Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

SO, hey, I got the Kii and....

4 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
2,026 posts
18,414 battles

Shes not a bad ship, and she is good looking.  How ever I personally feel she underperforms compared to Amagi.   She's still lacking something but I'm not sure what that is.  Some matches the guns are  like "Yep, you dead, don't even try running. I won't be missing"  to "How could you miss that shot?"  Still if your lead and movement predictions are good the shells do tend to be consistent about the shell paths and shell pattern on landing and you can take advantage of it.. Ummm... it's not easy to do.. but yes you can.  Which is a bit of a same same with all IJN big guns ships.  (if not all big gun ships).   Her main guns however are noticeably less consistent over time then that of the Amagi.  She does have solid AA performance that can be enhanced, or you can choose to enhance your secondary out put, and be in known that a full on secondary build for her makes her noticeably nasty close in especially if you run IFHE for those 100mm mounts.   They will shread Destroyers and Cruisers you catch up close, and will mess up Battleship paints jobs.  Remember those torpedo's.  The torps do feel improper for the ship.  These are 3 tube launchers, at a tier where the 4 tube launcher is the mount on all IJN ships of the tier. They do have an utterly excellent fire arc which is their major saving grace. but warhead strength, speed, and range.  The do hit sufficiently hard to finish off a grapple range target that you've all ready put damage on so don't forget you have them. You can be all ready sniffing for the next kill if you do adapt to using them in close action..   You can of course spec die hard mode (which is a concept gaining in popularity right now.  A good thing.)   But there's only so much you can do there compared to other BB/BC's and you might get more utillity out of her by going to max aggression secondary build which will do nice things for your AA. Go get a beautiful death while selecting your honor guard from your opponents.    

Now her armor is.. well.. you might call her a a battleship but she seriously more battlecruiser.  Tends to take large chunks of damage quickly (could just be the way I drive...*looks innocently at ceiling*)  Her torpedo protection is bad.  If you've driven an Ishizuchi this will feel very familiar to you. Torpedo's mess you up big time.  Get your AA focused on torpedo bomber early, and plan how your going to move because she does not turn easy and your just get the one chance to get it right.  Just be aware if a carrier wants you dead and they are any good at all even a full on AA build will not save you for more then a single strike and you likely will take significant damage.  Nor or you likely to shoot down sufficient air craft to dicourage a send strike.   This is the reason I personally don't go for the AA build or survival build.   I do not feel you can do sufficient to mask or off set the ships weaknesses with ones setup.  Going full secondary does improve base AA by a chunk.   And you will have the confidence in your ships gun performance to risk close action.   Also consider doing what you can to enhance your main guns.  you have 10 16" good with good range, a spotter plane (there is an upgrade which will keep your spotter in the air quite a bit longer use it here if you have one, and it goes in the first slot)  

You can be a very hard hitting dangerous ship in a Kii, but taking punishment..not so much, just sufficient to get your licks in and have an effect.   You are a Battle Cruiser.

And a thanks to Wargame.net and world of warships NA team (esp TagicLoss, and TrevsorFTW) for the Kii I received from the live stream drawing..  and if there is a way I can earn the Makoto Kobayashi cammo for it, let me know. 

and for that matter.. it doesn't even have to be the cammo.. It can be a full on skin..  I'd run around without cammo just to look at it because it's awesome cool looking!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,221 posts
24,618 battles

She is what she is.  She is an Amagi that trades off some armor, main battery accuracy for good AA and very gimpy torpedoes.

Now, you COULD fit Kii with ASM1 and her main battery accuracy will be every bit as good as Amagi's.  But then again, an ASM1 fitted Amagi with AFT and possibly BFT is exactly the same thing, minus gimpy torpedoes, but you have Amagi's better protection than Kii's.

If you go AAGM2 on Kii, then the main battery dispersion is really trollish.  Sometimes it reminds me of, "Yeah, just like Amagi."  Sometimes it's reminds me of "Bad Fuso accuracy but less guns to really shotgun the target for hits."

The ship is alright, but honestly, Amagi is already pretty dang close and better in some ways.  However, that special camo by Makoto Kobayashi is a darn nice perk.

Overall, it's a Premium that WG tread a very careful line in terms of balance.  I think it's a good, albeit slightly quirky premium, and one that doesn't throw the Tech Tree version under the bus.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HEROS]
Members
2,026 posts
18,414 battles

Yep.. I admit I got a freebie but it wasn't the cammo packing freebie.   Yep if yer drop cash drop on package with the cammo folks..!

Sign in to follow this