and AP and the general situations in which you should use them. explain the menu and different options. explain how to lead enemies, explain the economy and how XP works, and explain the different game modes. Provide links to the forum, the reddit, and iChases captain academy videos as well as Flamu and Notser's channel. additionally, have a button in the port with all these links in it. also, update the F1 screen, it still shows an Aoba with 10k HP, lol. also explain the strengths and weaknesses of each line, in game and preferably in the tech tree.

Edited by Kingpin61

1 minute ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Intriguing. Wargaming stated for 5 years, they would never go to steam. Glad you all are finally repealing your stubbornness. +1

You know the Salt will be so epic once the drop hits that maps will look like the salt flats after one day:)

A breakdown of each nation's lines.

Japense Cruisers have good HE, passable AP, good concealment

American Cruisers have good HE, AP that have great pen values, decent concealment, and get Radar. Tooltips about the gaining of consumbales that are unlocked after you have researched on a ship.

I want the tips to include things that aren't fully obvious from the panels, like what their playstyle should be.

An explanation about how to shoot, and penetration, I know my personal skill level boosted after watching Ichase's video on proper aiming and how to use bullet time to target to estimate lead.

Angling, and how do you do it.

The proper way to torpedo someone.

When I started playing the biggest thing I had a problem with is what everything did. You through a whole crap ton of numbers my way and I was just like "what is this". To help new players understand the what, how, and why, I would love to see more of an interactive video tutorial. Where the games explains simply (with talk or text) what this thing does.

For example: hydroacustics. While talking about it have it zoom intto the icon to identify the consumable then zoom into minimap to show and explain the range, all while incorporating what it does, aka spot torpedos sooner. Give one or 2 example of when to use it and when not to use it and boom you got yourself a good tutorial.

However, it wasn't just consumables you need t o include a sense of scale forf secondaries, aa main battery guns. Basically the more info you have about the game, the better off the players will be.

Long story short. Interactive cutscene tutorial.

Soo her is my take on how to help newbies git gud.

We should have a coaching system in WoWs, similar to the one found in Team Fortress 2

Coaches will be randomly assigned to students, and can watch a match be played from the view of a spectator (with team vision enabled), and will have the ability place markers on the student's HuD that tells them to Go here, watch out for torpedoes, capture this area etc etc. Maybe even with have special voice commands such as deploy smokescreen, or activate hydro.    

The student will also have a private chat to communicate with the coach during the game, for advise, strats etc etc.

Now, why would anyone be a coach? Well, as incentive, coaches can receive a small amount of free XP, or a special flag, and if they continue to be a good coach (as rated by the students), then offer discounts, doubloons and premium time (maybe? Something like that).

To become a coach, you would probably need to have around a 50%+ winrate

Also, the pros and cons of every line should be given, as well as a basic role given to them to help new players decide which line they are going to grind down e.g. "American Destroyers have high fire rate and high turret traverse speed, longer lasting smoke but low shell velocity, bad torpedoes at the lower tiers. Suited for contesting caps and destroying other destroyers"

Edited by Yamato123270

If you want to update the tutorial for World of Warships, follow the model for World of Warplanes. World of Warplanes taught you how to play each and every class of aircraft. The same needs to happen in World of Warships. Each class needs to have a separate tutorial.

Also, the mode needs to teach each class each consumable, period. Each and every consumable. They also need to follow the American/Japanese consumable layout for this. Don't throw smoke screens and speed boosts at cruiser players at tier 2, they don't need that. In addition, teach them shell types as well. There needs to also be a second tutorial at tier 5 as well. When you transition from guns dotted along the hull to guns in turrets, you need another tutorial. It is a different style of gameplay and needs to reflect that.

In addition, stop with all the 3rd party resources for teaching people how to play. Most players will not go out and seek there own help. They don't care unless it is packaged in the game. You can task a thousand CC's make a million tutorials, but 90% of people aren't going to care unless it is base game.

There should be a tutorial challenge fitted for each ship archetype: When a player first unlock them, they receive a rental of a mid-tier ship of that archetype (Fubuki -- Torpboat DD, Minsk -- Gunboat DD, Nagato -- BB, Cleveland -- CA, Independence -- CV, etc. Mostly t6-7 that are the signature of that archetype). The rental will only be available to complete a quest (or a questchain) that teaches the player how the quest archetype works. 

For example, a Fubuki challenge would look like this: 
Level 1: Sail through ten different Surveillance stations undetected and cap two points. This teaches the player the concealment advantage of IJN DDs. 

Level 2: Kill an enemy ship with Torpedoes without being detected. Fubuki might even start with only 10 Health. This teaches the player the stealth-torp capabilities of IJN DDs and tells them the primary strength of IJN DDs. 

And progressively more challenging levels. Completing all of them would reward a captain for the starting ship (6-10 points?). The more difficult the challenge, the better the player will learn about the ship and being able to use them in battle. The better the incentive, the more likely a player will go through the tutorials. (Getting a 6-point commander takes at least 15 matches without the proper buffs)

I know iChase is no longer a CC for WG, but, his Captain Academy videos are a very good source of info for game mechanics and such.

One video I've posted or seen posted multiple times is his revised "How to Aim" video. He has lots of good info in there and even goes on to explain why it's so different to shoot at destroyers versus other surface ships. Granted, his video is only for the static crosshair, and not the dynamic, but I believe the static is still default, so new players would easily learn some of the important ins and outs to aiming effectively. Of the few times I drop down to low tiers(usually to start a new line or such), I tend to notice that a lot of newer players don't even lead their targets. They simply place their crosshair on the ship they want to shoot, then wonder why all their rounds aren't hitting the target. Actually teaching players the basics on how to lead and aim at a moving target would go a long way to improving gameplay for the whole playerbase.

And aiming effectively leads to better performance in-game which should in turn lead to longer player retention due to lower frustration with the game.

Here's the video for reference:

I'm not suggesting that you guys just take the video and use it, but maybe something could be worked out with Chase, I don't know. But, as I said above, that video has a lot of good info and a good explanation on leading moving targets.

Also, wow, Steam. I didn't think you guys at WG would ever go that route.

7 minutes ago, shadedude60 said:

Tie the invitation system into steam. To entice older players to maybe adopt a newbie and show them the ropes. Maybe revamp it to give another reward once the invited player reaches teir 10. 

Also this.^

Some of my friends that use Steam might actually want to try the game. Allowing us to use the invite system through Steam would be a great way to entice them to try the game out and for those of us that know and use Steam already to get our friends to try the game out.

15 minutes ago, jak3combat said:

I'd suggest several things, like

-Giving a tutorial mode for brand spanking new carrier players, so we won't see new players in carriers not knowing what to do, or those new players not knowing how to properly counter them so they don't get discouraged from getting torpedoed by a plane.

-Teaching new players how to properly use torpedoes so we'd see a bit less of the random torpedo dropping that a lot of lower tiers have, which generally result in an accidental team kill because they don't have proper distances on screen, except for the minimap. Heck, it'd probably be better to do the grey lining like how the main guns work; you can't target ships that's out of gun range, and apply that to torpedoes.

-Putting in optional tutorial modes that show how to use the mechanics of later tiered ships, like manual torpedo and bomb dropping, as well as how to effectively use smoke and repairs.

for the last point

stuff like alternative battle interface should be on by default as options like that including smoke timer and other stuff are heavily useful and lacking them will make the game harder to play, thus turning off new players to warships 

I suggest adding a mentor system. Because the meta of the game is always changing and any tutorial can easily get outdated. and rewards would be involved.

The reward for the new player would be good experience, while the reward for the veteran would be a small amount of doubloons or other prize similar to the oct. revolution's daily mission when it was around. The new player can rate their mentor and if a player is constantly getting bad ratings he could be blocked from queuing for a "classroom". The mentoring queue would put you in a "classroom" (that's just a random low tier map) where the veteran could face either anywhere from 1 to 5 new players depending on how many people are in the queue but the veteran would have a sort of OP mode where he could enable invulnerability to certain people including himself in order to talk. The "classrooms" would be divided by tier, so like since tier 1 basically a boring pool of noobs the "classrooms" would be available at tiers 2-4 for cruisers and destroyers, tier 3-4 for bbs, and tier 4 for cvs (the mentor could enable or disable manual attacks for the cv class). The reason all ship classes would get educated at teir 4 is because they would need to know how to deal with cvs. the veteran could also spawn in bots on his team that he has full control over (except cvs, cause a cv bot is nothing like a real cv player) in order for the new players to practice on. And all this power would be kept in check because, the mentors can be rated.

Discord would be encouraged but not required, and the mentor would provide the link to the discord server. Standard internet safety rules apply.

I believe in a game as complex and unique as this, it's must better to have a real person teaching them rather than looking at a tutorial. This ^ is all I could brainstorm since this thread was dropped and I hadn't given it much thought beforehand but I hope you like this idea.

First of all, thank you for putting this forward, I think as a contest it will be a challenge for folk and may boil down to some great suggestions. 

Spoiler

I am part of a clan that is an offshoot of a larger unit that does organized play for a number of other games. We have a training and qualification program that supplements the in-game training that each of those games have built in. Each trainee is required to beat another competent player in a 1v1 match in order to attain rank within the clan. They are also required to be mentored, and to meet standards of behavior, a code of conduct, in order to attain that initial rank. Our clan has been looking at the training room within WoWs to achieve that function, but are excited to provide feedback, should WG wish to implement something in-game.

My idea is this: as a benefit to any clan that wishes to spend oil on it, create a sort of 'super' training room with a better user interface, and tutorial modules that would have links to the videos already produced for each class of warship, and additional video content that can include discussions about tiers, certain weapon types, consumables and so forth. Allow the 'super' training room to emulate clan battles, ranked battles and so forth, and allow two clans who already have spent oil to unlock the interface, to train against each other or to stage exhibition matches outside WGs seasons for just bragging rights. 

If the drawback to WG is that the training room does not cost refit silver for each match, it would be solved by the requirement of oil to be spent to unlock particular features. 

Anyway, thanks again for the opportunity to make a difference. It's the only thing lasting that we can do!

I think the simplest and most effective way to teach new players about the game is to provide an easy to locate place ingame with many external guides, videos, posts, etc. There are many helpful guides/reviews out there like LWMs premium ship reviews, or Youtube videos like IChase’s where he goes in depth about game mechanics. However, a big chunk of the playerbase will never know about these extremely beneficial resources because they are not mentioned anywhere ingame. I don’t see a huge need to implement a complicated tutorial or something like that when there are already so many great resources already. The only issue right now is that many players are not aware of the existence of these, but if they were mentioned ingame, so much more people would become aware and we would likely get a much more knowledgeable playerbase.

Haha! just posted this and then read the flood of prior suggestions. Hive mind is very busy today!

15 minutes ago, Yamato123270 said:

We should have a coaching system in WoWs, similar to the one found in Team Fortress 2

what coaching system in tf2?

there is none.

A tutorial twitch stream where viewers get the chance to win stuff.    Only accounts with less than X battles can get rewards. 

I'm actually going to roll with your "mentor program" basis.

Players with at least 1000 games played with a win percentage decided by WG could opt into a "Mentor" status through an in-game menu option.  Doing so would mark them both in-game (possibly through a flag similar to the auto-equipped flag of Yamamoto) and in the forums, making them easily identifiable by all players.  Mentors would also gain access to a text channel in-game that all new players would be auto-joined to, allowing new players quick and easy access to a vast pool of knowledge garnered by veteran players.  Making use of the already available "searching for division" tool, Mentors would be able to put themselves up as available (and distinguished from other people looking for divisions), at which point all players who fit the "new player" category would be able to freely join a division with them without having to contact the mentor directly prior to the division.

Mentors would be encouraged to do everything they can, from providing links to youtube/forum guides, to personally teaching tactics and skills to new players in order to help them flourish in the game.  Toxicity among mentors would be closely monitored, to ensure that poor behavior does not spread to new players.

New players would receive a message the first time they log in (with small reminders the next few times) explaining the mentor system and directing them to the channel and "looking for division" tab, where they would be able to easily contact mentors for any help they might need.

Training room battles would be enabled to allow Mentors to take new players into 1 on 1 (or more) sessions to teach them everything from armor mechanics to leading shots, and everything in-between.  This allows for much more in-depth explanations than mid-battle tips.

A new sub-section of the "guides" area of the forum would be created, where mentors could post their own guides and answer questions posed by new players.  This further expands the options for new players to learn the ins and outs of the game.

Let's not stop there though, because we've yet to provide an incentive for new players and veteran players alike to take part in this system.  As nice as it would be to expect that people would willingly take part to better themselves or the community, people always work better when rewards are there.

Benefits for new players divisioning with a Mentor:*
1 game with a Mentor= 3 day premium time
5 games with a Mentor= One tier 2 premium ship (not provided by a referral code)
10 games with a Mentor= 10,000 free experience
20 games with a Mentor= One tier 5 premium ship (not provided by a referral code)
30 games with a Mentor= Unique "Graduate" flag, provides 5% credit and experience bonus

Benefits for Mentors divisioning with a new player:*
10 games with a new player= 3 days premium time
20 games with a new player= USS Texas (usually provided by a referral code, given as a thank you for supporting the community)
30 games with a new player= 1 week premium time
40 games with a new player= 40,000 free experience
50 games with a new player= Unique "Mentor" flag, provides 5% credit and experience bonus

*Number of battles/rewards may be adjusted as WG sees fit.

I believe this system would serve well to help new players both connect with the player base, as well as to help them learn the game and ease the frustrations of not knowing how things work.